Posted: 3/19/2009 6:45:15 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 6:52:51 AM EDT
[#1]
What about the belt-feed parts?
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 6:56:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 8:34:19 PM EDT
[#3]
how beneficial would this be for a semi-auto?
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 7:43:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Tried to order one but it did not let me.

Got it to work. Thanks.

Do you get both barrels?
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 8:12:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 10:56:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Have the original shrike customers had their belt-fed units delivered?
When will belt fed conversion be available? Is this guaranteed?

I need solid, honest answers to those questions before ordering a 3000$ upper.
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 10:56:53 AM EDT
[#7]
double tap
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 1:12:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 3:05:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Denny,

Can I get on a list for the Belt Feed adaptor?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 4:38:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Can you get the Bi-pod??
If so how much
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 6:41:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Can you get the Bi-pod??
If so how much

Thats just a Vera-pod Raptor.

Looks cooler then it works.
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 7:44:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can you get the Bi-pod??
If so how much

Oh really?? They do look pretty cool. Whats wrong with them??
Link Posted: 3/21/2009 12:13:39 AM EDT
[#13]
ollllll yea
Link Posted: 3/21/2009 6:07:18 AM EDT
[#14]
1. Is the 16.25" barrel chrome lined ?
2. Do they come with a "Full Auto" carrier ?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/21/2009 8:49:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can you get the Bi-pod??
If so how much

Oh really?? They do look pretty cool. Whats wrong with them??

Lots of wobble, heavy, cheaply made. Get a Harris.
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 5:34:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 5:36:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 5:36:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 8:14:04 AM EDT
[#19]
The side charging handle looks like it would preclude the use of the LMT SOPMOD, Vltor, or Magul stock with improved cheek weld and battery compartments..  This came up years ago when we talked about the Shrike, well I hope to get my Shrike one day, seeing Ares may be moving the direction that may benefit the delivery of it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 3:26:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Can civilians purchase this too?
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 5:04:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 4:08:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Looking forward to it Denny
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 11:53:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Shipping today?
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 1:00:28 PM EDT
[#24]
TAG baby, TAG!!!!
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 3:18:11 PM EDT
[#25]

I guarantee my customers who order will have their AAR's shipped next week,

Can we get an update please?
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 5:57:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:06:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Cool......kind of wish I hadn't been so quick to buy the STG556. Oh well that's what overtime is for..
Link Posted: 4/1/2009 9:50:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/6/2009 10:08:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Denny,

I have another question and I didn't want to clog up your add in the EE with questions or get you or myself into trouble over BTT violations.

I realize that you don't work for Ares so you may not know the answer...  Is Ares going to continue to put out AAR uppers or was this a limited batch run?

Like others who may be interested, I'm only wanting this to use as a belt-fed upper and knowing Ares past is somewhat of a turn off.  I'd personally rather wait until the belt-fed conversions come out before I purchase, but if/when those come available, I want to ensure that these AARs will still be available.  Or of course, by that time the belt-fed Shrike may be available by itself...  I don't know what to do at this point.

Also...  How long have you been in NKC?  I grew up in Parkville but my grandfather and father owned Vesto TV which was located where the print shop is now (the 1900 block of Clay, right on the corner of Clay and 20th).  My grandparents lived in the apartment above Vesto.  I remember your shop used to be a sports equipment shop and I bought my first catchers mit from there.  That was probably around 1989 or so.

Take Care
Link Posted: 4/6/2009 4:21:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/6/2009 8:48:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Denny,

I have another question and I didn't want to clog up your add in the EE with questions or get you or myself into trouble over BTT violations.

I realize that you don't work for Ares so you may not know the answer...  Is Ares going to continue to put out AAR uppers or was this a limited batch run?

Both the AAR and AAR/C are major pieces of the Shrike 5.56 - Advanced Weapons System program and are intended for continuous production.

Also Posted By Magoo6541:
Like others who may be interested, I'm only wanting this to use as a belt-fed upper and knowing Ares past is somewhat of a turn off.  I'd personally rather wait until the belt-fed conversions come out before I purchase, but if/when those come available, I want to ensure that these AARs will still be available.  Or of course, by that time the belt-fed Shrike may be available by itself...  I don't know what to do at this point.

First, only you can assess your weapon needs; but if you're only interested in the belt-fed component of the program then you may be significantly limiting your options. As I mentioned already, both the AAR and AAR/C are major pieces, each by their own merits. Second, if you're turned off about Ares' "past" then I'm quite sure you may have received your "facts" from some anonymous mudslinging on the internet, because the real story is much more interesting and honorable. To understand the Shrike 5.56 - Advanced Weapons System program and where we're trying to take it, one should be familiar with a bit of small arms history beginning around World War II and leading right up into present-day military tactics and requirements. Time constraints prevent my narration of the history, but I do recommend strongly that anyone interested in this topic purchase a few significant books; Ed Ezell's "The Great Rifle Controversy" and "Small Arms of the World" 10th and 12th Editions. Also, the 5-volume set of "The Machine Gun" by Col. George Chinn. These specific books cover a lot of ground although there are many, many more must-read books that belong in every student's small arms reference library and which will help complete the understanding of modern small arms evolution. The Cadillac Gage - Stoner 63/63A Weapons System also played a big role in events, as do major pieces of legislation such as the 1934 National Firearms Act and the 1986 Firearm Owners Protection Act.

