Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 26
Posted: 11/13/2014 8:09:27 AM EDT
May I please get some more feedback on these. Google of here didn't produce anything as far as accuracy goes.

Wondering if a Rainier Arms Select is worth the extra $80 over this

EDIT for posting Accuracy Results

Quoted:
I don't know about my Faxon barrel. I bought the 16" SOCOM barrel from Aim Surplus. Got it assembled this morning in my Mega Arms MKM upper and took it to the range. This is the group I got using the 1.5x16 TA44SG-10 ACOG at 50 yards with Federal XM193F.

I think I got a lemon!!
View Quote

Quoted:
UPDATE: FInally got to zero and shoot my pistol today. The pistol has the 7.5'' 416R SS barrel from Faxon. It FAR FAR exceeded my expectations for only 7.5'' and @ $99 it was a steal.

I was shooting federal 62 gr. factory loads. I got the red dot zeroed @ 25m. Was cranking groups out <1'' off hand. I then moved back to 75m (longest I can go in my yard right now) and was getting 2'' or so groups. Next time I get some good weather I will set up my shooting table so I can use the lead sled and see what it can really do but I am beyond happy with my buy!

3 shot group @ 25m ( was still zeroing RDS so shots are to the right)

5 shot group @ 25m

10 shot group at 75m ( ruler is covering 2 holes)

ETA: optic is a primary arms RDS which also exceeded my expectations! Fun day of shooting.
View Quote

Quoted:
Quoted:
I would like to see some 100yd groups with the 16" and 18" barrels before I decide to purchase another barrel.
View Quote

16'' SOCOM 4150 barrel:

At 100 yards:

1.5'' with 223 55r Freedom Munitions
1.25'' with 5.56 M855 (most surprising group of the day---in fact, the best group I've ever shot in my life with any 855 variant).
.75-.8 with 75gr 223 TAP

Video will be up one of these days...
View Quote

Quoted:
My SPR with a Faxon 18'' 1:8 rile length gas system

Here is how it did at the range yesterday.

Zeroing Process

Dialed in Pretty Dang Well

The groups at 200 were excellent as well. The same as that top left box.
View Quote

Quoted:
Nathan,
I finally got off my duff and got out to at least BZO the irons on my lightweight build using your 16" pencil profile barrel:

<a </a>

Consider this a preliminary range report since this is just the 25M BZO.  This is a photo of my "home-made" 25M BZO targets.  These are all 5-shot groups.  I shot top left first, then top right and finished in the center.  I was losing daylight so I stopped there.  From what I got out of the last group it looks like this little rifle will be a tack-driver!  

<a </a>

Hope to give you guys a longer and more in-depth report range report soon.

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/13/2014 8:34:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I have asked the same question to no avail.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 10:35:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup. See that people have bought them, probably because of the price. But haven't done anything with them
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 7:30:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yup. See that people have bought them, probably because of the price. But haven't done anything with them
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Howdy! This is Nathan from Faxon and saw the thread up here on our barrels. We make a simple promise: "If you're not happy, we aren't and will make it right." I am available personally (call and ask for me) for any assistance.

We make the barrels (from bare steel) for our ARAK-21 and they typically shoot MOA with match ammo. The AR-15 barrels are from the same machines. If you have quality parts (that being the big question), I expect similar results.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 8:45:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a review thread in the AIM industry forum. My results were less than stellar.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 8:51:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Nathan,

Thanks for joining and lending your insight to the conversation.

I am very interested in using one of Faxon's 12.5 barrels that AIM currently has in stock.  You are saying "quality parts" and I can expect 1MOAish results?  If so that sounds great, but I was wondering if you'd care to expand on "quality parts".  I assume your talking mainly BCG so what would you suggest and consider of a quality level to lend to getting as close as possible to the 1MOA expectation?  

I've used AIMs $80 BCG in my last 3 builds and have been pleased with the performance and quality (although only 1 of the three has greater than 1K rounds on it so no long term results yet)
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 9:13:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Ran a bunch of rounds through my 16'' SOCOM this weekend with 0 issues FWIW.   I'll be doing a review one of these days when I get enough rounds through them for a video....
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 9:18:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/qs0Azrdl.png?1

Ran a bunch of rounds through my 16'' SOCOM this weekend with 0 issues FWIW.   I'll be doing a review one of these days when I get enough rounds through them for a video....
View Quote

I was wondering what happened to you. Bryan said you had one for review, when I searched your FB all I could find was you getting it in July, but no test results.

Can you test some typical 55 grn box ammo too?
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 9:19:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I had a review thread in the AIM industry forum. My results were less than stellar.
View Quote

Didn't you end up selling it?

