Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/23/2015 12:58:02 PM EDT
Does anyone know how to chemically strip annodizing? I've got an A1 upper receiver I want to refinish along with a couple other parts and I don't want use a sand blaster on it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 3:36:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Anodizing cannot be stripped off with chemical. It is a surface hardening treatment to the aluminum. You might have better lick with steel wool or green scotch bright pads.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 3:38:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anodizing cannot be stripped off with chemical. It is a surface hardening treatment to the aluminum. You might have better lick with steel wool or green scotch bright pads.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

most people use an acid of some sort.  phosphoric is popular.

There are 2 ways to accomplish the removal of the anodic coating from aluminum depending on the surface you want to end up with --

A NaOH (caustic) etch solution will remove the coating but will etch the surface leaving a diffuse (matte) appearance.

The chromic acid/phosphoric acid solution used in the Acid Dissolution Test ASTM B137 [link by ed. to spec at TechStreet] will remove the anodic coating without affecting the underlying surface. The composition of that bath is 80 grams of chromic acid in 3.5 liters of water, add 140 ml of 85% phosphoric acid, add water to make 4 liters. The bath is operated at 190 - 200 °F. Immerse the part for 15 minutes and then rinse well in water.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 3:51:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Does anyone know how to chemically strip annodizing? I've got an A1 upper receiver I want to refinish along with a couple other parts and I don't want use a sand blaster on it.
View Quote

Are you trying to finish it to a different color
Or get a Battle field look
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 4:58:23 PM EDT
[#4]
its one of the royal tiger cracked receivers i want to try to fix. and i just want to get it looking like the same color again once im done. the other parts are mag release buttons, delta rings, Charging handles, and a buffer tube i want to refinish to "Colt Grey"
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 5:07:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are 2 ways to accomplish the removal of the anodic coating from aluminum depending on the surface you want to end up with --

A NaOH (caustic) etch solution will remove the coating but will etch the surface leaving a diffuse (matte) appearance.

The chromic acid/phosphoric acid solution used in the Acid Dissolution Test ASTM B137 [link by ed. to spec at TechStreet] will remove the anodic coating without affecting the underlying surface. The composition of that bath is 80 grams of chromic acid in 3.5 liters of water, add 140 ml of 85% phosphoric acid, add water to make 4 liters. The bath is operated at 190 - 200 °F. Immerse the part for 15 minutes and then rinse well in water.

Was not aware of that. Learned something new!
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 6:24:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
its one of the royal tiger cracked receivers i want to try to fix. and i just want to get it looking like the same color again once im done. the other parts are mag release buttons, delta rings, Charging handles, and a buffer tube i want to refinish to "Colt Grey"
View Quote

Dont bother stripping it.

Prep for welding
Weld
Grind

Sandblast and shoot it with Norrells.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 1:06:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Make a LYE and Water mixture. It will strip it off.

It reacts highly with aluminum so if you mix it too strong the glass container can get very hot and crack .etc Start with a little lye and add to the mixture.

I dip small aluminum parts in Naval Jelly until the finish is gone.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 1:51:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It reacts highly with aluminum so if you mix it too strong the glass container can get very hot and crack .etc Start with a little lye and add to the mixture.

View Quote

Naval Jelly works on parkerized parts.  I don't think it has any effect on anodized aluminum parts.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 5:53:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Where can i get the chromic acid and phosphoric acid?
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 9:36:37 PM EDT
[#11]
DRANO

but dont keep it in there too long. It can start to eat through the aluminium itself!  Ask me how I know!
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 5:31:39 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Naval Jelly works on parkerized parts.  I don't think it has any effect on anodized aluminum parts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Drop an aluminum ar15 trigger guard into it and leave it for an hour, it will strip the anodizing and dye off.

Here is me reanodizing the trigger guard. Notice the bare metal delta ring on the far right and bare metal trigger guard in the container.

Link Posted: 10/1/2015 5:54:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Is it cheaper to get myself set up to annodize my own parts, or to just have someone else do them. Currently, I have 2 uppers, a buffer tube, 2 delta rings, a charging handle and 2 mag release buttons to do. I do plan on doing an 80% lower or two in the future. How hard is it to set up and do? To get the right color?
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 10:05:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Is it cheaper to get myself set up to annodize my own parts, or to just have someone else do them. Currently, I have 2 uppers, a buffer tube, 2 delta rings, a charging handle and 2 mag release buttons to do. I do plan on doing an 80% lower or two in the future. How hard is it to set up and do? To get the right color?
View Quote

Type 2 isn't that hard, nor expensive to do.

The hardest part is keeping the acid bath cool enough ~70 degrees. It's hot in Louisiana so I went out at 2am in the morning to do most of my work. The advanced setups have chillers. I used a small fan to keep the cool night air blowing over my jar. I went with a tall glass jar so that I could put it in the fridge for a few minutes when the wife was asleep.

Now to anodize large things like a receiver you need more amps. Your amp value is dependent on the surface area of the part to be worked on. You would need a large bucket to do a receiver because it will heat up the solution quickly because of the higher amps. A larger volume of bath will help keep the solution cooler for longer but the outside air temperature should also be low to help keep it cool.

Chillers are used on nicer setups to cool. I've also seen some people insulate their buckets to help protect them from warmer ambient air.

Fish tank bubblers are also used by many hobbyiest to keep the acid bath and the dye bath agitated.

Battery Acid from autozone was around $10. A couple of these should do.

The lab power supply I have goes up to 4amps. It was ~$30 on ebay.

The rest of the stuff you might can get around the house. Lye, De-greaser (I like pressurized break cleaner), rubber gloves, lab thermometer that goes up to 200F, large pots, Distilled Water, Baking Soda. Aluminum wire, Aluminum blocks of various surface area.

I think you can get TYPE 2 setup like mine that can anodize a receiver for ~$100. I plan to try this myself eventually.

Here is my home anodized trigger guard and delta ring from the setup I posted above.

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top