Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/18/2014 10:23:18 AM EDT
First pistol build.  Bought the SB15 and need a tube.  Between the KAK Super Sig and the Phase 5 Hex 2, what is everyone's thoughts / preferences and why?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 10:54:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't speak for the KAK but I have the phase V hex 2 on my 300 BLK pistol and I love it. Great LOP and it looks good too. Quality product.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 11:12:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Subscribed, Very interested in this also, starting my first pistol build and would like to know which one is better.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 11:39:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I went with the KAK myself.  Personally, I feel the Phase 5 Hex looks lamazing by itself, but when attached to the rifle/pistol it looks out of place, not matching any of the lines.  Depending on your rail you may be able to pull it off, but I have just not seen any pictures where I think to myself that looks like it belongs. Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 1:02:30 PM EDT
[#4]
KAK Super SB15.

The hex is dumb in my opinion. It gives the same increase in LOP but gives no increase in OAL that the KAK tube gives you.

KAK gives you the option of running a VFG if you use a 10.5" barrel.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 1:13:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Neither. I got this one instead:
http://damageindustriesllc.com/product/receiver-extension-buffer-tube-pistol-wqd-socket
It accepts the SIG brace and works great. I had to use this instead of the KAK to keep my build short enough to conform to MI's gay-ass OAL law for pistols.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 1:45:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
KAK Super SB15.

The hex is dumb in my opinion. It gives the same increase in LOP but gives no increase in OAL that the KAK tube gives you.

View Quote

This...I personally don't like the look of the Phase 5.  I wouldn't call it dumb though.  Both are quality either way you go. and for reference....Here is one with the KAK I just finished this weekend.  I wouldn't be ashamed to have either on the gun.  

" />
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 1:47:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Neither. I got this one instead:
http://damageindustriesllc.com/product/receiver-extension-buffer-tube-pistol-wqd-socket
It accepts the SIG brace and works great. I had to use this instead of the KAK to keep my build short enough to conform to MI's gay-ass OAL law for pistols.
View Quote

That's a nice option too. and they have a blem one for sale OP.

Blemished Pistol Tube
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 4:26:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Personally I like the style of the Phase 5 Tactical Buffer Tube.  Don't think it is "dumb" at all.  I think it looks really good and is very functional.  I would respectfully disagree with it not matching the lines of the gun.  It perfectly matches the shape of the SIG brace as you can see in my pictures.  If anything a straight/round tube doesn't match the lines of the brace at all and might look more "dumb" if that is your concern. :)

One thing I didn't like about the KAK version (even though it is cleaner if you don't like the look of the Hex buffer tube) is that it screws directly into the lower with no castle nut.  I prefer the fact that Phase 5's uses a castle nut.  I've heard (no personal experience) that the KAK can loosen up since there is no castle nut locking it down.

Not sure why you'd want a QD sling attachment at the end of the tube.  It doesn't seam to me that it would assist with stability when firing (too close to your body) and if you use a SIG brace then it won't even work to begin with.  Also, the gun would hang too far down on your body if the Single Point Sling was attached there.

I have a Magpul Ambi sling attachment that also functions as the end plate for the receiver.  Honestly, it rattles too much.  As soon as Phase 5 gets their SPS swivel ambi attachment in stock I'm going to switch it out.

Just some food for thought.

Just finished my first AR build of any kind last Saturday.

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 4:46:40 PM EDT
[#9]
The KAK Super tube does use a castle nut. See the photo above yours.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 4:50:10 PM EDT
[#10]
^^^^^You're right.  My bad. :)^^^^^
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 5:29:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Personally I like the style of the Phase 5 Tactical Buffer Tube.  Don't think it is "dumb" at all.  I think it looks really good and is very functional.  I would respectfully disagree with it not matching the lines of the gun.  It perfectly matches the shape of the SIG brace as you can see in my pictures.  If anything a straight/round tube doesn't match the lines of the brace at all and might look more "dumb" if that is your concern. :)

One thing I didn't like about the KAK version (even though it is cleaner if you don't like the look of the Hex buffer tube) is that it screws directly into the lower with no castle nut.  I prefer the fact that Phase 5's uses a castle nut.  I've heard (no personal experience) that the KAK can loosen up since there is no castle nut locking it down.

Not sure why you'd want a QD sling attachment at the end of the tube.  It doesn't seam to me that it would assist with stability when firing (too close to your body) and if you use a SIG brace then it won't even work to begin with.  Also, the gun would hang too far down on your body if the Single Point Sling was attached there.

I have a Magpul Ambi sling attachment that also functions as the end plate for the receiver.  Honestly, it rattles too much.  As soon as Phase 5 gets their SPS swivel ambi attachment in stock I'm going to switch it out.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f239/afletcher1965/ar1_zpsf76c5ee0.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f239/afletcher1965/ar2_zps6826953e.jpg

View Quote

That's an incredibly good looking pistol.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 8:32:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I think the early version of the KAK tube didn't use a castle nut, so its an easy mistake to make.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 8:43:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I think the early version of the KAK tube didn't use a castle nut, so its an easy mistake to make.
View Quote

You can still buy either version. Some folks like the original better in aesthetic sense.

