Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/17/2012 9:51:03 AM EDT
Would like a 20-24" barrel. Any suggestions.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/17/2012 9:53:10 AM EDT
[#1]
What is your budget?
Link Posted: 1/17/2012 9:59:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Armalite if you can afford it..
Link Posted: 1/17/2012 10:06:18 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I own an LMT MWS, and a 20" precision rig built on a Mega upper / lower receiver set.  I agree with the post above.  I think Armalite is the best "bang for the buck" in the 308 AR platform, and they now offer models that will take the SR25 style mags...

Link Posted: 1/17/2012 10:10:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I like the Colt 308 AR.

With a mag well insert, you can mount and use a standard AR15 upper on the Colt 308 lower.
Link Posted: 1/17/2012 10:12:42 AM EDT
[#5]
I think the MWS is hard to beat for the money. Very accurate, very reliable and offers a lot of modularity to change caliber and barrel length.
Link Posted: 1/17/2012 10:43:41 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I think the MWS is hard to beat for the money. Very accurate, very reliable and offers a lot of modularity to change caliber and barrel length.

I own an MWS, and the points you mention were part of the reason I purchased it (over the OBR and Armalite).  However, in reality I'd rather just have additional uppers to swap onto my lower.  Quickness of change, ability to keep optics dialed in, etc.  

Link Posted: 1/17/2012 11:04:15 AM EDT
[#7]
The best bang for the buck is to build a DPMS LR308
Link Posted: 1/17/2012 12:10:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

this....moa at 2/3rds the cost of the a fore mentioned products.
Link Posted: 1/17/2012 12:35:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I disagree.  IMO, the Armalite is worth it.  Furthermore, their designs are actually being tested in battle.  Knights, LMT, and Armalite are the only AR10 manufacturers I know of where their designs are being tested, and refined, in real-world conditions by armies of the world.  LaRue hints around that his stuff is being used by secret squirrel types, but I've seen nothing official.  
When the government is buying the ammo, you're going to be able to test a platform far beyond the extent of any civilian design, just due to the round count available.  When you pay a little more for those designs, you are buying into this amount of R&D and refinement.  It also means something to me that the guys using use the above platforms all seem to like them (based on what I've seen, as a non-.mil type), and literally have their lives at stake daily.
To me, the LMT and Armalite are worth the extra $.  Keep in mind, these can often be found for not much more than a comparable DPMS.  DPMS SASS found online for $1850.  Armalite AR10 SASS found online for $2350.  That's a worthy difference, IMO, and the Armalite includes a switchblock.  My brand-new LMT MWS cost ~ $2300.
I built my Mega 20" precision from good components (PRS stock, Troy BUIS, Apex hand guard, Rainier Ultramatch barrel, Armalite BCG, etc etc), and this gun cost the same, or possibly slightly more, than just buying an Armalite SASS from the get go.
I guess it just all depends on what you want.  I think the above manufacturers are worthy of a slightly higher price, and I've used my personal $ to vote that way.  I think they're still a great value.

I'm not a gun snob, and I'm frugal.  I've got Rock River, Del Ton, S&W, Spikes, Palmetto, BCM, etc rollmarks on the sides of my AR's.    When I buy, I try to do it on value.  I feel the quality / features differential between the manufacturers above and DPMS is larger than the price differential between them.

Link Posted: 1/17/2012 12:43:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I like the Colt 308 AR.

With a mag well insert, you can mount and use a standard AR15 upper on the Colt 308 lower.

Wow!

Just watched a video on it. Finally somebody is thinking.

Link Posted: 1/17/2012 12:48:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I own an LMT MWS, and a 20" precision rig built on a Mega upper / lower receiver set.  I agree with the post above.  I think Armalite is the best "bang for the buck" in the 308 AR platform, and they now offer models that will take the SR25 style mags...

Someone hinted this might be released at SHOT... can you point me to info that confirms this?  
Link Posted: 1/17/2012 12:58:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Someone hinted this might be released at SHOT... can you point me to info that confirms this?  

