AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/16/2004 4:47:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:58:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Ouch.

And that's all I've got to say about that.

Thanks for checking this out Troy.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:02:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine came in 50 round boxes and your box says 50 rounds yet you have only 40 rounds. WTF?

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:17:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:02:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Troy,

Thank you for testing this stuff out and making an effort to do so quickly.  The data speaks for itself though I am curious as to what you think about the varyation between boxes? All 50 that I fired,  which is admitadly so a small sample, fired without any trouble and unless Bushmaster is having big problems, my rifle has proper headspace. I would have expected several problems based on the high number of rounds that you found out of spec. and the extent to which they were over length. Is this basically the same crap-shoot of good and bad that has always beent the deal with Olympic?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:07:36 PM EDT
[#5]
double post - deleted
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:52:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, I am disappointed. But I can't say I'm surprised. Thanks for checking this out Troy.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:44:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:51:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Troy - If I havent told you lately..... you da man!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:22:42 PM EDT
[#9]

I bought 1000 rds.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:09:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:24:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Troy --> <-- Olympic Ammo
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:51:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Troy,

I am confused.

It appears that you are using a ".223 Remington" gauge and not one for "5.56x45" M193 Mil-Spec.

For everyone's consideration ... Winchester's comments on .223 Remington vs 5.56x45 M193.

Email sent.

Bob

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:17:30 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Troy,

I am confused.

It appears that you are using a ".223 Remington" gauge and not one for "5.56x45" M193 Mil-Spec.

For everyone's consideration ... Winchester's comments on .223 Remington vs 5.56x45 M193.

Email sent.

Bob

*sigh*
Check your own link---the first line is this----->"The cartridge casings for both calibers have basically the same length and exterior dimensions. "

5.56 is loaded to HIGHER pressures than .223--the two cartridges are dimensionally identical.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:20:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:29:35 AM EDT
[#15]

Thank you Mr. Troy. Many here do not have the money to waste on junk. It's Mod's/Staff like you that keep me coming back,  I am going to buy a membership!

Thanks
Samuel
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:36:35 AM EDT
[#16]
I just past up some of this ammo the other day.

The price was ok but I seemed to remember an issue with the stuff last year so I passed. Low and behold it is the same stuff.

Damn I love this place

Thanks Troy for taking the time to do the review.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:48:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Gentlemen,

*DEEP SIGH*

1) BASICALLY or NEARLY IDENTICAL is not the same as EXACTLY IDENTICAL!

2) From the WINCHESTER COMMENT.....

The 5.56mm and .223 Rem chambers are nearly identical. The difference is in the "Leade". Leade is defined as the portion of the barrel directly in front of the chamber where the rifling has been conically removed to allow room for the seated bullet. It is also more commonly known as the throat. Leade in a .223 Rem chamber is usually .085". In a 5.56mm chamber the leade is typically .162", or almost twice as much as in the 223 Rem chamber.

3) Since everyone else has TRIED this ammo in a GUN designed with a 5.56 chamber,...May I politely and with all due respect ask that you do the same.

Take my "leade". Bob
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:01:30 AM EDT
[#18]
*DEEPER SIGH*  

You comment on using the wrong ammo guages (which dont exist)... then switch to talking about chamber dimensions.  Huh?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:14:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:17:10 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Gentlemen,

*DEEP SIGH*

1) BASICALLY or NEARLY IDENTICAL is not the same as EXACTLY IDENTICAL!

2) From the WINCHESTER COMMENT.....

The 5.56mm and .223 Rem chambers are nearly identical. The difference is in the "Leade". Leade is defined as the portion of the barrel directly in front of the chamber where the rifling has been conically removed to allow room for the seated bullet. It is also more commonly known as the throat. Leade in a .223 Rem chamber is usually .085". In a 5.56mm chamber the leade is typically .162", or almost twice as much as in the 223 Rem chamber.

3) Since everyone else has TRIED this ammo in a GUN designed with a 5.56 chamber,...May I politely and with all due respect ask that you do the same.

Take my "leade".

Bob

Hi Bob,
Let me correct my prior statement. With the exception of possibly minute differences between different mfg's, in the sense that perhaps one's case walls maybe be a bit thicker or thinner, and angle of the shoulder may vary ever so slightly,
but
.223 Rem and 5.56mm NATO have IDENTICAL EXTERNAL DIMENSIONS Hence, no such thing as 5.56 case gauges, as those two are identical!!

The LEADE is part of the chamber cut! Re-read your posted link please. Better yet, read the Ammo-Oracle. It should answer all of your questions.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:29:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Gentlemen,

May I offer my apologies is I appear as an irritant.,...and submit that we must recognize that we are BROTHERS in this hobby. We must never let "THEM" (the anti-gunners) see that we DISAGREE (never ROLLEYES).

