Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/16/2016 12:49:02 PM EDT
I dove head first into Keymod, but I'm finding M Lok looks pretty good too, maybe even a bit better.

Anyone have any thoughts about one being superior to the other?
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 12:53:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Six of one, half dozen of another.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 12:56:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I had MLOK, now I have Keymod. MLOK was easier to work with to me and seems a lot more secure (I could imagine a keymod accessory taking a hard but from the front and shifting back to the round section and popping out).

But for most people's use, I really doubt it matters. I would base the decision on what handguard you want. (I.e., some only come in one system or the other).
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 12:56:55 PM EDT
[#3]
MLOK camp here. I prefer it's lockup method. It looks better as well. Also, most new handguards are MLOK. BCM is really keeping keymod alive IMO?
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 1:03:43 PM EDT
[#4]
When one or the other becomes standardized, I'll switch from rails.
M Loc seems better, but I'll give it a few years and see what develops.
KeyMod was still a relatively new thing when M Loc came out, so maybe there will be a "Cross Loc" before long that makes them both obsolete.
Until something has been around for 10+ years, and is considered the "standard", it's still a fad IMO.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 1:05:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had both and consider them equal as far as functionality and capability are concerned. I sold the Keymod rail because I bought a MK8. If I had to choose I'd go with M-Lok just because I think it has a cleaner look.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 1:10:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had MLOK, now I have Keymod. MLOK was easier to work with to me and seems a lot more secure (I could imagine a keymod accessory taking a hard but from the front and shifting back to the round section and popping out).

But for most people's use, I really doubt it matters. I would base the decision on what handguard you want. (I.e., some only come in one system or the other).
View Quote

This is impossible if the Keymod accessory is designed to spec.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 1:16:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Mlok seems more secure and less easy to screw up to me.  The Keymod fanboys are quick to defend every failure as either an out of spec part or an incorrect installation.  However, I've not seen such issues even come up with Mlok.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 1:18:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've had both and consider them equal as far as functionality and capability are concerned. I sold the Keymod rail because I bought a MK8. If I had to choose I'd go with M-Lok just because I think it has a cleaner look.
View Quote

This. M-LoL for me
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 1:20:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm still trying to figure out why "quad" rails are now bad and these are now "good".
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 1:27:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm still trying to figure out why "quad" rails are now bad and these are now "good".
View Quote

It's not that rails are bad, but if you can't figure out that this:

is lighter and sleeker than this:

then I don't know how to help you.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 2:36:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I just bought a middy MLok direct from Magpul.  I think they look better.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 2:56:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I chose m-lok because I moved from MOE grips and already had m-lok.  Key mod bothers me from an appearance stand point because of the penis shape.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 3:11:57 PM EDT
[#13]
M-Lok.  

The flexibility in mounting at different lengths is good for fine-tuning how far away you mount rail accessories.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 3:50:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I like keymod.  Easy, light, durable, comfortable...and I went with SLR Rifleworks
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 3:59:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I went with mlok.  I think it has greater staying power than keymod due to Magpul's backing.  Yep, I know KAC, BCM, and Noveske are keymod, but Magpul's become an industry goliath.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 4:00:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Of the two I prefer M-Lok, overall I prefer a quad rail.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 4:37:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a couple Keymod handguards and one M-LOK. To me, it is just personal preference. There are several accessories out for each platform. If you are going just on looks alone, the M-LOK platform is cleaner looking.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 4:50:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
 Key mod bothers me from an appearance stand point because of the penis shape.
View Quote

I'm surprised it took as long as it did in this thread for someone to mention this. Lol
Real talk though.
I prefer Keymod over MLOK and let me tell you why. I have a rifle with a Keymod handguard. That's about it.
The guys that designed it (at BCM if I am not mistaken) and the designers at Magpul (innovators if there ever was any) are smart enough not to make stupid stuff that doesn't work for crap.
Both will work, both will save you weight, both with prove to be durable, reliable, and will work for as long as you take care of them as with anything.
Use which one you like best.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 5:07:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Keymod left a bad taste in my mouth after an IWC sling mount kept coming loose from a BCM KMR a couple years ago. I'm not sure if something was out of spec or what but after having my rifle hit the ground after the properly torqued and thread locked sling mount came off I was done with Keymod. I'm not knocking BCM or IWC, I'm just stating my experience.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 5:07:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 5:11:07 PM EDT
[#21]
This has been done alot.  Pure preference.  I've owned both and as long as your using quality parts you won't have issues with either. It's mostly personal preference.  I prefer keymod. Never had anything come loose on either option and I've tried on purpose to make sure they were solid
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 5:59:16 PM EDT
[#22]
MLOK is a more robust mounting solution.  Keymod is HD-DVD.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 6:23:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
MLOK is a more robust mounting solution.  Keymod is HD-DVD.
View Quote

