Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2008 3:01:19 PM EDT
If I was to put a foot pad from a walker or cane on my pistol's buffer tube would it then be considered a SBR?
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 9:38:26 PM EDT
[#1]
No, then it becomes a short-barreled cane. Everyone knows that.
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 9:41:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Good luck with that.  Ask here.---> ARFcom Gen. Class3.
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 1:06:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 4:51:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Would seem to me that anything put on the end of the buffer tube which would make it more comfortable when placed against the shoulder would be considered a stock.
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 6:54:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Ooohh guys ... it's not for comfort ... it's to protect the exposed buffer tube end from being scratched and keeps you from scratching your gun cabinet when the pistol is stored vertically.

Theres rubber picatinny guards

Lens covers for scopes

Rubber feet on the bottom of bipods

Rubber pads on the bottom of sniper grips

Rubber pads for the bottom of magazines

The rubber cap on a buffer tube serves the exact same purpose. There is NO LAW against placing a rubber protective cap on ANYTHING regardless how one interprets the law.

That's actually a very good idea.
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 4:02:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
There is NO LAW against placing a rubber protective cap on ANYTHING regardless how one interprets the law.

That's actually a very good idea.

There's the problem.  You're trying to use logic and reason to get your answer.  That's not a necessary requirement for BATFE.

R.
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 5:00:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I hear ya, but by the same token ... one could assume that the foam on the buffer pad makes it more comfortable to tuck it under your arm (like a stock).

No one will fuss with someone if they have a buffer guard.

Link Posted: 9/1/2008 8:50:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I was also considering tool dipping the entire buffer tube to aid in its scratch resistance. At least that way there wouldn't be groves on the end that one might confuse with a stock. Then I’d reinstall the foam cover extra protection.
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 4:44:25 AM EDT
[#9]
You may what to just call the ATF directly and ask them as their the ones youll have to deal with if they object to it, not the guys here. Let us know what they say.
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 7:58:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Might not be a bad idea to get it in writing, so they can't go back on what they have told you. (Not that they can't go back on their word, but it will definitely make it more difficult for them.)
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 9:19:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Here's a photo of an AR pistol. Notice the foam covering the end of the buffer tube. This prevents the buffer tube from SCRATCHING things and from scratching the end of the tube:

Here's a pic showing the buffer tube with its end obviously susceptible to BEING scratched and SCRATCHING other precious things (like your gun cabinet):

Slide the foam down a bit and stick a 'protective rubber cap' over the buffer tube to prevent scratches/scratching.

The bottom of a crutch 'may' fit ... I don't know, but I'm gonna try that.

I sure wouldn't use something like this (the top of a crutch) because that's obviously a 'stock'

If protecting your buffer tube is illegal then I’m going to be a criminal and so are AR pistol manufacturers that sell foam that encapsulates THE END of the buffer tube.
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 12:40:44 PM EDT
[#12]
First of all, the tube is a stock.  The fact the ATF doesn't recognize that is beyond amazing!  Unfortunately, it will take only a whim on their part to change the recognition.  And in my opinion, it's only a matter of time before they do just that, and all it will take is someone or some company to do something stupid to activate their ire and declare it a stock.  It's something we should all remember when trying to push the envelope.  

Remember when you could buy steel core 7.62x39?  Can't any more, know why?
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 11:00:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Any more incriminating questions posted like this and I wouldn't be surprised if you find yourself mounted to the back of your buffer tube, courtesy of the ATF. h
And yes, I know you are exercising your 1st Amendment by posting, and so am I; but the d*** s*** ATF doesn't give a fuck.  I imagine most agents would love the opportunity to earn their under utilized asses a feather in the agency cap when given the opportunity.hinking.gif  

And no, I am not just a cynic, I just live in this corrupt world along with everyone else.
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 11:13:31 PM EDT
[#14]
From FIGJAM: "First of all, the tube is a stock"

Not so.  It isn't designed to function as a stock, it is part of the firearm's action.  If I put the pistol grip against my shoulder, would that make it a stock? Give me a flippin break already and just count your blessings and don't analyze it into another bullshit irrational hearing by the ATF.  My God people, just shoot it like a pistol and be done with it, since it isn't a long range contender in the first place.  Aim down the sights, pull trigger, see can (or gopher) go bounce, then listen to good music and drink beer at home: now everything seems better and simpler, doesn't it? hort
You want protection in public? - Glock CCW

You want to protect your land from predators and varmints? - AR15 Carbine

You want to become impotent? - play with metal tubes and rubberheads  
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 7:49:06 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
From FIGJAM: "First of all, the tube is a stock"

Not so.  It isn't designed to function as a stock, it is part of the firearm's action.  If I put the pistol grip against my shoulder, would that make it a stock?  

