Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/14/2017 6:07:02 PM EDT
Took the .223 10.5 barrel pistol out... Currently sporting a silencerco flash hider....
I noticed that that muzzle flip is a lot compared to my 16" with an A2 flash hider..... Anyone else experience this? Wondering if all pistol ARs are like this and its kust something i need to get used to..... Doing double taps with the 16" is no problem... But not with the pistol.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 6:29:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Kind of the nature of the beast without having that third point of contact in your shoulder.

Did you have the buffer tube on your cheek?
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 6:48:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Yup...kinda want to go back to 16" lol.... Not even sure having it as a SBR with a stock would help with the muzzle rise... Maybe a comp would help. Like a bcm comoensator.. But boy is it gonna be loud
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 7:08:49 PM EDT
[#3]
While recoil and muzzle rise are going to be a bit different than long barreled rifles, I have found the AR pistol to be great to shoot and for me at least, easier to be more accurate using the cheek weld.  Of course the ranges are less, but so is barrel length.  I have the regular A2 and have not experienced any of the problems with recoil, muzzle rise and large flash I hear so much about with short barreled pistols with those "cans" and other muzzle brakes.  Mine is a 7.5" barrel.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 8:16:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Your pistol may be overgassed.
I have a PSA 16" carbine with an effin' A comp and a Radical Firearms 10" pistol w/A2 birdcage, I don't notice a significant difference in muzzle rise.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 8:47:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Try an A2 birdcage on it, my 8.5 pistol is tame, my wife and kids shoot it???
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 12:48:03 AM EDT
[#6]
it is a little more than my 16" on my 7.5", but you may be getting over gassed on yours. Mine is manageable.  Also you might try a heavy buffer and spring to damp'n the effects some. my 10.5" isn't that much different on recoil with the CAR length gas system than my 16" rifle. The noise is though. Need to put a flash can on mine to get the noise forward.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 5:46:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Your pistol may be overgassed.
I have a PSA 16" carbine with an effin' A comp and a Radical Firearms 10" pistol w/A2 birdcage, I don't notice a significant difference in muzzle rise.
View Quote

I'm thinking this. I've shot 16s with more felt recoil than some 10.X SBRs. Lots of variables...
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 11:51:36 AM EDT
[#8]
If its overgassed, how do i fix it?

I may try a different buffer and spring first.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 2:37:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Use a standard carbine spring, the heavy ones are really not recommended.  A heavier buffer works better as it is meant to prevent bolt bounce and to slow the bolt unlocking a bit.  A heavier spring just provides more force on closing without doing anything to stop the bolt bouncing.  Just do not go too heavy on a buffer or you risk failures to eject.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:18:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Ill pick up a h2 buffer and test it out.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 9:35:29 PM EDT
[#11]
While I feel about if a difference between my 10.5 and16 I don't feel it's that bad but like others have said there are a lot of variables.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 12:04:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Install an adjustable gas block like SLR Sentry.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 5:06:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Install an adjustable gas block like SLR Sentry.
View Quote

This.. heavy buffer is just a bandaid, adj block is a fix.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 2:03:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This.. heavy buffer is just a bandaid, adj block is a fix.
View Quote

yea but a buffer is a lot cheaper than a good adj gas block and it hasn't been established it's over gas yet anyway
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top