BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/9/2015 9:11:08 PM EDT
Today I received my Shockwave Stabilizing Blade and had a chance to study and try out the brace/blade. It dramatically improved my weapon handling when resting against the inside of my forearm as designed but I was a little let down by the feel of the cheek weld method after being used to the CAA cheek saddle on the Thordsen buffer tube cover. It felt uncomfortable so I decided to install the cheek rest on it to aid with cheek welding. The blade is conveniently designed that it features a slot on both sides which just so happens to match up with the nubs on the cheek rest. I immediately felt an improvement which will surely aid me when I am at the range using the cheek weld method.

This method does not change the functionality of the blade as it does not interfere with any part of the blade which is the part that rests against your forearm and stabilizes your grip/aim. It still allows unobstructed access to the blade and loops if you desired to put a strap on it.

I hope this helps other shooters who have also had discomfort when trying to utilize the cheek weld method.

Here is a link to a letter from the ATF in which they address cheek saddles (CAA Saddle and MFT Saddle) LINK

"Saddle devices designed for "cheek enhancement" generally would not change a pistol's
classification to a "shorl-barreled rifle. " FTISB finds that the submitted saddle devices
are not designed to support the ARtype pistol in the shoulder of the shooter during firing
but, rather, to rest against the shooter's cheek."

Installed the new KAK Industry buffer tube made for the Shockwave Blade. It has 12 dimples which run along the bottom of the buffer tube so the screw can grab on with less chance of slipping on the tube. I also added a longer screw after losing the one that came with the blade.

Set on the first hole.

About halfway.

This is as far as it can go on the last hole.

Link Posted: 4/9/2015 9:29:07 PM EDT
[#1]
If I superglued on my Vltor emod, how would that be any different?

ETA: rhetorical question. Just calling out how silly the ATF and their SBR laws are. The obvious stock is obvious.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 9:39:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Vltor emod by definition is a stock.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 9:49:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Vltor emod by definition is a stock.
View Quote
I'd lay odds that the ATF would say the same about what you just built.

Link Posted: 4/10/2015 12:12:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks like a brace with a cheekrest.

Do not shoulder in front of Holder and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 12:37:48 AM EDT
[#5]
What is the brand and name of that thumb rest on your rail?
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 12:42:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What is the brand and name of that thumb rest on your rail?
View Quote

GoGun Gas Pedal. It feels great in conjunction with the angled grip.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 3:47:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Is the only thing holding the CCA saddle in place the small bolt connector on the bottom though the opening on the blade or did you also adhere it in another location?  This looks like the perfect solution for many of us in my book.  I'm gonna guess that the BATFE might frown upon it though.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 4:19:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Is the only thing holding the CCA saddle in place the small bolt connector on the bottom though the opening on the blade or did you also adhere it in another location?  This looks like the perfect solution for many of us in my book.  I'm gonna guess that the BATFE might frown upon it though.
View Quote

As of now, I simply put some heavy duty double sided tape between the blade and saddle at the rear top part as a temporary solution as I need a longer screw to tighten down the ends but it's surprisingly solid as it is.

Also, Kak Industry just released a new buffer tube made just for the Shockwave Blade which features some small detent holes so the blade can be adjusted without worrying about slipping and scratching the tube, I have two coming, I'll post pics when I get them.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 5:37:47 PM EDT
[#9]
gvazquez, were you the one who got the denial letter from the ATF about mounting a KAC sling mount at the end of the Thordsen cover? I thought that was a slick idea, but if they denied that, I don't see how the Thordsen + Shockwave is OK. But then, what do I know?
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 6:31:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
gvazquez, were you the one who got the denial letter from the ATF about mounting a KAC sling mount at the end of the Thordsen cover? I thought that was a slick idea, but if they denied that, I don't see how the Thordsen + Shockwave is OK. But then, what do I know?
View Quote

Yes. The main issue ATF had with the previous idea is that it created a "flat vertical contact surface". The cheek rest I added does NOT add any vertical contact surface area since the Blade itself remains thin.