The thread here on AR15:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_27/213705_INTRODUCING_THE_NEW__AR_10A_.html
And the tech notes on their site:

http://www.armalite.com/images/Tech%20Notes%5CTech%20Note%20101%20%20AR-10A%20AR-10B%20%20M15%20COMPONENTS%20120109%20Rev%201%20FINAL.pdf

Link Posted: 1/17/2012 1:52:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Armalite or CMMG 3088 SASS
Link Posted: 1/17/2012 2:22:50 PM EDT
[#14]
My opinion is the CMMG 18" SASS for $1400+shipping of $20-$40. Their isn't a better option. It's a tack driver and comes with 2 Pmags!!
Link Posted: 1/17/2012 3:43:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I disagree.  IMO, the Armalite is worth it.  Furthermore, their designs are actually being tested in battle.  Knights, LMT, and Armalite are the only AR10 manufacturers I know of where their designs are being tested, and refined, in real-world conditions by armies of the world.  LaRue hints around that his stuff is being used by secret squirrel types, but I've seen nothing official.  

When the government is buying the ammo, you're going to be able to test a platform far beyond the extent of any civilian design, just due to the round count available.  When you pay a little more for those designs, you are buying into this amount of R&D and refinement.  It also means something to me that the guys using use the above platforms all seem to like them (based on what I've seen, as a non-.mil type), and literally have their lives at stake daily.

To me, the LMT and Armalite are worth the extra $.  Keep in mind, these can often be found for not much more than a comparable DPMS.  DPMS SASS found online for $1850.  Armalite AR10 SASS found online for $2350.  That's a worthy difference, IMO, and the Armalite includes a switchblock.  My brand-new LMT MWS cost ~ $2300.

I built my Mega 20" precision from good components (PRS stock, Troy BUIS, Apex hand guard, Rainier Ultramatch barrel, Armalite BCG, etc etc), and this gun cost the same, or possibly slightly more, than just buying an Armalite SASS from the get go.

I guess it just all depends on what you want.  I think the above manufacturers are worthy of a slightly higher price, and I've used my personal $ to vote that way.  I think they're still a great value.

I'm not a gun snob, and I'm frugal.  I've got Rock River, Del Ton, S&W, Spikes, Palmetto, BCM, etc rollmarks on the sides of my AR's.    When I buy, I try to do it on value.  I feel the quality / features differential between the manufacturers above and DPMS is larger than the price differential between them.

Not to come across like an a$$ but he said 'best bang for the buck' and when a moa rifle is 900-1300 and you are suggesting the higher end armalite at 2300 then I have to laugh and shake my head.  We are talking a difference of almost half in price!  Besides, for 2300 he could just spend to 200 more and then get the gap.

op....bang for buck is performance at a great price and nothing comes close to the dpms in this regard.

If you want higher end, then you look at the GAP (non piston that is)
Link Posted: 1/17/2012 6:23:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Not to come across like an a$$ but he said 'best bang for the buck' and when a moa rifle is 900-1300 and you are suggesting the higher end armalite at 2300 then I have to laugh and shake my head.  We are talking a difference of almost half in price!  Besides, for 2300 he could just spend to 200 more and then get the gap.

op....bang for buck is performance at a great price and nothing comes close to the dpms in this regard.

If you want higher end, then you look at the GAP (non piston that is)

That was the type of rifle I was searching for, and some of the thought process I went through.

Here's an Eagle Arms (Armalite) AR10 for $1080:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/72129-1.html

Or an actual Armalite for $1195:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/2ARML10A4CBF-1.html

You don't have to spend $2k +...that's just the rifle I was looking at.

Link Posted: 1/17/2012 6:27:32 PM EDT
[#17]
yes but there are countless threads here on armalite lower end models having issues and the other guys mentioned the SASS which is higher end.  Now Armalite does make a nice national match upper for around 1100 that the Army sniper teams use but you would still need to get a lower, nice trigger, decent stock etc....

for the price, performance, and add ons, you cannot beat the dpms.

For the record, I really like the GAP, Repr, and OBR but again, you are touching almost 3gs there.

CMMG's dmr version has gotten some nice reviews as well.
Link Posted: 1/17/2012 11:10:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 5:18:17 AM EDT
[#19]
ArmaLite AR-10B for M14 mags.
ArmaLite AR-10A for SR-25 mags.
Second choice would be the CMMG .308 with the SR-25 mags.
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 12:53:15 PM EDT
[#20]
A guy at the range last weekend sitting next to me had an Armalite.  He told me so far it's shooting like shit like 2moa at 100 yards, with a nice scope.

This guy was a serious shooter, had a ton of different loads he made for it, and he still couldn't get it to shoot well.  I saw him put down several sub-moa groups with his other guns so the problem was almost certainly the gun.
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 1:05:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Was he shooting 168 gr bullets? AR10 will do that with 150 gr

Quoted:
A guy at the range last weekend sitting next to me had an Armalite.  He told me so far it's shooting like shit like 2moa at 100 yards, with a nice scope.

