Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2008 3:26:25 PM EDT
Here's how I did a quick and easy fix to prevent bolt stop breakage in my Colt style 9mm.
I got the spacers below from Lowe's for about $1.85 for a pack of 2. (These in the pic have been modified already)
Since they are 1" outside they need to be trimmed down just a bit.
I found that the sanding mandrel (picture insert) for my Dremel fit perfectly in the hole without a sanding drum in place. I installed the spacer on the drum and snugged it up.
I then ran it at a moderate speed (so as not to explode my Dremel) on a piece of coarse emery cloth until it would just slide on it's own into the buffer tube.
I dropped in 2 of them, then put in the spring on top of them, then the standard RRA 9mm buffer and checked it. Low and behold the bolt has right about 1/8 inch of travel to the bolt stop when fully rearward.
I ran 200 rounds through it yesterday with much of that bump fired and had zero issues.
PS- The ProMags kept up with bump firing just fine.

Here's a link to the video of the rifle running with a ProMag I cut down to 20 rounds.
(This was the first time I've attempted bump firing. Yes I know it is useless, but it was fun to try and it was a good test for the gear. And all rounds were kept in the lower half of the berm)
Edit to add: Ammo used was WWB 115gr.

Video Link
Link Posted: 9/11/2008 4:14:47 PM EDT
[#1]
deleted by me
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 6:28:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Update.....
This is still working, but it has left a bit of indent on the plastic tailpiece of my buffer.
It's purely cosmetic, but it is a bit ugly after 800 rounds.
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 9:33:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Try $1.75 in coins (quarters) placed in the buffer tube.  Worked for me, took about 1 min of time, and still fully functional after about 10,000 rounds.

I like your idea though.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top