Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 11
Link Posted: 9/22/2009 7:28:15 PM EDT
[#1]
The mod on the RRA bolt takes 5 minutes....remove 0.010" or so on each side of the bottom bolt rail about 1.5" back from the bolt face...just enough for the Glock 9mm mag to fit over the bolt rail. It will work using a 40 S&W mag with 9mm ammo with no mod.
Link Posted: 10/1/2009 8:32:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Back ordered
Link Posted: 10/1/2009 11:29:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Anyone have any idea how the Korean G-18 Mags will work with this??

Seeing as they're HALF the price of the Glock one's........
Link Posted: 10/2/2009 2:15:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Two words - Ronald Williams!
<snip>
If they ever make one that takes Glock 21 magazines, my wife's not going to be happy with me (again)...

MGI has an interchangeable mag well that takes Glock 21 mags.  Should work just fine with one of Ron's uppers (or with Oly uppers, for that matter).

Of course, if your wife objects, you didn't hear that from me....

I'm pretty sure that MGI has not actually introduced any of their planned Glock mag wells. I check with them about every 6 weeks or so. I have 2 of their uppers and lowers and a 9mm bolt and barrel and their 9mm mag well for metalform/colt mags, but REALLY want the Glock mag well and already have a bunch of Glock 33 rd mags waiting.
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 5:08:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Two words - Ronald Williams!
<snip>
If they ever make one that takes Glock 21 magazines, my wife's not going to be happy with me (again)...

MGI has an interchangeable mag well that takes Glock 21 mags.  Should work just fine with one of Ron's uppers (or with Oly uppers, for that matter).

Of course, if your wife objects, you didn't hear that from me....

I'm pretty sure that MGI has not actually introduced any of their planned Glock mag wells. I check with them about every 6 weeks or so. I have 2 of their uppers and lowers and a 9mm bolt and barrel and their 9mm mag well for metalform/colt mags, but REALLY want the Glock mag well and already have a bunch of Glock 33 rd mags waiting.

Not true!  MGI had a booth at the Chantilly gun show back in July, and they were selling complete guns, lowers and mag wells, including the Glock 21 mag well.  They even had a complete gun with an Oly .45 upper and the G21 mag well.  I almost bought a G21 mag well to go with the GG mag well, but just couldn't swing it.  

Of course, I have no idea when or if they're going to do a 9mm (G17 or G19) mag well.  Maybe that's where the disconnect is....
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 5:22:01 AM EDT
[#6]
MGI is selling their .45 ond 10mm magwells and lowers on the web now.  here

I held a 9mm .40 at shotshow, they were selling them there.  I don't know why they are not on the web site.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 1:52:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Updates?
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 2:50:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Yea....

Has anyone SEEN ONE?

HELD ONE???

PUT ONE TOGETHER???

SHOT ONE???

Or, is this a Mighty Photoshop exercise????

I hope not....
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 3:13:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yea....

Has anyone SEEN ONE?

HELD ONE???

PUT ONE TOGETHER???

SHOT ONE???

I hope not....

Page 3
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 10:16:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yea....

Has anyone SEEN ONE?

HELD ONE???

PUT ONE TOGETHER???

SHOT ONE???

I hope not....

Page 3

Okay.....Page 3 doesn't mean squat now....

Spikes has had ONE.....A MONTH AGO....

So, has ANYONE been able to BUY ONE from a dealer.....

ANYWHERE???

I "SAW" the AR45 at the SAR show many years ago.....

But, it was a couple of years after that before it was brought to market....

Just because you "SEE" something on the web, and ONE PERSON has touched it, doesn't mean it's "AVAILABLE"....
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 4:33:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yea....

Has anyone SEEN ONE?

HELD ONE???

PUT ONE TOGETHER???

SHOT ONE???

I hope not....

I quess I didn't see in your post where you were asking if it was available...........they are back ordered on the Lone Wolf sight.  I was just directing you to the answers to all your actuall questions

I thought there was another thread on these too, but can't find it now.
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 5:10:36 AM EDT
[#12]
I am interested in one of these as well but I want to see reviews and issues first.
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 5:12:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yea....

Has anyone SEEN ONE?

HELD ONE???

PUT ONE TOGETHER???

SHOT ONE???

I hope not....

