Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/25/2010 4:24:33 PM EDT
Nordic has a new 22lr upper coming out soon, I have one of the preproduction prototypes that has near a 1000 rounds on it without cleaning and no malfunctions so far. The big difference is the square bolt similar to a Ruger 10-22. This thing is so "over built" I don’t see how you could ever break or wear it out. I have pictures if someone can tell me how to post them.

JD
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 4:56:42 PM EDT
[#2]
EDIT: Wow, do you learn fast.

Welcome to ARFCOM. To post the pictures you need a host like Photobucket where you can upload
the pictures and store them. You'll need to copy the Direct Link for that picture. Click on the third button
from the right below the message window. It will give a yellow strip along the top asking if you want to
allow a scripted window. Right click the yellow and allow scripted window. Click on the 3rd button from
the right again and paste the direct link in the pop up script link box. Click ok and you should be able to
preview the picture with the preview button on the message page.

Good Luck,
SpecOps-13
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 5:15:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Interesting....does it run with BDM mags?

P.S. Welcome to the boards!
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 6:31:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Welcome aboard JD! That is definitely a different bolt design - looks good. Thanks for the info and pictures.

Tom->
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 6:38:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow, just when I thought we had seen all the uppers we would, someone comes up with a new twist.

Now, what's it cost?

What mags fit it?

When available?
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 6:53:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Price hasn't been determined yet but, Tim @ Nordic tells me they will be very competitive with uppers like Spikes and Tactical Solutions, and uses the Black Dog mags. Should be available in the next two months.

JD
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 7:04:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Almost forgot, they are going to do a side folding stock (easly installed and removed) for those who just want to dedicate one of thier lowers to 22lr only. Kenny is shooting one in the video on the Enos forum, http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=101518

JD
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 8:14:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the heads up, since it takes BDM mags (like my others) I will look at it.

Bolt is kind of different. Who will be the distributors wholesale? Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 4:43:44 AM EDT
[#9]
The system in the upper is a total re-design. Eliminating the inherint flaws of the ciener/air force style of conversions, and later, dedicated uppers. Not to say the the other designs are poor.....lots of people out there have great working conversions.

We sat back and looked at feed back on the present deisgn, took tried and true design that are already out in other 22lr platforms (like the 10/22) and merged them into the Nordic upper.

The bolt uses a 10/22 extrator....which the end user could replace with a volquartsen or power custom if they feel it nesscessary. The firing pin is actually, a shortened AR15 firing pin, made out of the same mat'l, same machines, same military specs. The bolt itself is about 1.5x heavier than the bolt in current conversions. A heavier bolt means that your 'friction' window opens up.....allows the use of a wide range of spring pressures, this also means that the system can run longer between cleanings (all that friction created by the blow back junk). An added benefit is that by a simple change of spring rate.....you can use sub-sonic ammo and have it run as reliable as high velocity ammo. A spring change takes about 3 seconds to do. The ejector is attached to the upper and is solid. So....no broken firing pins, no broken extractors. Less down time due to cleaning, and UBER reliability.

We've tested the upper with just about every trigger set up out there from the 2.5# JP's, timney's, military, 2 stage, McCormicks, etc......they all ran fine and all sent the lead down the barrel. We atribute that to the firing pin. And because of the heavier bolt, the 'hammer' spring plays less of a factor in the over all scheme of added 'friction'

This system has been running all sorts of ammo....including Remington....that being said, if it is gonna hic-up, it will be with Remingtion Sub-sonic ammo. It eats Winchestor sub-sonic all day long. As well as any of the bulk packed ammo out there.

One thing we've heard is the problems with the bolt catch not holding the bolt's back on the current design.....with this new design, when you manually engage the bolt latch....the bolt is held back out of battery by about 5/8".....so you can actually see inside the chamber!!

