Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/11/2009 3:42:57 PM EDT
I am now going to go with a POF because it is a GPU system and also accepts DPMS mags which seem to be "the standard"

Now let me ask this, cant you make any stripped lower into a GPU?

So what is so special about the POF that only takes the GPU?

Where can I find a POF stripped lower and how much are they going for?

What upper should I be looking at to make it a GPU?
Link Posted: 1/11/2009 3:48:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/11/2009 4:03:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry I meant in .308. I changed my thread name.
Link Posted: 1/11/2009 5:59:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Until LWRCs SABR is available, POF is pretty much the only game in town for a piston 308 AR.

Ranier and CWS usually have some stripped POF lowers available.

Adams Arms is working on a 308 version of their retrofit piston system.
Link Posted: 1/11/2009 7:32:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Until LWRCs SABR is available, POF is pretty much the only game in town for a piston 308 AR.

I thought you can retro any AR platform to a GPU?

Why is POF the only one that can accept a GPU?

I'm not familar with Ranier or CWS... Are they sponsers? I'd like to call them tom to see if they have any in stock.

What is a good price for a POF stripped lower?

Link Posted: 1/11/2009 8:25:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought you can retro any AR platform to a GPU? Only the AR15 at this time.

I'm not familar with Ranier or CWS... Are they sponsers? I'd like to call them tom to see if they have any in stock.

Link Posted: 1/12/2009 7:05:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought you can retro any AR platform to a GPU?

As it stands right now I'm not aware of any retrofit piston systems that have been approved for a large chassis AR10/DPMS308 type system.  I suppose you could try to make a retrofit piston designed for AR15 work in a DPMS308 upper, but I certainly wouldn't try it.  

As I mentioned Adams Arms has been testing a 308 version of their retrofit since last summer, but it is not available yet.  

Primary Weapons Systems who also make a highly regarded piston retrofit, has stated several times that they currently have no intention of producing a 308 compatible system, as the perceived market is too small.

POF only makes piston sytems, and it's just that no one else is currently producing either a purpose built or retrofit 308 system (LWRCs SABR 308 based system is still in the works).  The lower used is mostly irrelevent, but fitting a POF upper on a standard DPMS lower takes a few special parts, so it would simply be easier to use POF upper and lower.  

The stripped 308 lowers commonly go for $450 or so.  Ranier Arms and Cold War Shooters can be found in the Industry section.  To my knowledge they are both currently out of the 308 lowers.

I also believe the term "GPU" is used by Addax Tactical to describe their Primary Weapons Systems based 5.56 and 6.8 uppers.  Again they will not retrofit a 308 based system.
Link Posted: 1/12/2009 9:52:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Ok cold war said they will be getting some in a week or so.

They're 480 though just for the stripped lower.

Is that normal price? Or an inflated one because of the political climate?

They don't have any uppers in stock but said the complete upper runs for about 1500?

Does that sound right?

What kind of barrels do they come with?

Would there be any part of their upper you would want to replace?

Or do they already use upgraded parts in their uppers?

I take it you can't/don't buy a stripped POF upper?

Link Posted: 1/12/2009 12:04:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't want to turn this into a PISTON vs DI. thing. But if i was going to have a POF lower, I would have a POF upper in 308. 16 or a 20 in.
Link Posted: 1/12/2009 4:48:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah I will be gettng a POF upper for sure, just need to know some specs on their upper.

Def will go the 20". Will that maximize the .308's fullest capablities, or damn close to it?

I don't think I want to go as long as 22 or 24".

Anyone have any more to add on my last post?
Link Posted: 1/12/2009 5:59:16 PM EDT
[#10]
The 20" should be good. I assume your not looking for more than a 1000 + yrd rifle???

I'm just thinking that if your looking for one hole group at that distance you might not get it out of any AR.

The barrel length affects more of the Vel.

Link Posted: 1/12/2009 9:11:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah if I can get a hard punch at 1000 yards with a 20" barrel... That is exactly what I want to do. No more really.

Barrel length = more velocity = harder punch because more powder burns, further/accurate distances right?
Link Posted: 1/13/2009 6:08:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

They don't have any uppers in stock but said the complete upper runs for about 1500?

Does that sound right?

Link Posted: 1/18/2009 7:07:58 AM EDT
[#13]

Does that sound right?

Link Posted: 1/18/2009 3:24:50 PM EDT
[#14]
anyone?
Link Posted: 1/18/2009 7:11:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I got my 18" 308 upper just before Xmas.  Delivered to the Peoples Republika of California it was about $1800.  It has their standard rail system, and blowback system.  Really nice shooting.  I bought my POF lower about a year ago from Cold War Shooters and just stowed it away waiting for the uppers.

They started to take orders on upper right after Thanksgiving and were shipping first come first serve.

The hardest part about having it is the magazines, plenty of 10rounders around, but 19 rounders are like non existent thanks to the Obamanation.  I should have bought them while I waited.

The lowers have an ambidextrous bolt release (one on both sides) but uses all standard AR inner parts (trigger, springs, take downs)  Buffer and spring are a little different I fond this out the hard way, so I ordered one of the buffer setups from here online to fix my little issues.

