BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/12/2003 3:14:11 PM EDT
Please add your personal experience with SILVER BEAR ammunition to this thread. When you do, please give information about:
1) Ammunition used (55gr FMJ, 62gr HP, 62gr SP)
2) Firearm used in
3) Approximate number of rounds fired.

For more information about this ammunition, please visit the Silver Bear website

From RussB's post out of a 16" barrel:
Velocity (62gr): 2907, StdDev=108fps

Let's limit this to .223/5.56 ammunition, since this is an AR-15 forum. No offense to the guys with AR's in other calibers, but we all know that .223 chamberings are the most sensitive.

I am trying to solicit only information about your PERSONAL experience with this ammunition. If you haven't used it, then please don't clutter up the thread. Information about proper functioning (or lack thereof) is obviously the most important, but factors such as the accuracy or other peculiarities you've noticed are informative also. If you have had problems with this ammo which were severe enough to cause you to stop using this ammo, then please describe them.

This post is part of a larger information-gathering effort I'm trying to start about ALL ammunition popular in AR's:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=169729.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 3:47:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Cut and paste of my recent post regarding Silver Bear:

Many on the board have discussed Silver Bear, I have shot it with okay results. The accuracy isn't all that (1-1/2 to 2" in my very accurate AR), but it seemed like good blasting ammo. I was somewhat happy that it worked in my AR (My AR will not fire wolf ammo, my wife's AR does well with wolf).

My wife and I took two boxes of Silver Bear 62gr HP .223 to the last fun shoot in Michigan at the pit. Two boxes is 1,000 rounds. The rounds had the red sealer on both the bullets and primers.

My rifle, the one that does not like wolf, had two failure to feed jams.

My wife's rifle, however, had 8 failure to feed jams, and one very serious problem. A round of Silver Bear chambered and fired, but became stuck in the chamber with the bolt being unable to extract the case.

We had to disasemble the rifle, lever the bolt and carrier back, and rod out the case. The rear of the case and primer was very flat. The case was not over long in a wilson guage.

For a total price of $120 per thousand at the fun show this is not worth the cost savings over Q3131A during an internet sale.

Link Posted: 9/13/2003 4:30:26 PM EDT
[#2]
1) 55 gr. FMJ
2) J&T Distributing unchromed 16" postban kit
3) 500 rounds

Worked perfectly, no failures. Seems very devestating on milkjugs and popcans. I'll keep buying it, and other Russian ammunition - it works perfectly, and the cost savings is fantastic.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 4:48:19 PM EDT
[#3]
62gr HP 223
Barnaul mfg

No problems through a 20" 1-7 FN barrel. 2 @100 yds. A couple hundred rounds fired.

The 7.62 HP ammo is the most accurate of the Russian surplus in my KTR. 2" are the norm.

Plan on buying more. ]=)
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 6:20:19 PM EDT
[#4]
1) Ammunition used:
62 grain HP & 62 grain SP

2) Fireare used:
DPMS Lo-Pro Classic, 16" non chromed

3) Approximate number of rounds fired:
500.  After about 30 rounds I had problems with cases sticking in the chamber.  Discovered this was due to the red sealant.  Since I have 3000 rounds of the stuff I came up with a way to remove the sealant and now it works fin.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 5:48:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Fired 240 rounds in Armalite with no problems what so ever. This is the only steel cased I will shoot. I rarely shoot this ammo as prefer PMC for low cost and can buy it resonable enough to make steel cased not that big a bargain for blasting ammo. We did have a guy shoot the 69 gr Silver Bear once at a DCM match-200yards reduced. He got like a 390 and usually shoots 370-400.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 5:24:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a DPMS A-15. I bought one box of 55gr, JHP just to test it out. I had 2 FTE's out of 20 rounds. The extractor just ripped right through the rim and left the empty in the chamber.

