Looks Good!
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:02:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice!

how did you get Boba Fett to model?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:27:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Congratulations Victor!

Guys-  I have personally handled the MURLM prototype and am convinced that it is one of the most innovative concepts I have seen in a long time!

I never liked the idea of mounting a mini red dot on top of an ACOG.  It just seemed too high.  But the MURLM solves that problem.  The angle is perfect!  You can transition so smoothly between the two optics that it is almost as if they were in line with each other.  Canting the weapon is so minimal that you almost don't feel like you are canting it at all and it's even possible to just shift your head slightly to pick up the dot.  

I really believe that this mount is going to revolutionize the way shooters run ACOGS.

BTW:  The "Stormtrooper" in the first pic is sporting the US Army's new M53 Respirator.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:36:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:05:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:26:46 AM EDT
[#9]
looks good. got pics of the mount by itself ?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:06:51 PM EDT
[#10]
tell him to close his dust cover........
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 2:03:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:38:31 PM EDT
[#12]
The light mount is another aspect that I really like about this mount!  While I can't talk about the mechanics of the system, I will say that it is very intuitive and very practical.  The ability to quickly and easily remove the light from the mount provides a lot of options to the shooter, the most obvious of which being a scenario where a tertiary light is needed for a situation that he/she cannot or should not point a weapon.

The other thing that I was very surprised with was how easily the light could be removed and reattached.  The mounting system is very quick and easy to manipulate.  I even got a chance to try it with gloves and was very surprised at how easy it was with the limited dexterity.

There's going to be some more refinements to the MURLM before it is released and from what Vic tells me, they will further enhance this unit's functionality!

To say I am stoked would be an understatement.  
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 8:22:10 PM EDT
[#13]
This looks like another excellent innovation from TNVC; I can't wait to try one out.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 3:42:14 AM EDT
[#14]
answered my question elsewhere.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 3:46:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Hello

Could you post what the weight is on this mount?  Thanks
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 5:33:03 AM EDT
[#16]
How do you transition to the RDS when shooting support side only?
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 7:50:04 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
How do you transition to the RDS when shooting support side only?

The mount is ambidextrous, so you can mount it on either side without compromising functionality.  If you have it on the weapon's right side and you have to transition to your left shoulder, you are still good to go.  All you have to do is shift your eyes very slightly to pick up the dot.  You don't even have to cant to the rifle.  Since you run an RDS with both eyes open anyway, I actually found that I simply had to shift my focus while shouldering the weapon on my support side.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 8:00:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Any problems acquiring the dot when shooting urban or SBU prone?
Link Posted: 6/8/2008 5:21:14 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Just like any other new piece of kit, you will have to train with it a lot before betting your life on it.  I didn't have any problems with it in these positions.  Trust me, the first thing I did when I handled the MURLM was to run it through as many shooting positions as I could.  I could pick up the dot no problem.

The other thing to be aware of is what you are wearing to the big event.  If you are in good shape (no belly) and not wearing any gear, you will have a lot more freedom of movement to acquire these positions.  However, if you are wearing a chest rig with 6 mags, or worse yet: full armor, then you will have to adapt your technique.

I had the chance to try the MURLM with a respirator.  While wearing a respirator sux in the first place, it is worse when trying o shoulder a weapon.  I had to adjust the cant of the weapon more to pick up the dot while wearing this kit.  But, this is just an example of adapting your training to implement evolving requirements and threats.  

Some of my buddies have been questioning me a lot about this product since they knew I had a chance to handle it.  One of the main concerns is that it looks like it sticks out farther from the rails.  Believe me:  It is actually pretty compact for what it is.  The part that sticks out the furthest is the light mount and it, actually, doesn't stick out further than any other offset light mount.  The T-1 is actually closer to the center line of the weapon than the other offset mounts on the market.
Link Posted: 6/8/2008 5:36:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Would have come in handy when we were doing these drills, using decidedly non-square-range shooting positions.  I was using a TA31F ACOG that  day, not a particularly effective optic for CQB to begin with

Link Posted: 6/8/2008 5:39:56 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just like any other new piece of kit, you will have to train with it a lot before betting your life on it.  I didn't have any problems with it in these positions.  Trust me, the first thing I did when I handled the MURLM was to run it through as many shooting positions as I could.  I could pick up the dot no problem.