As for the part on the Shrike 5.56 - Advanced Weapons System, I'll provide some insight into our company's agenda and the benchmarks we've established with this increadibly modular design. The evolution of the Shrike 5.56 hasn't happened overnight and the story won't be told in one setting either. This is an ongoing program and many details will be necessarily left out due to competitive concerns and confidentiality agreements with customers and business associates. I'll attempt to attach our 2009 brochure to this post as a reference and visual aid. Also, please try to show patience. My day job comes first and I may go many days without contributing here depending on my real obligations. Denny, if at anytime you feel that your thread is being hijacked either by me or anyone else, then please let me know and we'll either cease the discussion or move it elsewhere. Finally, I'd like to thank the Avilla's and moderators for providing the ar15.com forums so that we can share our interests in a responsible and mature manner. The pictures may be small, but if you right click on each and save to your desktop, then you should be able to view in more detail. Have a good evening; I'll try to make it back in tomorrow night.

Link Posted: 4/7/2009 7:00:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Ares Defense:
Quoted:
Denny,

Both the AAR and AAR/C are major pieces of the Shrike 5.56 - Advanced Weapons System program and are intended for continuous production.

Also Posted By Magoo6541:

First, only you can assess your weapon needs; but if you're only interested in the belt-fed component of the program then you may be significantly limiting your options. As I mentioned already, both the AAR and AAR/C are major pieces, each by their own merits. Second, if you're turned off about Ares' "past" then I'm quite sure you may have received your "facts" from some anonymous mudslinging on the internet, because the real story is much more interesting and honorable. To understand the Shrike 5.56 - Advanced Weapons System program and where we're trying to take it, one should be familiar with a bit of small arms history beginning around World War II and leading right up into present-day military tactics and requirements. Time constraints prevent my narration of the history, but I do recommend strongly that anyone interested in this topic purchase a few significant books; Ed Ezell's "The Great Rifle Controversy" and "Small Arms of the World" 10th and 12th Editions. Also, the 5-volume set of "The Machine Gun" by Col. George Chinn. These specific books cover a lot of ground although there are many, many more must-read books that belong in every student's small arms reference library and which will help complete the understanding of modern small arms evolution. The Cadillac Gage - Stoner 63/63A Weapons System also played a big role in events, as do major pieces of legislation such as the 1934 National Firearms Act and the 1986 Firearm Owners Protection Act.

As for the part on the Shrike 5.56 - Advanced Weapons System, I'll provide some insight into our company's agenda and the benchmarks we've established with this increadibly modular design. The evolution of the Shrike 5.56 hasn't happened overnight and the story won't be told in one setting either. This is an ongoing program and many details will be necessarily left out due to competitive concerns and confidentiality agreements with customers and business associates. I'll attempt to attach our 2009 brochure to this post as a reference and visual aid. Also, please try to show patience. My day job comes first and I may go many days without contributing here depending on my real obligations. Denny, if at anytime you feel that your thread is being hijacked either by me or anyone else, then please let me know and we'll either cease the discussion or move it elsewhere. Finally, I'd like to thank the Avilla's and moderators for providing the ar15.com forums so that we can share our interests in a responsible and mature manner. The pictures may be small, but if you right click on each and save to your desktop, then you should be able to view in more detail. Have a good evening; I'll try to make it back in tomorrow night.

http://www.aresdefense.com/03a-brochure-f.jpg
http://www.aresdefense.com/03a-brochure-c.jpg
http://www.aresdefense.com/03a-brochure-b.jpg

Thank you for your response to the thread.

I didn't particuarly mean "knowing Ares past is a turn off" as directly toward your company.  It was meant more toward the production of the Shrike over the past couple years.  Having a product which is very high in demand and when the company is not being able to produce a significant number of a product, which only drives up the cost, is frustrating for the consumer.  I realize that the lack of production isn't necessarly just based on not being able to produce a product but things are being changed and tweaked along the way to manufacture the best product that you can produce.  Only good can come of that but again, it's frustrating.

To explain my position a little more...  I would think that most of the people who are truley interested in your product are machine gun owners.  Most of us already own several AR hosts in different configurations.  From my personal stand point, while the magazine fed AAR offers a leap forward in the AR design, I can't justify the price tag as I don't believe I would benifit from another magazine fed host for my machine gun.  However, when you add in the belt fed part of it, now I'm interested.  I'm interested to the point where it's driving me crazy because the product just isn't available at this time.  But I think we're beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel.  I just want to make sure that when we finally get to the end of the tunnel, everything will be available.  Whether it be the AAR and belt fed conversion, or a belt fed Shrike.  I just wanted to be sure that if I didn't purchase the AAR today, I wouldn't be shooting myself in the foot 6 months down the road when the belt fed conversions came out and the AAR wouldn't be available.