Only problems I have had to date are with this ammo and the Spanish SS109 battlepacks. (Doing the same thing.)
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 11:32:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have a DPMS A-15. I bought one box of 55gr, JHP just to test it out. I had 2 FTE's out of 20 rounds. The extractor just ripped right through the rim and left the empty in the chamber.

Only problems I have had to date are with this ammo and the Spanish SS109 battlepacks. (Doing the same thing.)
View Quote

See my post above about WHY you probably get FTE with this ammo.  In fact, I had problems with good ammo sticking in the chamber afer shooting a lot of Silver Bear.  After I cleaned the chamber no problems.  It's the same issue the Wolf ammo use to have.  The red sealant should never have been put on the silver bear but some leasons have to be learned twice.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 6:02:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I shot 500 round with one FTE (extractor tore the rim off of the case head). It was definitely NOT due to sealant, as the gun was squeaky clean on the 22nd round of the day. Unfortunately, I forgot a cleaning rod. Any which way - it tapped out easily and all the other rounds were fine.

It's got a surprising kick. There's no difference in felt recoil between it and Q3131A. Olympic is noticeably weaker. RussB seems to confirm that Silver Bear is loaded up to pretty good velocities - look up his numbers in my initial post.

I've got a case of Wolf I'll try next. If that works fine, I'll probably buy two flavors of ammo:
1) Wolf or whatever runs about $100/1000 for plinking
2) M193 for all other purposes. Got ~2K stashed away currently, but there's always room for more.

Silver Bear, if the price is right, is still an attractive buy if it feeds well in your gun. I'll also refer you to my post about www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=166254&w=searchPop]Silver Bear fragmentation].

[Edit to clarify the type of FTE]
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 8:53:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Fired about 50 rounds of this through a 20" BM at a local plate shoot with good results; shot to the apparent POA as wolf 62 gr but definately moved the plates with more gusto. By comparison, the large plates shot with Winchester white box through my 16" RR ET tipped over ever so slowly; through a 20" barrel the SB put them down in a hurry.
Just wished they'd get rid of the red stuff.
YMMV.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 9:46:10 AM EDT
[#10]
I fired 300 rounds of the 62gr HP the other day in my Frankford Arsenal M-16. Most all was in full auto with only a few failures to feed that was due to a faulty magazine, not the ammo. Took that magazine out of service and no more problems. I would rather run this through my M-16 than Wolf. I haven't tried it in my 3 AR-15's yet.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 9:31:22 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a few questions about this ammo.

1)Does it have a laquer coating since it's a "plated" casing already?

2)How much does this stuff run per 1000 rounds on average?

3)Are they now making it without the red sealant?

4)If I can't find any that does not have the red sealant, how can I remove it?

5)I have noticed that it is made in three different plants. Is one plant's ammo any better than the others or is the ammo made pretty much to the same specs?
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:15:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have a few questions about this ammo.

1)Does it have a laquer coating since it's a "plated" casing already?
View Quote

It's not lacquered - it's zinc plated only.

2)How much does this stuff run per 1000 rounds on average?
View Quote

$59.95/500 from Ammunitionstore.com and AIM.

3)Are they now making it without the red sealant?
View Quote

Not yet as far as I know.

View Quote

Send an IM to DaPhotoguy. I think he's mentioned of having a way of doing that. It was either him or Colin. Do a search on past posts.

5)I have noticed that it is made in three different plants. Is one plant's ammo any better than the others or is the ammo made pretty much to the same specs?
View Quote

Hmmm. Beats me. It would make sense that it's made at one plant only. Why tool up three different factories to run a proprietary zinc plating process ? I'd be more apt to believe that about the standard lacquer [s]plated[/s] coated stuff.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 8:17:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I bought 2000 rounds before I knew the red sealant would cause me problems.  I won't buy any more until they get rid of the red sealant around the bullet/neck.

