Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2006 1:37:01 AM EDT
For anybody looking for GG magazines for AR45 or Cav45, I didn't want to hijack TANGOCHASERS thread for this.
I've been following the AR45 thread since the beginning, so in anticipation of release I needed some Grease Gun magazines.  I priced them last year while following the Cav-45 build thread they could be found in several places NIW for $16.  When I started looking again I found they've increased in price at the vendors I found back then to ~$25.  And some of the vendors are now out of GG mags.

So I searched this board and the net and found a half dozen sources.  The best I found was from an ad on Beltgun.com

Thomas Carroll  -  [email protected]

I just received 12 NIW Grease Gun magazines for $16 +$2 shipping each.  They were wrapped in heavy kraft paper and foil.  Not a speck of rust on them.  He sells used mags for $12 each.  $2 each for shipping may seem steep, but 12 mags at $25 each plus shipping is still higher.
Sorry for the crappy pics.

Thomas was a nice guy to deal with and they shipped a day after payment as advertised.
The mags are from two different manufacturers (KL and SPW).  The KL mags have a square mag catch slot, the SPW mags have the rounded slot.  The back spine is also a little different. According to TANGOCHASER - BOTH will work unaltered!  

KL mags

SPW mags

I can post the other sources too if requested.

ETA-edited for correction.
Link Posted: 9/8/2006 7:21:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Recon Ordnance told me they're out of Grease Gun magazines.

Additional Sources I found:

SSGT Steve Watson
IMA
e-gunparts.com
Tom Bowers
Keep Shooting
Tactical Innovations

I have no experience dealing with any of them, though I've read several people on this board have dealt with Tom Bowers and IMA.
Link Posted: 9/9/2006 4:10:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought a few mags from IMA.  If you buy the 3-pack, you save $2.50 per mag.  Also, the $5 hand select fee is applied only once if you order more than one - an order of ten 3-packs, with hand select on all of them, is only an extra $5 added to the total for the entire order.

I opted for the hand select, and the only problem I've noticed is that some of the wrapper (which was removed before I received the mags) seems to have stuck pretty securely to the outside of the mags.  Elbow grease and solvent took care of the one I've cleaned up for experimenting.

ETA: The mags I received were a mix of square notch and D notch, for the mag catch.
Link Posted: 9/9/2006 8:50:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/10/2006 8:36:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I was in a local Army Surplus store on Saturday, and they had Brand new in wrapper
M3 grease gun mags for $24.95 each.

I bought one and was very impressed. These mags were wrapped in GI wax paper with the contract number and the date February 1957.

Pretty cool when I thought that these mags haven't been touched or seen the light of day for almost 50 years!

The mag I bought is absolutely flawless, and looks like it was manufactured yesterday.

This same surplus store also had used 30 round AR mags with green followers for $24.95 each.

Link Posted: 10/8/2006 7:23:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Has anyone ordered from any of these sources lately? Can these mags still be found in quantity?
Link Posted: 10/11/2006 5:12:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 4:11:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Has anyone ordered from any of these sources lately? Can these mags still be found in quantity?

+1
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 4:24:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I ordered another dozen from Thomas Carroll 2 weeks ago.  
The second batch were in better condition than the first.  Still in the rust resistant outer bags marked with date of manufacture 07/1982.
He reduced his shipping charges too.
His e-mail is in the lead post above.
Link Posted: 3/2/2007 10:38:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I took some pics of the mags I just received from Thomas Carroll
The first batch I received were not in the heavy outerwrap.  These are SEALED NIW in the rust preventer bags.  
The bag markings indicate these mags were either manufactured in 1981 or 1982 or were refurbed at that time.  
The outer stamps read 7/82 so I think that is the date they were packaged.

The outer bag markings

The outer heavy kraft paper bag

Inside, heavy foil and rust preventer paper

Mag unwrapped

The inner wrapping markerings

The mag itself, this one is SPW the other manufacturer is KL
only small spots of surface rust.  Inside the spring looks similar.  A wipedown with oil is all they really need.

