Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/15/2014 12:45:42 PM EDT
Guys, I just ordered a 22" 6.5 Creedmoor barrel threaded for future suppressor use. I am looking to put something on in the meantime for thread protection. Should I just order a standard thread protector or add a fance comp or something to it. I don't want it to be ungodly loud so I am thinking about just a standard FH, will this affect the LR accuracy? what are you guys with threaded barrel AR's running on your long range guns?
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 12:55:37 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are tactically minded, whatever that is, a FH makes alot ofsence if you someday might be shot back at, concealing your flash is a good idea, however a suppressor conceals the flash and the boom, and using a good brake will act as a sacrificial baffle and lend to less wear and tear on your can ovr the life of the can. If you are going to run the gun alot with a can then put a brake on it, if not then do a FH.

It is really up to you at the end of the day.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 2:32:15 PM EDT
[#2]
will a FH affect accuracy any?
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 6:15:46 PM EDT
[#3]
it all depends, a cheap shitty one that messes with bbl harmonics could adversly affect your accuracy then again maybe it might just be a bbl issue.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 7:08:36 PM EDT
[#4]
6.5 Creedmoor AR...very nice.  Since getting my Grendel I've become quite a fan of the 6.5 in it's various configurations.  Should make one heck of a long range gun, a little heavy for toting around on a hunt but otherwise just about perfect.  

If you are planning on putting a suppressor in the near future I'd just go with a thread protector.  You don't have to mess with timing it or anything so it's easy on and off when you aren't using the suppressor.  A brake is great for faster follow up shots if you aren't going to get that suppressor for awhile.  The noise issue isn't really an issue if you are using some kind of ear protection and that's going to be most of the time anyway.  There are some flash hiders that also operate as sort of a brake but if you are going to get your suppressor soon I wouldn't bother.

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 12:21:44 PM EDT
[#5]
the suppressor may be a while so I am looking at just a FA or Comp now. Anyone have any recommendations? something that looks good preferably also. I know that sounds dumb but I like things to work and look good not just one or the other.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 1:26:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I have an AAC flash hider and AAC break for my 6.5 guns.  I did a test similar to what you are talking about just to confirm that it wasn't pulling me off too much.  I saw no point of impact between the thread protector, flash hider and break at 300 meters.  I didn't test all the way through my range card simply shot a 5 round group from each out of my gap bolt gun.  I have a pretty cheap chrony and did not see a plottable change in my SD between velocities either.  This was all with 120 grain amaxs.

I don't believe accuracy is really affected much but I am by no means an expert on this just happen to have some of the same gear you are talking about.  I am waiting patiently for my state to fix can laws.  I would honestly bring this over to snipers hide as you will likely get more professionals to answer.  You could also see if any members of team blaster are on the forum here and send a message.  

In terms of which one to get well that depends a lot on what can you are hosting.  Some companies have both FH and break designs others don't.  I would prefer a FH in a 'tactical' setting where you are worried about someone seeing your muzzle flash while I would be more concerned with minimizing recoil if I am shooting for sport and don't need to worry about someone seeing the report.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 2:50:37 PM EDT
[#7]
This looks pretty good.  I don't own one yet though.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 4:09:21 PM EDT
[#8]
FH vs. MB will be the least of your worries with a 6.5CM gasser.  Primer cratering and piercing will, especially when you throw the can on it.

I've been dealing with this with the .260 Remington AR10 and a lot of .308 AR10's for years.  Someone sent me an enlarged firing pin that I have been testing, and so far so good with 129gr SST loaded on top of H4350 @ 2800fps.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 11:23:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Putting a suppressor on a 22" barrel? Yikes, that's gonna be heavy way out there.  What kind of profile does the barrel have? You might end up with a lot of POI shift with the barrel being so long
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:20:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
FH vs. MB will be the least of your worries with a 6.5CM gasser.  Primer cratering and piercing will, especially when you throw the can on it.

I've been dealing with this with the .260 Remington AR10 and a lot of .308 AR10's for years.  Someone sent me an enlarged firing pin that I have been testing, and so far so good with 129gr SST loaded on top of H4350 @ 2800fps.
View Quote

I have read about this, Have you tried an adjustable gas block?
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:32:15 AM EDT
[#11]
i'm of no help, i'll be running a suppressor on my long range ar build.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 11:20:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This looks pretty good.  I don't own one yet though.
View Quote

I have the taper mount version of this. I'm not sure if you can use other suppressors, or only their's. But it looks good and performs good. You can also get a Smith Vortex flash hider. Those are pretty much the best at hiding flash. Plus, you don't have to time them, and I don't think they will affect accuracy at all.

I'm looking to swap out my Griffin flash/Comp for the BCM gunfighter comp. So, if anyone wants a Griffin.......
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 12:00:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've used many adjustable gas blocks over the years, but I've come to look at them under a different light.

Is placing a choke on the gas port really a good idea, especially on one of my high end barrels?  Gas needs to flow through the port without being impeded. The moment you choke it, you concentrate the heat and pressure into an area where there are sharp corners, right angles, and rough edges in the steel.  This can cause early erosion, especially in a cartridge like the .260 Remington, where we rely on slow-burning powders to push long projectiles, starting with some pretty high chamber pressures and higher than intended port pressures for the system.

It makes more sense to me to have a good port diameter cut, rather than choking an enlarged port, especially with .260 Rem/6.5CM/6.5x47 pressure curves.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 8:50:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Flash hider
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 10:00:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a Kaw Valley Linear Compensator (http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Kaw_Valley_Precision_30cal_Linear_Comp_5_8x24_Blac_p/kvp-linear308-blk.htm )on my 6.5 Grendel.  I could definitely tell a difference in recoil and noise level compared to a regular bird cage flash suppressor.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top