We only DISCUSS.

Quoted:
Gentlemen,

EDITED FOR CLARITY.....

Bob

The "case" guage that I have seen says 5.56x45 BALL. Maybe I assumed the "leade" was included? Maybe not?

If this ammo was NO GOOD I would not shoot, stock, or SELL it. There is other brands available to us to use at the range. I have no VESTED interest in Olympic's sucess or failure. All I know is that the rifles I tested 1000 rounds in, all of them, sang like a "lark".

Troy, could it t be the longer leade allows the cart to chamber effectively in rifles designed for 5.56 MIL-SPEC??  If so, is it my "dumb luck" that it all worked?

Bob
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:04:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:09:05 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

There is nothing personal here.  I am taking no sides, and put no blame on anyone.  I'm simply reporting the facts.

-Troy

Agreed.

I wil be ordering a .223 Frankford Arsenal guage ASAP, and I will try to get ahold of the guage I mentioned. I have not a seen that "unit" since we loaded 5.56 on a Dillon hand crank progressive in the late '70s and earlry"80s..

We used to get $13 a hundered for reloaded mil-surp, and that was in 70's DOLLARS!

Bob

PS,..I eagrly await your "range report".
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:56:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Ordered mine today...
Sinclair has em too but made by Wilson...

AR15_finatik
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:30:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for the report Troy.
I stand by MY review. I only shot the stuff, I didnt measure the stuff.
The stuff I had shot and functioned fine in my RRA M4gery, which I understand has a .223 Wylde chamber if you care.
I'm a shooter, not an ammo expert or reloader even. I have bought plenty of ammo purely on price and so far I have not been dissapointed.(I did have a bad experience with American Amunition .45ACP)
One of the best deals I ever got was surplus Guatemalan that was all green and corroded but it was very cheap and it shot great. I bet hardly any of it would have fit in that case guage.
I would STILL buy this ammo myself because I liked it a lot, it worked fine in my rifle, and the price is great. Everyone who has shot it has liked it and has had zero issues. YMMV
Are you still going to shoot this and give a range report? I want to hear what you think of how it shoots as well.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:36:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:04:22 PM EDT
[#27]

I should have added that I can see usefulness with the guage verifying ball ammo prior to loading up clips but since I cast & reloading pistol ammo, this case guage will most likely compliment the  bullet puller and case trimmer.  Anybody getting the same thoughts with investing in a reasonable (Lee) single stage to 'fix' any out 'o spec rounds? hinking.gif  May take a lil time but heck, all rounds will be shootable...

ar15_finatik  
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:19:29 PM EDT
[#28]

Just FYI, the Wilson gauges are slightly different, in that they are cut off at the point where the FA gauge has the slot. Thus, they can measure only the case, and not offer an overall length evaluation.

Yes, very true...Based on their description with using dial calipers to check cartridge OAL
http://www.sinclairintl.com/images/gold/thumb/WXCG.jpg

I did order the Frankfort Arsenal from Midway...mainly because I had an excuse to buy that
ergo grip I've wanted....
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:15:19 PM EDT
[#29]
I am far from being an expert on this.

I rec'd 1000 rds Olympic today and I went to the range...today.  Just got back home.

I wisely waiting until the end to shoot the Olympic.  Shot about 500rds of Q3131a, XM193, and XM855, no problems.

Started with 1 box of Olympic.  Loaded one mag with 30rds, the second mag with 20 rds.  Starting shooting the 30rd mag first....on or about round #20, I experienced a failure to extract.  I did not bring a rod with me because I never have problems lately.  I tried to cycle the bolt many times to no avail.  That cartridge was stuck.  I finished up with my 12ga and G17, came home.  Won't go without rod again.

At home, I used a rod to remove the case, it took a few whacks to break it loose, reminded me of Wolf.  If anyone wants to examine the case, I can mail it to you, or try to take and post detailed pictures.

I am not happy with this ammo.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:02:27 PM EDT
[#30]
I've seen more than enough evidence to tell me that Olympic is never a brand of ammo I will buy.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:23:42 PM EDT
[#31]
This is what I use to measure the base to shoulder dimensions of my cases. When the zeros line up on the mic, the case is at the minimum ANSI level of dimension "A" as shown in the pic. Substitute the 30-06 numbers in the drawing with the .223 numbers, 1.4636 min to 1.4736 max. The case in the pic (Q3131) is .003" smaller than minimum. And this lot of Q was all under minimum and varied no more than .003", from .001" to .004" under minimum.
Sorry, but I don't have any of the new Olympic to measure or I would.
]
Larry
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:25:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:31:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:05:58 PM EDT
[#34]
This is 4 different shots of the same one shell.

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:07:49 PM EDT
[#35]
It took a little while to find, but I have a link for the Frankford guage at Midway

www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/487730
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:01:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:43:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Troy,

I am using an older Gauge that is cut to length so as to indicate Case OAL.

