Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2014 12:29:06 AM EDT
Got a bunch of stovepipes, was it because she held it loosely or some sort of maintenance issue with the conversion kit? We were at the range late and I didn't shoot before last cease fire was called for closing.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 12:40:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Could just need a good cleaning. How many rounds did you put through it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 6:30:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm guessing she was holding the mag or resting the mag floor plate on the table. The mags feed lips then act as the ejector causing stovepipes.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 8:04:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Good HV ammo or low powered bulk junk?
Mine can be picky on what it will cycle reliably.

As mentioned above, Is it clean? Mine can get erratic if really gummed up.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 8:52:27 AM EDT
[#4]
While cleaning check that the firing pin is retracting . As you push the rear where the hammer strikes it you should feel it move forward against the spring tension. As you do this the end of the pin should protrude from the boltface . As you release pressure on the rear the spring should
retract the pin below flush.

If this isn't working the firing pin channel is gummed up with dirt , the spring is fungo or the pin itself is broken . The firing pin is a bit weak in this design , spare pin and spring is good to have in your spare pile.

When cleaning don't forget to give the magazine a once over . Dirty blowback rimfire blows lots of crud right down on the top of the mag , a certain percentage goes into the mag . I tend to clean with silicone spray to flush out the crud in the magazine and leave behind some lube that
doesn't cause crud to stick like oil will .

Is your conversion newish or well broke in ? Some units in some guns run well from day one , some take a bit of running and tweaking to get to happy land.
Oil can help in the short run but it attracts the crud , I have used silicone or other dry lube with good results.

In the past this is the time I would advise you to use CCI Minimags but unless you have a neckbeard on retainer , good luck with that.

Some magazines in some guns are a bit tall and the feed lips drag on the bottom of the bolt , especially if the gun is rested on the mag . This will vary from gun to gun as the mag catch is different from gun to gun . If you feel or suspect bolt drag a couple of light passes with a medium file across the top of the mag might help but don't go crazy.

Holding a AR with conversion lightly in theory might contribute to cycle issues if you are right on the edge because of cleaning/ammo issues but
It isn't something I would normally worry about.
Light holds in a real light weight pistol can be a issue because there is little weight for the action to push against but even a real lightweight AR is 4 or 5 times heavier than most pistols . Can't see light holds to be a factor here . I have had some pretty small kids shooting my conversions off a bench where the gun was laying on a rest and they were pretty much just pulling the trigger without really holding the gun and everything worked just fine. I was of course supervising and had a couple of fingers on the gun but I wasn't really holding it

Link Posted: 9/12/2014 12:37:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Things I wander.

Is this the stainless or parked version?

Are you using any lube? I do not use any liquid lube in any of my rimfires. Just dry lube. Wet lube. Especially alot is asking for trouble in any rimfire. As NHsport has stated also.

As someone asked. Is it new or well broke in?

What ammo were you using? Both our CMMG dedicated uppers will run any .22 ammo we have ever tried, but yours could be different I suppose. Especially having a dropin conversion. But it even runs the dreaded Rems.

We have the stainless bolt also in both of our dedicated uppers. Started with a Parked dropin, it worked great after some break in. But then we quickly got a Stainless drop in and it was much better from the start. That eventually evolved into a dedicated upper with Stainless bolt group. I really like the stainless for a few reasons.

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top