Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2015 1:32:52 AM EDT
So I bought a stripped lower from a guy locally, built a 16 in rifle with it. Can I convert it to a pistol, and back and forth simply by switching upper and removing/adding stock?

Guy I bought it from bought a bunch of them and then got tired of building and selling so he just sold the rest of lowers he had. It's a spikes, and On the receiver it says cal multi, mod sl 15.

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 1:45:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Once a rifle, always a rifle
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 1:48:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I take that as a no then.. So even tho it's not registered or sold as either makes no diff? Once it's had a stock it's a rifle?
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 1:54:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I take that as a no then.. So even tho it's not registered or sold as either makes no diff? Once it's had a stock it's a rifle?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.

However, i believe that pistols can be converted to rifles, and back
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 2:05:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yup.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.

What's the difference? If I have a stripped lower and I build a pistol. Then add a stock and a 16" barrel.. I can go back to a pistol?  But if built as rifle first it can't go to pistol and back?

Link Posted: 5/17/2015 2:07:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

What's the difference? If I have a stripped lower and I build a pistol. Then add a stock and a 16" barrel.. I can go back to a pistol?  But if built as rifle first it can't go to pistol and back?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.

Well, there really is no difference, but the atf doesn't see it that way
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 2:15:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I mean, it can be a pistol with a 16" barrel.. If I put the stock on last, I basically built a pistol, then a rifle. So I could go back to pistol now if I wanted?
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 2:16:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I mean, it can be a pistol with a 16" barrel.. If I put the stock on last, I basically built a pistol, then a rifle. So I could go back to pistol now if I wanted?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.

The ATF doesn't see it that way once a rifle always a rifle but if you build it as a pistol first you can go back and forth, unless things have changed recently. So basically because you built it into a rifle first it's always a rifle. If you want a pistol go build another stripped lower. Nothing is registered unless you live in commie state.

Quoted:

I wouldn't since you have clearly stated on a public forum that you built it as a rifle first, but sure go ahead play the game with the ATF build an illegal SBR, spend 10 years in club fed, loose you right to own firearms, all seems worth it, and much better idea than simply buying another $40 stripped lower and having it transferred.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 2:19:51 AM EDT
[#8]
So I'm better off selling my lower, buying a new one, and building a pistol first. Then I can convert back and forth?

Can I keep both the uppers and stock together in bag? I won't be in trouble for intentions of making and sbr?
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 2:21:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So I'm better off selling my lower, buying a new one, and building a pistol first. Then I can convert back and forth?

Can I keep both the uppers and stock together in bag? I won't be in trouble for intentions of making and sbr?
View Quote

As long as everything is kept together as a kit you are fine, with a legal lower. I would not be caught with the short upper and a stock alone though. I would probably just keep the lower as rifle, and build another since lowers are dirt cheaper right now.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 2:24:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

As long as everything is kept together as a kit you are fine, with a legal lower. I would not be caught with the short upper and a stock alone though. I would probably just keep the lower as rifle, and build another since lowers are dirt cheaper right now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ya. I just looked, they have came down significantly since I got mine.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 10:31:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

if you can legally use the parts for legal purposes, there should be no issue.

if you only have a pistol and stock, that is probably bad.

if you have a pistol, stock and 16 inch upper, you are fine.
if you have a pistol and another rifle plus a stock(spare for the rifle) you are fine as well.

just don't get caught with no legal way to use the spare stock.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 6:38:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Here for example is a perfectly legal grouping of "aggregated parts in close proximity" to be out and about with (there could be multiples of any of them. Could have thrown in a VFG too). And of course, the lower must have begun life as a pistol.

However, without the long barrels in the mix, you have made an NFA firearm, whether the parts are actually physically assembled into an illegal config or not.

Note that at home, case law says that your entire property constitutes that "close proximity".

- OS

Link Posted: 5/17/2015 9:37:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Here for example is a perfectly legal grouping of "aggregated parts in close proximity" to be out and about with (there could be multiples of any of them. Could have thrown in a VFG too).

http://routedriver.home.comcast.net/pub/ARkit.jpg

However, without the long barrels in the mix, you have made an NFA firearm, whether the parts are actually physically assembled into an illegal config or not.