This guy was a serious shooter, had a ton of different loads he made for it, and he still couldn't get it to shoot well.  I saw him put down several sub-moa groups with his other guns so the problem was almost certainly the gun.

Link Posted: 1/18/2012 1:07:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Most of the lower end issues are from using Gen I mags. I posted one of the threads. Armalite has a much better track record than DPMS on quality and customer service. The CMMG .308 ARs look good too.

Quoted:
yes but there are countless threads here on armalite lower end models having issues and the other guys mentioned the SASS which is higher end.  Now Armalite does make a nice national match upper for around 1100 that the Army sniper teams use but you would still need to get a lower, nice trigger, decent stock etc....

for the price, performance, and add ons, you cannot beat the dpms.

For the record, I really like the GAP, Repr, and OBR but again, you are touching almost 3gs there.

CMMG's dmr version has gotten some nice reviews as well.

Link Posted: 1/18/2012 1:26:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Was he shooting 168 gr bullets? AR10 will do that with 150 gr

Quoted:

much as i hated to do it,  i removed my 16" lightweight chrome-lined armalite barrel (b10a2c) and gave it to my cousin - that thing could not be made to shoot under 2 moa and 2.5 or worse was the norm - dont flame me i tried everything over a year span - carefully handloaded ocw studies, hand lapping, the works - all the while a standard cm dpms ap4 barrel shot rings around it easily achieving 1moa  -

i have another gun with a 20" armalite barrel (b10a4) that i hunt with, and it also is not what you would expect considering the brand, but i'm sticking with it for now because it's close enough to kill deer with and i cant take the time to disassemble/reassemble/sight-in right now, but down the road that barrel is gone, too. flame away but those 2 barrels didn't pan out...

Link Posted: 1/18/2012 6:37:44 PM EDT
[#24]
I looked at the armalite but the reviews are mixed, much more so than any other rifle in that price category.  Hell, even on the hide the dpms get's better ratings.

All in all, I still like the gap the best
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 6:47:34 PM EDT
[#25]
If I didn't already have the dpms sass, I'd probably go with the cmmg version.  The dpms is a good shooter, about 3/4 moa with good ammo, but the cmmg will probably do the same thing for a little less money.
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 9:28:47 PM EDT
[#26]
I heard the news about Armalite's new receiver set that takes the KAC/DPMS mags, so I ran over to their booth to confirm.  Yup, they have it.  My first AR-10 was an Armalite, and it shot 1/3 MOA with a stock, crappy trigger.  It put 10rounds of Federal GMM into 1" at 300yds, and was definitely a hummer.  I loved that gun, but sold it back in 2004 since I was more into 3-gun at the time, and didn't find any ranges where I could stretch it out, since I was in NC.

I have owned 5 different AR10's, and I have to say that Armalite has the best bolt carrier group design out there. Reasons:

Balanced lugs

Spring-loaded firing pin

The mags are really the only thing that kept me away from buying from them for my other 4 AR10's.  I've had the last 2 built by GA Precision in DPMS receivers and BCG's, with select parts otherwise.  

Armalite also has a 22" air-gauged Douglas stainless select match barrel .260 Remington production gun too.

I'm going to check out the ADCOR AR10 tomorrow.

Oh yeah, Del-Ton just debuted an AR10 as well, and I played with them a bit.  Their own upper and lower...lower looks like CMMG, upper is beefy, not DPMS, but DPMS compatible.  Solid little carbines they had with 16" pipes I think.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 4:13:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I heard the news about Armalite's new receiver set that takes the KAC/DPMS mags, so I ran over to their booth to confirm.  Yup, they have it.  My first AR-10 was an Armalite, and it shot 1/3 MOA with a stock, crappy trigger.  It put 10rounds of Federal GMM into 1" at 300yds, and was definitely a hummer.  I loved that gun, but sold it back in 2004 since I was more into 3-gun at the time, and didn't find any ranges where I could stretch it out, since I was in NC.

I have owned 5 different AR10's, and I have to say that Armalite has the best bolt carrier group design out there. Reasons:

Balanced lugs

Spring-loaded firing pin

The mags are really the only thing that kept me away from buying from them for my other 4 AR10's.  I've had the last 2 built by GA Precision in DPMS receivers and BCG's, with select parts otherwise.  

