BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2016 10:23:01 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:14:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd kinda like to know more about what was causing it to mess up in full auto. If something failed or if after cleaning it ran fine. It would be really interesting to see what happened to the accuracy after all of that. I'd love to see the barrel cut in half as well to see how bad the gas port erosion was and how much of the rifling was completely gone.

That being said you do have to give the gun credit for doing a good job.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:26:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Impressive, gas tubes would have melted at 1/5 that round count
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:41:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd kinda like to know more about what was causing it to mess up in full auto. If something failed or if after cleaning it ran fine. It would be really interesting to see what happened to the accuracy after all of that. I'd love to see the barrel cut in half as well to see how bad the gas port erosion was and how much of the rifling was completely gone.

View Quote

Accuracy would be garbage.  Firing that many rounds on full auto smoothed out the bore on either end.  Only rifling remained in the middle.  I'm guessing what caused it is fouling in the piston, so the gun wasn't getting enough energy to the action.  POF's have adjustable gas regulators, though.  Add more gas and away she goes.  Also notice how the gun starts to function better once the magazine is partly empty.  Another clue of short stroking due to insufficient bolt energy.  The magazine spring pressing up against it is causing too much friction.  When the mag gets low the spring pressure lets up and the bolt can move freely.  Again, more gas needed.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 2:17:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

He said that he wasn't firmly locking the gun into his shoulder pocket and putting enough pressure on it.
It went into full auto and did complete mag dumps a few times  later in the video after firm up his bracing, but there were still a fair number of burst fires - rack - tap - burst fire - rack - etc.

I feel confident if he would have given the BCG a quick spritz of lube around the 1,000 rd. mark it would have continued to run on full-auto.

Three shells got stuck in the throat which I found surprising. One of POF's engineering touts is their E2 extraction assist technology (they basically use 4 small channels cut into the throat to allow some gas back pressure to leak around the upper neck of the expanded case and push back against the shoulder to unseat it and make it easier it for the extractor to pull it out.

Precision is toast. He showed that much of the rifling inside the barrel was work but still there, just forward of the throat and just behind the muzzle was gone. Smooth bore. While not a totally shot out barrel, precision would be out of the question.1-MOA - not any more. It's definitely a SAW at this point.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 12:53:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

You must not be familiar with his other videos.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 1:01:33 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote
errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 2:44:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Actually, the barrel was the point of failure in the DI gun.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 3:09:23 AM EDT
[#8]
I wonder how much port pressure drops when there is that much blow by?  The muzzle flash got WAAAAAY bigger as the test progressed.

Also, what's with the stuffed chicken?
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:17:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

He said that he wasn't firmly locking the gun into his shoulder pocket and putting enough pressure on it.
It went into full auto and did complete mag dumps a few times  later in the video after firm up his bracing, but there were still a fair number of burst fires - rack - tap - burst fire - rack - etc.

I feel confident if he would have given the BCG a quick spritz of lube around the 1,000 rd. mark it would have continued to run on full-auto.

Three shells got stuck in the throat which I found surprising. One of POF's engineering touts is their E2 extraction assist technology (they basically use 4 small channels cut into the throat to allow some gas back pressure to leak around the upper neck of the expanded case and push back against the shoulder to unseat it and make it easier it for the extractor to pull it out.

Precision is toast. He showed that much of the rifling inside the barrel was work but still there, just forward of the throat and just behind the muzzle was gone. Smooth bore. While not a totally shot out barrel, precision would be out of the question.1-MOA - not any more. It's definitely a SAW at this point.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But poof says its rifle don't need no lube to run.  Testing the rifle the way the maker says it is supposed to be run was the point of the video.

Mildly impressed it worked so well.

eta: spelling oopsy
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 11:52:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

But poof says its rifle don't need no lube to run.  Testing the rifle the way the maker says it is supposed to be run was the point of the video.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, but I'm sure when POF made that claim they meant under normal operating conditions.

Running 2,500 rounds consecutively in full-auto with no breaks and not even a quick rag wipe down - I don't think this was what they had in mind.
But, nonetheless, it continued to run in semi-auto.

I wished he would have taken a moment to take the temperature of the BCG after the test. Curious as to exactly how hot it got.

Also, I wonder how much it costs to get a full-rock and roll POF? I've seen a few of his vids on the web. Thought he was only civi. Didn't know he had his manufacturer's license.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:19:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You must not be familiar with testing from Colt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kzfm4pYhIyY&NR=1&feature=fvwp
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:20:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you use an ass backward profile like an A2 or M4 profile

There have been several tests where the gas tubes failed first
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:55:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Going to have to concur. In the limited number of sustained fire torture tests that I've seen with DI guns, the component that failed first was the gas tube.
Not that this was always the case (have seen other components blow first) but overwhelmingly it was the 'thin gauge aluminum tube with 20º kink in it that makes for a wonderful point of restriction' that failed.  

In some ways I'm surprised it wasn't made from a material like Iconel.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:27:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well this wasn't one of them.  Iraqveteran8888 did the AR15 meltdown first, and the barrel went kablooey before the gas tube or the gas block.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 8:37:44 PM EDT
[#15]
I kind of don't get the point of this kind of destruction testing. Why do it? These aren't water-cooled machine guns and The Battle of the Somme was concluded a long time ago.

I'm not trying to be deliberately obtuse here or to troll. I like Eric and Chad and miss Barry a great deal. I like the other segments the crew films. It just seems needlessly dangerous and destructive, and I don't find it particularly instructive - It's like asking, "Can my passenger car drive from Tierra Del Fuego to Nome, AK?" then, doing it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 8:49:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Dupe.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 9:19:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I kind of don't get the point of this kind of destruction testing. Why do it? These aren't water-cooled machine guns and The Battle of the Somme was concluded a long time ago.

I'm not trying to be deliberately obtuse here or to troll. I like Eric and Chad and miss Barry a great deal. I like the other segments the crew films. It just seems needlessly dangerous and destructive, and I don't find it particularly instructive - It's like asking, "Can my passenger car drive from Tierra Del Fuego to Nome, AK?" then, doing it.
View Quote

Youtube view count...
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 9:34:05 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's because it was the wrong barrel steel for sustained full auto fire not to mention a poor profile choice - at least if one of your goals is sustained fire.

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top