- OS
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 8:46:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The hex ... gives the same increase in LOP but gives no increase in OAL that the KAK tube gives you.
View Quote

This is why I picked the KAK.  The Phase 5 looks nice but the KAK is better if you want a VFG.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 9:47:07 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

KAK Super SB15.

View Quote
The actual hex part of the hex 2 looks pretty long to me, are you sure it's not an increase in OAL over the sigtube?

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 10:31:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The actual hex part of the hex 2 looks pretty long to me, are you sure it's not an increase in OAL over the sigtube?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
KAK Super SB15.

I haven't actually measured the exact lop with the brace on. I just meant it had the same function of increasing lop except the hex tube didn't increase OAL. I'm sure someone has both and could measure lop between the two, I only have the kak tube.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 10:34:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
KAK Super SB15.

Overall length of HEX tube is stated on various sites that sell them as 7 3/8", about the same as a conventional pistol buffer tube. It only achieves its extra length of pull with the brace because the brace is offset past the end of the tube.

Phase 5 doesn't give OAL, or even length of tube past receiver, but says:

"Length of pull (LOP) measurement with Sig Stabilizing Brace installed: Measured from the back of the lower receiver End Plate to the very end of the Sig Brace is 9 1/2 inches."

Not even sure exactly what to make of that since "back of receiver to end of brace" is not LOP.

- OS
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:26:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Does anybody out there have both?  Maybe a side by side comparison is in order.  I would volunteer but if my wife catches me buying anymore parts online she is likely to skin me alive.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:36:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Does anybody out there have both?  Maybe a side by side comparison is in order.  I would volunteer but if my wife catches me buying anymore parts online she is likely to skin me alive.
View Quote

^^^^This^^^^
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:09:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f239/afletcher1965/ar1_zpsf76c5ee0.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f239/afletcher1965/ar2_zps6826953e.jpg

View Quote

Very nice!
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:16:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for the kind comments on my pistol.  It is greatly appreciated.

I'll measure my Phase 5 Hex tube tonight and get you the measurements.  I have mine slid all the way to the base of the Hex part of the tube.  It was a really tight fit so you could probably cheat a little and get some more length but I wanted to make sure it was secure and wouldn't slide forward when in use...plus it just looks better. I do know that when you slide the SIG brace over it there is about 3 inches of space between the end of the tube and the end of the brace.  When you buy the complete kit from Phase 5 it has a plug that goes in the hole to provide extra storage space in the brace and also gives it a finished look.

Here is a direct side view...

UPDATE:  One other consideration is the material that is used to make the tube.  The Hex 2 is heavy duty USA certified 7075 T7 billet aluminum. Does anyone know what KAK uses?

Also on the length question this is what I found on the Phase 5 and KAK websites:

Phase 5 Hex 2: Length of pull (LOP) measurement with Sig Stabilizing Brace installed: Measured from the back of the lower receiver End Plate to the very end of the Sig Brace is 9 1/2 inches.  The tube is 7 3/8" so you'd be looking at about 2 1/8" of storage between the end of the tube and the end of the SIG brace.  The weight is 6.04 ounces.

KAK: THIS TUBE EXTENDS FROM THE RECEIVER 8.45" FROM THE ENDPLATE.  It weighs 6.2 ounces.

Hope this helps...

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:34:01 AM EDT
[#22]
What sling is that?
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:35:05 AM EDT
[#23]
I got it from Phase 5 Tactical.  It is the Single-Point Bungee Sling - Kryptek Typhon.  I also got the matching SIG pistol brace upgrade straps in Kryptek Typhon.  It comes with 2 straps (one for back-up).  I'm eventually going to get my receivers hydro-dipped in the Krytek Typhon pattern.

They have the sling in 12 different colors/patterns.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 12:57:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I got it from Phase 5 Tactical.  It is the Single-Point Bungee Sling - Kryptek Typhon.  I also got the matching SIG pistol brace upgrade straps in Kryptek Typhon.  It comes with 2 straps (one for back-up).  I'm eventually going to get my receivers hydro-dipped in the Krytek Typhon pattern.

They have the sling in 12 different colors/patterns.

https://phase5wsi.com/single-point-bungee-kryptek-typhon.html

View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:21:14 PM EDT
[#25]
I went with MI's pistol tube for the sig brace and have no regrets.  Great product, no frills, angles or curves, very utilitarian.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:58:49 AM EDT
[#26]
I ordered the KAK and it is on it's way to build my first pistol. So everybody is saying that it gives you enough OAL to meet the "weapon" status with a 10.5". About how much over the 26" does it go? I ordered a Daniel Defense 10.3" upper for mine and am wondering if it will be enough to clear the 26".
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 2:24:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I ordered the KAK and it is on it's way to build my first pistol. So everybody is saying that it gives you enough OAL to meet the "weapon" status with a 10.5". About how much over the 26" does it go? I ordered a Daniel Defense 10.3" upper for mine and am wondering if it will be enough to clear the 26".
View Quote

Hard to tell precisely, but a 10.5" barrel with the KAK is at least 26.5", so a 10.3 will still get there.

