Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 85
Posted: 12/16/2021 5:41:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PalmettoStateArmory]
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 5:11:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: drfroglegs] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I love you, no homo.

Been trying to get a non-blem A1 upper for months. Finally got me and my brother one!

We got the lowers months ago and have been struggling to time it right. Finally got them!

Now to figure out where I can buy the correct barrel, triangle handguard, tear drop forward assist, sights, etc.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 5:39:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By drfroglegs:

I love you, no homo.

Been trying to get a non-blem A1 upper for months. Finally got me and my brother one!

We got the lowers months ago and have been struggling to time it right. Finally got them!

Now to figure out where I can buy the correct barrel, triangle handguard, tear drop forward assist, sights, etc.
View Quote

Here ya go.
https://palmettostatearmory.com/harrington-richardson-retro-m16a1-style-upper-assmbly-gray-1-12.html
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 5:53:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Well I'll be damn.

I got so excited to see the stripped upper in stock I didn't even look for the complete.

I would rather spread out the cost anyways though. Expenses are tight right now.

Thanks though!
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 7:18:29 PM EDT
[#4]

I love you, no homo.

View Quote

Check JSE and brownells for the sights and FA. The handguards come down to if you want new or surplus and man I have looked for a 20 inch pencil barrel for a while now and all I find is 'lightweight' barrels. Idk where all the pencil barrels are but they elude me.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 10:59:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Razgriz56342:  Check JSE and brownells for the sights and FA. The handguards come down to if you want new or surplus and man I have looked for a 20 inch pencil barrel for a while now and all I find is 'lightweight' barrels. Idk where all the pencil barrels are but they elude me.
View Quote

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Lightweight-Parts-List-with-WEIGHTS-AR-15-/118-638524/
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 12:20:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Anybody know if H&R has plans to do black 601,602 lowers?
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 2:42:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mlin] [#7]
Just received my newly made batch of grey M16A1 complete upper. Overall very good quality, but 2 let down:

1. A1 reproduction port door is shinny black oxidize, not phosphate (Parkerizing). Looks like H&R source this from the same place (Taiwan) that T91 Tactical getting theirs. I will replace this with a Brownells one I keep for other build. I will Parkerize the H&R one later for future use.
2. The port door hinge spring is black finished, not the period correct silver color. Easy to fix by myself, but it is very disappointed for a product sell as period correct reproduction.

It is not bashing, try to share my observation and, hopefully, H&R can take note and improve on.

Link Posted: 11/15/2023 4:48:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mike_nds] [#8]
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 5:04:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 5:40:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By mike_nds:

No black 601's, and no 602 lowers at all.
View Quote
What is the difference in a 601 and 602 lower?  I probably knew at one point, but I have forgotten.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 6:15:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Is there any source for silver port door springs other than Spec. Arm.?
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 6:19:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: grondike] [#12]
Originally Posted By --FLEET--:
View Quote
Someone in this thread or Mike's OFFICIAL H&R Retro thread  in the PSA forum mentioned that they used naval jelly and turned some black springs silver.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 7:19:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 777] [#13]
Originally Posted By mlin:
Just received my newly made batch of grey M16A1 complete upper. Overall very good quality, but 2 let down:

1. A1 reproduction port door is shinny black oxidize, not phosphate (Parkerizing). Looks like H&R source this from the same place (Taiwan) that T91 Tactical getting theirs. I will replace this with a Brownells one I keep for other build. I will Parkerize the H&R one later for future use.
2. The port door hinge spring is black finished, not the period correct silver color. Easy to fix by myself, but it is very disappointed for a product sell as period correct reproduction.

View Quote

I just got my upper too & overall I am pleased.
However I agree with what you said.   I'd add that the rear sight and adjustment wheel, the selector & bolt release all would be more desirable if they were to be gray too.

It's probably a cost saving measure, which I get.    Still, I like what I see, having just gotten it yesterday.

