Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/31/2010 6:43:13 AM EDT
After messing around with a 10/22 for the past few years, I am tired of it. I was just going to buy a spikes .22 upper, but I want something to better fit my needs. Yesterday I started by ordering a upper receiver. Next step will be choosing a barrel. While searching I found a discussion on another forum about adapting a 10/22 barrel to work with a dedicated .22 upper. I couldn't find any other info online though. My guess is that an adapter would be machined to fit over the barrel.

Does anyone have any ideas or experience with this? I have a green mountain 10/22 barrel just sitting around looking for a home.

Thanks,
Eric
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 7:03:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm having a custom 22 upper being built right now. Mine will be a .930 OD full bull that is 17" in length. Anyway, In short, you will need to make a sleeve that can be pinned, threaded or locked some way to the 10/22 barrel the same dimension as an AR15 barrel extension and profiling of your GM barrel to match a dedicated bolt assembly. Go to Spikes site and look at the barrels they offer. It will give you an idea how much modification needs done around the chamber area to a straight .920 10/22 barrel. Are you doing the barrel yourself?

Brad
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 7:12:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm having a custom 22 upper being built right now. Mine will be a .930 OD full bull that is 17" in length. Anyway, In short, you will need to make a sleeve that can be pinned, threaded or locked some way to the 10/22 barrel the same dimension as an AR15 barrel extension and profiling of your GM barrel to match a dedicated bolt assembly. Go to Spikes site and look at the barrels they offer. It will give you an idea how much modification needs done around the chamber area to a straight .920 10/22 barrel. Are you doing the barrel yourself?

Brad

I was hoping to find somewhere to send the barrel to have it done. I have some experience with a lathe, but currently no access to one.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 8:13:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Cameron Dearborn, from Missouri, is doing my upper. He goes by Nemohunter on the Rimfire Central forum. He does excellent work! If you are interested I can get you his contact information.

Brad
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 8:42:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Cameron Dearborn, from Missouri, is doing my upper. He goes by Nemohunter on the Rimfire Central forum. He does excellent work! If you are interested I can get you his contact information.

Brad

Oh I hadn't thought about him. I am a member there as well. Do you have any idea of turnaround time and cost? I'll try sending him a message.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 9:39:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Not sure on turnaround or cost. It'll depend on what you are wanting to do.

Brad
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 12:46:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Well he said he won't thread the muzzle so I guess I will see how much it will cost just to adapt the barrel. I don't have a suppressor yet, so I guess that could wait.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 1:43:49 PM EDT
[#7]
What upper and bolt are you using?

Brad
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 3:13:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I ordered a noveske upper, and I was planning on a spikes bolt.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 5:40:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Well it looks like I am going with Nemo. He seems pretty reasonable with the price, and he offered to assemble the upper and tune it as well. Now I just need to order a bolt and handguard.
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 6:41:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Are you going to have him rechamber your GM barrel?

I had all of my parts sent to Cam as well. He is taking care of the rest. It'll  be running perfect when it arrives.

Brad
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 7:04:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah. It didn't cycle right when it was on my 10/22 so I asked him if he could work with it. It probably just needs polished, but I said just work your magic. Let me know when you get it back, I would like to hear how everything works out.

Any suggestions for a free float tube? I am thinking either mid length or rifle length with no sights for now(maybe flip ups in the future). Probably just a non-railed tube for now, but I want something fairly light. This gun will hopefully be my main squirrel gun next season.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 3:16:25 AM EDT
[#12]
My budget has been pretty tight so I'm running standard length DPMS FF tubes on both my rifles. They are cheap and work farily well.

Brad
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 11:49:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Is there any way to use a bipod with those? I was thinking about either the MI SS rail, or the Troy TRX. I like the idea of being able to mount flip up sights, and I will probably have a bipod attached most of the time. I am trying not to spend a lot as well. I might just keep an eye out on the EE and try to find a used float tube.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 1:49:35 PM EDT
[#14]
No, mine did not have any way to attach a bipod. I ended up drilling the tube on my 26" gun for one. I think a quad rail and bipod adaptor would be a ton nicer.