To get rid of the sealant on the rounds I already owned, I took a 1x4 and drilled 40 holes in it the exact diameter of the .223 cartridge into which I put 40 rounds of ammo.  Then I have a small flat bottom container which I fill with just enough finger nail polish remover (acetone) so that when I dip the ammo in only the bullet and part of the neck are submerged.  Wait 15 sec and start pulling out the rounds one by one wiping the neck with a shop rag.  The red sealant comes right off.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 12:56:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Doesn't some of that seep in/remain in the casing and can damage the powder?

Also, what exactly is it about the sealant that causes problems?
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 10:02:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Doesn't some of that seep in/remain in the casing and can damage the powder?

Also, what exactly is it about the sealant that causes problems?
View Quote

The acetone evaporates pretty quick.  I have not experienced any problems doing it this way.  The entire round isn't submerged.  The problem with the sealant is with each shot some of it is left in your chamber.  When it builds up thick enough it can cause a round to stick in your chamber.  Mine does it after about 30 rounds.  Other people have had no problems with the sealant.  If you're interested in this ammo I would suggest buying a couple hundred rounds and try it out.  If it works fine with the sealant then you're set.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 4:22:15 AM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

Hmmm. Beats me. It would make sense that it's made at one plant only. Why tool up three different factories to run a proprietary zinc plating process ? I'd be more apt to believe that about the standard lacquer [s]plated[/s] coated stuff.
View Quote

This is true, it is the Russian way of doing business. There is a difference between the manufacturers. Same with Brown Bear ammo.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 11:26:44 AM EDT
[#17]
62 gr HP
20" Bushmaster

Ammo is very nice, no FTanything, quite accurate. Cleans up nice.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 9:00:04 AM EDT
[#18]
I have fired over 2500 rounds of the 62grhps.I have 2 colts. A 20" pre ban HBAR and a 16"LTW and have had no problems.I use a number of different mags, all the 30 have the black followers.I sand bagged both and a 100yards Group are from the size of a 1" to 3". I never had any problems with Wolf, but I have only used around 500 rds. The groups are larger out of my guns with the Wolf. I will keep using the Silver Bear for blasting steel plates.[:D]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 9:00:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Its the only factory ammo that cycles my 9mm supressor. I reload so thankfully hot 147 grain reloads work. If you get a supressor get it in 45. The 223 is also nice. I wish you could reload it but its as cheap as wolf and it works. Use wolf in your AK it should work and its cheaper.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:06:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Here's the links to the two little fragmentation experiments I did with Silver Bear some time ago:

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=164537[/url]
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=166254[/url]
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 8:50:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Dear AR15.com members:

I have been refraining for a while about commenting one way or another about this Russian ammo with the thought that some may feel that I am trying to bend their views of Russian ammunition and skew opinions to one side or the other. That I will not do.

However, for the last three years I have been working with a company to help import Silver Bear and Brown Bear ammunition from the various Russian plants that we have been working with. We do pay attention to what is said on the boards and we do take the ‘constructive criticism’ and try to genuinely improve on the quality and workmanship of the Silver Bear and Brown Bear ammunition.

I really appreciate the poll taken Zhukov. What I think that it shows is that the ammunition is not bad but definitely could be improved upon. I communicate daily with the plants in Russia that produce the .223 Silver Bear and .223 Brown Bear ammunition and pass these as well as with the importer to help improve the quality of the product.

I was in Russia about 12 days ago and we discussed in detail most of the issues that you all have discussed her. I have copied your posts into a document and again will forward it again as further proof of the importance of addressing these issues.

I can tell you that the main issue for them, the Russian manufacturers, is test weapons. There are two factories manufacturing Silver Bear and Brown Bear ammunition... one of the factories used an HK SL8 while the other factory has ancient M-16 with curious three prong flash hiders... I can only guess where they came from. Also, allot of the testing is done with the assistance of Viyatskie Polyarni “Molot” plant that makes the ‘Vepr’ rifles.

If any of you have questions about this ammunition or any other Russian ammunition... I will be happy to try to address it. However, I will say this here that I will not get into any mudslinging with or about Wolf ammunition. I hope to be able to engage in ‘constructive’ conversations with all regarding Russian ammunition.