The other thing to be aware of is what you are wearing to the big event.  If you are in good shape (no belly) and not wearing any gear, you will have a lot more freedom of movement to acquire these positions.  However, if you are wearing a chest rig with 6 mags, or worse yet: full armor, then you will have to adapt your technique.

I had the chance to try the MURLM with a respirator.  While wearing a respirator sux in the first place, it is worse when trying o shoulder a weapon.  I had to adjust the cant of the weapon more to pick up the dot while wearing this kit.  But, this is just an example of adapting your training to implement evolving requirements and threats.  

Some of my buddies have been questioning me a lot about this product since they knew I had a chance to handle it.  One of the main concerns is that it looks like it sticks out farther from the rails.  Believe me:  It is actually pretty compact for what it is.  The part that sticks out the furthest is the light mount and it, actually, doesn't stick out further than any other offset light mount.  The T-1 is actually closer to the center line of the weapon than the other offset mounts on the market.

Very cool... Thanks for the info.

I've been thinking about replacing one of my Short Dots with a T-1/Mini ACOG TA33R-8 combination to bring the weight of my carbine down. I also like the instant switchover between RDS and magnified optic, as well as the ability to get a usable sight picture on the RDS irrespective of eye relief/shooting position (not always so easy with the Short Dot).
Link Posted: 6/8/2008 5:59:42 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm going to step out here and be a tad bit different and proclaim this as a specialty piece of gear that I would not need or use.

Yes, I know how it all works together with an ACOG, but really.. I don't run an ACOG as a RED dot by itself does most of what an ACOG can do and  I have yet to find a situation where I need both. Now the guy in the poster with a respirator....he can use this piece of gear.. Or 3 gunner who wants to use Optics for the long shot and the close in stuff as wlll.

But for the great majority of users, this is just something that very few of us are ever going to need or use...

Just sayin...
Link Posted: 6/8/2008 9:50:16 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I'm going to step out here and be a tad bit different and proclaim this as a specialty piece of gear that I would not need or use.

Yes, I know how it all works together with an ACOG, but really.. I don't run an ACOG as a RED dot by itself does most of what an ACOG can do and  I have yet to find a situation where I need both. Now the guy in the poster with a respirator....he can use this piece of gear.. Or 3 gunner who wants to use Optics for the long shot and the close in stuff as wlll.

But for the great majority of users, this is just something that very few of us are ever going to need or use...

Just sayin...

I agree.  This is a great piece of kit that solves a major problem: transitioning to CQB distances when running a magnified optic.  However, this is a problem that affects only those that are running a magnified optic like the ACOG.  I would venture to say that this mount would even be helpful to those running variable power optics.  When you are in a drama outside that, all of the sudden, moves indoors, and you are still engaging threats, you do not have the time to stop and set your optic to 1.5X and re-focus.  You have to make this transition instantly.  

A lot of people run magnified optics and use an RDS backup.  Just look at how many J-Point piggy-back ACOGs are being fielded.  And that is a poor solution IMO.  This mount sets a new paradigm in mini RDS setups.

But, you are correct in saying that this mount will not do much for those running 1X RDS's only.
Link Posted: 6/8/2008 10:11:21 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just sayin...

I agree.  This is a great piece of kit that solves a major problem: transitioning to CQB distances when running a magnified optic.  However, this is a problem that affects only those that are running a magnified optic like the ACOG.  I would venture to say that this mount would even be helpful to those running variable power optics.  When you are in a drama outside that, all of the sudden, moves indoors, and you are still engaging threats, you do not have the time to stop and set your optic to 1.5X and re-focus.  You have to make this transition instantly.  

A lot of people run magnified optics and use an RDS backup.  Just look at how many J-Point piggy-back ACOGs are being fielded.  And that is a poor solution IMO.  This mount sets a new paradigm in mini RDS setups.

But, you are correct in saying that this mount will not do much for those running 1X RDS's only.

I think what Harv is saying is that an RDS can do most of what an ACOG can do, so running both on the same rifle makes little sense for most people.

I agree that from 0-200 yards or so, an RDS will allow pretty fast COM hits, especially with lots of training and practice. However, I do like to take my 6.8 out to 500 or so, at which point an RDS just isn't cutting it. I've been running a couple of Short Dots to allow fast shots close in and some precision capability farther out, but these scopes run into the same parallax and eye relief issues that any magnified optic presents the shooter.