Armalite also has a 22" air-gauged Douglas stainless select match barrel .260 Remington production gun too.

I'm going to check out the ADCOR AR10 tomorrow.

Oh yeah, Del-Ton just debuted an AR10 as well, and I played with them a bit.  Their own upper and lower...lower looks like CMMG, upper is beefy, not DPMS, but DPMS compatible.  Solid little carbines they had with 16" pipes I think.

can you post some pics?

Link Posted: 1/19/2012 7:32:00 AM EDT
[#28]
CMMG SASS 18 INCH. Mine is .59MOA . Can't do better for the money.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 8:23:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I can't believe no one has said it yet - If you want an AR10 you're gonna have to buy an ArmaLite.

+1  Armalite has put more research into their rifles, and are second only to KAC. In regards to the AR-10 that is.

Armalite uses better materials than DPMS, has far greater quality control, and certainly better customer service.

Yes, DPMS gives you a TON of options, and when you get these options, you will have a good rifle but end up paying $500 more than if you get a stock Armalite. The bottom of the line DPMS is NOT moa. Im sure there are people out there that can shoot good enough to compensate for the short comings of the $900 DPMS. But, they are not very accurate.

But, as with any other rifle maker, once you change the barrel, trigger, stock, etc, you will have a very nice rifle. Armalite AR-10 come with an MOA guarantee, DPMS does not.

Buyer beware, you get what you pay for, cheap is not the same as inexpensive, etc etc.

Armalite will give you the most bang for your buck. DPMS will give you the CHEAPEST bang for you buck, but cheap and guns should not go together.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 7:17:56 PM EDT
[#30]
He requested an answer that acknowledges money as an issue. To get the least expensive route is a DIY. the least expensive, with good quality parts are offered by DPMS. If the question read what AR 308 platform is the best, I would have answered differently. I choose rifles like it's my last, but recommend buying one that wont turn you upside down on a trade/sale. Most AR platform makers are pretty competitive now, and it may be hard to find poor quality. Personally I bought an Remington R25 in 308. I'm very happy with it. It does its' purpose very well. For each his own. Good luck
Link Posted: 1/22/2012 7:34:59 AM EDT
[#31]
WhartHog tell more about your R25 thoughts etc.

I've been looking at getting a 308 version of the AR myself and looking all the different options. Mostly will be for hunting/target shooting.

Sorry don't mean to high jack the thread.
Link Posted: 1/22/2012 8:01:04 AM EDT
[#32]
op.....first thing, how much money as that will determine which is 'best'
Link Posted: 1/22/2012 12:11:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Thank you for all the replies guys. I will look into the cmmg that thing looks like its a great bang for the buck. May cost me a little more.
Link Posted: 1/22/2012 12:14:46 PM EDT
[#34]
RRA LAR-8 gets my vote.  Haven't shot any of the other rifles (AR-10, LR-308, CMMG, etc), but my 16" mid-length LAR-8 does all I've asked.  <1moa @ 100 yards w/ 168 grain GMM.  Took two doe this deer season.
Link Posted: 1/22/2012 2:19:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Get the DPMS LRT308 SASS you cannot go wrong.  Mine shoots 3/4 all day long at 100 yds and 1 at 300 yds
Link Posted: 1/22/2012 3:09:43 PM EDT
[#36]
I picked up a like new DPMS for $760, that is tough to beat.  If I were looking new, the CMMG looks very nice!
Link Posted: 1/22/2012 4:02:41 PM EDT
[#37]
IMO DIY. Stick with the KAC/DPMS mag pattern so you can run Pmags. My opinion the current production DPMS chrome moly AP4 carbine barrel is a good deal - moa + low $$. Choose your barrel, add the Gieselle SSA-E + the Fulton Armory chrome bca + BCM extractor oring kit + the Enidine buffer. The rest (even the lower/upper in my opinion) is up to taste and your individual mission. Good parts matter more than the brand. Dont get hung up on the name engraved on the lower. Just my 2 c...
Link Posted: 1/22/2012 7:37:26 PM EDT
[#38]
+1 DIY.  My MA-TEN is flawless and didn't break the bank considering what it is.
Link Posted: 1/23/2012 11:07:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Here's video of Mark Westrom with a new AR-10A middy carbine using PMAGs:

Link Posted: 1/23/2012 12:39:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Bullshit  the DPMS rifles are not accurate...Why because they don't have a fancy name..?
All of my DPMS rifles are very accurate..!  Would not hesitate to use them if my life was in danger.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top