Link Posted: 11/15/2023 8:50:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By --FLEET--:
View Quote

I bought some from ar15sport.com
https://ar15sport.com/product/ar15-m16-m4-port-door-spring-arpart-87/
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 10:37:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mtbrass] [#15]
Originally Posted By EagleArmsHBAR:
What is the difference in a 601 and 602 lower?  I probably knew at one point, but I have forgotten.
View Quote

Nothing but the marking, I just wanted to build one of each.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 11:31:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By mtbrass:

View Quote

There are subtle differences with the smalls parts as well - different shaped bolt catch paddle, buffer tubes have holes, not flats, I think the mag release button has a different face pattern/profile, but I'm often wrong.  Just the super nerd stuff we all geek out over.

I remember I recently saw an original 601 bolt catch for around $75 somewhere.  Mind boggling how people were literally throwing this stuff away at a point when these old guns came through armories and got "modernized".
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 12:50:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By jimmyspinn:

There are subtle differences with the smalls parts as well - different shaped bolt catch paddle, buffer tubes have holes, not flats, I think the mag release button has a different face pattern/profile, but I'm often wrong.  Just the super nerd stuff we all geek out over.

I remember I recently saw an original 601 bolt catch for around $75 somewhere.  Mind boggling how people were literally throwing this stuff away at a point when these old guns came through armories and got "modernized".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jimmyspinn:
Originally Posted By mtbrass:

$75 is actually a really good price these days, current price is nearly double at about $130.00 +/-.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 4:28:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 4:53:37 PM EDT
[#19]
That is the correct front pin for a 601 lower
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 11:19:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: x248716x] [#20]
this jihadi twat did't get the memo about gray carry handle doesn't match his black lower, definitely a noob faux pas.  horrors!  but he's got that 3rd pin.  face blurred to not offend those easily offended.

weird FSB gas block.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 12:44:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By x248716x:
this jihadi twat did't get the memo about gray carry handle doesn't match his black lower, definitely a noob faux pas.  horrors!  but he's got that 3rd pin.  face blurred to not offend those easily offended.

https://i.imgur.com/mXwdbaE.jpg
weird FSB gas block.

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

Maybe a Chinese or Iranian gas block?
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 11:00:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By mlin:

I bought some from ar15sport.com
https://ar15sport.com/product/ar15-m16-m4-port-door-spring-arpart-87/
View Quote

Forgot to check there. Order placed. Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 10:41:50 AM EDT
[#23]
so those PSA M16Ks huh?
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 8:36:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stevearado] [#24]
Originally Posted By BigmacVsog:
Can the 601s take these?

https://www.brownells.com/gun-parts/rifle-parts/rifle-receivers-parts/m16-model-601-lower-receiver-pivot-pin/

or what other front pins?
View Quote

Yes

I got one of those pins in my 601 lower.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 3:29:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Finally ordered a 635 upper for my old school PSA/QC10 Colt pattern SBR lower.  @mike_nds - is the carrier to upper tolerance meant to be so tight that it doesn't slide freely (even drenched in oil on delivery)?  Even the charging handle takes force to take in and out.  The finish on the carrier is already wearing off and it just arrived 12min ago lol.

Also, assume the sights are assembled only and not set to a fixed position?  My rear is hard left.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 3:40:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: seand1111] [#26]
Originally Posted By PGT_0673:
Finally ordered a 635 upper for my old school PSA/QC10 Colt pattern SBR lower.  @mike_nds - is the carrier to upper tolerance meant to be so tight that it doesn't slide freely (even drenched in oil on delivery)?  Even the charging handle takes force to take in and out.  The finish on the carrier is already wearing off and it just arrived 12min ago lol.

Also, assume the sights are assembled only and not set to a fixed position?  My rear is hard left.
View Quote

I am awaiting a H&R "true" 9mm upper (so take this as you will), but I can say this about the H&R slick side (5.56 used for a 9mm build) I have now and the old school Spikes 9mm upper I have.... Each upper/carrier combination required me to lap the upper and carrier to make them slide smoothly and function properly.

I imagine the new H&R upper I am getting today will be the same way.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 3:55:10 PM EDT
[#27]
That would be very disappointing but seems to track with how this was received.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 4:09:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: seand1111] [#28]
That would be very disappointing but seems to track with how this was received.
View Quote

So my stripped upper just arrived and I can confirm that it too will require lapping.  All of mine, both H&R's and the Spikes, were a bit narrow/pinched around the port door.  I have read about this and it makes sense as to why.

my suggestion, just get some diamond compound lapping paste from amazon (I have the 500/800/1200 grit combo) and put some on the bolt rails and run it back and forth till it slides on its own.  Then clean it really well.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 4:41:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 5:23:55 PM EDT
[#30]
None of our 9mm bolts have had pinching issues in the dedicated 9mm upper halves and carbines we have sent out.