The barrels, have a modified benz chamber and at first we thought this may be a problem with reliability.....it has not been the case. In the 6 pre-production samples we've made....all are consistanly functioning just like DuckDodgers. I should note that Duck's is not a prototype, it is a pre-production. We've been testing the prototype for a long time and once we made some subtle changes...we made the tooling for a production run, ordered barrels and ran a sample run of 20 parts and so far have assembled 6, with the remaining 14 to be done this next week. We have production running presently and hope to be shipping product by the NRA show.....yes...we WILL have uppers at the NRA show. SO what is presently out there being tested by our sponsored 3 gun shooters......some the best in the nation by the way, is the same upper that we will be shipping to the public.  By the way....accuracy is VERY impressive too!!

Kevin at Black Dog produces the best AR conversion magazine out there, so it will be no suprise that we will include one with each upper. Target price for the uppers will be comperable to what is already out there....so no, this is not a $1000 upper, (more like $550-$575msrp range)....and at msrp, you know the street price will be less. They will be availible thru our current distributors and dealers.

This all being said.....I guess I could have let other people talk about this, but I figure you hear fromt he horses mouth....you now know the entire story. If I broke any rules....sorry, please delete; I would totaly understand.

PS....THE 22WMR IS IN THE WORKS....PRE-PRODUCTION PARTS FOR THAT ARE BEING RUN....THE PROTOTYPE RAN GREAT
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 5:23:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the great info. This thing looks very interesting for sure. We will be watching.
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 6:24:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Are the upper and bolt made out of aluminum/steel or are they ploymere?

I assume the bolt is metal, but some of the pics look like the exterior may be molded. Also, some pics of the upper make me think it is also polymere????

Either way, I like it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 6:37:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Are you going produce different versions (standard m4, railed version, lightweight, etc)?
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 6:43:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Upper is made from a Mil-Spec 7075 aluminum forging.

Bolt and Backer plate is 416 Stainless Steel and QPQ'd (Melonite, very hard but not brittle) They will be VERY tough to say the least.

The only plastic will be the buffer rods on the backer plate.....good to know...eh?

Oh yeah.....100% made in the USA

There is going to be a 18" SS barrel rifle version, a 16" parkerized barrel carbine version and possibly a 20" SS bull barrel version.

The carbine will have a mid length tube that rails will be availible for. Working out the details on the 'gas' block.....either a picatiny rail or A2 sight, not iorned out yet. It could also be made into looking like an M4 if you wanted to, however, a FFT with rails would tend to be more accurate. The tube looks like the one pictured above....only it would be black. The green was just an anodizing experiment, to see how the colors turned out.
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 7:25:57 AM EDT
[#14]
I already like this one and will be axiously waiting to purchase it. I really like how thay did the bolt , firing pin and extractor much like the 10/22 so you don't have to worry about dry firing it when emptying the drum mag.
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 7:26:39 AM EDT
[#15]
work with RDIAS????
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 11:25:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Million dollar question...can existing dedicated .22LR uppers be retrofitted?  If so, can you reuse the barrels?
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 11:40:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Million dollar question...can existing dedicated .22LR uppers be retrofitted?  If so, can you reuse the barrels?

Hmmmm.....gonna say no...You'd literally be trying to put a round peg in a square hole....or vise versa.

If you have a dedicated upper and it works fine for you....I see no reason to change.

If you have a dedicated upper and it doesn't run fine for you....well, you know what to do.

Link Posted: 2/26/2010 12:28:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
work with RDIAS????

Looking at the bolt design.....I would say NO.  Doesn't look like there is anything to trip the RDIAS.  BUT, I hope I'm wrong!
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 12:38:44 PM EDT
[#19]
As of yet it will not work with a RDIAS, but that may change.....
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 1:20:48 PM EDT
[#20]
I'd say a lot of NFA junkies would pass unless a RDIAS or registered lower could be used......if a RDIAS could be used and could be more reliable (less ammo/silencer sensitive) then a large niche would open up.
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 2:05:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
As of yet it will not work with a RDIAS, but that may change.....

Actually, JD.....the other guy modified his (go figure, eh?), and will be talking with Kevin next week at BDM about it. Good ole' Kurt got 980rpm out of it I guess.

Kevin will have an upper early next week and I suspect he'll have it all figured out soon after.
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 2:25:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'd say a lot of NFA junkies would pass unless a RDIAS or registered lower could be used......if a RDIAS could be used and could be more reliable (less ammo/silencer sensitive) then a large niche would open up.

