Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/8/2013 4:42:16 PM EDT
During the ban years, I purchased an Olympic Arms PCR-9 carbine. After awhile, I got bored of it and it ended up sitting in the back of the safe. Now that I'm getting into suppressors, I thought a pistol caliber AR would be fun to play around with - so I dug it out of the safe.

Because this is an AWB rifle, the muzzle isn't threaded and I was looking around to see if there were any threaded barrels available. I was also looking around to see if I could get a spare ejector assembly. Looks like I'm striking out on both items. It appears that Olympic still has a web presence but I don't see much in the way of parts available from dealers. Are they still manufacturing the PCR-type rifles or did they go the way of the dodo?

Link Posted: 11/8/2013 4:51:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
During the ban years, I purchased an Olympic Arms PCR-9 carbine. After awhile, I got bored of it and it ended up sitting in the back of the safe. Now that I'm getting into suppressors, I thought a pistol caliber AR would be fun to play around with - so I dug it out of the safe.

Because this is an AWB rifle, the muzzle isn't threaded and I was looking around to see if there were any threaded barrels available. I was also looking around to see if I could get a spare ejector assembly. Looks like I'm striking out on both items. It appears that Olympic still has a web presence but I don't see much in the way of parts available from dealers. Are they still manufacturing the PCR-type rifles or did they go the way of the dodo?

View Quote

Considering how long you have been a member, I'm surprised you aren't aware of Olympic Arms having major issues. First of all they are banned from this web site. Second, a fairly large percentage of their AR's have issues.

Your best bet would be to contact Olympic Arms directly, a lot of their parts don't play nicely with other manufacturers.
Link Posted: 11/8/2013 5:01:26 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Considering how long you have been a member, I'm surprised you aren't aware of Olympic Arms having major issues. First of all they are banned from this web site. Second, a fairly large percentage of their AR's have issues.

Your best bet would be to contact Olympic Arms directly, a lot of their parts don't play nicely with other manufacturers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks PursuitSS - I was just looking for some quick answers and not trying to stir the pot in any way.

I'll give them a call to see what's going on with regards to the old PCR rifles.

Link Posted: 11/10/2013 4:20:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Other than waiting for 13 months for
what was supposed to be 6 month
wait on pistol upper during the first
Obama election scare, I have had
great customer service as well flawless
function from 16" & 7" 9mm's Oly's.

Why did they get banned from Arf.com?

John
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 4:38:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

John
View Quote

Several reasons as I understand.

This should give you an idea of the company, it is a Blog by Aimless (ARFCOM Site Staff) LINK
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 5:50:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a rifle I built with a PCR lower and it has no issues...notice I built it myself however.

The Plinker lowers are crap...any other assembled rifle by them in the last 20 years is highly suspect (some work, some don't).  They weren't too bad before the AWB, especially Ultramatch barrels.

I built my first AR with a $240 kit (minus lower) in 1984.  A Stopsign lower for $75 later (signed by my Strawmom) and BRD was here to stay. Just a coupe years later I had to swap my original M16 parts out and the Oly replacements were inferior (other than the disconnector which is M16 with the tail removed). They started going downhill as a company at that point and I was later told they had some sort of employee turnover about 1987 timeframe., followed by the first panic in 1993 that I mentioned led to a nosedive.   I bought an Oly barrel from Brownells a couple years back for a friend wanting to save money but sent it back due to rust inside.  Like most I'll not spend a dime with them but I'm happy with the four Oly builds that I still own.

Any PC carbine is just crying for someone like John Thomas to turn and thread it to 1/2x36 or 28, you don't need to replace the existing barrel, go to www.retroarmsworks.com or ADCO is another great company to go with. Just had John remove a permantly installed Bushmaster brake and replaced it with a KX3 and he even tried to salvage the old brake for reuse (perhaps in case I get sentimental? ) at no extra charge.  I have no experience with Oly's pistol caliber stuff but if yours works fine, stick it to Bill Clinton by getting it turned & threaded!

Link Posted: 11/10/2013 6:20:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't claim to be a expert on olys but was under the impression that most of the bad press was because they mostly built cheapo guns. The basic gun itself was ok but most factory guns were sent out to the discount wholesalers to be the cheapest AR available. Finish was not horrible but just was not great and many of the parts were picked because they were the cheapest available.

Total gun was not way cheaper than other guns but overall they were not cheap enough to impress but most any other mfg gun would look and handle nicer with better features.

With that said the Olympic cataloag was neato to look through with all sorts of cool features and interesting calibers . For the most part the only Oly guns you would see around were the no feature "plinker" model.

The Oly pistol caliber carbine is built on a different design from the RRA and Colt pistol caliber guns and although the Oly extractor looks like something
cobbed together in high school shop class out of paper clips mine has worked near perfect for many years with all types of ammo from the hottest factory stuff to some pretty weak handloads. The several other guys I know with Oly pistol cal rifles have also been very happy. The couple of guys I know with other brand pistol cal guns report them to not be so forgiveing as our olys when it comes to maintinence and ammo

Link Posted: 11/11/2013 7:02:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Just send it to Adco and have them spank some threads on your barrel.
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 6:18:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This should give you an idea of the company, it is a Blog by Aimless (ARFCOM Site Staff) LINK
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

John

I have the 2 Oly uppers on lowers
that I built, one of which is an Oly
lower. I have had one of them
for about 12 years and the other
for about 3 years. Both have been
100% reliable. I had some new
shooters on the carbine this past
Saturday and they all were asking
about it. I guess after reading the
Oly issues thread, I will have to
be a little more careful about
recommending their products.

Later!

John
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 8:48:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Why was Olympic Arms banned? And the Dbag CEO from Spikes was not?

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/18/2013 8:56:40 AM EDT
[#10]
My first AR was an Olympic. Bought it 3 days before the sunset of the '94 OWB. Silly me. It had a non collapsible stock that was designed to look like a collapsible, a 10 rd mag, non threaded barrel, no lug...Didn't care at the time and I only sold it about a year ago for what I paid for it. Considering I had removed the handguards with a pair of locking wrenches, shot off the flash hider and never replaced it, scratched the hell out of it, damaged the threads for the buffer tube. I would say I did alright.

Anyway, I never had any issues with it. I shot probably 300 rds through it a week when I first got it and knew only to scrub the barrel and wipe down the inside. I knew nothing about the gas tube or how to pull apart the BCG or any of that....So after probably 4000-5000 rounds of wolf it started to malfunction. I took it to a shop and they determined I wasn't cleaning the gas tube. I did my research and prob put 15k rounds through it without any other interruptions.

People rag on them but I had NO issues. The times I had questions or inquiries the CS was more than happy to help.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 9:49:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Why was Olympic Arms banned? And the Dbag CEO from Spikes was not?

View Quote

Tom is a WELL RESPECTED member of this community and his reputation for customer service is second to none!

You start calling members names on YOUR FIRST DAY?

Not a good way to "fit in"!

Link Posted: 11/18/2013 10:01:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 10:10:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the replies guys. I've asked for this thread be locked - it wasn't my intent for it to go in this direction.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 1:25:20 PM EDT
[#14]
OP Request
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top