Page 3

ANYWHERE???

Just because you "SEE" something on the web, and ONE PERSON has touched it, doesn't mean it's "AVAILABLE"....

This isn't the only site on the entire web either - there are lots of folks that buy stuff and DON'T post about it on the interwebz.

I've seen a few reports of people that have these lowers, built guns off them, and are using them.  How many are out there?  Call LW and ask them how many they made and shipped so far.  Do some digging and you can find info on them...
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 7:22:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yea....

Has anyone SEEN ONE?

HELD ONE???

PUT ONE TOGETHER???

SHOT ONE???

I hope not....

Page 3

ANYWHERE???

This isn't the only site on the entire web either - there are lots of folks that buy stuff and DON'T post about it on the interwebz.

I've seen a few reports of people that have these lowers, built guns off them, and are using them.  How many are out there?  Call LW and ask them how many they made and shipped so far.  Do some digging and you can find info on them...

Now, WHY in the hell would I do this??  THIS IS the Internet....I can post unreasonable demands, claim to be a Navy Seal/Ninja/Special Forces/Beef Jerky salesman without a shread of proof.

I was trying to find out if anyone HERE had gotten one....

I've been following this thread since AT LEAST page three....Go back and check the postings below the pictures.

I WANT ONE....

My local dealer has ORDERED ONE for me....BUT, no date for shipping....

THAT is why I'm asking if they really exist!!!
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 7:39:16 AM EDT
[#15]
........I am just thinking out loud here........

I have had a couple of AR 9mms in the past....3 IIRC. I think the things I didn't like about them were:

1. The Mag blocks.
2. The fact that is had a little mag going into a large holed receiver.
3. The mags in general....don't know why, I think it is because the quality seems to vary so much from one mag to the next, from one manufacturer to the next...and the good ones aren't cheap.
4. The get very dirty, very fast.

So......what problems will this glock mag lower eliminate:

1. Win...no mag block.
2. Small hole, but still an action that is longer then it needs to be.
3. Win.....good quality mags and fair prices....and big plus if the Korean mags work.
4. Not much to do about this....maybe a gas operated 9mm AR would stay alot cleaner?

I don't like that the bolt will not lock open of empty mag with this one.....

I want one too.........

There was another glock mag lower floating around not too long ago  (Not MGI)...but can't find it now.
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 9:44:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Well, Oly "MADE" a glock mag 9mm gun....

But....

They never sold the lowers alone, and, the Glock Mag guns never were really available.....
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 1:48:07 PM EDT
[#17]
So what's the story on these?

Anyone have a range report?
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 2:07:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Well, Oly "MADE" a glock mag 9mm gun....

But....

They never sold the lowers alone, and, the Glock Mag guns never were really available.....

The other one I am thinking of wasn't Oly......it was very recent.

Link Posted: 10/31/2009 2:19:38 PM EDT
[#19]
The one I bought in a group buy came in but I went ahead and let someone else take my place in line since I have no 9mm upper to put on it yet.  I think I meade the right decision.

I was having lunch with one guy that got one in the first batch.  He said that the magwells were too tight and that the mag release took two hands to operate.  Maybe they will get the bugs worked out before the next batch.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 3:00:49 PM EDT
[#20]
As for those asking about the Korean mags.  I have recently purchased (4) KCI .40 S&W, (2) KCI 9mm and (2) KAHN 9mm mags.
KAHN 9mm
KCI .40 S&W
Victory mags are KCI

What I received were FML, but do NOT drop free.  Interior dimensions are same as OEM Glock, but outside dimensions...polymer coating was a little thick.  A few passes in the mill (.015 each side and front) took care of that.

Springs are similar to OEM.

Follower design is similar, but dimensionally smaller (width wise) than OEM.

All mags held what they said, 31 in .40 and 33 in 9mm.

.40 mags function flawlessly.  9mm function test will have to wait till Sunday
Link Posted: 11/8/2009 4:41:51 PM EDT
[#21]
RyanHass,

Did you have to slim down the mags to fit properly in your Glock handguns, or to fit in the Lone Wolf Gloack AR lower?