Sincerely,

Yasenovo
Link Posted: 1/6/2004 6:55:36 PM EDT
[#22]
 yasenovo,

I think everyone here would appreciate your participation, developing a better product at a reasonable price benefits everyone.

I do have a couple of questions.  Is the jacket on the 55 grn fmj, in the 580 rd metal cans, a bi-metal or a copper jacket?
 Also, has the manufacturer considered different packaging?  I know they probably have mountains of the cans available so they use them.  The South African ammunition that was available was not only popular because of the price but the packaging, a 300 rd PVC package with a handle made it very convenient to carry and store.  There might be a chance that a 200-300 rd PVC pack similar to what South African and now Santa Barbara use would prove to be very popular at the normal retail and gun show prices that Silver Bear is selling at.

mm
Link Posted: 1/7/2004 9:03:51 AM EDT
[#23]
It’s Bi-Metal...not copper. Not yet anyway. We’re working to get them to switch to copper... at least in the .223 and .308. Other calibers will come later. The commodity market is interesting to say the least. While the worldwide cost of copper may be $1.06 per lb, in Russia there is a captured market and it can be...and often is higher. So, the factories stick to using what they have at their disposal...bi-metal alloys.

About packaging: Russians do things by habit. We have spoken to them about the heavy bags that the South Africans, Spanish and Portuguese have used and are currently using. However, they, only a few short years ago started to commercially package their ammunition. It took a while of explaining to get them to package the cases in boxes that would be acceptable for UPS shipping here in the US. Also, it took a while to get bar codes put on the cases and the individual boxes. The Russian military is only interested in packaging in the metal cans and have no interest whatsoever to package in the heavy bags at this time nor any time in the future.  Putting the ammo in heavy bags would be a cool idea...but as far as shipping the ammo, we also felt that it would add an extra expense to the seller...one they would be reluctant to incur at the current price point of the product.

So, for the foreseeable future the packaging will not change dramatically...

Thank you for your questions.

YBH

Link Posted: 6/21/2004 2:30:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Myself and a circle of friends compete monthly in action rifle shoot and almost all of us use the 62gr HP Silver Bear.  Between us I would guess we have consumed about 10K rounds and in fact I am expecting a group buy to be delievered tomorrow with 12K more.  In other words, it is good stuff for shooting fast.  I wouldn't call it ideal for tack driving.  I have found that spraying the chamber with Break Free before the match keeps everything running smoothly and prevents any rounds that have a little nickle coating from getting hung up in the chamber.  The targets we shoot for the matches are IPSC cardboard and steel plates varying in size from 8" pie plates to 18" squares at ranges from point blank to 200 meters.  Bottom line, it is good stuff if used for what bulk, right priced, ammo is intended.

Shoot Fast,

J
Link Posted: 6/22/2004 3:15:56 AM EDT
[#25]
500 rounds of 62SP through a Bushmaster carbine. Two cases stuck in chamber.
Link Posted: 6/22/2004 7:36:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Silver Bear 55gn FMJ

Rifle 1:  Armalite M15A4 20"

Rifle 2:  RR lower with entry length ACE stock and a Model 1  16" upper (non-chrome).

560 rounds with no failures of any kind.

No groups on paper, but was able to keep all rounds on a 16" steel plate out to 400 yards with both rifles.

Great plinking ammo!
Link Posted: 7/12/2004 7:18:14 PM EDT
[#27]
My RRA shorty has chewed through about 120 rounds without a hiccup at all. My buddies model1sales kit had a few issues with about 100 rounds. Not sure if it was his gun or the ammo. His gun has also had problems with other ammo that mine had none with.
Link Posted: 7/13/2004 9:15:27 AM EDT
[#28]
500 Rounds of 62gr HP through a Bushmaster AR15 m4gery.  5 cases stuck in chamber.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:46:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Just got an AIM catalog in the mail today, and noticed an ad for 62 gr Silver Bear, $60/500 and $110 /1,000.