Nathan, I was told these new versions are made slightly differently than the ones coming out about 6+ months ago. Can you expand on that and what yall were improving on?
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 9:26:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Nathan, I was told these new versions are made slightly differently than the ones coming out about 6+ months ago. Can you expand on that and what yall were improving on?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, sold it just a few weeks ago.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 8:49:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sadly, your results were correct for some barrels in that batch. We have caught the defect and are replacing any of those barrels at no cost to customers. AIM has been a superb partner and we are always here for them and you.

We apologize profusely for the shooting results and know you can reach me directly in case of issues.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 8:58:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I am very interested in using one of Faxon's 12.5 barrels that AIM currently has in stock.  You are saying "quality parts" and I can expect 1MOAish results?  If so that sounds great, but I was wondering if you'd care to expand on "quality parts".  I assume your talking mainly BCG so what would you suggest and consider of a quality level to lend to getting as close as possible to the 1MOA expectation?  
View Quote

Great questions. I use the term "quality" as a general term to ensure you have something that has been machined correctly. As a barrel manufacturer, we have seen huge variety across the industry.

On an AR, the barrel to receiver interface is critical for repeated accuracy. If the front of the receiver is not faced correctly (its at an angle compared to the threads), the nut will apply uneven pressure and thus groups will open up dues to inconsistency. While this was relatively rare, due to the glut of parts made in "The Panic" there are new parts that are not quite up to spec.

Same with head-spacing. We have seen customers who have not actually checked it and just drop parts from the mail into guns and expect them to go bang. We manufacture and 100% test all our barrels to nominal SAAMI spec, but bolt manufacturers sometimes do not. Or, the bolt is made properly and the coating applied to it makes them too thick and it head-spaces tight. AIMs bolt carriers are great (we use them for testing ourselves since AIM is just up the road from us).

Generally speaking, if you buy parts from reputable companies, you have nothing to worry about. (Always check head-spacing, though!)

Yes, I would expect that performance from the barrel with match ammunition. We have a 1/8" twist so be cognizant of your weight and powder charge and you should be good to go. We have found the barrels love 69 grains and eat through the higher weight stuff without issue.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 9:05:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct, we have made significant improvements to our processes. While I can't got into the extreme details (as that would be a competitive secret), I can say that we have refined heat-treat, stress-relieving, and are holding amazing tolerances in the bore and rifling.

We test 100% of barrels with air gauges and pins for the muzzle diameter.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 5:11:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Are the Faxon barrels currently offered on the AIM Surplus web site the latest improved barrels?

I'd like to put a few back for future projects, so I might not get them assembled and fired within 30 days in order to lodge a complaint for replacement right away.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 5:12:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Are the Faxon barrels currently offered on the AIM Surplus web site the latest improved barrels?

I'd like to put a few back for future projects, so I might not get them assembled and fired within 30 days in order to lodge a complaint for replacement right away.
View Quote

Yes!

We spot-tested barrels in each batch with rounds. We are confident you will be satisfied.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 8:28:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Nathan,

Thanks for the information and for answering these questions.  I'm going to hit up Bryan's site to order a 12.5 now.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 10:33:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Sadly, your results were correct for some barrels in that batch. We have caught the defect and are replacing any of those barrels at no cost to customers. AIM has been a superb partner and we are always here for them and you.

We apologize profusely for the shooting results and know you can reach me directly in case of issues.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you need to determine if I have one of those barrels? I got mine second hand from Clharr but haven't had a chance to see if the barrel is a turd or if the original owner was flinchy.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 8:32:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I was wondering what happened to you. Bryan said you had one for review, when I searched your FB all I could find was you getting it in July, but no test results.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/qs0Azrdl.png?1

Sure.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 9:24:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Thank you for joining the conversation, Nathan, I'll put one of your barrels on the list.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 9:35:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What do you need to determine if I have one of those barrels? I got mine second hand from Clharr but haven't had a chance to see if the barrel is a turd or if the original owner was flinchy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shoot it. If its not up to your satisfaction, we will replace it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 9:37:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Thank you for joining the conversation, Nathan, I'll put one of your barrels on the list.
View Quote

My pleasure to be here.

Our experience is to interact with customers and work with you guys (not just for you). Its invaluable feedback since companies can only have so much time to test, evaluate, etc.

Some of our best improvements have come from user suggestions.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:05:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

My pleasure to be here.

Our experience is to interact with customers and work with you guys (not just for you). Its invaluable feedback since companies can only have so much time to test, evaluate, etc.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My pleasure to be here.

I'll take a 12.5" 300 blk and 16" midlength 5.56 for free

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 2:59:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Hi RogueNathan.
What is the expected round count lifespan for the QPQ Nitride coating in the barrel?
Can you describe your testing to arrive at those numbers?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 4:06:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Hi RogueNathan.
What is the expected round count lifespan for the QPQ Nitride coating in the barrel?
Can you describe your testing to arrive at those numbers?