Link Posted: 4/10/2015 7:22:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yes. The main issue ATF had with the previous idea is that it created a "flat vertical contact surface". The cheek rest I added does NOT add any vertical contact surface area since the Blade itself remains thin.

http://i.imgur.com/7kGnhgz.jpg?2
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Understood, we're talking about the ATF and the rediculous decisions that they make. but, if you showed them to someone unfamiliar with any of the discussions and history about your two set ups, and asked them which one is a stock, I'll bet money that the brace/cheek rest would be their choice.

This ATF stuff has really become stupid.

Link Posted: 4/10/2015 8:40:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Understood, we're talking about the ATF and the rediculous decisions that they make. but, if you showed them to someone unfamiliar with any of the discussions and history about your two set ups, and asked them which one is a stock, I'll bet money that the brace/cheek rest would be their choice.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Recently the ATF made a statement in regards to cheek saddles like the CAA and MFT one. They stated:
Saddle devices designed for "cheek enhancement" generally would not change a pistol's
classification to a "shorl-barreled rifle. " FTISB finds that the submitted saddle devices
are not designed to support the ARtype pistol in the shoulder of the shooter during firing
but, rather, to rest against the shooter's cheek.

So based on what they just said, there is no way a cheek rest can support an AR pistol in the shoulder, and adding it to a stabilizer still doesn't make this physically possible either.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 9:48:55 PM EDT
[#13]
I might seriously take a regular M4 type stock, cut off the butt plate, and send it in to the ATF, asking if it's kocher.

Otherwise I'd just do it, but LLEAs are generally anti-gun Nazis.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 8:09:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I might seriously take a regular M4 type stock, cut off the butt plate, and send it in to the ATF, asking if it's kocher.
View Quote

Not kosher, has been attempted before and shot down.  Was posted on here several years ago, ATF "Once was stock is always a stock" type of reply.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 10:15:11 AM EDT
[#15]
I have zero comfort issues with the shockwave brace(I have 2 pistols using it). Therefore see no need for this.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 6:46:23 PM EDT
[#16]
To me it looks like it just adds weight to the pistol
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 8:03:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
To me it looks like it just adds weight to the pistol
View Quote

It weighs 7 oz. A milspec standard m4 stock is just under 7 oz.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 1:06:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Not kosher, has been attempted before and shot down.  Was posted on here several years ago, ATF "Once was stock is always a stock" type of reply.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ya, but the ATF took that back (like so many other things lately). Now I can just use a regular stock and redesign it by the way I use it.

And if a pistol brace can start out as a pistol brace, but be changed post manufacture to a stock if it touches your shoulder, a regular stock is a brace unless it is touching your shoulder.

Link Posted: 4/12/2015 9:23:49 PM EDT
[#19]
MK18 with Shockwave Blade

Link Posted: 4/12/2015 9:44:09 PM EDT
[#20]
I think it looks great!
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 2:24:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Ya, but the ATF took that back (like so many other things lately). Now I can just use a regular stock and redesign it by the way I use it.

And if a pistol brace can start out as a pistol brace, but be changed post manufacture to a stock if it touches your shoulder, a regular stock is a brace unless it is touching your shoulder.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/15/2015 6:30:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why do you need permission? If there is not a law that specifically sais its illegal, than it's perfectly legal.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 10:41:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This would hold water if you were dealing with an entity whose decisions and practices were based on logic.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 9:37:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This would hold water if you were dealing with an entity whose decisions and practices were based on logic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would love to see them argue there position in court.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:20:30 AM EDT
[#25]
is there an official letter from atf saying this brace is approved for sale?
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:31:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Sorry, but the addition of the buffer tube made it a stock.  You now have an illegal SBR.  Congratulations.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:07:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Sorry, but the addition of the buffer tube made it a stock.  You now have an illegal SBR.  Congratulations.
View Quote

The AR needs a buffer tube to operate.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 10:29:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

02er's going to 02.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 2:31:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
''

Absolutely. It comes with it too.

