BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/17/2017 7:55:31 AM EDT
(original thread)

Finally had some time to work on it, should be getting close to a test fire, maybe in the next couple weeks.

Magpul PTS shell/frame
G17 slide
Lone Wolf 9" barrel, shortened
Polymer80 front locking block, lugs welded up and re-profiled
Standard Glock trigger/sear assembly in a steel rear insert
Trigger bar welded up and re-profiled for the folding trigger

Working on a stronger carry handle from a chunk of leftover delrin, already slotted it to slide on the rail.  It will still come off easily but will have have better sights than the little nubs on the original and will have an integral light instead of using a separate rail-mounted one.  It's way too tall right now, the finished product will be much shorter.

Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:20:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Bad ass. Seriously.

Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:21:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bad ass. Seriously.

View Quote
Agreed
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:04:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow!!!
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:31:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I was tired and didn't want to mess up anything important so i tinkered with the carry handle last night.  Still needs the light (shipped), a switch setup and a rail latch.  I'll probably lighten it up a bit more as well.

Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:06:19 AM EDT
[#5]
More awesome work from you. Can't wait to see if finished and test fired.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:12:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
More awesome work from you. Can't wait to see if finished and test fired.
View Quote
Freudian slip or are you referring to my other un-finished project(s)?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:13:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Well that's fuckin' awesome.

Seriously.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:41:18 AM EDT
[#8]
That is awesome!

Are you doing the work on a mill? If so, what kind?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:50:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Good to see someone in America working on one of these.  I've heard of several conversions having been done in the Philippines using airsoft chassis.

There used to be some other videos a couple of years ago but I couldn't find them and I've seen at least two articles on them that I can recall but can't find them at the moment either.  I don't think the airsoft replicas are made anymore; I saw one on the shelf at a local airsoft place a couple of months ago but I didn't ask the price.  

It's not altogether uncommon to convert airsoft guns into real guns here (Philippines).  Some of the airsoft guns sold here are much closer to the real items than what is sold in the US and so they're easier to convert; getting the slides, barrels, etc is supposedly the hard part, especially now that the government has clamped down on balikbayan boxes.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:17:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That is awesome!

View Quote
Supermax vertical (Bridgeport clone).
All manual, I don't even have DRO
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:19:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Good to see someone in America working on one of these.  I've heard of several conversions having been done in the Philippines using airsoft chassis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCNBymqdhEY

There used to be some other videos a couple of years ago but I couldn't find them and I've seen at least two articles on them that I can recall but can't find them at the moment either.  I don't think the airsoft replicas are made anymore; I saw one on the shelf at a local airsoft place a couple of months ago but I didn't ask the price.  

It's not altogether uncommon to convert airsoft guns into real guns here (Philippines).  Some of the airsoft guns sold here are much closer to the real items than what is sold in the US and so they're easier to convert; getting the slides, barrels, etc is supposedly the hard part, especially now that the government has clamped down on balikbayan boxes.
View Quote
Yeah, I've seen that guy's build, I think he kept airsoft rails and such, I think I can get mine to run a little better
I've also seen some .22 builds with Glock .22 conversion slides that worked much better.

ETA: Here's the only video I've ever found of the original prototype firing:
Magpul FMG9 (Folding Machine Gun) featured on Discovery Channel's Ultimate Weapons
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:07:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That is awesome!

[Darth Vader voice] Impressive. [Darth Vader voice]

Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:08:40 AM EDT
[#13]
That is the coolest thing ever!

Congrats on being awesome OP
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 5:27:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 9:01:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Wow.  Perfect application for that SeeAll sight.  Very slick.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:19:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yeah, I've seen that guy's build, I think he kept airsoft rails and such, I think I can get mine to run a little better
I've also seen some .22 builds with Glock .22 conversion slides that worked much better.