Once you get a POF system rolling it is a dream to shoot.  I own about 12 different AR's and would love to scrap all my gas tube AR's.
Link Posted: 1/18/2009 8:04:24 PM EDT
[#16]
how much did you pay for your lower back then from CWS?
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 6:03:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
how much did you pay for your lower back then from CWS?

I bought some lowers about a year ago from them and I believe even then they were in the mid $400s, so $480 given the current political climate doesn't sound unreasonable.  

All the POF lowers have always been on the pricey side, but they are very nice and their ambi bolt catch release design works very well (and I believe if may be patented).  

The only thing I'm not thrilled about with their lowers design-wise is the somewhat bulbous trigger guard.  It looks better though on their 308 lower than on their smaller AR15 lowers.
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 4:25:40 PM EDT
[#18]
I think I paid somewhere in the $375 range.  But I also bought 3 other lowers at the same time (2 AR lowers, and a Stag).  All this to get into the Peoples Republika of Kalifornia Assault weapon loophole.

I have only seen 1 complete (308) rifle in the last couple months and the dealer wanted like $3400.  There are some class 3 units on Gunbroker, but they are 5.56.
Link Posted: 2/7/2009 3:51:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Does anyone know who has one of these in stock righ tnow?

I am getting my tax return on friday and will be ready to order.

thanks.
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 8:26:38 AM EDT
[#20]
bump
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 1:46:34 PM EDT
[#21]
You may want to check at the Snipershide forum. There was a group buy for POF lowers that ended Jan 1st. The person who headed it up may have gotten some extra.. Price was $350 plus S&H.
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 6:06:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Gunbroker has a ton of the ugly(yes I think the are ugly) POF lowers right now, but be quick they are ending in minutes.....

BTW welcome to the hide! look around its a good place, and hell we even have Shooter the movis drama going on there!
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 7:41:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Ha why do you think they're ugly?

All their .308's are the same right?

Yeah I think I'm going to like the hide, thanks.  

Lots of good, deep info there.  

Those 308's all went for around 600.  

God damn I would have loved to get in the hides group buy for 350.

Link Posted: 2/11/2009 8:19:02 PM EDT
[#24]
I dont like the damn trigger guard for whatever reason, and actually I hated all the .308 lowers until I saw this.

That lower finally sold me to the .308 AR platform. Now I can be excited that I can have a good looking AR308.

Link Posted: 2/11/2009 10:56:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Ya those are sweet as hell. Who makes them and how much?

Will they have a gas piston upper?  Or regular GI?

That's what pushed me to the POF.

I would assume that will be the DPMS style magwell?
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 4:39:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Those are made by Iron Ridge Arms and come in DPMS and AR10 style lowers. They were selling for $375 through a GB on the hide. They will be making side and rear charging uppers later this year, but probably in gi form. GI does kind of suck since I will be running it suppressed, but not a deal breaker for me. I ordered the DPMS style for the fact that I am on the preorder list for Pmags. You cant beat $20 mags when most sell for $40 and up up up!
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 10:44:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Those are made by Iron Ridge Arms and come in DPMS and AR10 style lowers. They were selling for $375 through a GB on the hide. They will be making side and rear charging uppers later this year, but probably in gi form. GI does kind of suck since I will be running it suppressed, but not a deal breaker for me. I ordered the DPMS style for the fact that I am on the preorder list for Pmags. You cant beat $20 mags when most sell for $40 and up up up!

How does one get on the preorder list for DPMS-style 308 PMAGS?  I've got a Fifty Caliber Shooters Assoc (FCSA) buddy in Longmont, CO that knows the guy making these lowers.  He said they were sweet but that is the first picture i've seen of them.  Very nice.

Thanks,

-David
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 1:24:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Brownells started a preorder for them. Look for the 7.62 Magpul Pmag thread in this forum and they have the part # in it on first page.
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 2:27:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Brownells started a preorder for them. Look for the 7.62 Magpul Pmag thread in this forum and they have the part # in it on first page.

Do you have a link?  I couldn't find it.

Have they actually started pre ordering?

I am I the mailing list for these with them and haven't heard anything

As much as I like those lowers, I'm going with POF for the piston Upper.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 7:05:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Can I fit a POF piston upper on these new iron arms lowers?

I just compared the POF and iron arms side by side and I REALLY like the iron arms.

I'd prefer to get the one def, but I want the piston upper for sure.

Link Posted: 2/16/2009 4:11:17 AM EDT
[#31]
I got in on the group buy right near the end. Pick up a couple and then one of the other guys that got in on it wanted to sell his off for some reason so i bought his as well. Its crazy that the going price is now a little less then double that.
Link Posted: 3/6/2009 1:07:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Any one that bought and payed for one of the np3 ones off GB actually recieve it yet?   Been weeks and I still don't have mine and the seller won't respond.  So much for 900+ feedback.
Link Posted: 3/6/2009 1:14:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Didn't buy one off gunbroker but i do have some up. Although i only have a skimpy 269 feedback.

Who did you buy them off of?
Link Posted: 3/6/2009 1:21:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Wish I would have gotten one off you....I over payed and looks like I've been scammed.  They recieved my certified funds 2-22-09 and have yet to send anything out and only sent me one e-mail saying they would look into it.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top