All 100 rounds sent to me by Dan checked out OK.

Also ran a handfull through a "Reamer matched" barrel stub gauge from an old Varmint rifle I put together without any problems indicated.

This ammo cannot be from the same lot!!!!!
At least as we know of lot consistency!

The oddness of having several range reports indicating no failures and good accuracy, contrasted by your report, and the report of high pressures/ extraction problems is what has me wondering about somethng I noticed earlier.

Neither box of the Olympic ammo sent to me, bore any sign of a lot number.
I have yet to see a lot number on any of the Olympic ammo boxes I have handled or have fired.

Something just ain't right,.

I have time tomorrow to run some ammo over the screens before training.

Will be using a 16" Bushy M4 1/9.
If you have access to a similar rifle a comparative might be possible so as to indicate the possibility of QA/QC wandering during this lot, IF the ammo is in fact from the same lot.

Also have a 20" 1-9 Bushy and an older 1-12 Colt at hand for the same if it is easier to standardize with.

Will have to wait a couple of days to get numbers from a 16" 1-7 and a 14.5" 1-7, if that is what is available on your side.

If you can, holler on the E-mail or post before 0900.

Will post my numbers later in the afternoon or evening.

S-28

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 4:01:26 AM EDT
[#38]
EDITED.....

Quoted:
Troy,

Something just ain't right,.

S-28

S,

I agree.  Something does not "add" up at all.

Quoted:
It took a little while to find, but I have a link for the Frankford guage at Midway

www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/487730

TM,

Interesting,...check out this Midway link ... Ammo in stock at Midway

I have a headache.

Bob
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 9:58:18 AM EDT
[#39]
I almost bought this ammo at a gunshow but was very hesitant from what I've heard about the Olympic stuff.. the second they told me it was Greek ammo I was skeptical... good thing I passed.... that would have pissed me off.. thanx guys for doing this..
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 11:32:54 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I tried to cycle the bolt many times to no avail.  That cartridge was stuck.  I finished up with my 12ga and G17, came home.  Won't go without rod again.

LOL. Sounds familiar. Happened to me too, and now I have a cheapo 3 piece rod in my range bag. Mine happened on the first round of the second mag, and I had no other guns - that was a wasted day, let me tell you....
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:58:16 AM EDT
[#41]
OK guys,

Sorry I'm a day late.
Had some issues getting home last night, and no time when I did.

Here's the Chrono numbers from yesterday.

16" Bushy Civillian M4.
1-9 twist.
Temp. 74 degrees.
Distance from muzzle to first screen- 15'

Ammo- Olympic sent from Dans sporting goods( Thanks Dan!!!!).
( No lot number on either box)
Supposed to be 55 gr. bullet.  (Havn't pulled and weighed any yet)

Case head is stamped -  NPA 99  5.56X45

10 shot string.

Lo- 2683
Hi- 2939
Avg. - 2811
ES- 255.7  
SD- 82.26  

In order of firing.

1- 2786
2- 2683
3- 2685
4- 2783
5- 2939
6- 2868
7-2891
8- 2807
9- 2826
10- 2842

Same ammo, conditions, and distance, but run through a 20" Bushy 1-9".

lo-2884
hi-3137
Avg.-3026
ES.- 252.6
SD.- 108.1

In order of firing.

1- 3109
2- 2889
3- 3066
4- 3137
5- 3108
6- 3102
7- 2897
8- 2945
9- 2884
10- 3125

After running the 16" M4 and getting the numbers that came up I thought maybe the Chrono was suffering from the angle of the sun as it was still early enough that it might potentially be at fault, so I grabbed the Ruger MKII and ran a string of  Eley Tenex across the screens.
Nope. The chronograph was working fine.

The numbers from the 20" rifle coroborate with the ES. and SD the numbers from the 16" barrel.

I will note that there were no malfunctions with either string of 10, but 20 rounds is insignificant as a test of reliability.

Accuracy testing will have to wait some more, as I have yad my schedule "Altered" yet again.
Gelatin will come Tuesday and not today.

Gonna be busy with catching up after working days that wren't planned.
Sorry for the delay.

The Low average velocitys and "Highish" SD. clearly indicates that this Olympic ammo is NOT match ammo by any means, and indicates that is not a match for M193.

If the case dimensions were such that it was reliable, it might however be an alternative to Wolf for close range practice and general blasting.
The inconsistency of reports here, has me concerned about that aspect however.

S-28

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:15:21 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I will note that there were no malfunctions with either string of 10, but 20 rounds is insignificant as a test of reliability.

S-28

S,

Getting zero malfunctions out of twenty rounds tested, draws a more informed conclusion than ones made elsewhere assuming that this ammunition will yeild multiple failures when NOT ONE SHOT has been FIRED!