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 2:43:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Love it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 7:46:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Why do you need permission? If there is not a law that specifically sais its illegal, than it's perfectly legal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am considering this as well.  If an arm brace is magically "redesigned" into a buttstock by simply putting it to your shoulder, a cut-off buttstock should be able to "redesigned" into a buffer cover with adjustable cheek weld with a pass through a bandsaw and some cleanup on the belt sander.
Sorry for the hijack, OP.

Best,
JBR
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:37:50 PM EDT
[#32]
gvazquez,  That is a very nice looking build.  Any chance getting the specs on that rig?  Real interested in the specs of that upper.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:51:24 AM EDT
[#33]

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 1:50:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Really nice brace of pistols.

I've always thought that two identical ones would look nice as a set with some sort of drop leg holsters, update for the contemporary gunslinger.

- OS
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:39:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
gvazquez,  That is a very nice looking build.  Any chance getting the specs on that rig?  Real interested in the specs of that upper.
View Quote

Hera Arms Billet Upper
Hera Arms Compensator
7.5" barrel
Centurion Rail
YHM Front Sight
Matech Rear Sight
Magpul Angled grip
gogun gas pedal
80% Arms Lower
KNS Antiwalk pins
KAK Industry Shockwave Blade buffer tube
Bravo Pistol Grip
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:27:40 PM EDT
[#36]
thank you
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 3:11:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Looks like my Thordsen with a fin on it. Looks good!
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:26:32 PM EDT
[#38]
I posted this letter in another folder but as of a year ago the ATF doesn't consider a Sig, ShockWave or Thorsden a buttstock and it can be legally shouldered. A vertical handgrip on a pistol length firearm is a different story - add one & it becomes a SBR. Mag-Pul angled foregrip is OK. Go figure.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:33:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I posted this letter in another folder but as of a year ago the ATF doesn't consider a Sig, ShockWave or Thorsden a buttstock and it can be legally shouldered. A vertical handgrip on a pistol length firearm is a different story - add one & it becomes a SBR. Mag-Pul angled foregrip is OK. Go figure.
View Quote

You've been vacationing on Mars perhaps?

- Open letter early this year regarding braces on pistols has negated all previous letters, and states that use against the shoulder redesigns it to be an NFA firearm
- You may use a VFG on a pistol if it is 26" or more in legal overall length

You can do the Googling/ARCOM search, tends to stick better when one has to do the work.

- OS
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 2:49:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Are you shaving the top sling loop on the brace, before you put the saddle on?
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 3:46:50 PM EDT
[#41]
I cant see how this is going to end well.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 4:15:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

- Open letter early this year regarding braces on pistols has negated all previous letters, and states that use against the shoulder redesigns it to be an NFA firearm

You can do the Googling/ARCOM search, tends to stick better when one has to do the work.

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

This is why I NEVER shoulder my non NFA firearm....I always put it just above my nipple
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 12:44:49 AM EDT
[#43]
And here I was, all content with my recent Thordsen cheek rest kit setup on my new pistol... NOW I need to get a Shockwave brace after finally deciding it wasn't my cup of tea. Thanks a LOT!!
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 1:32:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
''

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
''

I keep a copy of my ATF letter that came with my Shockwave
inside the CAA cheek rest I have installed on it.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 2:05:11 PM EDT
[#45]
OP how many times did you have to throw that down the driveway to get that finish just right?  

Seriously though it is one of the better battle worn type finishes I have seen.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 9:41:49 PM EDT
[#46]

I come back to these pictures to look at several times a day! The worn-look one is OUTSTANDING!!!
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 11:39:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Are you shaving the top sling loop on the brace, before you put the saddle on?
View Quote

I'm wondering this as well. Any insight? Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 5:25:34 AM EDT
[#48]
how is that not a stock?
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 7:49:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 8:21:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
how is that not a stock?
View Quote

Because it is not a stock. It is blading at 45 degrees.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top