YUP!  Not too many options out there.  Of the ones that are out there, there is lots of tuning involved(springs, trip, anti-bounce, etc.).
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 3:03:38 PM EDT
[#23]
I want one!  :)   What are the configurations?  M4 style, etc?  

Looks like a great product, glad I held off on buying my .22 upper.
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 9:59:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmmm.....gonna say no...You'd literally be trying to put a round peg in a square hole....or vise versa.

If you have a dedicated upper and it works fine for you....I see no reason to change.

If you have a dedicated upper and it doesn't run fine for you....well, you know what to do.

So the barrels proprietary as well?
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 10:34:26 PM EDT
[#25]
So are the upper receivers standard? Or are they made special to fit the bolt? If it does fit a standard receiver, will you sell the barrels and bolts separate? Thanks
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 5:56:58 AM EDT
[#26]
The barrels and bolts are not compatible with a 223 upper receiver, the bolt is actually square and so is the hole through the receiver. The barrel has an integral feed ramp that I don’t think is compatible with other manufactures bolts but, I'm not sure. To make such a reliable system, Nordic had to think outside the box and the only way to do that was to scrap the old way of doing things and invent a new complete upper system instead of a retrofit. That being said they are going to be in the same price range as a Spikes or Tactical Solutions complete upper.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 6:02:54 AM EDT
[#27]
The original proto-type used a Model-1 sales barrel, I made a collar with a ramp that went over the end, then used set screws to lock in place. This barrel fits and works in the current production, however, our barrels have the ramp milled in as shown above.

The upper is a mil-spec 7075 forging, just machined different, then anodized to mil-spec....the Ciener design bolt will not fit. Our bolt will not work with the Ciener design. We could not make a 1" round bolt of the Ceiner design to come close to the weight of the square bolt. In a blow back design....weight of the bolt is paramount. The only way to increase the mass (weight) was to increase it either in diameter or make it square. We found that by making it square offered the most weight increase.

As the bolt weight goes up...the operation window of the spring weight increases. We've been able to run a vast array of ammo from sub-sonic to stingers thru this action. When it came to sub-sonic, we put in a light spring spring (which is a super easy change and the sub-sonic ammo spring will be offered as well) and the upper ate winchester, PMC, RWS, lapua sub-sonic ammo like water going thru a faucet. The Standard spring ran everything else and actually ran some of the sub-sonic ammo too!!

We will offer spare parts.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 6:36:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Who makes your barrels and what kind of accuracy could we expect at 50 yards?
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 6:41:51 AM EDT
[#29]
So these should hit the market in mid May?

Are you going to be doing any sort of pre-order promotion?
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 7:08:08 AM EDT
[#30]
We probably will not say who is making the barrels....how ever, these barrels are the same barrels (manufacture wise, twist and chamber) that I personally used in my 10/22 for IR50/50 years back. I averaged 243 11x with that rifle in the sporter class. The 10 ring was a .22" (I think) and the X ring is the size of a pin head. This would mean....I averaged out of 25 rounds....touching the 10 ring 18 times, 11 of those hit the head of a pin....the other 7 would have been in the 9 ring which is about .44" dia (again...I think). If you've ever seen an IR 50/50 target, you know exactly what I am talking about. (18 x 10 = 180) + (7 x 9 = 63) = 243 11x's

The accuracy potential is definately there.

Figure that we will have product by the NRA show.....we are making parts as I write this. I am sure I am already over the line talking about sales, so I don't really want to go in that any farther.

I will say this....as soon as AR15.com gets back with us......we got the go ahead from upper management to become an Industry partner.  :)
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 1:07:10 PM EDT
[#31]
This all very interesting and I am sure a lot of people are waiting to see these hit the market. Your "clean sheet of paper" approach makes sense.  We are all waiting to see the  production models.
Link Posted: 3/2/2010 3:08:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/2/2010 5:40:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I just got my Nordic upper and WOW! what a nice job, it works great too!  Just got done doing some test firing in my snail.  What a great "think out side the bun" design. This is the way I would of built a upper if Id done one. I used american eagle round nose, fed bulk and blaser ammo and used my FB mags and the new billet magazines, 100% fit and function. The billet mags look great in there too. Now to get this baby to run F/A.