The ad text says:

"Features a Super Neat ZINC Plated Case!  Don't void your firearms warranty shooting gooey, lacquer coated ammunition!"

The accompanying picture seems  to show a red lacquer sealant where the case and bullet meet.  Has this ammo been improved, and the lacquer removed, as the text would seem to indicate?

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:30:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Chances are it still has the sealant. I'm almost tempted to buy some, but I've got a lot of Wolf on hand right now....
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:42:18 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Dear AR15.com members:...
...I hope to be able to engage in ‘constructive’ conversations with all regarding Russian ammunition.

Sincerely,

Yasenovo

Dear Yasenovo,

A pleasure to read your posts.  I admire efforts to improve products via customer comments and communications with the manufacturers.
 I think the Russian ammunition companies have remained in business and improved their market share because they've responded to customers and market forces.

On AR15.com, many facts, trivia, anecdotes and member opinions are available for the benefit of all.  It was interesting for me to learn about the lack of test rifles.

I hope that all manufacturers of firearms and ammunition will benefit from consumer testing and feedback.  Improvements will benefit consumers in the long run too.

Speaking of improvements... I'd like AR15.com to place all the "ammunition review" threads into a thumbtacked status.  The thumbtacked thread about daily sources and prices for various .223/5.56mm ammunition has been wonderful.

Keep up the good work.
~Craig
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:03:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Have shot off 500 rnds in both BM and Colt carbines.  Didn't have any problems with the red sealant and I even made sure to get the chamber hot and then let it cool with a round in the chamber.  Still, for plinking ammo, it would be nice to get rid of the sealant around the case neck, just to be on the safe side.

The only problem I did have was with the tip of the hollow points hanging up on the receiver, right below the feed ramps on the BM.  Didn't have this problem with the Colt since it has extended feed ramps, however, I did notice copper marks on the extended ramps.  My range mags have been used quite a bit, so this problem may just be due to weak mag springs.

As for other issues, I don't have a problem with it being packaged in cans, actually think it is a pretty good thing for long term storage.  The way the rounds are packaged in the boxes is sort of annoying since you have to rip through the inside paper packing and creates wasted space in the box.  This makes the box bigger than it needs to be, requiring a larger storage container to hold the same number of rounds of ammo.  It would be better if the rounds were packed in the box like Q3131A, Spanish SB, or even South African.  That all said, it's really not that big of an issue and wouldn't keep me from buying this ammo.

The bi-metal jacket doesn't bother me since both my rifles have a chrome lined bores, and I would not pay more for full copper jacketed bullets.

Really, the only things I would change, is to get rid of the sealant around the case necks, load the ammo hot (as hot as mil-spec), and crimp the primers.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:54:44 AM EDT
[#33]
I was about 300 rounds into a case of SB when the corner of one of the cartridges sheared off and resulted in a live round jammed up behind the unextracted cartridge in a HOT gun.  Bummer.  I'll shoot the rest of it and report back.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:59:51 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I was about 300 rounds into a case of SB when the corner of one of the cartridges sheared off and resulted in a live round jammed up behind the unextracted cartridge in a HOT gun.  Bummer.  I'll shoot the rest of it and report back.

A corner?  Pics please.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:00:26 AM EDT
[#35]
As requested, some pictures of the sheared off corner.

http://www.darksquid.com/sbcart1.jpg

another:

http://www.darksquid.com/sbcart2.jpg

ds
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:55:41 AM EDT
[#36]
bump
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 4:26:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Yea, you're getting extraction problems probably caused by the red sealant around the neck.  To verify.  Use a chamber brush and acetone to clean out your chamber.  Finish up cleaning as normal.  Try to fire some more silver bear.  More than likely, the first 30 or so rounds will be fine but as the sealant flakes off in the neck area of the chamber the rounds will start sticking and your problem will come back.  My solution was to clean off all the sealant from the rounds (hey, I had the rounds already).
Link Posted: 11/8/2004 4:09:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Yeah, you were right PhotoGuy.  I gave her a good cleaning, shot about 200 rounds of PMC without issue, then tried a mag of SB.  Got thru about 20 rounds and had an identical problem -- when I took a look at the cartridge, the rim was torn off just like the other one I posted earlier.