Brad
Link Posted: 6/7/2010 7:50:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Well I decided on the MI handguard. It is very light, and I didn't really need a quad rail. I don't plan on ever mounting lights or anything, just a bipod and front sight. Here is what I have so far:

I just sat the barrel in place to give an idea of how it will look. I was a bit worried it would look weird without a flash hider, but I like it. The barrel is 17", so I may have him cut it to 16 if possible. Now I just need a bolt and charging handle.
Link Posted: 6/7/2010 8:40:46 PM EDT
[#16]
10/22 barrel stubs converted to dedicated AR barrels

Its more work to turn a 10/22 barrel into a AR barrel instead of starting with a barrel blank
and turning it all down without a barrel extension.
Start with a 1.250 blank and end up with one solid barrel and no need to put on a extension
like the barrel on the right, the other shorties came from a .750 blank and the extension needed
to be made and threaded on.

If you have the 10/22 barrel converted for a AR and have it cut down in length, have the chamber end
cut and get rid of the sporter chamber and use a better reamer to get better acurracy.

one of my barrel jigs for drilling the index pin hole and doing the extractor cut perfect.

one of my 4.5" barrels with a can
Link Posted: 6/8/2010 2:55:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Are you willing to make barrels for other people? Looks pretty awesome man.
Link Posted: 6/8/2010 12:35:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Are you willing to make barrels for other people? Looks pretty awesome man.

IM sent to you

Link Posted: 7/3/2010 7:35:49 PM EDT
[#19]
created2destroy here is your GM 10/22 barrel converted to dedicated 22 Lr
The Spikes kit and collar are machined for a perfect snug fit with the barrel and a threaded
1/2x 28 concentric to the bore for use with a can.

Robert
Link Posted: 7/4/2010 4:43:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Thank you, it looks great! I was thinking about getting a CTR stock, now I just have to after seeing your pictures.

If anyone else is reading, I would highly recommend Redtazdog. He is very helpful, and very fast. He received the parts on the 2nd and sent pics of it completed on the 3rd! Sure beats taking it to a local gunsmith(probably a lot cheaper too).
Link Posted: 7/4/2010 5:54:54 AM EDT
[#21]
After waking up at 4:00am this morning I decided when it get light out I would give the upper a little
testing and here is the results after drinking two large cups of coffee and shooting off of a chair with a pillow for a rest  
50 yard group testing was with a exrta 3-9 power scope that I dont bother to sight in for
bullseye but use it just for group testing from gun to gun.
As long as the scope will keep the groups on paper I dont adjust it.
Shot 50 rnds of several kinds of ammo into a back stop for cycle and function then
50 rounds of two kinds of ammo into targets for accuracy.
Not any ftf, fte or fail of any kind.
I think this upper will shoot better than this with another operator
Sub ammo is quiet in the early morning when you dont want to wakeup the wife
Link Posted: 7/4/2010 7:36:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Well I'm impressed. It looks like it is going to be much more accurate than I expected. Thank you Redtazdog, I am very happy with your work so far.
Link Posted: 7/4/2010 8:08:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Well I'm impressed. It looks like it is going to be much more accurate than I expected. Thank you Redtazdog, I am very happy with your work so far.

I was going to tell you the barrel sucks in accuracy so I better keep it and get you a different one
Link Posted: 7/4/2010 12:49:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Wow, I missed this entire thread. That's what I get for working on motorcycles the last couple weeks.
I knew Redtazdog was off working with some things but didn't realize how far he'd gone. Those 50 yard
groups are killing me.

created2destroy: It appears you have one of if not the most accurate builds I've seen. Unfrigging Believable.
Redtazdog's own 10 round 50 yard group has been something I've tried to match but haven't done yet. It
appears that we have yet another "Master" among barrel makers among us. Congrats to both of you.

Dave
Link Posted: 7/4/2010 9:13:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Wow, I missed this entire thread. That's what I get for working on motorcycles the last couple weeks.
I knew Redtazdog was off working with some things but didn't realize how far he'd gone. Those 50 yard
groups are killing me.

created2destroy: It appears you have one of if not the most accurate builds I've seen. Unfrigging Believable.
Redtazdog's own 10 round 50 yard group has been something I've tried to match but haven't done yet. It
appears that we have yet another "Master" among barrel makers among us. Congrats to both of you.

Dave

Indeed, he is a master. I was honestly shocked when he sent me the pic of the groupings. I was hoping for something decent, but this is unbelievable. Now I'm really glad I didn't buy an expensive barrel blank.
Now I'm just worried I won't be getting the same barrel back
Link Posted: 7/4/2010 10:43:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
After waking up at 4:00am this morning I decided when it get light out I would give the upper a little
testing and here is the results after drinking two large cups of coffee and shooting off of a chair with a pillow for a rest  
50 yard group testing was with a exrta 3-9 power scope that I dont bother to sight in for
Shot 50 rnds of several kinds of ammo into a back stop for cycle and function then
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa166/redtazdog/Dedicated22Lruppergroupsw3.jpg

Are you sure those were shot at 50 yards and not 25 yards? Just kidding! Those are some pretty impressive groups. Hmmm...now you got me thinking. Damn you!
Link Posted: 7/5/2010 12:52:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
groups are killing me.