If there is a solution that allows an RDS to be used up close with little or no head movement and no loss of speed, along with the capability of shooting support side or in odd positions -- while at the same time allowing for a magnified optic to get out to 500 yards, with no weight penalty or even a net weight loss vs a Short Dot -- I'm all for it. I have a DD offset rail mount coming for my T-1, so I'll see if that works out; if not, I may be in line for one of these units (although I use a light on the LH side due to my VFG hold).
Link Posted: 6/9/2008 4:16:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Without trying to steal the thunder away from this mount, I just wanted to add that I really like the idea of having both magnified optics and a red dot. It's a killer combo when setup right (no pun intended). I did a very similar mounting solution that Victor set me up with that also works great for me.

http://www.fullvolumesound.com/stuff/Guns/Resized/T-1.JPG

http://www.fullvolumesound.com/stuff/Guns/Resized/T-1%202.JPG

http://www.fullvolumesound.com/stuff/Guns/Resized/T-1%203.JPG

I'd highly reccomend trying out a mount like these if you are running a scope on your rig.
Link Posted: 6/10/2008 11:08:03 AM EDT
[#26]
I apologize profusely if  glossed over this while reading the specs about the mount but when is the expected release date?  Hell, what about a broad timeframe so no one gets bent out of shape if its not delivered on the exact date.

First person to say, sometime in the future gets a smack.
Link Posted: 6/10/2008 5:22:38 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I apologize profusely if  glossed over this while reading the specs about the mount but when is the expected release date?  Hell, what about a broad timeframe so no one gets bent out of shape if its not delivered on the exact date.

First person to say, sometime in the future gets a smack.

It's coming out later this summer.  I'll let Vic jump in with the dates as I am not at liberty to say.  But, it is in the refinement stages as we speak.  I will say that the changes being made are awesome and greatly increase the functionality and practicality of the MURLM.
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 8:10:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/20/2008 7:40:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/20/2008 7:47:07 AM EDT
[#30]
I am looking foward to trying one out!
Link Posted: 6/22/2008 7:17:07 AM EDT
[#31]
You guys are going to be even more stoked to try it after seeing the refinements that have been made.  When I say this thing is going to be awesome - I'm not kidding.  

The final prototype is on its way and has had a lot of input by some nameless guys that do bad things to bad people.  You guys are going to love it.  I spoke to Vic the other day and the MURLM is on track for a late summer release.
Link Posted: 6/26/2008 4:21:56 PM EDT
[#32]
I'll keep my post simple and to the point....just like the MURLM.

Many times we see products that answer questions nobody asks.  Not the MURLM.  It is an innovative design that will meet the needs of many shooters.

Couple this with the already high level of service and quality at Tactical Night Vision and you get an outstanding piece of gear.  

Lets not forget that what we see is the Beta version and its only going to get better and better from here.

Lastly, I have spents zillions with TacNight.  Every penny was worth it and I was happy to spend my cash on Vic's products.  How many dealers can you say that about?

Hats off to you Victor!  You hit a home run my friend!!!

-Freddy
Link Posted: 6/26/2008 4:23:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Would have come in handy when we were doing these drills, using decidedly non-square-range shooting positions.  I was using a TA31F ACOG that  day, not a particularly effective optic for CQB to begin with

i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/Picture016.jpg

Supine...in the mud....with a rifle!!!

It doesn't get much better than that!!!

Train like you fight....fight like you train.
Link Posted: 6/26/2008 6:06:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Hehe I was taking pictures so wasn't rolling in the mud as much like the rest of them poor suckers

It was wet, cold, miserable, and oh so memorable

Here's our own SMGLee
Link Posted: 7/2/2008 2:01:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/2/2008 2:48:54 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

MURLM (Multi-Use Rail & Light Mount)

Hello all,

As most know TNVC has continued to support the shooting community with innovative products such as the SAR (Scope Accessory Ring Rail)  that was released 2 years ago that has enabled a great many folks the luxury of mounting a mini red dot (MRD) or any other accessory to a scope or shotgun tube in a multitude of positions where rail space on a gun may be limited.  We are very proud to present our next product entry, which is called the MURLM (Multi-Use Rail & Light Mount).  

Two weeks ago TNVC attended SOF week in Tampa Florida and were represented at the NDIA Show in Texas from Aimpoint Inc. where the MURLM was shown for the first time. The units were very well received and we also received some very valuable feedback from some incredible folks!

