BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/9/2017 4:51:54 PM EDT
This is about the causes for AR failure in descending order.  People will always say "if you buy quality parts, this won't happen" and then a discussion/argument develops as to which parts are best.  can we please postpone this discussion and simply, for now, just innumerate the reasons for failure for the guy-next-door's AR 15?

Here is my order based on only listening to others and reading.  It would be great if each reader added something or altered the order as he sees fit.  So from most likely to fail to least likely to fail:

1. magazine feeding problems.
2. trigger spring
3. hammer spring
4. extractor spring
5. other extractor problems
6. red dot failures
   a. battery
   b. mechanical/electric
7. lubrication problem-running too dry
8. dirty rifle coupled with lubrication
9. bolt ring wear
10.bolt carrier failure
11.barrel/bore wear

Please add/reorder as your experience dictates.  Thanks
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 4:53:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Surprised to see trigger spring as #2 after mag failures.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 4:56:40 PM EDT
[#2]
must be referring to light strikes as trigger/hammer spring failure no? that's just the wrong spring for the ammo, not really a failure.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 5:01:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Define "fails" - shoots once, but then doesn't cycle? Or doesn't shoot in the first place? Or doesn't hit what you aimed at?

The list varies by where in the life-cycle of your rifle you are, and what your specific problem is.

Of all the (what I consider) failures I've encountered over the decades, of any kind, none have been trigger spring related. Most have been ammo or magazine related, and only very occasionally related to lube or cleaning issues.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 5:45:29 PM EDT
[#4]
To be fair, 4 of your items are because of wear and use, which is not the same as just "failing".
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 7:15:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't want to get hung up on what fail means.  It may actually mean different things to different people.  "Fail" to me means the gun stops running.  

Trigger springs are there because of a video.  This video interviewed an armorer at one of those Las Vegas shooting ranges where you can rent guns.  In the video he was asked what went wrong most in an AR15 or what do you have to replace the most and he said trigger springs.  If you feel this is wrong, please say so.

Please feel free to just delete things off my list you think are wrong or add things.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 2:02:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Not sure what order it should come in but gas issues is a common reason for failing, also buffer weights being off.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 2:03:37 PM EDT
[#7]
In my experience I would say:

Most common are ammo and magazine related.
After that I would list BCG and gas system.
Lastly I would go with FCG or Buffer system.

Ammo
Magazines
BCG
-gas key
-extractor
Gas system
-gas block alignment
-gas port size
-gas tube
FCG
-trigger spring
-hammer spring
Buffer
-spring

And above all that: Proper Maintenance.

Something like that.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 2:49:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:57:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In my experience I would say:

Most common are ammo and magazine related.
After that I would list BCG and gas system.
Lastly I would go with FCG or Buffer system.

Ammo
Magazines
BCG
-gas key
-extractor
Gas system
-gas block alignment
-gas port size
-gas tube
FCG
-trigger spring
-hammer spring
Buffer
-spring

And above all that: Proper Maintenance.

Something like that.
View Quote
I notice you are separating ammo from magazine.  Please elaborate on this if you would.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:58:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
link
View Quote
Very nice article.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 12:49:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Any magazine, ammo, or maintenance related issues should really be separate from the routine mechanical failures.

With magazines you would have to address individual brands and models for lifetime/wear/failures.
Ammo and maintenance are dependent on the end user, so that's not really a constant.

It would also help to know what the purpose of the list is to know what you are trying to accomplish.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 1:04:00 AM EDT
[#12]
adding to the ammo---- heard of primers falling out getting stuck in the trigger group
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 1:16:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Well from what I've found the extractor/ejector is a weak design. This is even more obvious in the AR-10 with it's ejection issues... But a O-ring and extra power extractor spring seems to help a lot in the AR-15 platform. Also using a heavy buffer seems to help a lot. Adjustable gas blocks are great to help fine tune the gas system. Pretty much all my AR's get extra power extractor springs and O-rings and heavy buffers and adjustable gas blocks.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 1:12:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Well from what I've found the extractor/ejector is a weak design. This is even more obvious in the AR-10 with it's ejection issues... But a O-ring and extra power extractor spring seems to help a lot in the AR-15 platform. Also using a heavy buffer seems to help a lot. Adjustable gas blocks are great to help fine tune the gas system. Pretty much all my AR's get extra power extractor springs and O-rings and heavy buffers and adjustable gas blocks.
View Quote
So can the extractor spring be beefed up and an O-ring added without making any other changes?  If there is no downside in doing this why is this not mil spec/ why do AR15 manufacturers not do this?
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 1:42:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

So can the extractor spring be beefed up and an O-ring added without making any other changes?  If there is no downside in doing this why is this not mil spec/ why do AR15 manufacturers not do this?
View Quote
They do.

