Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/24/2010 8:43:46 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 9:22:14 PM EDT
[#1]
If you can do that...and I'm not saying you can't––just "if you can"...you'll have beat me by almost a grand!

A lot of the final price, however, will be based on luck.  Be in the right place at the right time, chatting with the right old-timer, and you might find green furniture at a great price. One or two finds like that would seriously impact the bottom line.  That's the nature of the game.  Shop hard and hope you get lucky!

On the other hand, considering what some pieces have gone for within the past year, just nice furniture and a good 1-14 barrel could eat up that whole $2300 budget––with absolutely no other parts included.

My advice for anyone looking to do this? Be patient, be persistent, be polite and be patient.  (Yeah, patience is important enough to mention twice.)
Watch every gun board you can think of (not just this board and GB and Sturmgewehr), and place "want to buy" ads wherever you can.  And then get off the computer.  Go to gun shows. Stop in every gun shop you can find.  Talk to gunsmiths if you can.  
Just like looking for a job––you got to network!
And then be patient. (Yeah, I'm repeating it for good measure.)

The opposite of patience is money.  The less patient you want to be, the more you'd better be ready to spend.
If you're really impatient (read: "willing to spend a LOT"), just give me a call. I'm sure you could talk me out of one of mine for a ridiculous price!  

(Note to moderators: that was humor. I am not actually offering anything for sale!)
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 2:22:39 AM EDT
[#2]
It cost me more than that a couple of years ago.
I expect it would run $3000 IF you're lucky and patient.
OlGunner is right, an original barrel, upper, and furniture would have you close to your estimate.
I've thought about selling mine recently, and I'll be disappointed if I don't get well over $3k for all the parts.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 3:20:29 AM EDT
[#3]
It cost me that much and I don't have the correct barrel.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 3:49:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Recent sales/auctions that I am aware of some will be + - as I don't remember the exact,,, asterisc represent known to me actual sales
1/14 Barrel 2 I know sold for $950  1 at * $975 * and 1 at $1150 *
Upper receiver with original site wheel & port door + - $500  Stripped upper + - $ 200  but GOOD LUCK finding a lone rear site wheel
Carbon steel early bend gas tube $100*
HGs $610 up to $1500 *
Nice type A stock $235 *
Real nice PG $55 *
601 bolt stop $65 to $125 *  I've sold for both prices on GB
Original dimpled mag release with original many circle button $155 * I sold on GB
Original frt pivot pin and dimpled takedown pin I've sold $55-$75 *
Original 601 buffer tube $125 and up to $175 * No wrench flats added
Edgewater buffer  $125-$150 * BUT one of mine sold not long ago for $230*
Original correct early configuration chrome BCG $300 *
Triangle charging handle $75-$125 *
No drain butt stock screw ? But will know if one I have up sells
Early PG screw with hole + - $10
FCG modified to semi only $50 + -
Original 601 sling,expect to pay between $75 and $100 if seller knows what he has,BUT these can be found in boxes mixed in with regular M1 slings,sometimes on egay incorrectly described,so you can get lucky on these.I did for $12 off egay.
There are NO guesses here,these are known to me fairly recent observed prices,but many deals go on quietly so good deals I'm sure can be had.Don't think I missed anything,but if I did,let me know as I'm sure I know a recent price.
ETA almost forgot,a member was lucky no bid war happened and scored a beautiful Upper assembly to include barrel,complete upper BCG and triangle CH for $1125,so all my prices above represent having to find each piece individually.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 4:11:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Took me a year to get where I am with my 601 build.  Everything so far except the lower.  Mine will be a shooter so I have skipped over the Early gas tube, Edgewater and original barrel.

Many of my parts were obtained in trade, so it's hard to put a price on it.  A very safe estimate (of what I have in mine) so far is; $1600 ( still no original barrel)
This doesn't include FCG parts, magazine catch and button, or the parts listed above.  Some parts I can live without.
I did get an original 601 sling on Eray for 1 cent.  Thanks to a sharp eyed member here and no other bidders.  It's a little rough, but not damaged and works well with the overall build.

I think the best way to obtain 601 parts is one on one with the seller or FTF at shows etc.  Once the retro hive get's word of a rare part, it's like throwing meat to the lions.  Many of these prices we see on auctions are just pissing matches.  It pays to stay in communication with these knucklheads here so that when they do sell, maybe you can buy direct without the competition.  I'd say 80% of my parts came directly from members here, not auctions.

When I first signed up, green guards were selling for 140-250 a set.  Stocks were around 100.  Once one item sells on GB, everyone from that moment on want's that price or more. Never fails.