- OS
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:01:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Hard to tell precisely, but a 10.5" barrel with the KAK is at least 26.5", so a 10.3 will still get there.

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

Thanks. That is good to know.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:43:00 PM EDT
[#29]
I have 1 of the original KAK (non castle nut), and a Hex 2 phase 5.  I like the 7075 and the quality of the Phase 5, and design, it can use a cap in the rear for a storage compartment.   If KAK would make a gen 2 out of 7075 and was bored out enough to use the vltor A5 buffer setup I would swap what I have now for those in a heart beat.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:51:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have 1 of the original KAK (non castle nut), and a Hex 2 phase 5.  I like the 7075 and the quality of the Phase 5, and design, it can use a cap in the rear for a storage compartment.   If KAK would make a gen 2 out of 7075 and was bored out enough to use the vltor A5 buffer setup I would swap what I have now for those in a heart beat.
View Quote

Oh you would have to have that done as I am sure KAK wouldn't want to step on a patent infringe toes of Vltor,  Any machine shop worth their salt could mill it out I would suspect.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 3:34:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Oh you would have to have that done as I am sure KAK wouldn't want to step on a patent infringe toes of Vltor,  Any machine shop worth their salt could mill it out I would suspect.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They could sell it as an "AR-10 pistol buffer tube",  which would "coincidentally" happen to work with A5 system, and the AR-10 platform.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:05:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Here they are side by side. Phase 5 hex on top, Kak super in the middle, and brace at the bottom.

As you can see the Kak can fit completely in the brace (6.5") the Phase 5 only goes in about 3.5".

Phase 5 is about 6 7/8 inches to the back of the lower receiver.

Kak is about 8 5/8 inches to the back of the lower receiver.

And now that I have both I am not sure which one to use. I don't like the fact that the phase 5 is only about halfway into the brace.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:15:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Here they are side by side. Phase 5 hex on top, Kak super in the middle, and brace at the bottom.
http://i.imgur.com/ofmL6FT.jpg
As you can see the Kak can fit completely in the brace (6.5") the Phase 5 only goes in about 3.5".
http://i.imgur.com/ZAJGBgB.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/AGMq1JR.jpg

And now that I have both I am not sure which one to use. I don't like the fact that the phase 5 is only about halfway into the brace.
View Quote

KAK has advantage that you can also increase LOP with sleeves. Even though a sleeve also makes brace extend past end of tube, LOP with the KAK used that way is longer than the Phase 5 which uses that initial gap already as the max.

- OS
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:49:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Yeah, I mock fitted both and the LOP differences were not egregious. I will try to take some measurement tonight from the end of the stock to the trigger. That should be the true LOP measurement correct? Just want to make sure I don't give measurements that are crap.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:33:22 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/ofmL6FT.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ZAJGBgB.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/AGMq1JR.jpg

View Quote
They give you a plug for the back and it creates a storage area for....well I don't know what for but you could put some stuff in there lol.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:23:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
They give you a plug for the back and it creates a storage area for....well I don't know what for but you could put some stuff in there lol.  
View Quote

Mine didn't come with an endcap.
This is the one I got.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:50:01 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

This is the one I got.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This is the one I got.
That sucks.  Call them and tell them I bet they would send you one.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:30:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Yeah, I mock fitted both and the LOP differences were not egregious. I will try to take some measurement tonight from the end of the stock to the trigger. That should be the true LOP measurement correct? Just want to make sure I don't give measurements that are crap.
View Quote

Yep. LOP using KAK tube will be just under 12" with brace pushed on flush.,

My point before though, is that you can extend that with the spacers, while whatever the Phase 5 is it's already pretty much maxed out.

- OS
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:33:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Just wanted to share more pics. I ended up sticking with the KAK super because I like the LOP better that the Phase 5. The phase 5 has the cool anti-tilt stuff, not sure how useful it is nowadays though (Is it even useful for DI guns?).
Here is the KAK LOP at about 11 3/4 inches.

Here is the Phase 5 at about 12 3/4 inches.

I guess the only "downside" to the Kak is that it is 6061 instead of 7075 like the Phase 5. Still, personally I choose the Kak.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 3:24:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Just wanted to share more pics. I ended up sticking with the KAK super because I like the LOP better that the Phase 5. The phase 5 has the cool anti-tilt stuff, not sure how useful it is nowadays though (Is it even useful for DI guns?).
http://i.imgur.com/0nk9wnM.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/shnt6Si.jpg
I guess the only "downside" to the Kak is that it is 6061 instead of 7075 like the Phase 5. Still, personally I choose the Kak.
View Quote

Forgive my ignorance but could the Hex2 be screwed in further to show less threads?
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 3:39:53 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Forgive my ignorance but could the Hex2 be screwed in further to show less threads?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/0nk9wnM.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/shnt6Si.jpg

The distance it's screwed in is determined by the buffer retainer pin...

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top