And M-LOK doesn't look like you mounted a dollar-store bookshelf on your rifle.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 6:39:02 PM EDT
[#24]
The proper answer is get both!  lol

Seriously though, they both work great and it it nice to not have all that extra wasted rail and weight of a quad rail.  Really just depends on which look you like better.   I have one of each style and havent had problems with either.   I do think M lok will prob take over market share due to Magpul's backing.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 6:39:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Mlok here just because of magpul backing it really.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 6:50:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I like keymod.  Easy, light, durable, comfortable...and I went with SLR Rifleworks
View Quote

All of this, and because the appearance of one slot to another slot is at about the same level of consideration for me as which manufacturer a gas tube roll pin comes from.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 6:52:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I chose m-lok because I moved from MOE grips and already had m-lok.  Key mod bothers me from an appearance stand point because of the penis shape.
View Quote

You guys that see keymod slots as penis' have quite the imagination.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 6:53:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I went with mlok.  I think it has greater staying power than keymod due to Magpul's backing.  Yep, I know KAC, BCM, and Noveske are keymod, but Magpul's become an industry goliath.
View Quote

Yet their accessories are clunky as hell and they don't make a legit rail of their own.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 6:57:23 PM EDT
[#29]
I prefer to use BCM accessories so Keymod was the path I chose.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 7:04:03 PM EDT
[#30]
I don't like warehouse shelving slots on my guns. They also look like a part of the male anatomy. Both make it look tacky so I stay away. And I really like M-LOK mounts as they seem just as good as a 1913. If someone else likes keymod, good for them. It still doesn't mean I should be forced to like what they like.

Keymod has kept me from purchasing the Sig MPX, Ruger RPR, and the CMMG Mk47 Mutant. Oh well.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 7:12:48 PM EDT
[#31]
i really want a BCM KMR.

BBut Im not a fan of keymod.

Right now I have 2 mlok rails (aero 308, Geissele MK4) and one Keymod (seekins MCSR)
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 8:27:07 PM EDT
[#32]
I have both, but prefer m-lok.  I like the looks both seem to lock things up fine.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 8:32:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Since I'm an old "get off my lawn" person I haven't rushed out to change all my rails, and I don't foresee me doing it in the future.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 9:17:01 PM EDT
[#34]
I went keymod because I wanted the lightweight of the KMR so i could get a heavier barrel and still have a balanced rifle. I'm happy with my choice and have not had any problems with mounts or panels.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 9:22:02 PM EDT
[#35]
You can pry my KAC URX 2 rail from my cold dead hands

Although of the two, I'd prefer M lok based on aesthetics.  They both supposedly function equally well, so I guess that's all it boils down to.

I saw the Smos GFY M lok rail recently and it looks pretty sweet, and for 150 bucks I may pick one up and give one of these new fangled modular things a try.  That or one of the URX 4's in M lok.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 10:05:56 PM EDT
[#36]
I have several of both.  I like the "idea" of MLOK better than the actual execution.  Also, no one makes a half-assed decent set of MLOK covers that don't cost an arm and leg, IMO.  The BCM keymod covers are perfection...

Buy what suits you.  There is no shortage of quality offerings for both designs, including rails and accessories.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 10:07:10 PM EDT
[#37]
The best solution might be "none of the above". Full cheese grater quad rail is bulky and has slots everywhere that no one will use.  Yet, 1913 remains universal, effective and requires no special purchases or risk of trendy obsolescence.   KeyMod and MLok are variations on a theme.

Ultimately, the ability to put a few accessories only where needed while leaving the remainder of the hand guard slim and smooth is a big improvement over cheese grater.

Why not keep the tried and true 1913 but place securely fastened 3" mini 1913 rail strips only where needed, even at 45 degrees?

The method of attachment is secondary, as long as they are secure.  The accessory remains 1913 compliant, so nothing to buy or replace.

Several manufacturers did this before the KeyMod and MLok fads, but gave way to the novelty to meet the artificially created demand for something new.  New is always better, right?  Humm.