What is the point of this list?
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 1:46:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Because the o-ring was a Band-Aid fix.

The proper corrective action was to redesign the spring, P/N 13004786.

Extraction problems are usually a symptom, not a cause....
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:28:11 PM EDT
[#17]
In order to properly analysis why any system fails to function properly, one need to look at all the possible failures and, in turn, all the possible causal factor to each of these failures.

I was going to go into a long winded explanation, but to keep it short, just look up what a "wish-bone" diagram is, and make one for the AR (actually it will be good for any automatic, or semi-automatic, firearm).

Then you just look for which parts are at the tips of each "bone"....  

You will find that "ammunition" and "magazines" account for a large number of problems.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:29:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:I notice you are separating ammo from magazine.  Please elaborate on this if you would.
View Quote
Good magazine will not cause bad ammo to work, and good ammo will not feed in bad magazines....
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 5:17:37 PM EDT
[#19]
An M16 will fail when an inattentive PFC leans his against a HUMVEE and then drives off without it. I wish I had a picture, it was a sight to behold.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:00:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
An M16 will fail when an inattentive PFC leans his against a HUMVEE and then drives off without it. I wish I had a picture, it was a sight to behold.
View Quote
Slightly better than driving over it . . .

with an M113.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 12:45:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

They do.

What is the point of this list?
View Quote
Yeah, this the second time you have asked this question.  To me, it sounds like you are gearing up to make some sort of statement.  Why don't you do that?
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 1:01:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
In order to properly analysis why any system fails to function properly, one need to look at all the possible failures and, in turn, all the possible causal factor to each of these failures.

I was going to go into a long winded explanation, but to keep it short, just look up what a "wish-bone" diagram is, and make one for the AR (actually it will be good for any automatic, or semi-automatic, firearm).

Then you just look for which parts are at the tips of each "bone"....  

You will find that "ammunition" and "magazines" account for a large number of problems.
View Quote
Is this the diagram you mean?  It looks to me as if this method is used for the design of something.  We already have a design.  Points of failure in that design are the subject.  There is a secondary problem common in all machines related to a simple fix.  The questions becomes will simply changing one part result in some sort of imbalance in the machine's (in this case the AR's) working, causing a secondary failure somewhere else?  This secondary question is what I am asking concerning the replacement of the extractor spring and rubber retainer.  Will introducing a spring of higher tension cause a problem somewhere else?  I suspect it will or the original design would have called for a spring of higher tension.  Nevertheless, the new spring may be the best solution to extractor problems, even if it causes other problems, I don't know.  Does anyone have any comments on this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ishikawa_diagram
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 1:10:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Failures I've had and witnessed.

77 grain military Black Hills ammo (262?)...shed a primer and tied up the trigger group.

A brass shaving got into the barrel extension and tied the rifle up hard, took about 5 minutes during a match to figure it out and scrape the bastard out. Rifle started the day out clean and functioned perfectly until...Shazaam!  Hasn't done it since, feed ramps look good, ejected brass is in good shape. Gremlins.

I've had a set screw gas block shoot loose during a high volume course of fire, turning the rifle into a bolt action.  I also witnessed it happen to multiple other competitors, leading to my preference for taper pinned gas blocks.

I've seen stocks break when being mortared open.

I've had crappy mags that I stomped flat and threw away.  I've seen others hoard their crappy mags, and be mystified when they have ongoing problems.

I've seen the internal bubble level on a Springfield Armory shoot loose and obscure the reticle.

I've seen scopes fail to hold zero or track properly.

Stuff happens.  Happens less when you use good ammo, good mags, and pay attention.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 4:53:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Is this the diagram you mean?  It looks to me as if this method is used for the design of something.  We already have a design.  Points of failure in that design are the subject.  There is a secondary problem common in all machines related to a simple fix.  The questions becomes will simply changing one part result in some sort of imbalance in the machine's (in this case the AR's) working, causing a secondary failure somewhere else?  This secondary question is what I am asking concerning the replacement of the extractor spring and rubber retainer.  Will introducing a spring of higher tension cause a problem somewhere else?  I suspect it will or the original design would have called for a spring of higher tension.  Nevertheless, the new spring may be the best solution to extractor problems, even if it causes other problems, I don't know.  Does anyone have any comments on this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ishikawa_diagram
View Quote
How do you think you find out what parts cause things to fail?  It can be used during design or in-service.  Preferably both, as during service failure show up that you didn't expect to see during design.