ETA: Here's the only video I've ever found of the original prototype firing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY2EqFzPzn8
View Quote
Yeah the Glock slides will actually fit on some of the overseas frames with minimal work and the fire control groups can be made to work as well.  They can get pretty creative here and there are a lot of home made/backyard building types; some pretty nice, most just functional.  I fully expect to see more polymer 80% types frames hit the US market if they don't get shut down like the solvent trap companies.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:24:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yeah the Glock slides will actually fit on some of the overseas frames with minimal work and the fire control groups can be made to work as well.  They can get pretty creative here and there are a lot of home made/backyard building types; some pretty nice, most just functional.  I fully expect to see more polymer 80% types frames hit the US market if they don't get shut down like the solvent trap companies.
View Quote
Yeah, there have been shipments of airsoft stuff siezed by the ATF because they claimed they were too easy to convert to a firing weapon.  Glocks that you could nearly drop in actual slides and trigger groups, AR's with nearly accurate lowers, including the third pin hole, etc.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1032834_Remember_those_Airsoft_guns_seized_by_the_ATF_in_WA___UPDATE_.html
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 6:01:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Very nice OP! 

When do you start taking orders?
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:48:30 PM EDT
[#19]
It's alive!  Finished up the last couple parts tonight and test fired it single loading without the top cover on.  115gr wants to barely tip off the extractor and not lock back, tried some 147s and got it to lock back reliably, so i ran a few through it.  I'd rather get it to run in cheap 115, any suggestions? Lighter spring? Lighter slide?  I'm using a strike industries new style buffer since the slide would be steel on steel otherwise, but i don't think that's contributing much to the issue.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:19:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Are the rails tight?

Lighter slide may help. LoneWolf has 90%ers that are raw for you to finish!

Is the barrel tighter than factory?
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 1:15:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Rails are free, barrel is about like factory.  No obvious snags when racking.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 8:58:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Maybe put the slide on diet, start with a cut similar to the g34 or the compensated models. Might just need more rounds to " break in".
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 9:03:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Maybe put the slide on diet, start with a cut similar to the g34 or the compensated models. Might just need more rounds to " break in".
View Quote
Before I start into slide milling, should I try some lighter springs?
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 9:49:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Are you running the factory spring now?  An OEM Glock ought to run any loads so I'd think you've got some sort of drag somewhere before the spring weight.  Obviously I've only seen an airsoft version but I don't recall the slide contacting anything but the rails in the lower so that'd be where I started looking.  Maybe put a little Flitz on the contact surfaces and manual cycle it a few times then clean it up, relube and try to shoot it again.  Maybe one of your guides is slightly out of alignment?  Just tossing out ideas here.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 10:14:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Are you running the factory spring now?  An OEM Glock ought to run any loads so I'd think you've got some sort of drag somewhere before the spring weight.  Obviously I've only seen an airsoft version but I don't recall the slide contacting anything but the rails in the lower so that'd be where I started looking.  Maybe put a little Flitz on the contact surfaces and manual cycle it a few times then clean it up, relube and try to shoot it again.  Maybe one of your guides is slightly out of alignment?  Just tossing out ideas here.  
View Quote
They're pretty smooth now, and the slide moves freely.
It does have a couple extra inches of barrel hanging out in front of the slide, and a little bit more pre-load on the recoil spring due to the buffer.  I've also got a 4.5lb striker spring in it.
I ordered a 15lb spring to try out if I can't get it to cycle reliably otherwise.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 1:33:44 PM EDT
[#26]
I think I have to start blocking you.

I recall a while back during the shortage of ar's and stuff that there was an issue using longer barrels in the glock.
People were doing that conversion where you slide the frame into a "rifle" thing and using the ridiculusly long barrels they were selling to be legal rifles not needing a stamp.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_13/129326_Glock_w__lonewolf_barrel_recoil_problem.html

discussed more recently here.

Not sure what the fix is, but is different than I expected.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 11:27:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Opened up the recoil spring channel a bit in the frame for more clearance, lubed it up liberally and shot it some more yesterday, I managed to get lock back on Perfecta 115's about half the time, with a few stovepipes thrown in there as well.
I ran some old Hornady 124 XTP factory loads that I had, which are noticeably stouter, and it did just fine.  It's just expensive for plinking ammo.
My 15lb recoil spring should be here later this week so I can try to get it to run more reliably on the cheap 115's.

Most of this has been without the top cover on, I think my ejection will still be fine with the cover, it's ejecting pretty well to the right now.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 12:08:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Opened up the recoil spring channel a bit in the frame for more clearance, lubed it up liberally and shot it some more yesterday, I managed to get lock back on Perfecta 115's about half the time, with a few stovepipes thrown in there as well.
I ran some old Hornady 124 XTP factory loads that I had, which are noticeably stouter, and it did just fine.  It's just expensive for plinking ammo.
My 15lb recoil spring should be here later this week so I can try to get it to run more reliably on the cheap 115's.