One good example was Daniel Defense's Modular Float Rail (MFR).  I have one and still think its pure 1913 attachment is the best approach.  I expect that people are mostly mounting their 1913 accessories in a similar manner, anyway and not buying very much direct KeyMod or MLok acessories, anyway.  That will probably run its course.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 10:11:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 10:59:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The best solution might be "none of the above". Full cheese grater quad rail is bulky and has slots everywhere that no one will use.  Yet, 1913 remains universal, effective and requires no special purchases or risk of trendy obsolescence.   KeyMod and MLok are variations on a theme.

Ultimately, the ability to put a few accessories only where needed while leaving the remainder of the hand guard slim and smooth is a big improvement over cheese grater.

Why not keep the tried and true 1913 but place securely fastened 3" mini 1913 rail strips only where needed, even at 45 degrees?

The method of attachment is secondary, as long as they are secure.  The accessory remains 1913 compliant, so nothing to buy or replace.

Several manufacturers did this before the KeyMod and MLok fads, but gave way to the novelty to meet the artificially created demand for something new.  New is always better, right?  Humm.

One good example was Daniel Defense's Modular Float Rail (MFR).  I have one and still think its pure 1913 attachment is the best approach.  I expect that people are mostly mounting their 1913 accessories in a similar manner, anyway and not buying very much direct KeyMod or MLok acessories, anyway.  That will probably run its course.
View Quote
Not everyone wants what you think is best for us. I like quads (use covers so you do not get "cheese grated.") but I also like tubes with 1913 all on top and modular M-LOK slots on the side. I want plastic or rubber on my hands though for my serious guns so I do not get burned...so getting "grated" was never an issue. I won't try and tell people what they need or should like only though, not my place to tell others what to do with their own rifles that I don't own.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 4:25:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 5:39:05 AM EDT
[#41]
I went with M Lok for my first non-quad rail.  Partially because I didn't want tactical dicks and partially because of the slick side.  But holy crap does it take a while to put a bunch of M Lok rail accessories on.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 5:55:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

It is awful hard to keep up.

In a few years, something else will be the new hotness.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 11:09:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Got both, use both, like both. No real difference beyond brand loyalty I think. Neither is really easier to use than the other from my experience, and neither seems more "sturdy". I did lose a backing nut to a mlok vfg at the range, but I blame that on me not paying attention when installing it. Ill probably start drifting more towards keymod since I have more accessories at this point and I have moved past Magpul vfg's and found better alternatives.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 7:21:20 PM EDT
[#44]
I like M-Lok because of the sleeker look and ease of installation. The QD Mlok slots also make it very appealing.

At this point it's a toss up, but I think the Mlok will pull ahead. I believe it's really BCM and the KMR keeping it alive.

If they both came out at the same time, I have no doubt keymod would not exist today. That's not to say it's bad.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:14:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I like M-Lok because of the sleeker look and ease of installation. The QD Mlok slots also make it very appealing.

At this point it's a toss up, but I think the Mlok will pull ahead. I believe it's really BCM and the KMR keeping it alive.

If they both came out at the same time, I have no doubt keymod would not exist today. That's not to say it's bad.
View Quote
A KMR in M-LOK would see my money. It's the only way I would own one.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:24:35 PM EDT
[#46]
I prefer MLOK.  To me it looks cleaner the the keymod system.

Overall both are better then quads, imo. The rail diameter and weight is reduced... either keymod or MLOK is a good options for those who don't need any or a few accessories.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:27:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I went with M Lok for my first non-quad rail.  Partially because I didn't want tactical dicks and partially because of the slick side.  But holy crap does it take a while to put a bunch of M Lok rail accessories on.
View Quote

My trick is to screw the t nut all the way down before inserting it, then put it in and turn counter clockwise until it slips past the inner wall. Then it's just a quarter turn to lockdown. After that it's just a short turn on and off.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:46:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Keymod is the next Betamax.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 9:26:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I liked everything about my KMR except the keymod. Too bad BCM will never offer it in M-Lok.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 10:05:51 PM EDT
[#50]
There are reports from some door-kicking folks (no I'm not going to get into who told me) that KeyMod has two general problems:
1.  It is not that difficult to pop your gear loose if you catch a door frame or other solid object with your hand guard. That can be a problem if it happens to be your light / IR illuminator / laser.
2.  If you bang into something that hard, it is also possible to bend the lips of the "key" upward. Doing that causes you to lose the utility of that hunk of rail.

For most of us, the difference is pretty negligible. I happen to fancy ALG Defense
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top