A bit of history about the MURLM,

In 2007, suggestions and requests from the shooting community asked TNVC to continue work on mini red dot (MRD) back-up mounting solutions for magnified optics, specifically for ACOG systems and dedicated NV platforms. With this in mind, we set out on these objectives.

1. To eliminate the “chin welds” of MRD’s mounted high at the 12 o’clock positions and enable the shooter to maintain a low profile.
2. To offset an MRD at an optimum angle that would only require a very small rifle cant or “look-over” while maintaining the same cheek weld and could also be used while employing a gas mask. (Specifically the M53).
3. Combine this mounting solution with a lightweight flashlight to avoid separate mounts on a weapon.
4. The flashlight portion of the mount needed to be offset for VG wrap-around activation and also incorporate a very fast and strong QD system that a user could hand hold light weight lights (i.e. G2’s) and/or attach and remove a light from the weapon in very short order.  
5. The ring system of the light needed to be low profile to transition to a hand hold fighting light if needed that was easily removed from the weapon.

The first concept approach in 2007 was mounting TNVC’s SAR 1 to a flashlight body, which an MRD sight was then offset on the light itself.  We had several shooters prove the initial concept with great success, thus the MURLM was born!

Presently the MURLM depicted in the pics below is in the 2nd prototype phase.  Very soon, aluminum (much streamlined) shoot models will be completed where testing will continue for final production. Of course some changes will occur with the unit, but the overall system is working extremely well to say the least.  Some highlights of the MURLM include,

1. A 3 positional offset angle rail system (approx. ½” total travel) that allows users with different stocks, cheek welds or MRD’s to position a red dot sighting system with minimal amount of movement to one’s head or weapon to view the dot.  
2. Hex screw hard mounting solution of the MURLM body to picatinny rail systems, which includes a recoil lug for maintaining zero of any optic mounted.  
3. 1” variable sized low profile light ring with a proprietary quick detach system.
4. Lightweight metal construction hard anodized. Durability critical!

All testing with the MURLM will continue to include the use of Aimpoint’s Micro T1, which is the primary optic of choice for the MURLM due to the unit’s absolute durability critical standardization.  Aimpoint has set the standard with this MRD for incredible durability, small size, battery life (5 years power on), and NV use.  We can think of no better MRD optic to reach our mission requirements.  

Upon initial release, TNVC will be offering combo packages of the Micro T1 and high lumen lights with substantial discounts when purchased as a combo.  No final prices are set as yet, but will be forthcoming.

After initial release, we will be offering several more options to the MURLM, these will include,
1. A dual sided rail for users with existing throw lever light systems that will enable this gear to attach into the MURLM so these users can enjoy the very fast attachment feature.
2. A new stand-alone offset light mount with the same QD features of the MURLM.
3. A line up of other quick-detach component mechanisms for helmets and other gear.

As always, TNVC is happy to showcase its products here on the ARFCOM and we’re very happy with the success of the MURLM thus far.  We will be showing additional pics here in the new products section so please check back from time to time. Also, if you’re interested in being some of the first folks to own a MURLM, please email us as we’re starting a pre-order call list. We will keep you all updated on the progress of this unit which we sincerely hope will assist the shooting community. We are very excited about the MURLM.  Thanks all!

Vic

img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/Clutch99/MURLM/ARPictureThreadA.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/Clutch99/MURLM/ARPictureThreadB.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/Clutch99/MURLM/ARPictureThreadC.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/Clutch99/MURLM/ARPictureThreadD.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/Clutch99/MURLM/ARPictureThreadE.jpg

Sorry but in my opinion this makes the gun way too wide. Too much stuff is hanging off the side where it can get knocked off. Not to mention it could never hope to fit in my patrol rifle case or gun rack.
Pat
Link Posted: 7/2/2008 3:35:38 PM EDT
[#37]
I was recently told by the OP this is a prototype model so my judgment may be too quick. I don't like what I see in the pic but perhaps the final version will be much more slim lined.
Pat
Link Posted: 7/2/2008 4:05:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Does an M4 or SPR with a 3 o'clock mounted PEQ-2A and 9 o'clock mounted flash light fit a gun rack?  Usability with a carrying case or gun rack haven't been the primary, periphery, or any design goals for accessories and firearms, as far as I know

I don't worry about gun rack, safe space, gun cases.  I'll find ways to address these minor issues, that's easy and inexpensive enough.