Link Posted: 3/8/2007 5:25:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I found this, they have a sign up list for new manufacture m3 mags, $19.95 ea,

http://www.keepshooting.com/firearmaccessories/magazines/usgim3mag.htm

I don't know any more than I read at their site, have not bought from them either.
Link Posted: 3/8/2007 6:42:51 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I found this, they have a sign up list for new manufacture m3 mags, $19.95 ea,

www.keepshooting.com/firearmaccessories/magazines/usgim3mag.htm

I don't know any more than I read at their site, have not bought from them either.

Interesting...
Made the link hot for you
Link Posted: 3/9/2007 3:13:42 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I ordered another dozen from Thomas Carroll 2 weeks ago.  
The second batch were in better condition than the first.  Still in the rust resistant outer bags marked with date of manufacture 07/1982.
He reduced his shipping charges too.
His e-mail is in the lead post above.

Well I just bought his last six He email me earlier and said he had 38 but I was at work.
Who bought the others !!!!!

Edit to add is the Armalite poly lower the same as the MKII? I need to buy the hahn block also . Where's the best place to do this?
Thanks
Link Posted: 3/9/2007 3:51:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Wow, Tom's out.  I hope we did him right, he's good people.  

I believe the Armalite Eagle-Arms polymer lower is licensed from (the same as) Cavarms.

Slash sells the buffers and magazine blocks in the EE.

They are also available from Brownells - Mag Block and Buffer.

This is the whole 15 page Cav Arms 45 thread.
Link Posted: 3/9/2007 6:05:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I just purchased four from IMA for $25/ea. + $5 for hand select ($105 total).  They arrived in four days wrapped in clear plastic.  They appear new with a light coat of goop.
Link Posted: 3/9/2007 6:05:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I know I bought 12 of them two weeks ago.   Good to go, appreciate the link.
Yeah, the Cav lower on the Armalite is marked Eagle, but other than that it is the same.  The Hahn block fits great.  Slash will have it too you in a few days.
Link Posted: 3/11/2007 4:20:34 PM EDT
[#16]
I went to a gunshow today looking for GG mags.  I bought seven of the nine I found there.  Five were NIW for $15 each, and I paid $20 at two other venders for used mags, but in great shape.  There were two others there used but in great shape for $25 and $35.  I guess I should have grabbed them, but I figured I had spent enough money on mags that I don't even have the lower for yet!

I was using converted STEN mags in my Oly .45acp AR, but damn, my thumb sure gets sore loading them, and they only hold 15 rounds.  Looks like it's a Cav Arms lower for me now.

I was hoping the AR45 100% lower was going to surface (my friend built one of the 20% AR45's and I'm very impressed with the quality) since I don't have access to a decent milling machine anymore.  I really didn't want to go plastic for my AR, but I guess I have to do what I have to do!
Link Posted: 3/11/2007 5:53:03 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I was hoping the AR45 100% lower was going to surface (my friend built one of the 20% AR45's and I'm very impressed with the quality) since I don't have access to a decent milling machine anymore.  I really didn't want to go plastic for my AR, but I guess I have to do what I have to do!

I really want one of CNC/TANGOCHASER's AR45s.  I've got one of Justin's A1 handles and it's beautiful.

If the AR45 isn't released by Aug-Sep when I return to CONUS, the Bazooka Brothers lower will probably be my fallback option.
Link Posted: 3/11/2007 7:23:52 PM EDT
[#18]
I am working with another company right now to get the AR45 on the street. Considering the pain I've gone through already, I'm not getting my hopes up but I do have some positive prospects. The AR45 ain't dead yet.
Link Posted: 3/11/2007 8:41:53 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I am working with another company right now to get the AR45 on the street. Considering the pain I've gone through already, I'm not getting my hopes up but I do have some positive prospects. The AR45 ain't dead yet.

Doing the AR45 rain dance over here  

Link Posted: 3/12/2007 6:16:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top