Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/28/2017 6:23:59 AM EDT
I'm looking for ideas and info on building a 6.5 Grendel AR.

I'm completely unfamiliar with the cartridge. So, what length gas system is ideal? Barrel length?

Also, what are the pros and cons of the cartridge? What is it ideal for?

I currently don't have the option to reload, so should I maybe look at another cartridge?

I currently only have 5.56, Wylde and .300 BO ARs. I'd like to try something new.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:10:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Just mosey on over here

6.5 Grendel Forum
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:43:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I'm completely unfamiliar with the cartridge. So, what length gas system is ideal? Barrel length?

I currently don't have the option to reload, so should I maybe look at another cartridge?

I currently only have 5.56, Wylde and .300 BO ARs. I'd like to try something new.
View Quote

I pondered the 6.5G for a long time because of having two 6.8 SPC rifles. For me, it's just another flavor to enjoy as I personally don't find a distinct advantage of one over the other (6.8 and 6.5) for MY shooting needs and applications. BUT... with that said, I've really enjoyed shooting my first 6.5G build, which was built strictly for hunting from a tree stand using NV and an IR laser.

While I do reload, I've found PLEANTY of reasonable priced 6.5G ammo at two shops local to my travel patterns... and once I gather a sufficient supply of brass, I'll certainly reload for the rifle. Ammo in the stores has been running about $23 to $25 a box with three loads from Hornady readily available.

I'd say the cartridge has universal application... range fun banging steel at extended ranges, punching paper, and certainly for taking mid-size game such as deer and hogs.

My reading and research led me to believe that a 16" mid-length gas barrel with the original 6.5G chamber was the right way to go, and after seeing a fair deal on the EE, I made the jump. I ended up using the 16" Alexander Arms lite barrel and JP bolt (despite already having an AA marked spare bolt). The AA barrel is threaded 9/16x24 vs. the more common 5/8x24 but sourcing a FS or MB is not a problem.

I can't think of any negatives reference the 6.5G.

My rifle, which now sports a Inforce white/IR WML and Steiner OTAL:

Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:49:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I wanted to build a "Budget Upper" since I had a few parts already. Here is what I am doing....$460 total and still need mags and reloading dies and bullets and brass and rings and glass.... The real savings was the barrel so I could have dropped another $100-$200 on the barrel to make it a nicer build but this will be strictly a pig and deer rifle since I wanted something to carry with more knock down than 556 without jumping to 308 or 3006...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/711412_And-so-it-begins-or-Do-you-even-grendel-.html
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:10:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Various makers on barrel length, each have different gas system lengths  (16" - Carbine, 16" - mid, 18"  -Mid, 20" - Rifle, 22" - rifle, etc)

It's ideal to get 308 + ballistics in an AR15 receiver

Wolf has steel case 100 gr ammo, 500 rds. for about $115, Wolf Gold 120 gr Brass (Prvi) @ $16/box 20, and Hornaday 123 gr match ammo at $20/box 20.

You will need a barrel, bolt & mags to start

I got an AA 16" lite barrel, A2 FH, hard use bolt, and a 5 Elander mag deal (2 x 17 rd + 3 x 27 rd) all for $374 on a Black Friday special

Put it on a $200 Bear Creek side charger with Aero 15" Quantum HG, and a lower I had kicking around

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:30:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

All barrel lengths and gas system lengths work with it, from pistol to extended, but the most common are CLGS, MLGS, ILGS, and RLGS.

10.5"-14.5" is good with CLGS.
16"-18" is good with MLGS and .076" port.
18"-24" is good with RLGS.

What is it ideal for?  Doing a lot of things really well.

HD
Hunting
Target shooting with fast follow-up shots
Long Range

All in a lightweight AR15 package with very low recoil, but retained energy on target that rivals everything else you can put in the AR15 and stagger the cartridge stack in the magazine.  

A 10.5" Grendel with the 129gr ABLR has more retained energy at 400yds than a 20" .30-30 150gr Soft Point at 200yds.

6.5 Grendel Knocking Down 600yd steel, then rapid fire on 500yd

Link Posted: 3/28/2017 2:22:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I have an 20" & 18" both with rifle length gas system. I traded my16"with carbine gas system. I do like the rifle length a bit better, it seems to be a little softer shooting.  I have both the 6.8 and 6.5 and will always state under 300 yards you won't find much difference.  I think they make excellent kid's and first time shooter rifles just because they are fun to shoot. They don't beat a kid or a first time shooter up like a  .243 or  .308 can. That being said they are excellent medium game cartridges. Have fun with your build what ever you decide to go with.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 4:30:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Start with 16" barrel, mid-length gas system.

SAAMI chamber. Boltface depth of 0.136".

It is ideal for deer and pig hunting because it extends the range and hitting power of our favorite black rifle.

Don't reload? Hornady 123 SST for hunting. Hornady 123 ELD for target work. Federal 120 Fusion for hunting. Federal 90 TNT for varmints. Wolf 100 FMJ steel-case for blasting (23¢ per round).
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 11:25:23 AM EDT
[#8]
I am building one, 18" midlength AA barrel (top pick so far, I haven't ordered it yet) with the 6.5g forum group buy bolt.

Going to be something of a hunting/target rifle.

FWIW I also have a 20" 5.56 and a 16" 7.62x39.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 12:46:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am building one, 18" midlength AA barrel (top pick so far, I haven't ordered it yet) with the 6.5g forum group buy bolt.

Going to be something of a hunting/target rifle.

FWIW I also have a 20" 5.56 and a 16" 7.62x39.
View Quote
I have a 18" AA fluted barrel.  I like it.  It shoots well under a inch with hornady amax, the sst's are a hair over 1" and the wolf is around 2".
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 3:13:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Lots of potential with the Grendel.  Very potent cartridge for this size weapon and the long-range capability is surprisingly solid.  I've not found many gas guns / semi-autos that can pull of this level of performance.

Mine:
24" Satern bull barrel
Aero Precision builder set (Gen 2 upper with monolithic rail) in Stealth Grey upper/lower/15" handguard
JP 0.936" adjustable gas block
Satern helical muzzle device
Geissele SSA-E two-stage
LUTH-AR MBA-1 Adjustable Stock
Burris PEPR 30mm mount
Vortex PST 6-20x50mm

I was ringing the 880 yard gong after about 20 rounds of sight-in and velocity gathering.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top