Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2010 12:42:45 PM EDT
I have a rifle chambered in .223 and would like to convert it to 6.8 for deer hunting. Is the barrel and bolt the only thing that has to be changed? Thanks
Link Posted: 8/13/2010 12:44:10 PM EDT
[#1]
barrel, bolt, and mags
Link Posted: 8/13/2010 3:16:24 PM EDT
[#2]
If you have the funds, get a complete upper from AR15 Performance; one of the best built 6.8's out there.  If not, make sure you get the most up to date Spec II chamber and 1/11 or 1/11.5 twist.
If you haven't all ready look around 68 Forumns for info.
Link Posted: 8/13/2010 3:50:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have a rifle chambered in .223 and would like to convert it to 6.8 for deer hunting. Is the barrel and bolt the only thing that has to be changed? Thanks

If you do all the work yourself conversion might be worth the effort...if not buy yourself a good 6.8 upper and keep both....
Link Posted: 8/13/2010 8:58:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If you do all the work yourself conversion might be worth the effort...if not buy yourself a good 6.8 upper and keep both....

And then when you find a nice deal on a lower, boom, you've got two EBR's.
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 10:58:21 AM EDT
[#5]
The uppers from ar15 performance look great, a little more than my budget though. Any other recommendations for a decent quality upper at a little lower price? Thanks
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 11:26:48 AM EDT
[#6]
try Stag, DPMS, etc.............
Link Posted: 8/15/2010 7:16:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
try Stag, DPMS, etc.............

I'd stay away from any upper that doesn't use M4 feed ramps/barrel extensions AND a mid-length gas system.

As far as I know stag still doesn't use the Feed ramps or a Mid-length gas system.

Link Posted: 8/15/2010 9:53:20 AM EDT
[#8]
"With the increased use of larger diameter cased cartridges (6.8 SPC, etc), the M4 feed ramps are proving to be of value when using these cartridges... the magazine lips can not move, so with these larger diameter cartridges, the tip of the bullet sits lower in relation to the centerline of the bore (half of the diameter increase to be exact) –– this puts the cartridge in a position where feeding is improved by the extended feed ramp."

On the 556 platform you can argue about M4 feed ramps all day long but with the 68 there is truth behind it, so as stated above, get the ramps if possible.  I would watch the EE for a used upper.  You'll be hard pressed to find a spec II 1/11 twist upper for under $500.
Link Posted: 8/16/2010 2:52:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The uppers from ar15 performance look great, a little more than my budget though. Any other recommendations for a decent quality upper at a little lower price? Thanks

If you can't afford one of his basic uppers, you might reconsider the whole 6.8 game. Ammo is expensive (unless you reload), mags are expensive (PRI/Barrett), and you'll probably have to tweak whatever upper you end up getting...I went through 5 uppers from several companies trying to get one that would work correctly/had no issues. No dice.
Link Posted: 8/16/2010 4:51:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you can't afford one of his basic uppers, you might reconsider the whole 6.8 game. Ammo is expensive (unless you reload), mags are expensive (PRI/Barrett), and you'll probably have to tweak whatever upper you end up getting...I went through 5 uppers from several companies trying to get one that would work correctly/had no issues. No dice.

But you forgot to mention that bad luck curse that chick put on you in college
Link Posted: 8/16/2010 6:28:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But you forgot to mention that bad luck curse that chick put on you in college

I am the fellow whom if a bad item comes out of the factory, I'll get it every time. It's part of the reason I learned to fix things; I had to.

Link Posted: 8/16/2010 10:02:53 AM EDT
[#12]
i got a stag upper. and  it has worked great. they sell for 520-550$
Link Posted: 8/16/2010 10:05:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
i got a stag upper. and  it has worked great. they sell for 520-550$

Does it have the M4 barrel extention?

Also, what ammo have you run through it? Some of the loads work with non-M4 ramps and some choke the chicken!
Link Posted: 8/16/2010 10:27:07 AM EDT
[#14]
stag doesn't have the feeding ramps. but i haven't had a problem with it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2010 12:08:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
stag doesn't have the feeding ramps. but i haven't had a problem with it.

I understand that which mags you use can impact this as well; PRI 2nd gen mags orient the tip of the bullet too low on the ramp, which may cause issues.  Barrett mags seem okay, and I don't know about Cproducts mags...

With the PRI mags, I seem to recall it recommended that you bend the feedlips up a little bit on each side to allow the bullet tip to feed higher on the ramp. I can't recall how much, it wasn't much. I recall it's discussed on the 68forums somewhere - Constructor talked about it.

Link Posted: 8/16/2010 1:09:33 PM EDT
[#16]
RRA midlength upper complete from ADCO.  $479 + shipping ($4-$6).  Mine has worked perfectly with C Prod mags & SSA ammo (new) and my reloads.
Link Posted: 8/16/2010 3:46:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
RRA midlength upper complete from ADCO.  $479 + shipping ($4-$6).  Mine has worked perfectly with C Prod mags & SSA ammo (new) and my reloads.

M4 ramps?

Link Posted: 8/16/2010 4:29:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

M4 ramps?