Dave

I think this barrel may shoot better groups than any of my AR barrel  builds for myself
I have puchased expensive barrel blanks and made good accurate barrels but
then purchased cheap barrel blanks from gunparts corp when they had a sale
and got just as good groups and some times better.
I think the chamber, crown and fit between the barrel and collar all
makes the most out of some barrels.
I have a GM barrel on one of my 10/22's that may find a AR receiver now.

Link Posted: 7/5/2010 6:31:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Redtazdog-

That's amazing!!
Link Posted: 7/5/2010 8:52:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I think this barrel may shoot better groups than any of my AR barrel  builds for myself
I have puchased expensive barrel blanks and made good accurate barrels but
then purchased cheap barrel blanks from gunparts corp when they had a sale
and got just as good groups and some times better.
I think the chamber, crown and fit between the barrel and collar all
makes the most out of some barrels.
I have a GM barrel on one of my 10/22's that may find a AR receiver now.

Well now I know who to talk to when I am ready to build a pistol/sbr.
Thanks again for all of your help. Please feel free to shoot it as much as you want before you send it back.

Link Posted: 7/5/2010 11:53:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Redtazdog: It truly amazes me what comes out of Washington State these days.
I agree that the chamber, collar and the fit play a big role in accuracy. You obviously have
all of that down to a fine science. I'm just an "Old Guy" pulling the trigger, hoping to get
groups like you did. I'd settle for 1 group like the 2 that that you showed. Just once.

Congrats Again,
Dave
Link Posted: 7/5/2010 1:50:19 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm thinking the best way to make a accurate build is to have the dedicated collar
and barrel machined to match together
This way the OAL from the chamber of the barrel to the back of the 22 kit can be made the correct
length/snug fit in the upper receiver.
I have measured many of the 22 kits and some of them are too short for the upper and can be
a loose fit around the barrel and cause marginal accuracy and some times ftf, fte problems.
I find it better to have the 22 kit that will be used in my hand when making the barrel to
match.

and to let you in on a little secret on shooting good groups SpecOps
I get a lot of practice as I shoot almost everyday  
Link Posted: 7/5/2010 8:20:42 PM EDT
[#32]
In my dreams, I shoot every day...

I agree with your thinking 100% but then you are into custom 1 off builds. Manufacturers can't
give the perfection you can. There just isn't time, money or manpower to do it for the masses.
So that makes you a Master Custom Builder or some arrangement of those words. Wow.

Cool,
Dave
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 7:00:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Awesome 50 yard groups! I struggle to get 5 shot 25 yard groups like that. Unfortunately, (or maybe fortunately) I have no place to shoot beyond 25 yards. I'd say you found the right man for the job!
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 3:39:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Awesome 50 yard groups! I struggle to get 5 shot 25 yard groups like that. Unfortunately, (or maybe fortunately) I have no place to shoot beyond 25 yards. I'd say you found the right man for the job!

The 25 yrd groups like that are easy for me because the amount of ammo I go through
but the 50 yrd groups like that are hit and miss even with the same gun and ammo,
One day groups are great and the next they are double the size
I think my best shooting days have been taken away with age sometimes

Link Posted: 7/14/2010 3:48:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 25 yrd groups like that are easy for me because the amount of ammo I go through
but the 50 yrd groups like that are hit and miss even with the same gun and ammo,

I'd settle for double the size of yours! I know what you mean though. Some days I do pretty good and other days I can't hit my rear with both hands. I posted a little range report tonight about the Nordic upper. My first target was so bad I just threw it away. The second one wasn't bad, so I posted it.

Tom
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 4:13:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd settle for double the size of yours! I know what you mean though. Some days I do pretty good and other days I can't hit my rear with both hands. I posted a little range report tonight about the Nordic upper. My first target was so bad I just threw it away. The second one wasn't bad, so I posted it.

Tom

Try many brands and makes of ammo and soon you will find what your barrel likes to eat and
give good groups with.
When I have time, I like to test and shoot for groups with the gun strapped, sand bagged, clamped
to the ground or bench so error of the shooter is eliminated.
This way I'm testing what the gun can shoot not me

Link Posted: 7/14/2010 4:30:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Finding the ammo that a barrel likes is pretty simple.... rman43, I read the post you were talking about and it seems you have 2
choices so far for ammo. There are other match grade ammo's that may do better for you but they may be hard to find right now.

