BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2015 12:24:12 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 12:26:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I have used very few "promag" anything that was good to go.  

YMMV
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 12:27:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I would not call them GTG in any way, shape or form.

Only good to practice malfunction drills.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 12:40:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Good to go in the trash.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 1:59:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Metalform, Brownells, Stoner, are what you seek.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 2:35:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Metalform, Brownells, Stoner, are what you seek.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 3:45:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I had one for a XD9. That ran perfect. Weird
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 5:04:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Good for a magazine vice block/practicing malfunctions/photos. Thats about it
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 5:07:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Good to go in the trash.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 5:46:47 PM EDT
[#9]
To echo what others have said, I've never used a ProMag product that I didn't absolutely hate. I was given four M&P mags and I threw three away, because one malfunction mag is enough.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 5:56:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Avoid promag unless you want an expendable vise block
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 6:53:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I have two dedicated 9mm AR's I probably have around 20  mags of several manufactures

I have several 9mm  AR Pro mags  that work great
The only pro mag failures or problems I've had was with steel ten round versions, which was the last round would either jamb or just fail to pick up
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 9:10:23 AM EDT
[#12]
More like NO GO.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 10:08:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
All in the title.
View Quote

It's the only Promag product I use.  They've been 100% in my 9mm AR.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 11:28:14 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a pro mag magblock that doesn't give me problems that won't even work with pro mag magazines.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 1:14:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

To echo what others have said, I've never used a ProMag product that I didn't absolutely hate. I was given four M&P mags and I threw three away, because one malfunction mag is enough.
View Quote
Bummer, I would have bought those Promag M&P magazines. I can't find them anywhere.

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 9:47:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All in the title.

+1

I have a DDLES dedicated lower built into a competition gun.  

Didn't like dropping $30 mags on the ground all the time.  Saw the Promags were only $12 from Brownells, what the heck give one a try.

Worked flawlessly, as well as the dozen I bought after that.  

Only one issue in 3 years and about 5K rounds.  I found that in the heat of competition if you really slam one in with the bolt locked back, it WILL go too far into the gun.  Almost couldn't get it out, but that was my fault, learned my lesson, never happened again.

Buy one and try it, 9mm builds can be finicky.  Worst case, you're out $14 (price went up since I bought mine).

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 11:45:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I run the promag block and ASC mags

ASC are great mags people will tell you they are horrible.  Seems the IWI Tavor 9mm guys love there factory mags.

Funny thing is that ASC is contracted to make IWI 9mm mags.  Only thing different is the engraving on the baseplate.

ASC is the way to go.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 3:37:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have a pro mag magblock that doesn't give me problems that won't even work with pro mag magazines.
View Quote

Same here.  My Promag mag-bock works flawlessly with every 9mm magazine EXCEPT the Promag ones! I bought 2 of the Promag stick mags when I bought the mag-block and I chucked them both in the woods the 1st day I tried them.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:44:29 AM EDT
[#19]
The Promags need a little tweaking IME.   The followers need some trimming so they will slide to the top easily.   Also the lips have a sort of feed ramp built into the side of them.   Mine had a sharp edge that will catch the case mouth.   A couple minutes with a sharp knife will fix that.   Probably a few magfulls will break in without any tweaking but mine run great now.   Well worth the money and has a lifetime warrant

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:21:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:25:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All in the title.

this as well. i have a few,and they run flawlessly in my colt. YMMV
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:25:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I run the promag block and ASC mags

ASC are great mags people will tell you they are horrible.  Seems the IWI Tavor 9mm guys love there factory mags.

Funny thing is that ASC is contracted to make IWI 9mm mags.  Only thing different is the engraving on the baseplate.

ASC is the way to go.
View Quote

I too have had good luck with ASC so I bought more.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:15:44 PM EDT
[#23]
After many years of shooting many different firearms I have learned a few things. Magazines are important. But the mag and the firearm have to work together. I had two carbines that  used S&W 59 mags. One would run perfect on ProMags made for a S&W 59, the other would constantly jam up on them.  Same for MegGars, a high quality OEM manufacturer. They would work perfect in my one firearm but be jam-o-matic in another made to accept the same magazine.  

You can not say Pro-Mags are all junk. I have two firearms that will run 100% perfect on the Pro-Mags while another firearm I have hates them.  But again, even with a very high quality mag like a MecGar will fail to work in some applications. Its a complex situation that has to do with the height of the mag when its locked in, the shape and angle of the feed lips, the tension of the spring in the mag, and sometimes the phase of the moon or the day or the week or some other mystical unknown.

I found on one of my carbines that used the S&W 59 mags that if I took the easy to find high capacity Pro-Mag and put in a real S&W factory follower that it would then work great. Simple solution that was cost effective. It was worth it to me as hi-cap mags weren't available for that firearm except from Pro-Mag. The S&W followers were cheap, I would just buy them by the bag from MidWayUSA and make my own mags.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:17:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Man, a few years back when the only options were Colt, cut Uzi mags or Pro-Mags I thought folks loved them - the one Pro-Mag product that worked and they were reasonably priced compared to the other two options.  I'm pretty sure I even had a couple and they worked very well in the RRA 9mm carbine I had at the time.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:38:28 AM EDT
[#25]
When I had my RRA 9mm AR I used 4 ProMags and they worked perfectly. The ProMag magazines for other types of guns I've used have sucked but the 9mm AR ones were fine.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:33:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
All in the title.

I have a couple, they work fine in my Colt lower
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top