Gave the remaning 4 boxes to the range guy; this was the last SB I'll be buying.

ds

Link Posted: 11/8/2004 5:28:36 PM EDT
[#39]
I have found some silver bear at a gun show.I shot 500 rounds no problems.The price aint bad either good ammo... Also I feed my guns the high  dollar stuff winchester white box...And a few other high dollar ammo companies.. I have ran about 90% of all ammo companies thru my guns..Plural 2 pre bans 1 post ban and 2 no bans.. I haven't had any problems...Its ok for me...
Link Posted: 11/26/2004 9:07:36 AM EDT
[#40]
As requested by Zhukov:

Bear Line of Ammunition from Russia

Barnaul Manufactured Bear Ammunition

.223 Hollow Point SILVER BEAR
. 223 Soft Point SILVER BEAR
. 30-06 Soft Point SILVER BEAR
.3006 FMJ SILVER BEAR
7.62x39 FMJ SILVER BEAR
76.2x39 Hollow Point SILVER BEAR
7.62x39 Soft Point SILVER BEAR
7.62x54 Soft Point SILVER BEAR
7.62x54 FMJ SILVER BEAR
.308 Soft Point SILVER BEAR
.308 FMJ SILVER BEAR
5.45x39 FMJ SILVER BEAR

.223 Hollow Point BROWN BEAR
.223 Soft Point BROWN BEAR
7.62x39 Hollow Point BROWN BEAR
7.62x39 FMJ BROWN BEAR
7.62x39 Soft Point BROWN BEAR
7.62x54 FMJ BROWN BEAR
7.62x54Soft Point BROWN BEAR

.410 Shot SILVER BEAR

.223 Hollow Point GOLDEN BEAR
.223 Soft Point GOLDEN BEAR
7.62x39 FMJ GOLDEN BEAR
7.62x39 Hollow Point GOLDEN BEAR
7.62x39 Soft Point GOLDEN BEAR

Ulyanovsk Manufactured Bear Ammunition

.223 Hollow Point SILVER BEAR
.223 Mil-Spec SILVER BEAR
7.62 “Effect” (nipple) SILVER BEAR
.40 S&W SILVER BEAR
. 40 S&W 180 gr. FMJ SILVER BEAR
. 40 S&W 180 gr HP SILVER BEAR
. 45 Hollow Point SILVER BEAR
. 45 FMJ SILVER BEAR
. 45 Mil-Spec SILVER BEAR

7.6239 Mil-Spec BROWN BEAR

Novosibirsk Manufactured Bear Ammunition

9x19 FMJ SILVER BEAR
9x19 Hollow Point SILVER BEAR
9x19 115 gr. HP SILVER BEAR
9x17 FMJ SILVER BEAR
9x17 Hollow Point SILVER BEAR
9x18 FMJ SILVER BEAR
9x18 Hollow Point SILVER BEAR

9x19 FMJ BROWN BEAR
9x19 Hollow Point BROWN BEAR
9x19 115 gr. HP BROWN BEAR
9x17 FMJ BROWN BEAR
9x17 Hollow Point BROWN BEAR
9x18 FMJ BROWN BEAR
9x18 Hollow Point BROWN BEAR
Link Posted: 1/28/2005 7:28:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Since the original post is now archived, I figured I'd add the pictures from last year directly to this thread for the benefit of those who haven't seen them. The first pic is a bisected 62gr HP:

LARGE picture

The next picture is a comparison of the 62gr HP with a M193 bullet (LC '82):

LARGE picture

I performed fragmentation experiments on two occasions. The first time was with some milk jugs lined up. The round fragmented, but there were some questions as to the validity of using milk jugs. The second time around I used a plastic trashcan filled full of water and shot straight down into the water. The round fragmented again, as did the trashcan. And yes, my wife was mad.