YES PLEASE!!!
Link Posted: 3/2/2010 7:18:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Interested in a price on the WMR version.  Probably come out cheaper than a 10/22 Magnum or clone
Link Posted: 3/2/2010 8:46:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I just got my Nordic upper and WOW! what a nice job, it works great too!  Just got done doing some test firing in my snail.  What a great "think out side the bun" design. This is the way I would of built a upper if Id done one. I used american eagle round nose, fed bulk and blaser ammo and used my FB mags and the new billet magazines, 100% fit and function. The billet mags look great in there too. Now to get this baby to run F/A.

EDIT––  it worked perfect with a drum too!

How many rounds all together did you shoot? Any malfunctions/stopages?
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 3:39:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The original proto-type used a Model-1 sales barrel, I made a collar with a ramp that went over the end, then used set screws to lock in place. This barrel fits and works in the current production, however, our barrels have the ramp milled in as shown above.

The upper is a mil-spec 7075 forging, just machined different, then anodized to mil-spec....the Ciener design bolt will not fit. Our bolt will not work with the Ciener design. We could not make a 1" round bolt of the Ceiner design to come close to the weight of the square bolt. In a blow back design....weight of the bolt is paramount. The only way to increase the mass (weight) was to increase it either in diameter or make it square. We found that by making it square offered the most weight increase.

As the bolt weight goes up...the operation window of the spring weight increases. We've been able to run a vast array of ammo from sub-sonic to stingers thru this action. When it came to sub-sonic, we put in a light spring spring (which is a super easy change and the sub-sonic ammo spring will be offered as well) and the upper ate winchester, PMC, RWS, lapua sub-sonic ammo like water going thru a faucet. The Standard spring ran everything else and actually ran some of the sub-sonic ammo too!!

We will offer spare parts.

Tim, I noticed that the bolt does not ride on the pair of rails like the Ciener-style bolt, just mated to the receiver itself. This design combined with the weight helps eliminate the malfunctions caused by ammo/lubrication/gunk.  The upper we played with last weekend had at least 1500 rds through before us, and it hummed along nicely in 32 degrees weather with subsonics and bulk packs federals.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 10:35:00 PM EDT
[#37]
so any definate timeline on when this are gonna be hitting the streets?
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:37:42 AM EDT
[#38]
I would love to see a video of this in action...

ETA: Doh. Somehow I missed this. >>> http://img695.yfrog.com/i/kenny22rfupper.mp4/
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:20:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Still looking at Mid April.....and definately by the NRA Convention
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:32:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Well I don't really need another .22 LR upper (I have 2), but..... This one sure looks good!
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 1:38:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 1:57:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Who's gonna make the .22mag mag?
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 2:13:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 8:44:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Are you doing any work to get this to work in full auto?  If it's something not in your plan then please let us know so those interested can move on.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 10:25:38 PM EDT
[#45]

Looks like im gonna have to hold off on my 22 build until this comes out..
Is their a pre order or anything we can get in on?

If I read correctly the carbine version will have a mid length gas system and tube?

Also are the FF tubes interchangable or is the supplied FF tube the only compatible version. I have a YHM specter rail and Spikes fake can sitting in my shop that I want to use (its a 22 after all lol) so id be interested in a 16 version with threaded barrel

Link Posted: 3/12/2010 4:25:15 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/12/2010 3:12:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
One of the preproduction units was converted to fire full auto in an M16 lower. I have not seen it, but it was done and it worked great.....there are 2 people working on this now as they get time.

I guess they got 930 or 980rpm out it too.

As we know more, we'll let you know.

Sweet....always nice to have an alternative to the Ciener/Spikes FA kits.  Please make the sear trip compatible with RDIAS's.
Link Posted: 3/13/2010 12:18:05 AM EDT
[#48]
Any plans to offer the upper receivers in A1/A2 format?
Link Posted: 3/13/2010 5:24:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/13/2010 1:12:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Looks like a very promising solution.  If reliability is there, and it is not nearly as finicky as all the other kits, we got a winner.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top