..............and, Bump for anyone else having info on this......anyone else get one, your experience?
Link Posted: 11/8/2009 4:45:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The mod on the RRA bolt takes 5 minutes....remove 0.010" or so on each side of the bottom bolt rail about 1.5" back from the bolt face...just enough for the Glock 9mm mag to fit over the bolt rail. It will work using a 40 S&W mag with 9mm ammo with no mod.

Any updates/progress on your 9mm? Pics?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/9/2009 5:32:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Progress yes, pictures...no.

I have 3 uppers running with RRA bolts. One 16", One 10" and one 6.5" all using Coastal supressors and without a suppressor. I just talked to Lone Wolf today and backordered another lower to use as a demo. I bought a 12" barrel and when it got here it turned out to be an Oly and I sent it back. The LWD lower feeds everything I have fed it from subs to +P+ loads. I even played with the idea of using it with a 10mm mag and a 7.62x25, but the ammo is too long to make it work. So far the lower has functioned perfectly with the modified RRA bolt, 9mm mags and any type of ammo.

All considered it works really well.
Link Posted: 11/10/2009 5:17:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
RyanHass,

Did you have to slim down the mags to fit properly in your Glock handguns, or to fit in the Lone Wolf Gloack AR lower?

..............and, Bump for anyone else having info on this......anyone else get one, your experience?

I've had the Khan ~30+ round 9mm mags for quite some time now - they seem to fit and drop free just fine from the 3 Glocks I have.  If they don't drop free from the LW lower, then the magwell is probably machined a bit too small.

They are certainly not high quality mags either - they feel and look noticeably cheaper than Glock factory mags, but at least they seem to function 100% in my limited range testing.
Link Posted: 11/10/2009 5:19:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I even played with the idea of using it with a 10mm mag and a 7.62x25, but the ammo is too long to make it work.

The magwell is sized for the smaller frame 9mm/.40 mags.  Were you planning to open it up to fit the .45/10mm mags yourself or is LW planning to offer a lower with a .45/10mm sized magwell?
Link Posted: 11/12/2009 6:49:54 PM EDT
[#26]
just found two online, dont bother asking where, they are out now.
all my empty mags drop free, but all my full mags are tight as hell.
wont have any more info till i get some more parts.
Link Posted: 11/13/2009 4:13:24 AM EDT
[#27]
If Spike's does an upper for this, i'm in for sure. Already have 30 Glock 18 mags, so i am GTG.
Link Posted: 11/13/2009 5:02:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If Spike's does an upper for this, i'm in for sure. Already have 30 Glock 18 mags, so i am GTG.

They already do Colt style uppers that will work - one minor mod to the Colt style bolt and they're GTG.
Link Posted: 11/13/2009 5:37:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They already do Colt style uppers that will work - one minor mod to the Colt style bolt and they're GTG.

I wish Spikes would offer modified bolts.........I could do it myself, but would rather purchase it that way.

I have decided this is my next 9mm.....I have actually sold all my 9mm carbines. I have been holding out on the MCS, but I may be on social security by the time that one is just right to sell. This seems like the best thing 9mm in an AR.....for me anyway, I just like the mag idea.
Link Posted: 11/13/2009 9:41:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wish Spikes would offer modified bolts.........I could do it myself, but would rather purchase it that way.

I have decided this is my next 9mm.....I have actually sold all my 9mm carbines. I have been holding out on the MCS, but I may be on social security by the time that one is just right to sell. This seems like the best thing 9mm in an AR.....for me anyway, I just like the mag idea.

I understand where you are coming from and I hope this doesn't get taken the wrong way, but why should someone else have to offer a modified bolt?  Why didn't LW offer modified Colt bolts to go with their lower?  On a side note, I'm kind of surprised CMMG hasn't jumped in to offer a modified version of their bolt.  Maybe their too busy knocking off a Glock mag lower of their own?
Link Posted: 11/13/2009 11:52:43 AM EDT
[#31]
The only reason I was thinking Spikes (or any other company that has the ability) may just be another way to make a dollar and fill a need.

If it is as easy as the one poster mentioned.......I would probably just do it myself.

I have a little milling machine, but have a $hitty vise on it. I can do light jobs as long as I can get a good hold on the item and not launch it accross the room once I start cutting.

