Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/2/2016 12:52:03 AM EDT
I have one of these:

and I cant get it to cycle reliably at all. I am on a standard PSA lower with a regular build kit and I'm using a random charging handle and a new BCM bolt carrier backed by a standard carbine H2 buffer and carbine buffer tube shooting XM193.

Any ideas where to start?

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:20:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Usually you want a heavier buffer the shorter the gas system is. I recommend trying either a carbine or H buffer to see if that rectifies the situation. Also ensure you are lubing the bolt carrier group. Lastly, even if it is a new BCG check the gas rings on the bolt to ensure they are aligned properly and/or free of damage. Pending those issues my money is on issues with the gas block or gas tube. Hope this helps!

ATW!
-Fox
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:34:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I found a heavy buffer, Im going to try that next. I assumed PSA test fired this upper they built and would've shown any issues with the gas block alignment but who knows. The gas rings are on OK in the BCG and its lubed up pretty decently.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 11:36:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I found a heavy buffer, Im going to try that next. I assumed PSA test fired this upper they built and would've shown any issues with the gas block alignment but who knows. The gas rings are on OK in the BCG and its lubed up pretty decently.
View Quote

Since you didn't explain the nature of the malfing, I don't see how anyone could possibly suggest a remedy.

For example, if it's short stroking, not locking back on shooting a single round, the last thing you would want is a heavier buffer.

- OS
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 12:45:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Did you check your gas block?  I just put together a pistol with their 8.5" 300 blk.  Gas block screws weren't tight at all.  I dimpled the barrel and staked them.  Not saying that's the source of your problem, but worth a check.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 12:46:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Since you didn't explain the nature of the malfing, I don't see how anyone could possibly suggest a remedy.

For example, if it's short stroking, not locking back on shooting a single round, the last thing you would want is a heavier buffer.

- OS
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

Yes more details would help. Also, if youjust throw an H2 buffer in because it sounds like a good idea,,,,,,you're doing it wrong. You should start with a standard weight then move heavier if necessary.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 11:04:29 PM EDT
[#6]
PSA has a lot of inadequete quality parts and terrible quality control on the things they build. These are the corners that get cut to bring you lower cost products.

The low quality parts could be causing extraction issues, or the combination could be under or over gassed. This could be the heavy buffer and heavier (full auto) bcg, a misalligned gas block, etc.

The gas rings shouldn't be causing this. Not in a new BCM bcg. Allignment of the rings is supposedly and likely negligible. The bolt should hold up the weight of carrier if extended and placed upright on a table.

Between a new BCG and an H2 buffer, that might be why. Check your ejection pattern. If you're throwbrass really far rearward, it's undergassed and you should try a stanard carbine buffer.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 12:44:59 PM EDT
[#7]
OK, heres what it does consistently with a stock buffer.
Charge weapon, shoot, bolt comes back and picks up new round, everything looks good on the outside, trigger does not move back (just a tiny bit of movement), hit forward assist, same trigger feel , charge weapon, clean round ejects, new one goes in and gun will shoot again one round, repeat (so gun does not go into battery correctly

with H2 buffer:

instant double feed on the shoot.

So H2 buffer coming out of the pistol lower.

Next trial, Im going to put the 8.5 (5.56) PSA upper on my SBR lower and swap the regular buffer in that gun also (it usually carries the h2 because its a 300blk 8.2" rig)

I agree, the BCG is good to go, the thing is lubed ok. Im going to rule out the lower as any cause

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 12:48:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Your trigger is not resetting. Sounds like a problem within the lower, not due to the upper.

Quoted:
Usually you want a heavier buffer the shorter the gas system is. I recommend trying either a carbine or H buffer to see if that rectifies the situation. Also ensure you are lubing the bolt carrier group. Lastly, even if it is a new BCG check the gas rings on the bolt to ensure they are aligned properly and/or free of damage. Pending those issues my money is on issues with the gas block or gas tube. Hope this helps!

ATW!
-Fox
View Quote

Not with a barrel that short. There's not much back pressure (which is why the Noveske KX3 came to be). Go with a standard spring, carbine buffer, and M16 profile carrier.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 1:02:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, I'll also try a known good 16" upper on this pistol lower to prove that scenario.

Nothing on the pistol lower is proven either so I'm thinking the same thing.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 1:20:00 PM EDT
[#10]
You didn't mention simplest test. Load single round in mag, charge, shoot. Does it lock back?

If not, almost certainly undergassed for one of several reasons.

- OS
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 1:40:14 PM EDT
[#11]
will do simple test also
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 2:05:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yeah, I'll also try a known good 16" upper on this pistol lower to prove that scenario.