Bob
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:58:06 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
The Low average velocitys and "Highish" SD. clearly indicates that this Olympic ammo is NOT match ammo by any means, and indicates that is not a match for M193.

If the case dimensions were such that it was reliable, it might however be an alternative to Wolf for close range practice and general blasting.
The inconsistency of reports here, has me concerned about that aspect however.

S-28

Looking at your shot strings, it appears that the velocity variations occured at about the same rate as Troy's report of inconsistently sized ammo. There seems to be a direct correlation, which would substantiate what Troy was afraid of - the cartridge being resized by the force of the cartridge being chambered.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:24:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Akron,

So very true.

However, bear in mind that as tolerences loosen up, so does the average of "Failures".

In our case we look at "Failures" as deadly.

"Failures" that go unnoticed due to lack of drama (Stuck cases, blown primers, cartidges that are ejected manually in FTF reflex during proper training and practice, light striker hits, poor accuacy etc,) add up.

For every 30 minor failures, there will be 2 significant failures, for every 10 significant failures there will be a catastrophic failure.

The aspect of focus and constant attention to betterment is what is at issue.

The indications of dimensional lack of attention/ QC speaks volumes.

If there is such a blatent and almost negligent disregard to the attention of critical cartridge dimension,  I ask myself "Where else have they cast but a casual eye"?

Powder charge"
Projectile diameter?
Metalurgical considerations?

Realize that I am just as much an anal retentive pain in the ass when handed factory new Match ammo as I am when running Wolf through the rifle.

Shooter safety and consistency is what I concentrate on.

The indications from the 20 rounds fired so far are thus that things are a bit "Loose" and suspect over in Greece.

If all of this ammo is from the same lot, and all of the reports thus far are 100% truth, things are about as consistent as Michigan weather with this "Lot" of ammo.

I'm still open minded mind you.
But have seen the same indications of trouble in the past.
Even if I really WANT to be wrong.
All the numbers and details  ain't in yet.

S-28

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:52:10 PM EDT
[#45]
zhukov,

The correlation you are seeing might also be from less than concentric projectiles, inconsistent bullet "Pull", powder charge variation, Primer inconsistency, and Brass issues as well, and in the end might be any combination thereof.

There does however appear to be a common number involved, for whatever the root cause.

I will say this however.
This bunch of Olympic ammo IS better than the stuff I have run in the past.

We might be a bunch of anal retentive and possibly overly critical "Starfish", but this stuff IS an improvement.
This is promising. It means someone IS paying attention, and making efforts to address the otherwise DISMAL state of affairs.

I ain't done yet.
I still hope for the best.
20 rounds over the screens through 2 different rifles means but little really.

Did I mention I REALLY want an alternative to Wolf for affordable high volume CQB practice ammo?

I know what you are saying, and agree.
Just choose to put on the blinders for now.

Still have 80 rounds left.

In fairness to Dan, I will wait untill all 100 are down range to make a final statement.

Average my comments into the others in the end.

I suspect, possibly, both Troy and I got the opposite ends of the bell curve with this stuff.
(Checked the Case Gauge tonight with a buddys recently purchased Dillon case gauge, and all 80 remaining rounds came out OK..??)

I will be buying a case from Dan either way, as my curiosity is piqued, and more than 100 rounds is needed.

S-28

P.S.
This would NOT be necessary if the UN and the current criminal govt. of South Africa had not cut off the supply of good and cheap practice ammo!!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:54:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Bumped due to a couple of Olympic ammo threads on first page, and this thread provides lots of good info.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:47:33 AM EDT
[#47]
I just want to be clear with the one post I did make.  It will be my last post since I don't have any more Olympic ammo to fire.  The few rounds that I did get to fire, approximately 30, I got a failure to extract.  That's one round.  This was fatal for me since I didn't have a rod on hand, but I don't think this is a factual representation of Olympic ammo since the first 29 fired without a hitch.  I can't say either way, I'm in no position to judge it at this point.

I am dissatified with the ammo only because I have thousands and thousands of "other" brands of 5.56mm ammo, I'm not really looking for a low[er] cost alternative, this is my first and last AR, I had bad experiences with Wolf, and I take my weapons with me all over the country and often to Alaska....I simply cannot afford a problem in the field that could end a trip or prevent me from getting back on an airplane.  Olympic is simply not for me, the risks involved.  YMMV
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:31:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:21:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:01:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Troy,

I will measure all the ammo sent and report my findings.
I have no dogs in this fight, so my report will be based on factual data.
All loaded rounds will be measured and recorded. Half the ammo sent will be pulled apart and components weighed and measured. The other half, the best and most consistant of the lot, will be chronographed.
If it's too far out of spec, I ain't shootin' any of it in my gun....

Thanks,
Larry
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top