Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2008 9:34:23 PM EDT
I found an R604 upper in excellent shape at the nearby funshow.  It's from a late pattern gun.  C MP C marked barrel and birdcage.  Only some minor character scratches on the right side and some dings in the slip ring.

I bought a three-prong at the same time, just in case I want to make an early clone.

The guy who normally has old parts had an old, beat up, type D stock and a near perfect M16A1 stock.  I know the type D is correct for the type, but the A1 was in too good of shape to pass up.

I might trade with my father in law who has an A1 clone and a type D stock...

At any rate, I call Nodak tomorrow and hope to get a lower, maybe two...

Pictures are coming soon.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 8:59:03 AM EDT
[#1]
POST 223!
Pics!

I mailed my money-order to NoDak this morning, so I should have a lower for it real soon now.

Edited to fix the pics from me reorganizing my Webshots account.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 9:43:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks nice!  I just ordered a couple from NDS too.  I've got a spare right handguard, if you want to replace that one, it's yours, send me a PM.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 11:09:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm torn on the handguard.  It's otherwise in excellent shape.  Kinda has character with it broken.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 11:10:21 AM EDT
[#4]
This is my first order from NoDak, what sort of shipping times should I expect?
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 11:13:54 AM EDT
[#5]
If they've got it in stock, should be pretty quick.  Looks like you'll have a real nice 604.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 1:01:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm torn on the handguard.  It's otherwise in excellent shape.  Kinda has character with it broken.

send an IM to dawg180, he has extra right handguards....
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:49:49 AM EDT
[#7]
SCORE

Found a Type D with pistol grip on Gun-Broker, hope they are in halfway decent excellent shape, the sellers feedback was uniformly positive...

The Stock:

The Pistol Grip.  This is by far the nicest one I have ever seen for sale, and I bought it sight-unseen.

Do I get double points for getting the lens cap in the shot?

ETA pictures.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 2:38:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought the same exact thing from some dealer at the Lakeland gun show.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 4:01:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Not just the same thing, same show I got mine at!

I had set out to get an A1, but the barrel on this thing seems unfired.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 6:20:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I sent money order to NoDak - na na nana
I said I sent money order to NoDak - na na nana
I'm in the queue he said - na na nana
Gotta wait for the anodizer - na na nana
To ship a load back in - na na nana

I got the paid for the lowers, waiting for the suppliers, sitting by the mail box blues.

Link Posted: 11/22/2008 11:22:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I sent money order to NoDak - na na nana
I said I sent money order to NoDak - na na nana
I'm in the queue he said - na na nana
Gotta wait for the anodizer - na na nana
To ship a load back in - na na nana

I got the paid for the lowers, waiting for the suppliers, sitting by the mail box blues.

Awesome!  I've got everything for my 604 except the lower.  I need to order one soon.  Post pics when you get it all together.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 11:43:43 AM EDT
[#12]
mine, went out to nodak yesterday!!!!I cant stop building...found four new A1 stocks couldnt leave them there...just need some fire control parts...maybe I can sell my kidney on e bay and get another receiver..HELP    Tim in M.o.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 2:47:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
mine, went out to nodak yesterday!!!!I cant stop building...found four new A1 stocks couldnt leave them there...just need some fire control parts...maybe I can sell my kidney on e bay and get another receiver..HELP    Tim in M.o.

Yep, I know the feeling.  I had three spare XM buttstocks.  Now I have three uppers (603, 603, 604).

I just ordered an A1 from NDS and will order two XMs.
Link Posted: 11/27/2008 9:50:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Man, I hate waiting.

I had hoped that NoDak would have shipped my lowers by now.  But, no.  Alas!

They'll get here when they get here, I just hate to wait.
Link Posted: 11/28/2008 9:32:22 AM EDT
[#15]
mine diddnt show up yet either...maybe tomorrow.. Tim
Link Posted: 11/28/2008 2:23:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Good news, I guess, the FFL I am having them shipped to didn't have them.  That means that there's still a chance that my e-mail address is legible and they simply haven't caught up to my order yet.
Link Posted: 11/30/2008 9:32:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Damn, this sucks.

My order and money order got to them on November 18th.  I have no idea when they had time to open the letter.

I called on the 19th to see if I had filled out the form correctly and Mike said he my order would likely ship from "next week's" batch from the anodizer.

Now he's posted they're in back-order.  That puts me in Retro Build Hell!

I am sure that they are doing their very best.  I would rather have things right than right-now.  I just hate waiting!  I know, so does everyone else.
Link Posted: 12/4/2008 12:34:00 PM EDT
[#18]
All done!

The NoDak lower is TIGHT!  Tightest lower I have ever built on.  Only one real snag and that was the buffer retainer detent hole was too tight for the detent to slide up and down.  I chased it with a 1/4" drill bit for a little bit and it it's all better.

ETA: The color match is PERFECT.

PICS!

Obligatory bayonet shot.

And compared to my not-retro A2 clone.

Link Posted: 12/4/2008 12:41:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Thats a great looking rifle!
That pic of both rifles just reinforces my opinion that the early AR's are lovely rifles with great lines and the later A2's look like squared off ass next to them.
Long live retro!
Link Posted: 12/4/2008 1:08:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Nice build!!

Love the 604s.  Last one I put together was the later style with full fence lower, "Chome Bore" marked barrel, and a bird cage FH.
Link Posted: 12/5/2008 5:42:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Very Nice. you ordered yours about the time i ordered mine maybe the retro gods will smile on me soon....Till then scrounge for parts!!!!
Link Posted: 12/5/2008 7:08:04 AM EDT
[#22]
That upper sure looks familiar, good work!
Link Posted: 1/4/2009 3:37:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Finally got her to the range.

I am happy with the way it shoots.

Link Posted: 1/4/2009 4:48:48 PM EDT
[#24]
great job! here on the Retro forum we bring good things to life..
Link Posted: 1/4/2009 7:15:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Nice build!
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top