+1 on the RRA Midlength 16".  They do have M4 feed ramps; not as deep as they could be but cut and lined up very well. I have not had a single issue with mine and have shot just about every different kind of ammo available out there to figure out what she likes best, which is the SSA 90g Speer TNT's.   As for the 1/10 twist vs the 1/11, I personally have been really pleased with my upper.  The 6.8SPC is a hard hitting battle cartridge and wasn't built for tack driving but I have gotten 1" groups at 200 yards very consistently and mine shoots the lighter 85 grain up to the heavy 115 grain really well.  There is a noticeable POI shift as the bullets get heavier but I have shot enough of each to know how to adjust my POA for each.
Link Posted: 8/16/2010 8:01:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Go to 68forums.com and research the numerous manufactures of the 68 upper. I don't know how anyone could go thru 5 or 6 uppers before finding a good one....assuming you stick with some good names to buy from. Be ready to spend a little $$$ on a good high quality upper. I have a Bison Armory Recon Profile Stainless 68 upper, 18" barrel, mid length gas system, free float tube, 1/11 twist 4 groove....(some people like the 1/12 twist with a 3 groove as well, either will work great!)..... yada yada yada forearm etc......with the right loads I can get dime sized (1 wallered out hole with 3-5 shots) at 100 yards with both 100gr and 110gr Accubond handloads. Its not an ultra long distance round like some people want it to be, but it is a legit 300 yard rifle for hunting that will shoot as good and steady as you can hold it.

Yes the 68 platform is expensive it you dont reload....(about $1.00/round-ish)....if you do reload.......initial cost is a little high but the more you shoot it the cheaper it is!!  

I'm handloading 110gr Sierra Pro Hunters....about $22 bucks/100....they hit hard, fly straight, penetrate/expand nicely, are fast and hit pretty much in the same place every time. They may not be "THE" best boolit for hunting or whatever but they are definately the best bang for your buck when it comes to the 68 and boolits for reloading. These rounds I'll load up will be good for sinkin turtles in the family pond, punchin holes thru paper, squirrels (hehehe), med game up to 300 yards, zombies, Russians (Red Dawn could happen, you never know!), Japs, N. Koreans, or some white trash too lazy to get a job so I'll try taking yer shit from you sorry sucker wantin to break into my house....my guns aren't prejudice by any means......the 68 is a good round, (if you keep it within the 300-350-ish yard range depending on your boolit choice and powder etc).....I like it alot.

Personally, my rifle likes R10x with anywhere from 29.0gr to 29.5gr of powder loaded to a case overall length (COAL) of about 2.95" with Wolf Sm Rifle Primers...I'm averaging about 2711fps with 29.2gr of R10x.....

Thats just my luck though.....
Link Posted: 8/16/2010 8:54:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Go to 68forums.com and research the numerous manufactures of the 68 upper. I don't know how anyone could go thru 5 or 6 uppers before finding a good one....assuming you stick with some good names to buy from. Be ready to spend a little $$$ on a good high quality upper. I have a Bison Armory Recon Profile Stainless 68 upper, 18" barrel, mid length gas system, free float tube, 1/11 twist 4 groove....(some people like the 1/12 twist with a 3 groove as well, either will work great!)..... yada yada yada forearm etc......with the right loads I can get dime sized (1 wallered out hole with 3-5 shots) at 100 yards with both 100gr and 110gr Accubond handloads. Its not an ultra long distance round like some people want it to be, but it is a legit 300 yard rifle for hunting that will shoot as good and steady as you can hold it.

Yes the 68 platform is expensive it you dont reload....(about $1.00/round-ish)....if you do reload.......initial cost is a little high but the more you shoot it the cheaper it is!!  

I'm handloading 110gr Sierra Pro Hunters....about $22 bucks/100....they hit hard, fly straight, penetrate/expand nicely, are fast and hit pretty much in the same place every time. They may not be "THE" best boolit for hunting or whatever but they are definately the best bang for your buck when it comes to the 68 and boolits for reloading. These rounds I'll load up will be good for sinkin turtles in the family pond, punchin holes thru paper, squirrels (hehehe), med game up to 300 yards, zombies, Russians (Red Dawn could happen, you never know!), Japs, N. Koreans, or some white trash too lazy to get a job so I'll try taking yer shit from you sorry sucker wantin to break into my house....my guns aren't prejudice by any means......the 68 is a good round, (if you keep it within the 300-350-ish yard range depending on your boolit choice and powder etc).....I like it alot.

Personally, my rifle likes R10x with anywhere from 29.0gr to 29.5gr of powder loaded to a case overall length (COAL) of about 2.95" with Wolf Sm Rifle Primers...I'm averaging about 2711fps with 29.2gr of R10x.....

Thats just my luck though.....

2.95" is a typo right?

Link Posted: 8/17/2010 2:47:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I don't know how anyone could go thru 5 or 6 uppers before finding a good one....assuming you stick with some good names to buy from. Be ready to spend a little $$$ on a good high quality upper.

IM sent with details of how this happened.

Link Posted: 8/17/2010 1:15:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't know how anyone could go thru 5 or 6 uppers before finding a good one....assuming you stick with some good names to buy from. Be ready to spend a little $$$ on a good high quality upper.

IM sent with details of how this happened.

He went through 3 of the top manufacturers on market. Like I said, he has a hex put on him or something, Serously!
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 1:19:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
case overall length (COAL) of about 2.95"

2.95" is a typo right?

DOH! YES, thats a typo, thanks for catchin that. I meant a COAL of about 2.295"  
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 8:05:02 PM EDT
[#24]
I just checked ADCO's site and the 6.8 uppers are for 1=10 twist, does not say it is SPC II, but they are $480.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 8:36:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Those are RRA midlengths and are GREAT shooters.  Note the RRA logo.  They have the the optimal chamber and the 1/10 twist is just fine.  That's a good price.  You will be very happy with that upper!
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top