In this exercise, if you do the diagram right, each part that can cause a failure will show up at the top of all failures it will cause.  For example, the extractor spring will show up at the top of "failure to extract" and "failure to lock" as the wrong spring tension can result in both of these outcomes. (Too weak, it jumps the rim during extraction, too strong, it won't jump the rim during locking.)

And, all the o-ring does in increase the effective spring force on the end of the extractor, i.e., makes the extractor think it has a stronger spring under it.  The improved spring design does that as well as having a different buffer insert optimized for the M4 extraction cycle.  Remember the original spring was designed for a rifle length gas system.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:09:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Failures I've had and witnessed.

77 grain military Black Hills ammo (262?)...shed a primer and tied up the trigger group.

A brass shaving got into the barrel extension and tied the rifle up hard, took about 5 minutes during a match to figure it out and scrape the bastard out. Rifle started the day out clean and functioned perfectly until...Shazaam!  Hasn't done it since, feed ramps look good, ejected brass is in good shape. Gremlins.

I've had a set screw gas block shoot loose during a high volume course of fire, turning the rifle into a bolt action.  I also witnessed it happen to multiple other competitors, leading to my preference for taper pinned gas blocks.

I've seen stocks break when being mortared open.

I've had crappy mags that I stomped flat and threw away.  I've seen others hoard their crappy mags, and be mystified when they have ongoing problems.

I've seen the internal bubble level on a Springfield Armory shoot loose and obscure the reticle.

I've seen scopes fail to hold zero or track properly.

Stuff happens.  Happens less when you use good ammo, good mags, and pay attention.
View Quote
Good list of bad things!  I'll certainly try to use good ammo, good mags and pay attention.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:11:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

How do you think you find out what parts cause things to fail?  It can be used during design or in-service.  Preferably both, as during service failure show up that you didn't expect to see during design.

In this exercise, if you do the diagram right, each part that can cause a failure will show up at the top of all failures it will cause.  For example, the extractor spring will show up at the top of "failure to extract" and "failure to lock" as the wrong spring tension can result in both of these outcomes. (Too weak, it jumps the rim during extraction, too strong, it won't jump the rim during locking.)

And, all the o-ring does in increase the effective spring force on the end of the extractor, i.e., makes the extractor think it has a stronger spring under it.  The improved spring design does that as well as having a different buffer insert optimized for the M4 extraction cycle.  Remember the original spring was designed for a rifle length gas system.
View Quote
Maybe it is just me because I am following your words and conclusions and don't seem to need the chart.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:18:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 2:14:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yeah, this the second time you have asked this question.  To me, it sounds like you are gearing up to make some sort of statement.  Why don't you do that?
View Quote
No statement. Just curious if you are using this to compare against other weapons or if you are compiling something for training.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:42:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

No statement. Just curious if you are using this to compare against other weapons or if you are compiling something for training.
View Quote
Like you, I am curious.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:43:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Somebody needs to diagram a fault tree for the M16/M4 family of weapons.
View Quote
Can you guys do this?
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:59:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Can you guys do this?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can you guys do this?
The brain trust here?

Absolutely.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 2:16:18 PM EDT
[#32]
BLUF: it won't happen, there is no standardization of practices or equipment in this environment

the problems I would predict in introducing a simple flowchart for a malfunctioning weapon and/or cycles of operation interruption in this forum:

agreement over what is "standard", a "malfunction", and what is "basic"

I have a flowchart at work for this, but it is for issued weapons and I am sure that this information would be met with frustration and resistance (if not outright vitriol) over what is, and is not, included

best practices may include: learn basic system functions, learn modification(s) functions, understand basic system and modification(s) interactions
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:23:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
It would be very big . . .
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:31:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:47:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:48:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:57:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
BLUF: it won't happen, there is no standardization of practices or equipment in this environment

the problems I would predict in introducing a simple flowchart for a malfunctioning weapon and/or cycles of operation interruption in this forum:

agreement over what is "standard", a "malfunction", and what is "basic"

I have a flowchart at work for this, but it is for issued weapons and I am sure that this information would be met with frustration and resistance (if not outright vitriol) over what is, and is not, included

best practices may include: learn basic system functions, learn modification(s) functions, understand basic system and modification(s) interactions
View Quote
I would love to see this.  We could discuss your chart and realize it is an advancement over what we have now (which is nothing) so no frustration, resistance or vitriol.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:11:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I notice you are separating ammo from magazine.  Please elaborate on this if you would.
View Quote
Because I've had malfunctions using quality ammo with cheap Thermold and Tapco magazines.  I have also had malfunctions using questionable reloads with good USGI mags and Pmags.