I try very hard to get myself out of the picture. I drink too much coffee and I'm a F.O.G.. I never quite achieve the perfect hold for
all of the groups that I shoot but there are generally a few exceptional ones. Sometimes I screw up on the first shot, I cheat and
move on to the next target. I add whatever the amount of wasted rounds there were so it all comes out in the wash. I can shoot
really tight 5 shot groups a lot of the time. I screw up when I "Shake It Off" in a break between 5 and 10 rounds. What's really
strange is that I have a better 100 yard 5 shot group than the best I have managed at 50.

We're with you. Your groups were pretty good with the right ammo, they will get better as you get used to the new upper.
Dave / Spec
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 4:46:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks Redtazdog and Spec! You know Dave, I can really relate to "too much coffee and being a F.O.G"! I probably drink 10 cups or so a day and I'm so old I can't even remember what my age is. I have a nice folding portable bench that is pretty solid. One of these days I'm going to quit being lazy and haul it to the indoor range. It's pretty heavy and would take up some extra space, but I'm buddies with the owner, so I think he would let me get away with it. I have to come up with some solution or I'll never get any bragging groups or know what the real potential of my rifles are. I still have pretty good trigger control, but without a rock solid rest, my crosshairs are all over the place.

Tom
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 5:15:05 PM EDT
[#39]
I built a really nice rifle rest, pictures are in the 22 sticky near the top of page 8.
It's even heavily weighted. The problem I have with it is making it solid to a bench
and the bench to the ground.. I'd do prone with it but my body won't conform so well
to see through the scope then. Getting Old Sucks, Big Time. Atleast the Dr finally
dialed my new glasses in for 20/15 at extended distance. Same as I was in the
service 35-40 years ago. Now if he could just fix up close so I could see just 1 red dot.

Dave

BTW: I fired a really, really, really good 5 round, 25 yard group last weekend with Eley Match.
Maybe the glasses do help.
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 8:13:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Well, here she is:

I am very happy so far. Sorry for the bad pics, lighting is poor. I will try to take some better ones soon.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 4:02:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Very nice rifle created2destroy and we already know it how good it can shoot! I like it.

Tom
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 4:18:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I built a really nice rifle rest, pictures are in the 22 sticky near the top of page 8.
It's even heavily weighted. The problem I have with it is making it solid to a bench
and the bench to the ground.. I'd do prone with it but my body won't conform so well
to see through the scope then. Getting Old Sucks, Big Time. Atleast the Dr finally
dialed my new glasses in for 20/15 at extended distance. Same as I was in the
service 35-40 years ago. Now if he could just fix up close so I could see just 1 red dot.

Dave

BTW: I fired a really, really, really good 5 round, 25 yard group last weekend with Eley Match.
Maybe the glasses do help.

Dave,

My range has about a 1 x 10 shelf that is not even solidly attached. It sits on a couple of blocks and is a snug fit between the lane dividers. Last night I took a square of plywood and used quick clamps to secure it to the shelf. It sounded like a good idea at the time. I thought I could use sandbags front and rear and would have a fairly stable platform to shoot from. Well, duh... the whole thing moved up and down and it was too high for me to get a good cheek weld and to be able to see through the scope properly. I had to go back to one sandbag under the forearm with no support under the stock. Not exactly ideal for good groups. Next time I'm taking the portable bench. I can adjust the seat height in relation to the bench top, so it should help. My trigger control is still pretty good - if I could just stop my heartbeat from flicking the crosshairs laterally, I'd do OK from a solid rest.

I'm glad your new glasses helped. My close up vision is bad, so I just about have to use a scope. Eley Match shoots really well in one of my TacSol uppers - no so good in the Nordic. They all have their favorites.

Sorry about hi-jacking your thread created2destroy.

Tom

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 4:56:04 AM EDT
[#43]
created2destroy: That looks like a really nice setup. I'm also sorry we got off subject but maybe some of what we said will help you.
Your upper has already shown that it's very capable. I know from experience that it's hard to beat or match Redtazdog's shooting.
Don't be disheartened if it takes some time to do groups like he did. And, if you do, all the better for you..

Good Luck,
Dave / Spec
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 12:03:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Thanks guys, and no need to be sorry.
I need to set up a nice bench too. Yesterday I used a plastic chair to rest the gun on. It worked well enough to sight it in, but not good for groups. Either way, out of about 15 rnds or fed bulk, most of them were within about 1 1/2 inch at 50yrds. There were two I believe that were "flyers" due to me using a flimsy chair. So far the upper has been great.

