Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/25/2015 2:27:27 PM EDT
I am working on a pistol build with a 7.5" barrel and a KX3, but the Troy Alpha rail that I bought initially is going to leave me in a tough spot if I ever want to add more rails, or rails in different positions. Therefore I am thinking of going with an M-LOK or Keymod hand guard so that I can easily add rails or modular accessories without having to remove the hand guard from the barrel nut. See the problem with the Alpha rail and the KX3 is that the flash hider is such a tight fit that I can't slide the modular rail backing through the front of the gun when the hand guard is fully installed; I would instead have to slide the backer through the hand guard from the receiver end before I tightened it down on the barrel nut. Hence why I am looking at a modular hand guard.

So I originally thought that I would get the ALG Defense EMR, which has neat M-LOK sections at 10 and 2 o'clock positions. But they only make the EMR in 10" length, not 9". 10" with the KX3 and a 7.5" barrel would make it so that the hand guard sits flush with the flash hider, which is not what I want. I'd like to avoid having to buy an 8.5" barrel just so I can buy a 10" EMR, so what I'm looking for is either an M-LOK or Keymod 9" hand guard with enough internal clearance for a Noveske KX3. So far I've found the Aero Precision Enhanced Keymod hand guard (http://aeroprecisionusa.com/aspx/store/productdetail.aspx?pid=269) but that's all.

Anyone know of anything else that will work off the top of their heads? I guess when it all comes down to it, I could just hack one inch off the end of the EMR, but I'd rather not...
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 3:33:57 PM EDT
[#1]
ALG makes a keymod rail for pistols just so you know.

http://algdefense.com/8-ergonomic-modular-rail-keymod-black.html

Personally I would never use a barrel less than 10 inches for this and various other reasons. One of the things about M-lok is that it's more suited to longer hand guards.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:11:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Well ok but I already have a 7.5" barrel and I'd rather not go longer unless I have to.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:19:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Personally I would never use a barrel less than 10 inches for this and various other reasons. One of the things about M-lok is that it's more suited to longer hand guards.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 6:06:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

+1
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Ok but +1 why? You guys can't just say things and not give me any reasons why.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 6:59:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Perhaps I forgot to mention that the ALG keymod rail is only 8 inches long. There are pictures on pg165 of the photo thread tacked above of someone who has mounted an Mlok rail on a reeeealy short barrel with a kx3 device. I quite like how it looks.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:37:38 PM EDT
[#6]
The ALG 8" rail is a good answer.  Or you could get the KAK slimline flashcan instead of the KX3.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:36:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The ALG 8" rail is a good answer.  Or you could get the KAK slimline flashcan instead of the KX3.
View Quote

I already have the KX3, so I'm not getting a different, lesser flash hider. I just want a Keymod or M-LOK hand guard that's around 9" to replace the Troy Alpha rail that I already have.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:17:37 AM EDT
[#8]
http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=1263

This is another option.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:30:05 AM EDT
[#9]
MI also offers a keymod
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:37:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=1263

This is another option.
View Quote

It won't fit the KX3 though. The outside diameter of the MI hand guard is 1.5", which is the same OD as the KX3. It might fit the KX5, but like I said before I already have the KX3 and I don't intend to replace it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 3:45:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Odin works makes a 9 1/2 inch rail that will fit the kx-3. i have that on my 8" 300 blk
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 4:27:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I had the same problem trying to fit a KX3 under a rail. I gave up and used a linear comp. from Joebobs. It looks nice and works well. I just have the upper with the KX3/KAK with a rail that does not extend past threads.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:10:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Seekins makes their MCSR V2 keymod rail in a 9" length. The inner diameter is large enough to accommodate a KX3.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 7:41:36 PM EDT
[#14]
I just found out I have the same problem today. With a 7.5" barrel, and a 3.25" blast can, it makes the assembly too short for the 10" ALG EMR V2. The 7.5" barrel only sticks out of the upper 7", and the 3.25" can threads onto the barrel 1/2". So the two together only equals about 9.75"... F me... I did not know all of this until I had the parts in hand and was measuring to see where the 10" handguard would land.

My plan has failed. I don't want the 8" keymod ALG makes, but wouldn't mind Mlock of the EMR V2 because the top section has a built in rail for irons.

I just might order the V3 and hack the last 1-2" off. Then mill the top rail off to make it a lower profile handguard so I can wrap my thumb over the top while using the Magpul ALG grippy for Mlock (whatever they call it). I'll call ALG and will ask if they'll ever do a 8" V2.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 12:00:50 PM EDT
[#15]
I talked with ALG. They said nothing is in the works for a 8" Mlock EMR. So I ordered a 10" V3, and will cut the last open mlock section off. I talked to a ALG rep and he did some measuring on the 10" rail for me. It looks like the rail will land at 8-8.25" long after I cut it down. Then I'll mil the upper rail section off to make a V2 type rail. It will drop a quarter oz in weight and will lower the overall profile so you can wrap your thumb over the top of the handguard. I'll post something up for pics as I void the warranty on my new rail.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:38:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Here you go OP.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_444/266521_.html&page=1
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top