What bolt are you using?
View Quote

For me, I run Faxon Gen 2 9mm bolts and the RTB 9mm bolt. They are both the same style bolt, and both styles had to be lapped to the receivers. My spare Faxon hits a “pinch” on the H&R stripped upper I just received.  It’s right at the mid point near the start of the port opening.

RTB Bolt

Faxon Bolt
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 5:33:45 PM EDT
[#31]
None of our 9mm bolts have had pinching issues in the dedicated 9mm upper halves and carbines we have sent out.

What bolt are you using?
View Quote

complete H&R upper so H&R bolt
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 8:17:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 7:05:09 PM EDT
[#33]
I’d like to get that upper back to see for myself.

PM me your order number and we’ll get a return shipping label set.
View Quote

sent
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 8:03:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Not sure if this has been covered in any way but I just put together an A2 clone and A1 clone with H&R uppers, lowers etc. I have a habit of cleaning rifles out before taking them to the range as I have seen the results of when people neglect that. Anyways, both my BCGs had the crane O-Rings, I’ve taken them out as I’ve had mixed luck with my A4 build (BCM) that had the o-ring installed. The extraction tension seemed extremely excessive and that rifle ran great without it. I was curious on other people’s experiences especially with H&Rs stuff since I am assuming H&R uses good port sizes.

PS- I love the retro craze is going strong, thank you H&R!
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 9:12:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Mike, please consider a model 605 but in 9mm.....just an idea.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 7:42:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: drfroglegs] [#36]
Any idea on when we will see the 20" A1 barrel assemblies in stock again? I don't care if it's 1/7" or 1/12".

I need two of them so my brother and I can complete our build.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 4:57:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 5:10:28 PM EDT
[#38]
I picked up a 10.5 635 gray upper, gray 635 lower and 3 mags. Had been waiting since seeing it at SHOT.
If you are one of the ones looking for an A1 stripped upper from one of the early runs hit me up. I may be able to help out.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 7:06:50 PM EDT
[#39]
my 635 upper and mags showed up. Super nice. I cant wait to try it out. The lower still has not shipped kinda strange.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 8:33:39 PM EDT
[#40]
I sent my 635 upper back per Mike's request and it was replaced quickly.  New one is perfect.  Since I have an old PA-9, I need to tweak the wings on the feedramp wings per Mike's advice before I can run mine but at least the upper cycles smoothly nice off the lower.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 2:26:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Any idea on when we will see the 20" A1 barrel assemblies in stock again? I don't care if it's 1/7" or 1/12". Thanks!
View Quote

Looking for a couple bare or complete barrels myself
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 5:01:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Samson-Dogg] [#42]
I sent my 635 upper back per Mike's request and it was replaced quickly.  New one is perfect.  Since I have an old PA-9, I need to tweak the wings on the feedramp wings per Mike's advice before I can run mine but at least the upper cycles smoothly nice off the lower.
View Quote

what happened with your 635 upper? was it a10.5? i just got mine and it seems ok but i have not handled it really. the lower shipped today. i just read your post. i take it yours was a 16"? i just assumed the 10.5 were released 11/30
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 7:41:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 9:10:46 AM EDT
[#44]
733 uppers are live.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/91277/IMG_1912-3055214.jpg
View Quote

That's awesome Mike! So-if one was going to pick up the upper, which lower would one buy so when doing the form 1, having the correct model and listing the correct model on the form?
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 9:19:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 12:21:09 PM EDT
[#46]
no shaved bayo lug on the 733
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 2:05:51 PM EDT
[#47]
no shaved bayo lug on the 733
View Quote

733 never have shaved bayo lug from factory.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 2:25:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PGT_0673] [#48]
never say never with Colt.

Link Posted: 12/10/2023 7:20:42 PM EDT
[#49]
It would be the M16A2 COTS lower we make.

View Quote

cool, tku
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 11:45:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Are more 733’s dropping soon? I missed those. They went fast.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 85
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top