Today I will hopefully be getting the ammo I ordered. I will let you guys know how it goes when I get a chance to set up a better bench (or drive to the range).
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 1:43:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I need to set up a nice bench too. Yesterday I used a plastic chair to rest the gun on. It worked well enough to sight it in, but not good for groups. Either way, out of about 15 rnds or fed bulk, most of them were within about 1 1/2 inch at 50yrds. There were two I believe that were "flyers" due to me using a flimsy chair. So far the upper has been great.

Today I will hopefully be getting the ammo I ordered. I will let you guys know how it goes when I get a chance to set up a better bench (or drive to the range).

A bipod on the handguard with sandbags on the feet and legs and a sandbag under the stock or grip is your friend when shooting
from a surface that wont move like the ground
Line up on target and squeez the trigger very slow and let the gun do the shooting
This is how I test shoot for groups most of the time to get the best results from a gun.

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 6:28:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A bipod on the handguard with sandbags on the feet and legs and a sandbag under the stock or grip is your friend when shooting
from a surface that wont move like the ground
Line up on target and squeez the trigger very slow and let the gun do the shooting
This is how I test shoot for groups most of the time to get the best results from a gun.

I ordered a swivel stud that I thought would work with that handguard, but no go. I guess I will have to attach a rail. I should be able to test out some different types or ammo tomorrow after work.
Link Posted: 7/16/2010 4:04:57 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa166/redtazdog/Dedicated22Lruppergroupsw3.jpg

Being a long time competitor in the shooting sports, and having recently used my Spike's ST-22 M4 in bench rest competition, I found your results astounding.

So much so that I decided to share them with some of my friends and competitors.  What we have decided, based on your target and the number of rounds you've fired, group size, and distance, is that you have a world record gun.  We are all quite sure that if you used the proper rest and bag, that you could dominate the competition.  We urge you to do so.

Just for comparison, here is a link you can paste into your browser that brings you to some recent BR rimfire records (http://www.riflebarrels.com/winners/default.htm).  Take a close look at the targets shot by master level competitors,  who were really working to get results, at the type of rifle and barrel, the group sizes, and the number of rounds fired.  Your results are simply amazing, and by your own admission, you weren't really trying.

My friends and I all agree: get that gun and yourself off to the next BR competition where you'll undoubtedly rule the day.  But I don't think they'll let you use your pillow.

Ted

Link Posted: 7/16/2010 5:10:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Being a long time competitor in the shooting sports, and having recently used my Spike's ST-22 M4 in bench rest competition, I found your results astounding.

So much so that I decided to share them with some of my friends and competitors.  What we have decided, based on your target and the number of rounds you've fired, group size, and distance, is that you have a world record gun.  We are all quite sure that if you used the proper rest and bag, that you could dominate the competition.  We urge you to do so.

Just for comparison, here is a link you can paste into your browser that brings you to some recent BR rimfire records (http://www.riflebarrels.com/winners/default.htm).  Take a close look at the targets shot by master level competitors,  who were really working to get results, at the type of rifle and barrel, the group sizes, and the number of rounds fired.  Your results are simply amazing, and by your own admission, you weren't really trying.

My friends and I all agree: get that gun and yourself off to the next BR competition where you'll undoubtedly rule the day.  But I don't think they'll let you use your pillow.

Ted

I have seen better groups from kids at 22 competitions and consistant good groups too
Do some group tests with a can on the gun and I bet your group size may change for the better.
I used to shoot pistol and hi power many years ago so I know a little about form.

Link Posted: 7/16/2010 12:12:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ted

I have seen better groups from kids at 22 competitions and consistant good groups too
Do some group tests with a can on the gun and I bet your group size may change for the better.
I used to shoot pistol and hi power many years ago so I know a little about form.

I wish there were more competitions like that around here. This gun will definitely be going with me too the next competition at the local range.
I was there during a meeting a couple months ago. I had my AR with me because I was shooting before the meeting, and I had like 20 people come over to check it out. I guess not many of them had handled an AR before. A few people thought it was a S&W .22
Those guys are going to be amazed if I show up with this gun and beat them all.

Redtazdog is definitely a world class barrel maker. If you can repeat the work you did for me, you could be rolling in money.
Link Posted: 7/16/2010 12:35:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Redtazdog is definitely a world class barrel maker. If you can repeat the work you did for me, you could be rolling in money.

Redtazdog knows a lot more than he'll ever let on. A whole lot.......
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top