Basically if you aren't using good ammo and mags then a malfunction could be traced back to the mags, ammo or both.  So I choose to separate them.

Good ammo + Good mag = G2G
Good ammo + Bad mag = Chance of Malfunction
Bad ammo + Good mag = Chance of Malfunction
Bad ammo + Bad mag = Very high chance of Malfunction
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 7:44:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Because I've had malfunctions using quality ammo with cheap Thermold and Tapco magazines.  I have also had malfunctions using questionable reloads with good USGI mags and Pmags.

Basically if you aren't using good ammo and mags then a malfunction could be traced back to the mags, ammo or both.  So I choose to separate them.

Good ammo + Good mag = G2G
Good ammo + Bad mag = Chance of Malfunction
Bad ammo + Good mag = Chance of Malfunction
Bad ammo + Bad mag = Very high chance of Malfunction
View Quote
That does make sense.  Nice little four option explanation.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:26:45 PM EDT
[#40]
OP that list is FUBAR

1, is shitty magazine
2 is shitty ammo
3 is under lubed
4 is shitty user maintenance

there are  no other reasons
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:52:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
OP that list is FUBAR

1, is shitty magazine
2 is shitty ammo
3 is under lubed

View Quote
That assumed that it worked properly at sometime prior to failing....

And, many would say the #3 is covered under #4
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:26:46 PM EDT
[#42]
6 a/ b have absolutely nothing to do with the rifle failing.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:31:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
6 a/ b have absolutely nothing to do with the rifle failing.
View Quote
Well, if you define "failing" as the rifle does not do one of the following: fire, extract, eject, feed/chamber, or lock, and I think most people define "failing" in that manner, then yes, (a) and (b) do contribute to the rifle "failing".
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:36:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
OP that list is FUBAR

1, is shitty magazine
2 is shitty ammo
3 is under lubed

View Quote
3 and 4, There is a philosophy which says you don't have to clean it as long as you keep lubing it.  Then you just keep shooting until the health inspector arrives and orders a cleaning.  Following this line of thought, 3 and 4 are distinct.

This abbreviated list is kinda cool though.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 10:10:42 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
link
View Quote
Great link Tig!!  Thanks for that info.  Everyone should have this knowledge in their brain pan.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 11:28:49 AM EDT
[#46]
I'e only had 2 and 9 happen to me.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 6:35:11 PM EDT
[#47]
@HenrySS
I don't have a way to post this massive chart, but I can get a lot of folks started down a path using some critical thought.
I'll use the U.S. Army FM for marksmanship to define a lot of these terms, just for sake of organizing some thoughts

First, a definition of terms:
Stoppage(s) - a stoppage is a failure to complete the cycle of operation
Malfunction(s) - a condition caused by a procedural or mechanical failure of the rifle, magazine, or ammunition

NOTE: a malfunction is a specific type of stoppage

There is absolutely no way to determine which stoppages or malfunctions occur the most, but:

Typical stoppages include, but are not limited to: failure to feed, failure to extract, and failure to eject
Stoppages are often caused by: failure to seat the magazine until locked, lack of lubrication on the bolt and carrier assembly, and fouling

Typical malfunctions include, but are not limited to: failure to fire, and failure to feed, chamber, or lock
Malfunctions are often caused by: damaged magazines, dirt or fouling in and around the bolt and carrier assembly, improperly-loaded magazines, weak, broken, or missing springs, fouled gas system,  broken bolt lugs, broken cam pin, case head separation

I have arranged the stoppages and malfunctions into what I have seen from most frequent to least frequent, but still frequent enough to be of note

If you want to know more about how the weapon fails, I can recommend FM 3-22.9 (with the included 2011 Change 1 document).  
Keep in mind, while it has some good information, it does require thought on the reader's part.

It does need some revisions, as there are some technical errors.  The errors are ignored by people that know better anyhow

Another thought-provoking book would be any M16-series rifle, M4-Series carbine 23&P maintenance manual, regardless of year

Quoted:
I would love to see this.  We could discuss your chart and realize it is an advancement over what we have now (which is nothing) so no frustration, resistance or vitriol.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 9:22:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Like you, I am curious.
View Quote
Sounds like OP is like you too which is why (s)he asked..........

as for the OP's question...........6 a/b isn't the AR-15's fault A is the fault of the optic and B is the "fault" of battery tech in general. So, those should be eliminated. Besides if you have BUIS or the original design of the platform it is a non-issue.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 10:41:49 PM EDT
[#49]
You can't attribute red dot failures to the rifle.  That's a separate system.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:18:37 PM EDT
[#50]
More specific reading here
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top