Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2008 9:30:40 PM EDT
I've got a standard M4gery already and I have another standard AR lower receiver that I want to build into something different than the regular AR15, but I don't know what direction to go.  I've bounced around the 7.62x39 idea and the .22 LR idea but I'm not sure if there's something out there that would be better so I turn to ARFCOM for help.  Now the requirements:

1) I don't want to be burdened with a lot of specialty parts, parts I have to change out etc. (I'm thinking this means a dedicated upper)
2) I want it to be chambered for a fairly common cartridge that is of good quality

What would be the best fit?  BTW, I'm having a hard time justifying a .22 AR because the range for that cartridge is about 150 yards or so, right?  It seems sort of pointless to me, but help me out if I'm missing something.

Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 11/12/2008 6:39:35 AM EDT
[#1]
With your statements I would stick with a .223.  A Larue 20" Stealth upper would be a great shooter.  You wouldn't have to worry about another caliber if you did this.

ETA:  If you just want a different caliber I would go 6.8 or 6.5 Grendel.
Link Posted: 11/12/2008 1:39:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't see how you can go wrong with a 6.8 SPC.  Given the fact you want as common as ammo as possible, I would go with the 6.8 SPC or 7.62x39.

If you consider reloading, I would get a custom barrel in 6mmx45mm.  It's not common but it's a damn fine round for hunting.  It's simply a .223 necked out to 6mm.  Use the same bolt group, same mags, same brass (.223) for case making, and it's a great cartridge.  I have taken two deer with mine thus far.

If you don't want to relaod, perhaps you know a reloader who could help you with ammo issues.
Link Posted: 11/12/2008 2:40:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd go 6.8

More folks in the supply chain good selection now of barrels, and smiths

Better factory ammo selection...and better quality (from what i've read)

Magazines that work well

LMT bolts

Good supply of bullets and data for reloading

Link Posted: 11/12/2008 2:44:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Go Big Bore and get a 458 SOCOM.
Link Posted: 11/12/2008 3:11:49 PM EDT
[#5]
6.8 spc for a real hard hitting hunting round.
The 110 ttsx in 6.8 spc is a sledge hammer.

7.62x39 if you want to shoot heavier bullets, subsonic etc
easier to find on the shelf ammo. Cheap wolf stuff too
if you like that ammo.
Link Posted: 11/12/2008 3:22:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the input all.  So I can drop a 6.8 upper onto a standard AR15 lower?  How available is the 6.8 ammunition?
Link Posted: 11/12/2008 6:00:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Fits like a glove.

Not many shooters in these parts, compared to many other states, but several shops have it up here in mASS. And this is a tough state to get anything in.  All the mail order companies seem to have it. And if your state hase no ammo shipping restrictions the folks over at Silver State Armory will hook you up to.
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 10:16:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Oh hell get em all!

Get that 7.62x40, get the .458 socom, get a 6.5 grendel, get a 6.8 spc, get a 7.62x39, get the .300 whisper, get a .50 beowulf, get the .338 spectre, get the dedicated .22lr upper......
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 2:35:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Now with poll.
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 3:18:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 6:34:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Why wasn't the 6.5 Grendel an option?
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 6:35:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Why wasn't the 6.5 Grendel an option?

I ran out of options.
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 8:55:14 PM EDT
[#13]
With your requirements I'd go with the 6.8 SPC. It's getting to be a very popular round and anything you need is readily available from multiple suppliers.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 5:17:34 AM EDT
[#14]
with today's political  and economic  uncertainty, unless you have some deep pockets or plastic to burn, I would invest in ammo right now.

however, since your asking, I would go with something in the same caliber for ammo sharing compatibility.

maybe a 20" upper, free float hand guard, flattop upper, and then buy mags and ammo till it hurts.

well, hurts even more than now.

ETA, the point of .22 is not defense or hunting, it's training.

which far too many people place as a low priority.

owning a gun does not mean you are proficient with it in a defense situation.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 4:46:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
with today's political  and economic  uncertainty, unless you have some deep pockets or plastic to burn, I would invest in ammo right now.

however, since your asking, I would go with something in the same caliber for ammo sharing compatibility.

maybe a 20" upper, free float hand guard, flattop upper, and then buy mags and ammo till it hurts.

I understand the reason to have a .22, but I'd rather train as I fight - as in with 5.56.

Link Posted: 11/14/2008 6:43:16 PM EDT
[#16]
A .22 allows you to plink and "fun shoot" very, very cheaply. Thats not something to overlook.

A 9mm allows "cheap" shooting that still has some meaning to it. I can actually knock down metal plates and such with 9mm which I cant do with .22LR

7.62x39 doesnt really impress me much for use in AR's. I just ask myself "Why"? Its not an ove3rly accurate round so the benefits of the AR platform become lost on a so-so caliber IMO. Might as well just buy an SKS and save a few bucks.

I dont care for the 6.8 but the 6.5 is very very attractive to me. Thats just personal preference. Wolf makes ammo for the 6.5, and its a barn burner at medium to long ranges. LaRue used one to drop an Elk at 400+ yards. Whats not to like?

A plain jane piston upper in .223 would be great because its cleaner then DI uppers. Frankly, I'm tired of dirty rifles. I like my girls dirty, not my guns.....

Personally, I think my next AR will be a DPMS .260 or a .22LR upper to shoot cheaply. I may spring for the .260 and get a drop in .22 conversion....
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 11:29:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 5:19:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand the reason to have a .22, but I'd rather train as I fight - as in with 5.56.

Theres certain drills and training scenario's in which what your shooting is far less important then whether or not your shooting. Move and shoot with low recoil helps move and shoot with higher recoil later, transition drills, failure drills etc etc.

Dont overlook the usefulness of a .22LR upper. More trigger time is always a good thing! Unless your independently wealthy, ammo costs will affect your shooting in this market!

Then again, you can build your 20" and pass on a nice railed fore end and get a cheapie one and the money you save will MORE then pay for a .22LR conversion such as the ST or Ceiner. 2 guns for the price of one nearly.......
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 7:10:03 AM EDT
[#19]
7.62x39....LOVE IT!
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 11:12:00 AM EDT
[#20]
The 6.5 grendel might be worth looking at...it has some impressive down range stats.

rjw
Link Posted: 11/15/2008 11:14:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The 6.5 grendel might be worth looking at...it has some impressive down range stats.

rjw

I'm definitely not opposed to that idea - I'm just concerned with ammunition availability and complete upper receiver availability/quality.  There are no modifications needed for the Grendel, correct?

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top