Here are the pictures from that experiment:

LARGE picture

As you can see, the casing clearly fragmented, as the tip is still intact.

This one is from my second shot:

LARGE picture
Link Posted: 2/13/2005 4:24:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Today at the Range I shot 580 Rounds of silver Bear ammo

Light Rain 36f
16 inch barrel 1/7 twist (new Barrel)
Ammo: .223 Rem 55gr FMJ Silver Bear

I had 1 FTF and one stuck Case out of 580 rounds had to use a cleaning rod to remove case with force. My personal opinion is I think they should get rid of the steel case & zinc coating and go with a brass case.
I think the combination of rain & Zinc coating caused my FTF and the stuck case. If you feel the cases they are not really that smooth because of the zinc coating
Link Posted: 2/22/2005 12:16:18 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Since the original post is now archived, I figured I'd add the pictures from last year directly to this thread for the benefit of those who haven't seen them. The first pic is a bisected 62gr HP:

www.gunsnet.net/album/data//500/22519Silver_Bear_62grHP-med.jpg
LARGE picture

The next picture is a comparison of the 62gr HP with a M193 bullet (LC '82):

www.gunsnet.net/album/data//500/22519M193_SB62HP_side-med.jpg
LARGE picture

I performed fragmentation experiments on two occasions. The first time was with some milk jugs lined up. The round fragmented, but there were some questions as to the validity of using milk jugs. The second time around I used a plastic trashcan filled full of water and shot straight down into the water. The round fragmented again, as did the trashcan. And yes, my wife was mad.

Here are the pictures from that experiment:

www.gunsnet.net/album/data//500/22519Silver_Bear_fragments-med.jpg
LARGE picture

As you can see, the casing clearly fragmented, as the tip is still intact.

This one is from my second shot:

www.gunsnet.net/album/data//500/22519Silver_Bear_fragments2-med.jpg
LARGE picture

I shot a win. q3131a lengthwise into a icechest  filled with water and it didnt fragment near that much.  It only got flat lengthwise and lost some lead out of  the back of the bullet.   I think I may have to try some Silver Bear.  Should be good for blasting stuff.
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 8:49:11 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm assuming the red coating on the barrel is still in place with new production?

Shame, after reading this thread, it seems about 90% of the problems would be solved by getting rid of it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 3:51:54 AM EDT
[#45]
I'm not well-versed in this products construction. Is the jacket material copper, or copper guilding over a steel jacket?

Thanks,
Hotgun
Link Posted: 3/6/2005 1:07:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Are the 62gr. soft-point and hollow-point rounds safe to use on metal tagets? I don't expect it to punch through, I'm more concerned about ricochets. Anyone with experience?
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 12:41:17 PM EDT
[#47]
200 rounds through a RRA midlength.  no issues, good blasting ammo.
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 12:44:47 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I shot a win. q3131a lengthwise into a icechest  filled with water and it didnt fragment near that much.  It only got flat lengthwise and lost some lead out of  the back of the bullet.   I think I may have to try some Silver Bear.  Should be good for blasting stuff.

I don't know if it's a valid comparison though. Shooting through the wall of the ice chest probably changed the results.
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 12:45:34 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I'm assuming the red coating on the barrel is still in place with new production?

Shame, after reading this thread, it seems about 90% of the problems would be solved by getting rid of it.

A little birdy told me that come April, the red sealant is a goner. Stay tuned...
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 12:50:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Just finished off a can totaling 580rds of Silver Bear in a stock BM 14.5" M4A3

Zero malfs of any kind.... other than the smell of ammonia in the air...  

Granted, this is a sample size of 1 (well 1x580)

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top