Now if a set of 601 guards in great shape sell on the next auction for $50, will that be the next set price.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 5:08:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I started building mine in 2007.  It cost me much less than that, but then, mine is not completely correct - the MP barrel is the most glaring omission.  However, I don't think it's possible to provide a good estimate.  There are too many variables, too small a sample, and too much variance.  Having said that, I suspect that the minimum would be upwards of $3K.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 6:01:45 AM EDT
[#7]
So what is the alternitive?
Buy a real complete 601 is fair shape for 13-15k?
That is if your state allows NFA.
Could someone find an agency demiling one and buy all the parts from one rifle less the receiver?
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 6:41:58 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm not even gonna talk about how much it cost me to build my 601, using correct parts.

Let's just say I got very lucky finding original parts.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 7:14:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:50:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
So what is the alternitive?
Buy a real complete 601 is fair shape for 13-15k?

That is what I was kinda thinking.

Yea I mean if I wanted one to be correct bad enough.
Even a 601 clone is still a clone. If I'm going to spend 3k or more on a rifle for a clone
might as well spend the extra money and have the real thing.

I can justify spending 800-1k on a 603 or 604 clone and it be a clone.
I would take it out and shoot the hell out of it.
Are you guys with 601 uppers really going to shoot thousnads of rounds out of them?
If I just want the look I can buy an SP1 and still have the look and be all Colt.
But a more rare 601 with hard to find parts I think deserves to be the real thing.
It's only money right.........
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:56:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Just another thought here.For every correct clone we retro guys build,,that leaves less and less "original replacement" parts for the real 601s.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 9:01:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Even a 601 clone is still a clone. If I'm going to spend 3k or more on a rifle for a clone

But for a lot of people (myself included) a real one is not possible, no matter how much money you may have.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 9:05:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

But for a lot of people (myself included) a real one is not possible, no matter how much money you may have.

SAME HERE

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 9:06:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Yea I am sorry for you guys on that.
In your shoes I understand.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 9:26:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Just another thought here.For every correct clone we retro guys build,,that leaves less and less "original replacement" parts for the real 601s.

Which is why, after I finish my last one and have one of each color (just for the photo op, of course!), I may part out one of them...but I will keep at least one complete clone as a (functional) spare parts kit for the real 01.
With all the accessories, some paperwork, and a complete clone for parts, I figure if I ever choose to resell the real rifle, I'd be able to offer a complete package that would be very difficult to duplicate.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 10:05:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Good luck.
With handguards alone going at 600, 1500  ...  It reaches WTF status very fast.

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 10:34:48 AM EDT
[#17]
if I had $13,000 - $15,000 to spend on an M16.. I would get this instead
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 10:50:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Cost.? I hope I am in my buddies will.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 11:09:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Don't skimp by not getting a "No Tic" selector ...
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 11:26:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Don't skimp by not getting a "No Tic" selector ...

Included in my parts breakdown above,complete FCG from a member and GB seller can be had

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 11:30:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
if I had $13,000 - $15,000 to spend on an M16.. I would get this instead

That's still like building a 3k clone because it's not a Real Shelby that would cost 90k plus.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 12:20:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Did these come with both Early style & later Buffers ??
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 7:04:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 7:06:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:34:11 PM EDT
[#25]
If I had an original 601, I wouldn't need replacement parts.

I would probably have a second one.

just keep em oiled so they don't rust,beerz don't count as a lube
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 9:15:21 PM EDT
[#26]
That's still like building a 3k clone because it's not a Real Shelby that would cost 90k plus

Hey Crow, found one for you brother but your gonna need a LOT more pennies...

http://www.cars-on-line.com/44158.html

Bottom line price is Price - $ 599,000 OBO
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 4:59:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Call me a glass half full type, but I would say that for every correct clone we build, that brings together more and more "original replacement" parts that could be used to properly restore an original 601.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:02:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Ok mine will be built with a beat up 604 upper that I removed markings and had Victor anodize to match the NDS 601 lower.  Heatnbeat  parts with divots and his ejection port cover along with colt  trigger and hammer pins with divots. Heatnbeat provided the green painted furniture as well as installing the FSB and parkerizing a in the white barrel. Waffle mag from NDS. Dawg provided the Flash hider and the sling I got at a gun show not really a 601 sling but good  enough for now. Bayonet is one I got at local Surplus Store that has groves in handle again good enough for now. I am looking at about  $1075.00 for one that would be good at  what in the RC Aircraft is called correct at  25ft So the retro gods will not be mad at me for using real 601 parts.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:14:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Call me a glass half full type, but I would say that for every correct clone we build, that brings together more and more "original replacement" parts that could be used to properly restore an original 601.

I think someone had a 601 buffer tube on the Ee for 35$ .. with a A2 stock...

Yeah, we need to gather all this stuff up and rent a mini-strage by fort knox for it all.
Some kid just nabbed up a 601 buffer tube and doesnt even know it.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top