Not that it matters, the prototype is just that, it may not bear much resemblance to the production model.
Link Posted: 7/2/2008 6:35:31 PM EDT
[#39]
I agree with Duffy.

I have seen the actual final model and let me assure you all that it is MUCH slimmer than the prototype shown.  The prototype only tests the placement of the T1 and, in no way, resembles the final design.  

Believe me, the final model does not stick out any further than a regular side-mounted light.  In fact, it actually seems to tuck in closer to the rail than the average light mount.  

As for fitting the weapon in a patrol car mount, I have yet to see a mount that accepts any sort of side-mounted device (lights, lasers, etc.).  As for fitting it in a rifle case, that will not be a problem once you see the final product.  

Link Posted: 7/2/2008 6:43:40 PM EDT
[#40]
I seem to split use of an 11F and a T-1, both on LT mounts, on the most happy carbine depending on the anticipated target range; having both at the same time seems pretty damn appealing to me, albeit heavy and expensive.
Link Posted: 7/2/2008 6:54:17 PM EDT
[#41]
You have a happy carbine?  What does it do, smile a lot?
Link Posted: 7/2/2008 8:26:16 PM EDT
[#42]
tag...

any idea on final cost?
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 4:38:11 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
tag...

any idea on final cost?

You will find out in a few weeks.
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 6:35:06 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
You have a happy carbine?  What does it do, smile a lot?

I said "most happy"...you know, the kind that runs flawlessly on everything from steel-cased Wolf to XM193 to 75 gr. TAP or BH 77 SMK's, even though it has not been thoroughly cleaned for several months and dozens of sessions, although lubed prior to each.  The kind of carbine that you will grab first if things ever go to hell, or the one that you run during NV-aided drills in the pitch black of the new moon with overcast sky.

To me, a happy carbine is one that is extremely reliable, and that one can depend on through significant use of same during hard conditions.....kinda like the Toyo-Heep that I built from scratch.    Yeah, I sometimes think the carbine is smiling back at me too.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 7:11:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Why don't ya clean yer carbine?  I clean mine after each trip.

I think Vic's MURLM will spur Micro T1 sales, I know i'm going to buy another T1 to use it on my MURLM, when it's released  It can support a Docter or JPoint sight, but I can't imagine mounting one of these fragile things on it, unless it has a wing mount.  Even then I'd sooner pony up for another T1 for its battery life.
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 7:58:19 AM EDT
[#46]
When I clean a weapon, I clean it very thoroughly, and that takes some significant time and effort; the reason I don't do it every session for this particular weapon is that it quite simply doesn't need it to run reliably.  I do apply a bit of Gunbutter to the action before every planned use though.  This methodology has been working quite well for me, YMMV.  My MRP and bolt guns get a bit more TLC than the beat-it-up rig.  My Glocks see several hundred rounds or more before I do anything to them.

I agree that the T-1 is a wonderful device, and I actually bought two for my initial purchase; the MURLM seems to be a great compliment to it and the ACOG.  One of these days, our friend Vic will put them in both of our hands.
Link Posted: 7/8/2008 11:47:57 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/8/2008 11:52:44 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 9:41:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 5:38:27 AM EDT
[#50]
HOLY SHIT!

That about sums up my impressions of the MURLM shoot model.  I am currently in possession of a T&E  "shoot model" of the MURLM and am completely blown away.  You guys are going to love this thing.

I have had the pleasure to be involved in the evaluation of the MURLM since the first prototype shown in the pics above.  The concept was evident in the mock-up shown in the pics, but it needed a lot of refinement in the form before it was ready to start sending hadjis to their 72 virgins.  Let me tell you; Vic hit this thing out of the park!

The actual shoot model is everything it needs to be and more.  It is tucked in very close to the bore (no more dog leg hanging out in the wind) and keeps the T1 in the exact same location.  The entire unit sits in closer to the rail than a Surefire M9XXX.

In fact, Kyle Lamb, former Delta, veteran of Mogadishu, and author of "Green Eyes & Black Rifles" (an awesome technical reference for anyone who shoots AR's) has one in his possession and is very happy with what he sees.  Some other special folk have one as well and are giving the same response.

Anyway, pics will be up this weekend and you guys aren't going to believe your eyes.  I truly believe the MURLM is going to revolutionize the way magnified optics, ACOGs in particular, are deployed.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top