Most of this has been without the top cover on, I think my ejection will still be fine with the cover, it's ejecting pretty well to the right now.
View Quote
As I understand it you are using a significantly longer barrel. That may be too heavy for a timely slide unlocking from the barrel block. Sort of like the issue with suppressor needing a booster device for that same reason. Could you try a shorter barrel with the weak or light ammo and see if the issue goes away?

PS: Why don't we crowdfund MAGPUL for the damn mold and have the actually make the thing???? GoFundMe?!?!?!?
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 1:14:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

As I understand it you are using a significantly longer barrel. That may be too heavy for a timely slide unlocking from the barrel block. Sort of like the issue with suppressor needing a booster device for that same reason. Could you try a shorter barrel with the weak or light ammo and see if the issue goes away?
PS: Why don't we crowdfund MAGPUL for the damn mold and have the actually make the thing???? GoFundMe?!?!?!?
View Quote
It's a couple inches longer than stock, but not as long as the original Lone Wolf extended barrel.
Lone Wolf recommends 124gr+ loads for their super long barrel.

vs

The issue with a shorter barrel is that your forward grip and other frame parts are in front of the muzzle at that point...
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 5:38:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

It's a couple inches longer than stock, but not as long as the original Lone Wolf extended barrel.
Lone Wolf recommends 124gr+ loads for their super long barrel.

http://i50.tinypic.com/29dxq1j.jpg

vs

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff206/devtucker/FPG/IMG_20170413_205804938.jpg

The issue with a shorter barrel is that your forward grip and other frame parts are in front of the muzzle at that point...
View Quote
Take a look at IGB Austria barrels.

Here is a picture of mine. The barrel is 16" long and they have some interesting profile work on it. The fat part seems like normal diameter. That is where the slide interfaces with the barrel when the slide is closed. Then as you move rearward it gets narrow. I think this makes clearance so the barrel doesnt drag on the slide.

I have a KWA FMG. Always wanted to Form 1 it. I will be following this.

Did you modify the mag well? I notice that mine is tight when I try inserting real glock mags.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 7:16:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Take a look at IGB Austria barrels.

Here is a picture of mine. The barrel is 16" long and they have some interesting profile work on it. The fat part seems like normal diameter. That is where the slide interfaces with the barrel when the slide is closed. Then as you move rearward it gets narrow. I think this makes clearance so the barrel doesnt drag on the slide.
https://i1.wp.com/www.gunsandtech.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/IGB-Austria.jpg?resize=1024%2C768

I have a KWA FMG. Always wanted to Form 1 it. I will be following this.

Did you modify the mag well? I notice that mine is tight when I try inserting real glock mags.
View Quote
Yes, I've seen those before.  You get a lot of drag if you're trying to tip up a 16" full-profile barrel.
I've seen other 16" barrels with a booster of sorts to get them to run.

Yes, I had to file down the ribs inside the mag well to get a Glock mag to fit.  They're still not drop-free, so I'll probably end up taking more off at some point.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 7:24:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 8:30:06 AM EDT
[#33]

Link Posted: 4/28/2017 4:10:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Does shouldering the stock make this an SBR?
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 4:15:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
No, the stamp that I had to wait several months for makes it an SBR
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 5:24:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does that fold into a brace?
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 5:57:20 PM EDT
[#37]
This is the coolest SBR I have seen.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 10:33:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Does that fold into a brace?
View Quote
No, it's an actual stock.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 11:00:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Pic dump!

I'll get an actual firing video up at some point soon

Link Posted: 4/29/2017 7:13:01 AM EDT
[#40]
fucking awesome
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 2:54:23 PM EDT
[#41]
So cool, keep up the good work op. Your builds are always super fun to follow.

If anybody has a line on one of these airsoft guns I'm desperately searching for one.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 7:41:20 AM EDT
[#42]
More pics.
Had a little time to work on the carry handle.  Added a generic little CR2 clicky with a button extending into the carry handle slot. It can be reached with the support hand thumb pretty easily without being bumped on all the time.  I have a McClickly switch or two that I might try to integrate at some point.
The light is held in by a button head screw that lets it rotate and slide out when not on the gun.
Also added a spring latch to keep the handle in place similar to the original but more low-profile.  Just slide it on until it clicks, it seems pretty solid.

