Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/25/2015 10:56:17 PM EDT
Hi folks,

I'm considering picking up a retro SP1, and wanted to know whether all of the ones Colt sold had chrome-lined bores and chambers. I really like the ones with the 3-prong duckbill flash hider, but I am not sure whether the early ones had the chrome-lined bores, the absence of which is a deal-breaker for me. I've read the thread on here that lists the characteristics, serial numbers, and years of SP1s, but it does not tell me whether the old ones had non-chromed bores and chambers.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 11:36:36 PM EDT
[#1]
SP1s were made for 20+ years.  early ones did not have chrome chambers/bores.  you will want the ones w/ the barrels marked:

MP C - chrome chamber
C MP C - chrome chamber
C MP B - chrome bore
C MP CHROME BORE - chrome bore

there were SP1s w/ chrome chamber and 3 prong but they weren't made for very long.  chrome chambers were usually found with A1 flash hiders.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 11:36:43 PM EDT
[#2]
No not all SP1s had chrome bores or even a chrome chamber.  I had a circa 1971 SP1 that had a chrome chamber. I believe anything before 1968 would have not had a chrome chamber.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 11:53:53 PM EDT
[#3]
If you have the chance to pick up a nice older SP1, I wouldn't let the non-chrome issue stand in your way, as long as that bore hasn't been neglected .... and allowed to rust.
Check it out carefully.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 7:39:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you have the chance to pick up a nice older SP1, I wouldn't let the non-chrome issue stand in your way, as long as that bore hasn't been neglected .... and allowed to rust.
Check it out carefully.
View Quote

I agree with this. A chrome bore is advantageous in the sense that it resists corrosion better, but if the bore is cleaned and maintained properly, that is not an issue. If you have a chance to buy a really early SP1, I suggest you do it. I have a 1977 SP1. I wish I could afford to buy one of the early ones.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 10:44:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
SP1s were made for 20+ years.  early ones did not have chrome chambers/bores.  you will want the ones w/ the barrels marked:

MP C - chrome chamber
C MP C - chrome chamber
C MP B - chrome bore

there were SP1s w/ chrome chamber and 3 prong but they weren't made for very long.  chrome chambers were usually found with A1 flash hiders.
View Quote

My late 1968 has MP C barrel, early bend, and a 3 prong. This config was used for a VERY short time.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 12:23:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

My late 1968 has MP C barrel, early bend, and a 3 prong. This config was used for a VERY short time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

MP C - chrome chamber
C MP C - chrome chamber
C MP B - chrome bore

Got a 68 just like yours.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:58:04 PM EDT
[#7]
My 1971 sp-1 has a chrome chamber only and marked  C MP C   they are good barrels..
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 5:56:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

MP C - chrome chamber
C MP C - chrome chamber
C MP B - chrome bore

Strike that. My barrel has a 12 on underside, not MP C.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 12:33:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Check it out carefully.
View Quote

I agree, I had a very early SP1 with duckbill flash hider and no chrome years.  It was far more accurate than I ever expected and never had any issues with it.  I LOVED that rifle but, unfortunately, some slimy piece of sh*t stole it and I was never able to find and afford another.  Just talking about it makes me want to puke.  If you find a good deal on an early SP1, go for it, they won't get any easier to find and they definitely won't get any cheaper.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 1:39:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

MP C - chrome chamber
C MP C - chrome chamber
C MP B - chrome bore

Yours is earlier than mine...

Yours is earlier than mine 117xx - 118xx serial range?
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:20:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

MP C - chrome chamber
C MP C - chrome chamber
C MP B - chrome bore

Yours is earlier than mine...

Best I recall it's 113xx or maybe 131xx.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top