Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2009 5:40:00 PM EDT
I just want to say that I am the first person (or at least on this forum) to have installed the Troy Industries 308 rail on to the Rock River LAR 8.  

I was worried that the 335 dollar investment would have to be resold on e-bay or something but as i started to install it,  it seams that every thing kind of fits and i proceeded to install.   I had one snag and that was the ejector dust cover axis pin is an 1/8" to big, so i ground it down and the bottom clamp now clears it.  

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/86/m_4215e62c7f484270a9767427158c69dc.jpg

The other little flaw is the numbers on top of the rail  repeat some one of the numbers on the top of reciever.  

Here is the whole rifle.

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/80/m_56a02855a2184d9298c544ff646bb58e.jpg

A side note.  This thing ways a ton.
Link Posted: 4/4/2009 6:25:09 PM EDT
[#1]
ok im new here.. but "seams" "ways" ?
Link Posted: 4/7/2009 3:27:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/7/2009 8:01:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I had to dremel the included barrel nut at the gas tube entry area to let the gas tube slide freely into upper. Did yours slide ok or does RRA have yet another pitch barrel nut of their own.
Link Posted: 4/7/2009 9:34:29 AM EDT
[#4]
The kit came with a nut but I did not have to use it.  I used the nut that came with the Rock River LAR 8.  I took it apart to get the delta ring , spring and e-clip off and reinstalled the nut by itself. The standard ar15 multi tool works.  I did not even try the nut that came with it as you would have to grind a key way to let the gas tube pass through.  

On a side note, the kit did not come with any instructions...
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 6:49:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Did you leave the OEM gas block on?
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 7:01:55 PM EDT
[#6]
The oem gas block has a rail on top and a sling loop on the bottom.  It unfortunatly does not fit under the handgaurd.  The kit came with a low profile gas block that fits under the hand gaurd.  it was easy to install.  just loosen up the allen screws, slide the gas block off, drive the roll pin that holds the gas tube on, pull apart and re-install on to the low profile gas block.
Link Posted: 5/5/2009 12:31:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Awesome!  Nice to see pics and actually get a post from someone that has installed the rail.  I will be doing the same install on mine after I get some optics for it.  How much was the total bill for your rail, did they have it in stock, and how long did it take from time of order to time you received it?  I have the carbine version, did you change the buffer tube to fit the PRS stock?  If so what type of buffer did you use?  I want a full length stock on mine like the PRS or even just an A2 stock but mine has a carbine buffer tube on it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2009 1:47:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Bad ass looking rifle you have there.
Link Posted: 5/6/2009 5:31:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Awesome!  Nice to see pics and actually get a post from someone that has installed the rail.  I will be doing the same install on mine after I get some optics for it.  How much was the total bill for your rail, did they have it in stock, and how long did it take from time of order to time you received it?  I have the carbine version, did you change the buffer tube to fit the PRS stock?  If so what type of buffer did you use?  I want a full length stock on mine like the PRS or even just an A2 stock but mine has a carbine buffer tube on it.

the rail was $335 from apex over at EE. It included shipping, low profile gas block, quick release sling mount and no credit card fees.  Flat $335

I ordered and got it in 3 days or so.

Mine had the colapsing stock on I had to put a regular A2 receiver tube on it along with a DPMS reciever extention to make the PRS stock work.  No problems. I used the stock buffer.

My next purchase is some quailty glass...
Link Posted: 5/7/2009 9:51:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

the rail was $335 from apex over at EE. It included shipping, low profile gas block, quick release sling mount and no credit card fees.  Flat $335

Mine had the colapsing stock on I had to put a regular A2 receiver tube on it along with a DPMS reciever extention to make the PRS stock work.  No problems. I used the stock buffer.

I am going for glass before the quadrail.  You have a scope on it, what type is that and how do you like it?  I am going with a Trijicon Accupoint with the 1-4x magnification.  I want to use it for # gun, but also want something that does not take batteries and I want to be able to take shots out to 400yrds or so.  Everyone says 4x is acceptable for that distance shot with good optics.  

Did you install the receiver extension to make the stock fit or was it to make it more comfortable for you.  I am a small guy but like the feel of a full size stock.
Link Posted: 5/8/2009 5:19:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am going for glass before the quadrail.  You have a scope on it, what type is that and how do you like it?  I am going with a Trijicon Accupoint with the 1-4x magnification.  I want to use it for # gun, but also want something that does not take batteries and I want to be able to take shots out to 400yrds or so.  Everyone says 4x is acceptable for that distance shot with good optics.  

Did you install the receiver extension to make the stock fit or was it to make it more comfortable for you.  I am a small guy but like the feel of a full size stock.

I am saving my pennies on a leupold mark 4 M3 (308 inprinted terret knobs).  I believe that you need at least a 10x scope at any distance greater then 200 yards.  I have a scope that i had lying around (maybe tasco).  Trijcon makes the acog which can't be beat, and their tritium stuff is top notch but for their regular scopes,  I am not impressed.  no adjustable (big knobs)  terrets or objective.    

I have a Leupold (VX-III, Vx M8), Zeiss, Nikon Monarch, Hensoldt, and  Aimpoint.  I like the ... Can't decide.  The hendsoldt  is the HK 91 version and it it is 4x magnification plus has the knobs marked in meters  calibarated for the 762x51 round.  100, 200,300 400 500 and 600 meters.   Just adjust to the yardage you are shooting.

I installed the reicever extension to make the charging handle work.  With the extension, you can use the AR15 PRS stock too.  I am 6' and the gun is quite comfertable for me.
Link Posted: 5/10/2009 9:09:32 AM EDT
[#12]
you used the OEM buffer and a STANDARD A2 buffer spring?

I thought the .308 versions of the AR(insert brand) required a AR10 buffer either carbine or rifle and then either an AR10 carbine buffer spring or an AR10 rife buffer spring.

Any chance of damaging your reciever extention and detent from using the lower power spring?

I am headed down the same path that you have blazed but am attempting to scrounge the AR10 buffer and spring and then use a standard A2 stock.
Link Posted: 5/10/2009 10:02:24 AM EDT
[#13]
When I said oem (original equipment manufacture) I used the original spring and buffer that came with my  LAR 8.  I compinsated for the lenght by making a spacer  inside the A2 tube to make it the same length as the LAR 8 carbine reciever tube.  Works exactly the same the original.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top