Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/5/2015 4:46:09 AM EDT
Built my first AR-15 went out shooting on Sunday and had a few failures to feed.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/683100_My_AR_15_first_Build_.html

While investigating the issue I have found I cannot turn the gas key at all, unable to remove it for service.

Stuck.

Anyone have some tips other then grabbing a set of channel locks?

Link Posted: 11/5/2015 9:19:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 2:59:20 PM EDT
[#2]
+1 on the "tap" drill. Happened to a friend. Gas plug would not go into the release setting. A couple of thwacks with a rubber mallet and it unbound whatever was bound up.

Of course if you're running a hand guard over the gas block you'll have to take a moment to get it out of the way.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 8:42:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I went shooting today, and after several failures to feed, I thought I would adjust the gas plug.   To my surprise, there was no gas plug to be found. It must've blown out on my first shot  we all had a good laugh and spent the last hour looking for it.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 1:06:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the XLP installed on mine and I noticed that after a session at the range, the selector is hard to turn to different positions. I can't move it by hand. I have to use a wrench to move the selector. I think there is a lot of carbon build up and it may need cleaning more frequently that what the instructions recommend.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 8:28:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Your Gas Block needs to be perfectly level.  Without the spring, Gas Plug installed - the Rod should be able to slide back and forth with gravity alone.  Loosen the front screw completely, and the port screw a little and you will feel the Gas Plug loosen.  Put oil on everything (just a wipe should do), inside the Rod Cup too.  Use M-Pro-7 oil (easy to find), I prefer Gunslick oil.  Lock down the port screw forcefully (this is the important one).  Tighten the front screw a little more than hand tight (or until Gas Plug slides easy, stop if it gets sticky).
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top