Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/15/2015 7:40:20 PM EDT
I've been wanting a parts kit for the heck of it so I took a chance on one from Royal Tiger Imports for $349. The kit was listed as "good" which I was good with because I was wanting some patina. Seems like it was a good deal when compared to GB prices but I'm sure I could've bought individual pieces in better shape for near the same price over time in the EE.

I just unboxed the kit. No cleaning or close inspection as of yet.

The kit as received

Upper receiver.....has some scratches on the left side

BCG looks near new as I've read it would be in other reviews

Bits and pieces

Handguard as expected

2 goldish magazines

Link Posted: 4/15/2015 7:41:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Cleaning kit and strap was an unexpected bonus

Link Posted: 4/15/2015 7:42:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Decent looking upper! Gonna make a FINE peashooter!
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 7:51:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Most of the metal parts look really good in the photos. FH, disconnect, even the slipring look pretty unmarked. Seems like the best deal around even with the rough furniture. Score!

That looks like the "silent sling". Of course, you won't be satisfied with that. It'll look best with a seatbelt.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 8:16:36 PM EDT
[#4]
You got a great looking upper receiver! Some of the ones I've seen from the kits have either been flat out worn or refinished in solid film lube (or whatever it is). Yours will clean up nicely.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 8:31:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Sell the FA parts an the kit just got cheap.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 8:35:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks like all the FA lower parts are there.  That's $150 easy.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 8:44:19 PM EDT
[#7]
It's perfect. I'd use the handguards just like they are. I like the wear on the upper.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 8:47:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like the wear on the upper.
View Quote

I'm think that's just blotchy packing grease (if it's anything like mine). The one I got looks as if it came from a rifle that sat in a rack from day one, unfired. Same for the stock, handguards, BCG, pistol grip, slip ring, etc. The only thing that I noticed was a little worn was the latch on the charging handle.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 8:49:19 PM EDT
[#9]
The handguards are better than most from parts kits I've seen. Actually fairly presentable. Only 2 bad spots, worst one underneath.

Cleaned and checked the upper. Seems ok to me. No miracles after clean up really. It didn't seem to be terribly dirty during initial cleaning.

Link Posted: 4/15/2015 9:12:38 PM EDT
[#10]
The handguards in my kit looked brand new, but my slip ring has almost no finish left.

Other than that my kit looked very similar.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 10:10:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice. I have been wanting to do a retro build for a long time now... Soon hopefully.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 10:14:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Try soaking the upper in acetone, and brush with a tooth brush.. Really cleans up and gets the old oils out.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 10:14:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Just got the same kit

Wish it had a buttstock
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 11:06:47 PM EDT
[#14]
They are sold out, thank God. I didn't need to spend the money!

Numrich gun parts has stocks.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 11:23:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Sell off the Full auto LPK and purchase a nice furnature set and nice port door and you got yourself a killer M16A1 build for around $800.00 with NDS lower and Colt barrel.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 6:31:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Sell off the Full auto LPK and purchase a nice furnature set and nice port door and you got yourself a killer M16A1 build for around $800.00 with NDS lower and Colt barrel.
View Quote

Yep I'll probably sell the LPK.

I used an AR15Sport.com barrel on my other A1, but Brownells is back in stock so I ordered theirs.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 7:38:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah I'll probably sell them as long as there aren't any legal issues with it?? Already made the mistake of buying a 80% thinking I could get someone to do the machining for me. Doh!
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 8:04:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yeah I'll probably sell them as long as there aren't any legal issues with it?? Already made the mistake of buying a 80% thinking I could get someone to do the machining for me. Doh!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's the buyer's responsibility to use them in accordance with the law.

I think got a bayo and a full nylon 20 round mag pouch for mine when I got one in a kit!

Put a WWT ad up and got a few offers.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:42:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Just got done putting one together. Purchased a kit from CFS in August of '13 for the same price. Didn't get mags, cleaning kit, or sling, but got a decent stock w/rack numbers. My CH looked to be worn, but the rest looked good. Purchased a McKay retro barrel, NDS lower, and a new spring kit. Used a left over FCG that I had laying around. Ended up finding an original A1 barrel assembly here (thanks Hogger) and went ahead and assembled it. Scruffed up the new lower to match the old upper. Easy build. Couldn't be happier. Took it out last weekend for the first time. 1st shot was a bull at 25 yards and no hick-ups what so ever. Although it took a while to get it done, glad I own a part of history. Bet you'll enjoy yours too.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:25:10 AM EDT
[#20]
I have to get a lower now. Prob a Nodak.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 3:07:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I received my 80% lower. It's not a Nodak. I'll probably just do some reprofiling to the front.

http://i.imgur.com/UeXSson.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/54QmAN2.jpg
View Quote

Is that Braceman's engraving ?

Oops, I see it's RD.  Care to share who RD is ?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 5:19:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I used an AR15Sport.com barrel on my other A1, but Brownells is back in stock so I ordered theirs. My 80% engraved lower by RD should be in soon. Here's an example of his work.

http://i.imgur.com/qFIdAjf.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used an AR15Sport.com barrel on my other A1, but Brownells is back in stock so I ordered theirs. My 80% engraved lower by RD should be in soon. Here's an example of his work.

http://i.imgur.com/qFIdAjf.jpg

Mother of God!  Nice work, I'm so jelly!!!
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 6:51:24 PM EDT
[#23]

Completely strip that thing down, then let it sit in some warm water with dish soap for a few hours.  Then hit it with a toothbrush and some dish soap, rinse with hot water, let dry.  Then rub it down with CLP or any sort of oil.  That'll get it looking a lot less crusty and dried out
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:02:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Nice.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 4:04:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Things are going good on this one. I needed an A1 stock. Found a complete furniture set with nice handguards for less than other A1 stocks I've found.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 4:05:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Things are going good on this one. I needed an A1 stock. Found a complete furniture set with nice handguards for less than other A1 stocks I've found.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 7:37:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Just kind of layed some parts together before the lower goes to US Anodizing.

I wonder about the sling swivel on this stock. Looks weird and is loose. Is it correct and the coating came off or wrong all together?

Link Posted: 4/22/2015 9:31:35 PM EDT
[#28]
The swivel should be coated. Why are you sending the lower receiver off for anodizing before the milling is done?
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 10:49:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The swivel should be coated. Why are you sending the lower receiver off for anodizing before the milling is done?
View Quote

FFL reasons I thought. Should I mill them first? I thought it was easier to get it done as 80% pieces??
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 5:21:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

FFL reasons I thought. Should I mill them first? I thought it was easier to get it done as 80% pieces??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're using U.S. Anodizing, I'm wanting to say that you can mail it directly to him and he can mail it directly back to you since he's an FFL holder. If that's the case, the same can be said about any anodizing company who has an FFL.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top