It would just be nice is somebody....anybody...offered the modded bolt.
Link Posted: 11/13/2009 1:42:14 PM EDT
[#32]
i am optimistic.
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 12:17:25 PM EDT
[#33]
bump
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 2:02:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Maybe the lag time between batches is due to a minor tweaking of the design to accommodate a standard Colt bolt?
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 2:45:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Maybe the lag time between batches is due to a minor tweaking of the design to accommodate a standard Colt bolt?

I don't think it would be possible, unless they actually re-designed Glock mags
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 8:51:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Any update on when they will be back in stock?  I ordered mine at the beginning of Oct.
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 11:05:12 AM EDT
[#37]
just thought you would like to know...
built my gun with a rra bolt, receiver, and colt (i think) barrel...all bought seperately.
milled the bolt as per the pics in this post.
no other mods were necessary.
loaded mags are a tight fit but not too bad.
ran it yesterday for the first time... 150 rounds (fmj) and 0 malfunctions.
i'm not recomending anything to anyone...just sharing my experiences.
pics to follow shortly of course.
HGJ

eta...sorry no pics yet,
i shortened the barrel and built a custom muzzle brake, and now everything is off to be reparked.
i promise pics when its re-assembled.

Link Posted: 1/5/2010 11:32:42 AM EDT
[#38]
If/when they ever get them back in stock, I plan to buy one......I can't wait another 2+ years for the MSAR 9mm Bullpup

Do you have trouble with the Korean mags fitting the mag well? I plan to buy Glock ones anyway, but I think I read that the Korean 33 rounders wouldn't fit.
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 12:18:15 PM EDT
[#39]
i dont own any koreans to try.
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 12:19:05 PM EDT
[#40]
i dont own any koreans to try.
my 19, 17, and 33 all worked.
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 7:46:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Any more feedback on these. I picked one up but haven't built anything out of it yet. Has anyone compared an oly upper and a standard colt style and determined if there were any reliability or other differences?
Link Posted: 1/28/2010 5:04:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Neat, I didn't think anyone but Oly was making these.

I have an Oly in .40S&W that takes Glock mags.  I have never had any kind of reliability issue with it, and am more than happy with everything about it.  I never understood the Oly bashing.  My only gripe was that the Scherer 29rd mag didn't feed very well - Glock factory mags work great - I just wish Glock made a factory mag for .40S&W that had higher capacity than 15rd!  I haven't ever compared my rifle to another pistol cal upper, but would be happy to if anyone in the south metro ATL area has one (colt, etc) and wants to wants to.
Link Posted: 1/28/2010 5:14:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I have an Oly in .40S&W that takes Glock mags.  I have never had any kind of reliability issue with it, and am more than happy with everything about it.  I never understood the Oly bashing.  My only gripe was that the Scherer 29rd mag didn't feed very well - Glock factory mags work great - I just wish Glock made a factory mag for .40S&W that had higher capacity than 15rd!  I haven't ever compared my rifle to another pistol cal upper, but would be happy to if anyone in the south metro ATL area has one (colt, etc) and wants to wants to.

The korean .40 hi caps seem to work a lot better than the Scherers - plus they are only $15 or so.
Link Posted: 1/28/2010 1:46:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Grr I'm hoping for more info on the Lone Wolf lowers, not the Oly models :)
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 4:29:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The korean .40 hi caps seem to work a lot better than the Scherers - plus they are only $15 or so.

I just looked on GB, and the only Korean Glock mags were 15rd - do you know where to find the higher capacity mags?
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 5:00:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just looked on GB, and the only Korean Glock mags were 15rd - do you know where to find the higher capacity mags?

They are sold under various names - Botach sells them under the Victory brand - can't tell you for sure if that is the "brand name" every one else is using also or not - the 9mm korean mags were sold under Khan and KCI and I believe Botach is selling those under the Victory brand also.  The 9mm ones seem to be fairly available - the .40's don't seem to have the same availability - yet...
Link Posted: 2/10/2010 12:31:00 PM EDT
[#47]
I just got in line for a LWD glock complete lower. Still backordered of course. I called LWD and talked in someone in the sales department.  I asked when they would start shipping, he stated, "Any day now".  Im sure they say that to everyone.  I won't hold my breath.  I should be getting my tax refund back next week, cha-ching! and its all ready burning a hole in my pocket.  I want to complete my 9mm SBR!    Lets go LWD!
Link Posted: 2/11/2010 8:04:32 PM EDT
[#48]
I'll believe it when they ship them.  I've been sitting on back order since 10/24/09
Link Posted: 2/11/2010 11:24:32 PM EDT
[#49]
OK guys... sorry for not getting back to this thread sooner, but my 65 hour work weeks are taking a bit of a toll on my Internet surfing and trigger time. Lets see if I can be somewhat cohesive and/or coherent in my posting.