I respectively disagree.  The AR-15 was designed to be fired from the shoulder and removing the stock doesn't change much.  I see that you have discovered my little video and have found some merit in my claim by suggesting the other thread title be changed.  Don't worry, mine is not the only video on the internet.  YouTube has quite a few with other "idiots" firing their pistols in a manner disconcerting to you.  

Congratulations, however, on using language from the National Firearms Act which supports your position, so you win.  My position is based on a belief and not supported by the actual statute.  The language you've chosen more closely supports the statute and the ATF position that it's not a stock.  You are probably the first person to refute my opinions based on law and not a belief. So kudos to you sir.

See, the ATF does have to follow the law, just like you and me.  Nothing in the law makes that tube a stock and nothing in the law prevents me from firing my pistol pressed up against my shoulder.  

However, things change, like the Chinese steel core 7.62x39 ammo that I was so fond of.  Ah, those were the days.  It's too bad the ATF and Olympic Arms conspired to stop the Chinese from importing so much of it.  Not true, but a little something for you conspiracy theorists.

1994 Steel-Core Importation Ban
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 10:32:26 AM EDT
[#16]
By the way jutang, I already checked ... the rubber foot of a crutch is too small to fit. I also checked replacement rubber feed for canes; they are even smaller.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 7:56:01 AM EDT
[#17]
height=8
Quoted:
By the way jutang, I already checked ... the rubber foot of a crutch is too small to fit. I also checked replacement rubber feed for canes; they are even smaller.

Randy and jutang,

Here ya go...You can request a free sample at the bottom of this page.

http://www.gripworks.com/cushion-grips.htm

I ordered the Vynafoam part number 694550, which has an inside diameter of 1", but only has a length of 4.5"...

http://www.gripworks.com/stock-hand-grips.htm#stockfoamgrips

So, I just cut about 1 1/2" off the closed end grip and put that on the end of the tube...it's pretty much looks the same and is about the same outside diameter as the Ace covers.

I don't see how this could be considered illegal at all, as there is no way that this could be considered a stock. I have seen the Bushmaster pistols being sold in gun stores with a full closed end type cover on them as well.

JuJu
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 6:15:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Good find ... I'll have to order up a free sample.
Link Posted: 9/16/2008 5:27:17 AM EDT
[#19]

Here ya go...You can request a free sample at the bottom of this page.

www.gripworks.com/cushion-grips.htm

I ordered the Vynafoam part number 694550, which has an inside diameter of 1", but only has a length of 4.5"...

www.gripworks.com/stock-hand-grips.htm#stockfoamgrips

So, I just cut about 1 1/2" off the closed end grip and put that on the end of the tube...it's pretty much looks the same and is about the same outside diameter as the Ace covers.

JuJu

I live 15mins from there.  I might see if I can pick up a sample.
Link Posted: 9/16/2008 3:04:29 PM EDT
[#20]
height=8
Quoted:I live 15mins from there.  I might see if I can pick up a sample.

I don't live too far from there either...

Ever go to Advanced bullets shooting range in Villa Rica?
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 8:50:19 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:I live 15mins from there.  I might see if I can pick up a sample.

I don't live too far from there either...

Ever go to Advanced bullets shooting range in Villa Rica?

Never been to where your talking about are you sure we are talking about the same place?

GripWorks
123 Manufacturers Drive
Arnold, MO 63010

I just sent in my request for sample if it works well enough.
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 10:19:55 AM EDT
[#22]
height=8
Never been to where your talking about are you sure we are talking about the same place?

GripWorks
123 Manufacturers Drive
Arnold, MO 63010

I just sent in my request for sample if it works well enough.

Oooops...I guess not.

That must have been a distributor for them that I ordered from that was close to where I live.

I got a free sample first, then I called and actually placed an order, but I think they referred me to a place local to me...it's been so long, I can't remember.

My Bad...  Hope
http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/8807/arx05xc7.jpg
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 1:30:30 PM EDT
[#23]
thanks for the pic.

I was saying if it works well enough I will try to order a few.
Link Posted: 9/20/2008 5:27:15 AM EDT
[#24]
height=8
Quoted:
First of all, the tube is a stock.  The fact the ATF doesn't recognize that is beyond amazing!  Unfortunately, it will take only a whim on their part to change the recognition.  And in my opinion, it's only a matter of time before they do just that, and all it will take is someone or some company to do something stupid to activate their ire and declare it a stock.  It's something we should all remember when trying to push the envelope.  

Remember when you could buy steel core 7.62x39?  Can't any more, know why?

Shhh...don't tell them that
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top