I hope that all makes sence.  Again, thank your for your response and thank you for your product.

Ryan
Link Posted: 4/13/2009 6:54:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Got my ARES upper in today....it sure it a fine piece of work.  Looking forward to my belt fed adapter.
Link Posted: 4/14/2009 12:41:02 PM EDT
[#34]
If you get yours before I get my Shrike for which I put in a deposit iin 2002 or 2003, I'd be very unhappy
Link Posted: 4/14/2009 6:31:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Looking forward to the belt feed unit

Link Posted: 4/15/2009 6:11:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Jeff, First off thanks for posting here I hope you will keep us up to date on everything Ares.

Now for a few questions.

How many depositors that sent in their $1000.00 dollar down payment(6 or 7 years ago) are still waiting for their Shrike?

Any updates on delivery?

Is this the same upper as a Shrike upper but without the belt feed?

If it is can I send you a part of my $1500.00 balance for one of these uppers and send the rest when the belt feed adapter is ready?

What's the best way to update my contact info with you?

Link Posted: 4/15/2009 6:26:42 AM EDT
[#37]
I have a silly question as well:

How solid is the top cover?
Does it return-to-zero well?
How durable is the lock-up going to be, long term?

I am concerned with the need for re-zeroing an Aimpoint if I remove the top cover.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 7:06:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Got my ARES upper in today....it sure it a fine piece of work.  Looking forward to my belt fed adapter.

JERK!!!!!!!!!!!
OK cool.

NoHair
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 8:37:31 AM EDT
[#39]
can i ask how long you had to wait for these??  i gave them my $$ over 5 years ago and still don't have mine.
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 9:34:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Interesting.

On a side note, this makes it apparent what parts of the Shrike are hard to get working- the ones not in the AAR.

So what is the MSRP on the AAR?

Link Posted: 4/25/2009 10:12:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Interesting.

On a side note, this makes it apparent what parts of the Shrike are hard to get working- the ones not in the AAR.

I'll offer another possible reason.

The BATFE doesn't like belt fed uppers.  M11 conversions ring any bells?

By releasing a steady flow of Mag feed only Shrikes Ares is establishing a product on the market that won't draw BATFE scrutiny or a dreaded "revision" of the BATFE's stance on the product.  This also allows Ares to establish a customer base for a future belt feed conversion.

By offering the upper and the belt feed tray as different products they are making the BATFE work extra hard and evaluate each instead of a complete "evil" belt feed upper.

I surmise that if the BATFE were to change it's mind on the legality of belt fed Shrikes, that it is easier for Aries to ask for the Belt Feed trays back and give a non-belt tray as replacement.
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 2:05:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Interesting.

On a side note, this makes it apparent what parts of the Shrike are hard to get working making- the ones not in the AAR.

Link Posted: 4/25/2009 9:44:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting.

On a side note, this makes it apparent what parts of the Shrike are hard to get working making- the ones not in the AAR.

It's just a passing rumor I heard but take it for what it's worth.

Original Shrikes may have used M249 SAW components in the feed tray assembly, those parts became hard to source and Shrike production was effected.

The M249 SAW parts are still unavailable in any quantity at a fair price, so Ares has to make them themselves.

The only thing I don't really like is it looks like a lot of people who have been waiting in line since 2001 and even earlier for a Shrike may be getting passed buy people who buy the AAR and later the belt feed tray.

I do like the option presented but a guy waiting.  Allow them to put the deposit on an AAR and they pay the difference and get the feed tray when it comes out.
Link Posted: 4/27/2009 12:12:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Hey I really like the looks of the AAR/C model with the side folding stock. I guess is the recoil spring in the upper similar to the ZM Weapon upper? Can it work on an unmodified RR M-16 lower? I know the ZM Weapon kit had to modify the lower in order to work for full-auto which i didn't like.
Link Posted: 4/27/2009 12:43:13 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Hey I really like the looks of the AAR/C model with the side folding stock. I guess is the recoil spring in the upper similar to the ZM Weapon upper? Can it work on an unmodified RR M-16 lower? I know the ZM Weapon kit had to modify the lower in order to work for full-auto which i didn't like.

Different operation then ZM, (IE the gas system and op rod assembly are on the left side not the top) but end result is the same.

Any lower will work.  F/A, S/A, RR, LL, DIAS without any modification to the lower.
Link Posted: 5/17/2009 10:02:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/18/2009 7:41:06 AM EDT
[#47]
Is there any news on the belt fed parts yet?
Link Posted: 5/18/2009 7:50:12 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Is there any news on the belt fed parts yet?

Would you trust anything Ares said at this point?

Seriously?
Link Posted: 5/18/2009 8:24:04 AM EDT
[#49]
Any lower will work.  F/A, S/A, RR, LL, DIAS without any modification to the lower

Not true.
Link Posted: 5/18/2009 8:25:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Why can't I add a bipod to my non railed AAR upper like this picture shows?

There is no picatinny rail there??

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top