I posted earlier that I have both an Oly/Glock 9mm AR and one of the Lone Wolf / Glock ARs. I finally got the LW one put together and have a few things to report. A few issues that I noticed while assembling it.

1.  The hole that the detent and detent spring that is the keeper for the front take down pivot pin was drilled way to shallow on my lower. I had to cut the long detent spring to roughly 2/3 the original length to make the detent pin and sprin fit. Even then it was a tight fit.

2. The area in the back part of the lower receiver that is milled out to accept the upper receiver's lug where the take down pin goes through was very very tight. Please note that the upper I am using on this lower is a Les Baer and are usually a bit over sized, but fits fine on a few other lowers. I did a little reduction on the upper receiver to get it to fit.

3. The Magwell is tight and doesn't allow the factory Glock 9mm or 40SW mags to drop free. (More on this below)

4. The mag release bar needed some of the rear section to be slightly radius-ed to clear/insert into the receiver. This took a few light passes with the Dremel.

5. The mag release bar was a freaking pain in the ass to push. When I first got it I had to use both of my thumbs pushing down on it to clear enough that a mag could be removed. It has since broken in some. It still requires a decent amount of force to push, but I can do it with my primary index finger alone now. The pivot point is angled and maybe a touch farther back compared to the Oly setup. I prefer Oly's while it requires a touch more distance to move I have more leverage to do it with.

After assembling the lower and attaching the rest of the gun to it I tried some of the KCI (Korean) large cap mags... both the 33rnd 9mm and 31rnd 40SW. I found out that the 9mm Korean mags are a touch larger in width than the Factory Glock mags. And in turn the Korean 40SW mags are even a larger size compared to both. I was going to measure these and do a pictorial, but time just hasn't been there...... MAYBE this weekend if there are enough people wanting it. Basically without milling the magwell slightly or doing a reduction to the Korean mags...... they can't be used. The Korean 9mm mag will fit ......................... if a hammer is used.

I contacted the head of the project at LW to discuss what I had found. He mentioned that they knew of #1, #3 and vaguely #5. This was around the time of the SAR show......yes that long ago. He was pretty busy and we both decided to pick it up after the first of the year. He also mentioned that he would be talking to the machinist/company that was actually building these to see where to go as the main reason LW started this project was due to the Korean Mags coming onto the market in he first place. Fast forward to about a month ago when I contacted him again about what to do. Previously he was mentioning that they would take back my lower and either mill it out or send me a new and improved lower, but when I did get back with him he said that "They couldn't get the current version to work with both the factory mags and the Korean as if they milled out the magwell the factory mags would be too loose". He then offered to buy back my lower. I declined the offer figuring I'd make the thing work myself either by milling the magwell or some Korean mags neither of which I have had time to act on. I'm hoping that my work time is slowing down a touch now and I can have some time to even go shooting.......sigh............

I will try to get some photos up to help ad some visuals to this and I hope that the info helps people out in some manor. I really like the idea of these and think with some tweaking they would be great, but I don't think that there was much if any trigger time on these before they were out the door.

Right: Lone Wolf/Glock AR with SRT Integral 9mm Suppressor , Center: Glock 17 w/TROS DIPII 9mm, Left: Oly/Glock SBR w/SWR Trident

Link Posted: 2/12/2010 8:16:02 AM EDT
[#50]
That helps alot....thank you.

If we had to think of a fix for the mag issue, I guess it may be a happy medium if the factory glock mags dropped free, because I would think that may be just enough that the korearn mags would fit tightly. If it is a definete this or that...I vote to keep it working with factory mags. They are a bit higher priced, but we know they work well....in the pistols anyway.

If you were to drill and tap a small hole in the finger pad area of the mag release and add a 1/4" or so button to it, would that help?

I do have one on back order, and they are supposed to be "Any day".
Page / 11
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top