Note that at home, case law says that your entire property constitutes that "close proximity".

- OS

View Quote

So you can go to the range and shoot all those? U just have to switch the upper before adding the stock?
So in my case... Having built the rifle, I'm sol on being able to make it a pistol? But if I were to sell the lower and buy a new one that's never been assembled.. I could do a pistol and then. Switch back and forth?

Thanks again for helping me out guys!

Link Posted: 5/17/2015 9:44:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

So you can go to the range and shoot all those? U just have to switch the upper before adding the stock?
So in my case... Having built the rifle, I'm sol on being able to make it a pistol? But if I were to sell the lower and buy a new one that's never been assembled.. I could do a pistol and then. Switch back and forth?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here for example is a perfectly legal grouping of "aggregated parts in close proximity" to be out and about with (there could be multiples of any of them. Could have thrown in a VFG too).

http://routedriver.home.comcast.net/pub/ARkit.jpg

- OS

Sure, can mix and match at will, EXCEPT of course using the short barrel with the stock at the same time.

The key to the legality of the pictured config is that the lower was first built as a pistol, so it can go back and forth in configuration. Had it been first built as a rifle, that grouping of parts, if that's all you had, would be illegal.

Yeah, I know, who could know, right? And in the case of starting with a new lower, almost certainly correct, but that's the law (or rather the SCOTUS interpretation of it).  The rock sure proof,  if ever investigated, is if the lower had started off as a rifle from a manufacturer, which is easily found through the company's records.

- OS
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 2:32:35 PM EDT
[#15]
you can even buy a complete lower as long as it was never assembled as a rifle. even if it comes with a stock on it.
you just have to remove the stock first and put on an upper to be a pistol.

you can even use the stock buffer tube without the actual stock portion and you are still good.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 3:01:20 PM EDT
[#16]
FPNI.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 4:12:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
FPNI.
View Quote

If you mean the "Once a rifle, always a rifle" response, no it didn't.

"First a rifle, always a rifle" does.

- OS
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 9:52:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks guys. I really appreciate the insight into the legality of it all.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 12:11:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
you can even buy a complete lower as long as it was never assembled as a rifle. even if it comes with a stock on it.
you just have to remove the stock first and put on an upper to be a pistol. ...
View Quote

Just did that very thing. Put together a quite inexpensive PSA rifle just to stash, from a complete lower with stock and mostly complete upper. But before I did, I made it a quick pistol first. All my ARs are "pistol legal" except the only one I bought as a complete rifle.

- OS
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 10:45:33 PM EDT
[#20]
And if you lie to them, the can see it in your eyes. So DON'T DO IT!!!
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 5:57:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I wouldn't since you have clearly stated on a public forum that you built it as a rifle first, but sure go ahead play the game with the ATF build an illegal SBR, spend 10 years in club fed, loose you right to own firearms, all seems worth it, and much better idea than simply buying another $40 stripped lower and having it transferred.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 6:31:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.

That is correct.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:02:30 PM EDT
[#23]
What came first the chicken or the egg

If the first thing you did was installed the buffer tube on that stripped virgin lower without the stock you just built a pistol lower.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:47:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What came first the chicken or the egg

If the first thing you did was installed the buffer tube on that stripped virgin lower without the stock you just built a pistol lower.
View Quote

Incorrect. A lower with only a buffer tube (no stock) is not a pistol lower until a barreled upper is also attached.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:14:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Hey guys, I'm going to throw this in here just as a FYI. I know it'/I am kinda a buzz kill sometimes, it's just a CYA thing. When we get to complacent and start slipping the line too often that's when they start closing the noose. It happened with the braces, just sayin'.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_122/200876_The_AR15_PISTOL_INFORMATION_THREAD____.html&page=38
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:31:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Stripped lowers are dirt cheap now. Just get a stripped lower and build it as a pistol lower.

Yg
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top