I may add a small port from the light lens area up to the fiber optic block of the SeeAll.  The tritium vials i put in there give it a faint glow, but if you're using the light it can wash out, so I'll see if I can feed it a little light directly.

Link Posted: 5/3/2017 9:00:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
So cool, keep up the good work op. Your builds are always super fun to follow.

If anybody has a line on one of these airsoft guns I'm desperately searching for one.
View Quote
Pretty sure they've been out of production for a while now.  You used to be able to buy them out of HK and Taiwan but I haven't seen one for sale in a while; watch the Asian airsoft sites.  They pop up for sale on ebay and the airsoft forums every now and then but they are really expensive.  I saw one at one of the airsoft/mil surplus places here in the Philippines about a year ago but I haven't been back since.  If I get a chance I'll try to swing by there and see if they still have it but I seriously doubt it.  Shipping anything from here is ridiculously expensive for some reason and you can't pack them in your luggage, even checked bags.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 1:27:23 PM EDT
[#44]
you sir are a bonified bad ass!    so inquiring minds have to wonder. what other projects are due down the pipeline? I know you have the PDR tucked away....but what else?
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 1:38:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
you sir are a bonified bad ass!    so inquiring minds have to wonder. what other projects are due down the pipeline? I know you have the PDR tucked away....but what else?
View Quote
Always something floating around in my head, but I have a feeling one of the next big projects will probably wear diapers.  Not trying yet, but probably soon.

I've looked at making a folding "FMG" style bullpup in a rifle caliber, a Militec Crusher (video game semi-auto mag-fed AOW shotgun), and even a G11 / P90 style suppressed PCC that gives you full capacity in as small a package as possible without long stick mags dangling down.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 3:21:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Always something floating around in my head, but I have a feeling one of the next big projects will probably wear diapers.  Not trying yet, but probably soon.

I've looked at making a folding "FMG" style bullpup in a rifle caliber, a Militec Crusher (video game semi-auto mag-fed AOW shotgun), and even a G11 / P90 style suppressed PCC that gives you full capacity in as small a package as possible without long stick mags dangling down.
View Quote
Nice.  the p90 style weapon in a different cartridge is something I've also pondered (although I don't have the skill nor equipment as you) I have wanted to fool around with a p90 mag to see if there was enough material to run a shortened 30 carbine like the 7.92vbr was possible. I figured a 115gr gold dot for the .327 fed mag would be a good cannidate for subsonic loads and then you could run 60-71 gr bullets supersonic and should be able to meet/exceed tokarev pistol velocities which are known to defeat IIIa. I still need to finish my .223 short project though.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 3:33:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Nice.  the p90 style weapon in a different cartridge is something I've also pondered (although I don't have the skill nor equipment as you) I have wanted to fool around with a p90 mag to see if there was enough material to run a shortened 30 carbine like the 7.92vbr was possible. I figured a 115gr gold dot for the .327 fed mag would be a good cannidate for subsonic loads and then you could run 60-71 gr bullets supersonic and should be able to meet/exceed tokarev pistol velocities which are known to defeat IIIa. I still need to finish my .223 short project though.
View Quote
Yeah I was toying with making a horizontal stack (p90) .30 carbine mag, or even a system to feed from a horizontally loaded stick mag above or below the barrel, like the G11, where the cartridge is turned inside the gun instead of inside the mag.  Crazy German clockwork magic...

Then there's the prototype Monolith 12ga mag:

Also:

Link Posted: 5/3/2017 3:35:39 PM EDT
[#48]
I even thought about what it might take to get a Calico-style helical mag to feed from the rear instead of the front for a shorter package...

Like a less-retarded Bizon in bullpup configuration...

More like a VD-01:

or Chang Feng:
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 4:01:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Too bad you can't mass produce this without getting sued by Magpul.

What was their reason for never selling this and leaving us with lame ass shit like the Roni.

I'd say "make a Magpul PDR next, but it would just depress me more knowing it'll never be for sale.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 6:27:36 AM EDT
[#50]
Fine work RDTCU, fine work!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top