Nothing on the pistol lower is proven either so I'm thinking the same thing.
View Quote

If it is indeed extracting/ejecting the fired case then chambering a new round, then I would bet your trigger has an issue. Did you install your disconnector spring properly?
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 2:26:34 PM EDT
[#13]
I think this right here is the issue:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/428705_.html

I should edit the title to avoid misleading issue as PSA faulty product
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 2:27:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

If it is indeed extracting/ejecting the fired case then chambering a new round, then I would bet your trigger has an issue. Did you install your disconnector spring properly?
View Quote

This was indeed the issue. Fires great now although loud as hell. Makes a great nighttime toy as fireballs exit 2' out the front
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 12:14:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This was indeed the issue. Fires great now although loud as hell. Makes a great nighttime toy as fireballs exit 2' out the front
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How is this 8.5" upper holding up for you Armamnt?
Are you seeing decent accuracy?
I just ordered one yesterday on PSA daily deal.
Hoping it to round out my pistol upper collection of 10.5" and 12.5"
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:27:33 AM EDT
[#16]
So, I got my 8.5" PSA upper that the OP is referring to.
First impressions, it doesn't shoot very good.
Everything cycles fine, but accuracy is terrible.
I put about 140 rds through it yesterday.
I tried Wolf Gold, PMC Bronze, LC 855 and some known good reloads with 55gr. Finished off the day with wolf steel to see if it would cycle.
Best group was about 4" at 50 yards.
For accuracy testing I had attached a bipod and 1-6x scope.
Later in the day removed the scope and had the exact same results with irons.
So that pretty much leaves the barrel.
I will take it out again and put another hundred or 2 rounds through it and see if it settles in.
Initial impressions are crap.
For a data point. My recent 12.5" and 10.5" builds achieved 1/2" groups and no worse than 1" using the same process and ammo at 50 yds.
Before my next trip I will remove the handguard and barrel and make sure it is properly installed/torqued etc.
If there is no change after that, probably replace the barrel with a faxon or something.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 7:44:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
PSA has a lot of inadequete quality parts and terrible quality control on the things they build. These are the corners that get cut to bring you lower cost products.

The low quality parts could be causing extraction issues, or the combination could be under or over gassed. This could be the heavy buffer and heavier (full auto) bcg, a misalligned gas block, etc.

The gas rings shouldn't be causing this. Not in a new BCM bcg. Allignment of the rings is supposedly and likely negligible. The bolt should hold up the weight of carrier if extended and placed upright on a table.

Between a new BCG and an H2 buffer, that might be why. Check your ejection pattern. If you're throwbrass really far rearward, it's undergassed and you should try a stanard carbine buffer.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/4/2016 3:53:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 12:46:25 AM EDT
[#19]
New member here and I may be  stirring a pile of bovine  excrement, but what I can see is PSA has great reviews. Must be that MN water. ;)
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 12:57:43 AM EDT
[#20]
With a short barrel, you don't have much barrel past the gas port, so you have reduced dwell time.
With that setup I would start with a CAR buffer, maybe try an H1if it will function.
An H2 is probably too heavy.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 1:21:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I tried Wolf Gold, PMC Bronze, LC 855 and some known good reloads with 55gr. Finished off the day with wolf steel to see if it would cycle.
I will take it out again and put another hundred or 2 rounds through it and see if it settles in.
For a data point. My recent 12.5" and 10.5" builds achieved 1/2" groups and no worse than 1" using the same process and ammo at 50 yds.
Before my next trip I will remove the handguard and barrel and make sure it is properly installed/torqued etc.
If there is no change after that, probably replace the barrel with a faxon or something.
View Quote

Any update on this problem? Inquiring minds would like to know.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 10:40:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I took it out and put another 100 rounds through it.
Groups started to settle down a little, but didn't get much better than about 2.5"- 3" @ 50yds.
Before next trip I will pull the barrel and reassemble and try 1 more time before replacing the barrel.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 6:51:49 AM EDT
[#23]
I have the same exact upper and my gas block is super crooked.

Like almost touching the inside of the handguard on one side, but a good 1/4" of space on the other side.

Haven't shot it yet. Trying to decide if I should try to fix it first or just leave it alone.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 1:50:17 AM EDT
[#24]
I built one with the same upper. My whole build is PSA parts. (Except for Anderson Pistol Buffer Tube Kit PSA was out)The parts they sell have good reviews and this upper has an 18  5 star review. After I put the lower together and put on the upper I ran three shots to see if it functioned. Worked fine. I didn't have a bolt carrier group or charging handle yet so borrowed one out of a rifle. When I get those parts I will start shooting it to break it in. I see some one commented about their gas block being crooked. Mine is perfectly straight. I am satisfied with the quality of their parts.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 1:52:09 AM EDT
[#25]
If your gas block came crooked why not send it back?
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 11:13:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ya...

Numerous people just in this thread with this same item complaining about probable quality issues.

yourself.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 11:17:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Groups started to settle down a little, but didn't get much better than about 2.5"- 3" @ 50yds.
Before next trip I will pull the barrel and reassemble and try 1 more time before replacing the barrel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Something I think was affecting me once... had an SPR type build that was grouping like crap with glass on it. Like 2" at 25yd.

It was also kicking harder than any AR or mil M16 series I'd ever fired. Brass was ejecting at about 1 o'clock. Switched out the gas block with a well throttled adjustable one and now it's a very accurate gun. Limited just about only by ammo type now. Wilson Combat stainless barrel.

So I'dcheck your ejection pattern.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 1:13:46 AM EDT
[#28]
I ordered one of the uppers in question.  It will be here in a few days along with a PSA full auto BCG.

The lower it will go on has been tested with a couple different pistol uppers and it functions perfectly.

So, when I get it ill report any noticeable issues and likewise after I shoot it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 12:37:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If your gas block came crooked why not send it back?
View Quote

Because PSA will just keep it for a week or two and do nothing but slap a return label on it and say nothing is wrong with it.

Ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 8:56:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Crap....I just ordered same upper 5 days ago.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:40:55 PM EDT
[#31]
I have one of these uppers and function tested it with 30 rounds.  It ran flawlessly.  The lower it was on is an Anderson lower that I put together.......   correctly.  
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top