Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2015 8:27:17 AM EDT
Debating between the two - please help me decide!
Thanks in advance for your thoughts/comments.

Best,
Jim
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 8:33:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I've shot both side by side.
My take is-

CZ cycles much faster with less perceived
Muzzle rise. Mags suck. feedlips crack.

AR uses glock mags and is very modular.
Threading options are limited with the CZ.
BBL length is fixed with the CZ. Can't make it as short as an AR.

CZ needs US compliance parts kit.
CZ stocks are hard to find.

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:25:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I have both and will say if you plan to SBR my vote is scorpion. But if you want to personalize and have options for a smooth trigger, AR. The scorpion suck as a pistol and the trigger is pretty heavy. While I love using my glock mags in my AR, I also love the ability to fold the scorpion making it more compact and still usable in the folded configuration
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:31:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Scorpion.  It a PCC from the start and a much better platform.  Plus it'll fold into a much smaller package with a stock.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 10:51:41 AM EDT
[#4]
It's a toss up. I like my ar based 9mm and it works well suppressed.
wolf xp spring and spikes buffer make a big difference.

I built mine for around 750 from parts off a black creek precision lower with adco barrel and shockwave brace.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 10:27:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I plan on having both.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:04:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I vote scorpion
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 11:26:06 PM EDT
[#7]
scorpion
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 2:21:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Bump on Scorpion.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 8:18:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Does everyone who voted Scorpion actually own one?

Does your choice come from shooting one?

Why do you like it better than an AR setup?

I chose AR over the Scorpion because of the modularity, parts availability. I SBR'd mine and also run a can. It shoots like a nail gun!
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 9:07:14 AM EDT
[#10]
I have owned both (still have Scorpion). I am a die hard AR guy having built my first one in the early 80s. Despite this heavy bias, as a 9mm platform in an SBR configuration and suppressed, I would go Scorpion. IMHO opinion it shoulders and shoots much better than my old integrally suppressed 9mm AR. The action seems smoother and has less felt recoil.

As far as blowback in the face there is no comparison, the Scorpion wins easily. A poster above pointed out some downsides with the Scorpuon. Fortunately most if not all either are or will be in the past. Stocks are hard to get because of the pent up demand which has decidedly eased up. In addition to the factory CZ stock, there are now several aftermarket options.

The compliance issue (if its even real) will be a thing of the past in the next few months. In addition to the CZ compliance kits, there are now a hand full of companies making pistol grips, muzzle devices, stocks, followers and base plates and triggers etc. Speaking of triggers, there is a spring kit available that greatly improves the trigger. In addition, several companies are said to be making drop in triggers.

CZ custom makes a barrel in 1/2-28 and any competent gunsmith can rethread the stock barrel in 1/2-28 and leave enough 18x1mm threads for the barrel nut. CZ has also announced that the 2016 production units for the US will have 1/2-28 standard as well as the option of FDE.

As far as the US Market is concerned, the platform is young and many enterprising companies will jump in with aftermarket offerings. As stated above, the ergonomics are terrible as a pistol without a brace. If you buy plan to SBR. If you do SBR, by the time you're approved all of the downsides will be gone.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 9:12:00 AM EDT
[#11]
I do actually own the scorpion and love it. The advantages over the AR to ME were:

1. The better placed (IMO) charging handle

2. Actually cheaper than what I would have built in an AR
3. Folding stock (eventually)
4. Full ambi from the factory (I'm left eye dominant, also adds to the cheaper part)
5. And lastly I think it looks better/cooler than a 9mm AR and I've wanted one for a long time. It has pretty much satisfied my long time MP5 lust for a lot less $

Just waiting on my Octane to clear so I can give it a go suppressed!

Link Posted: 12/11/2015 1:53:37 AM EDT
[#12]
I have both. Each is very cool but the ar is much more expensive if you want a sweet well working setup. If money is an option I'd go scorpion. Ar is cool too but the scorpion is a great shooter, very accurate, cheap mags and bad ass.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 3:53:34 AM EDT
[#13]
One of both?  Good luck finding a scorpion though.  They are gone everywhere almost and no more imports till sometime next year.  Cross your fingers FBHO doesn't import ban em
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 7:35:38 AM EDT
[#14]
A pic worth a thousand words

Link Posted: 12/13/2015 8:13:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Nice!

Thanks for all the replies.
Im getting the scorpion....
I got the last one my local gun shop had.  Merry Xmas to me!  ;)
They're not sure when more are coming in so I feel lucky I got one when I did.
Best,
Jim
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 2:54:26 PM EDT
[#16]
the cz is one ugly dude. i was looking into getting one in the next few weeks. what i liked about the cz was no "buffer tube". when psa blew out all of the 9mm stuff that changed my mind. my plane is to keep the weapon under 26" so it can live in some sort of case that will look like a brief case (to most people). if it were not for the sale i would still be perusing the cz.

yall don't forget we also have that new "mac 10" type of thing sold by masterpiece arms (i think) that takes glock mags. i looked into it but it is close to the same price as the cz. it would also be neat with a folding shock wave brace.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 5:24:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
One of both?  Good luck finding a scorpion though.  They are gone everywhere almost and no more imports till sometime next year.  Cross your fingers FBHO doesn't import ban em
View Quote

There are deals with them weekly it seems on slickguns.com around 700$. Sure you have to cough up 20-30$ FFL fee but it aint hard to find them unless you only shop your LGS.  

OP, I'd get the Skorp. Having owned the original .32acp Skorpion I'm a huge fan. It'll probably be less finicky than a 9mm AR plus you have a different gun. Variety is really the spice of life. And it's not even expensive...since most 9mm ARs go for 900+ vs CZ at $700 stable.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 4:00:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have owned both (still have Scorpion). I am a die hard AR guy having built my first one in the early 80s. Despite this heavy bias, as a 9mm platform in an SBR configuration and suppressed, I would go Scorpion. IMHO opinion it shoulders and shoots much better than my old integrally suppressed 9mm AR. The action seems smoother and has less felt recoil.

As far as blowback in the face there is no comparison, the Scorpion wins easily. A poster above pointed out some downsides with the Scorpuon. Fortunately most if not all either are or will be in the past. Stocks are hard to get because of the pent up demand which has decidedly eased up. In addition to the factory CZ stock, there are now several aftermarket options.

The compliance issue (if its even real) will be a thing of the past in the next few months. In addition to the CZ compliance kits, there are now a hand full of companies making pistol grips, muzzle devices, stocks, followers and base plates and triggers etc. Speaking of triggers, there is a spring kit available that greatly improves the trigger. In addition, several companies are said to be making drop in triggers.

CZ custom makes a barrel in 1/2-28 and any competent gunsmith can rethread the stock barrel in 1/2-28 and leave enough 18x1mm threads for the barrel nut. CZ has also announced that the 2016 production units for the US will have 1/2-28 standard as well as the option of FDE.

As far as the US Market is concerned, the platform is young and many enterprising companies will jump in with aftermarket offerings. As stated above, the ergonomics are terrible as a pistol without a brace. If you buy plan to SBR. If you do SBR, by the time you're approved all of the downsides will be gone.
View Quote

Great info! Did you have a 7-8" barrel on your AR too? I thought surely the AR would have less recoil, as the scorpion is straight blowback, not roller locked. The pros to me of the AR are the better trigger and ability to take glock 33rd mags.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 1:18:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top