Thanks
View Quote

A great question. For most people, barrel life is defined as past their point of it being not accurate to their standards. Given this, our standard is about 3-4 MOA for well-worn barrels.

What I can say is we have not formally tested barrels to end of life in a scientific setting, only through our T&E guns that have 10's of thousands of rounds through a barrel. Almost all were copper FMJ lead core rounds.

Based on this, I would say barrel life for 4150 barrels is around 15,000 rounds before the groups open up past our comfort point (defined above). The use of bi-metal bullets will reduce barrel life significantly (but remember, it is cheaper to shoot, even with paying for barrel changes). http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

All in all, our barrels are very much in line with industry standards. We button rifle them, heat treat, stress relieve & QPQ them in accordance with industry best practices. If LuckyGunner or anyone wants to do another epic test for QPQ vs Chrome lining, vs raw, we would happily oblige and have full confidence we will be in line with any other QPQ barre.

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 10:22:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Any issues with your .308 barrels?

Think about picking one up from Recoil Gunworks.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 10:26:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

None at all!

We also have some other barrels coming soon including 18 & 20" Fluted, 18 & 20" Gov't and special profiles.

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 10:27:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

None at all!

We also have some other barrels coming soon including 18 & 20" Fluted, 18 & 20" Gov't and special profiles.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

None at all!

Now you're telling to wait?
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 10:52:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Anyone interested in a 12.5" 300 barrel? All I see are ~8" and ~10"
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 10:53:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

None at all!

Not at all. Just saying if there is a profile that suits your fancy more, they are coming very soon!
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 10:11:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Are all your barrels setup for a pinned or are they dimpled for the set screws for a gas block?
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:01:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Are all your barrels setup for a pinned or are they dimpled for the set screws for a gas block?
View Quote

Wondering this myself. I'm currently torn between one of these Faxon 16" 1:8 barrels or getting a Ballistic Advantage barrel in the same configuration, but the Faxon with the factory-installed LPGB would save me time and a little money.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:40:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

The ones that AIM has have the cutout for the pinned gas block FWIW.   But, no dimples.  Quick fix with some titanium drill bits (took me maybe 5 mins).
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:00:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The ones that AIM has have the cutout for the pinned gas block FWIW.   But, no dimples.  Quick fix with some titanium drill bits (took me maybe 5 mins).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for that update. I have the dimple jig and some solid carbide bits that would probably make quick work of it as well.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:56:27 AM EDT
[#33]
RogueNathan why does your 10.5" 7.62x39 barrel have a 1:8 twist as opposed to 1:10?
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 2:15:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Excellent question!

Two primary reasons.
1: We have found there is no adverse effect on accuracy with 7.62x39 rounds. Having the higher twist also allows hand-loaders to go really heavy grain counts with no issues (like subsonics).
2: We have had shooters increasingly looking to 7.62x39 to suppress. at 1:10, with a low powder load in some ammo, the round may have a baffle strike. Like 1:7 for 300 BLK, 1:8 for 7.62x39 is perfect for those applications.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 2:16:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Thanks for that update. I have the dimple jig and some solid carbide bits that would probably make quick work of it as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

Just be careful once you are through the QPQ. The QPQ is significantly harder to drill through and we had a customer not pay attention and drill through the barrel!
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 2:19:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Our standard barrels are not dimpled. Simply put, there are so many different types of clamp on gas blocks with different dimple patterns, it would be crazy to try and make a barrel for them all!

So, we opted to leave it a standard profile (which also keeps the prices lower by about $5/barrel for the machine time to dimple). We see it as a win-win.

OEMs, large online retailers, and others have ordered custom barrels for their uses before. We are very happy to do the operation for anyone who requests it for a quantity.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:24:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Yep.

Just be careful once you are through the QPQ. The QPQ is significantly harder to drill through and we had a customer not pay attention and drill through the barrel!
View Quote

That had to be a hard lesson to learn!! I did three others, did a very light dimple, and checked my work very carefully during the process. Understand about all the different configurations and look forward to getting my Faxon barrel on Monday.

I will report back once I get it installed in the upper and test fired.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:46:56 AM EDT
[#38]
This is not a request just  simply a question but do you have any plans of make a 18 inch SPR profile barrel?
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:23:26 AM EDT
[#39]
According to AIM (And your web site last I checked) you put 1/2"x28tpi threads on 7.62x39 barrels, is that correct? Normally they have different threads to prevent a 223 devise that wont take a 30 projectile from accidently being installed.

I e mailed you about the twist rate and threads a while back, it was because we had a thread going here about your barrels.............. FYI, whoever gets the e mails at you shop did not reply.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:02:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
This is not a request just  simply a question but do you have any plans of make a 18 inch SPR profile barrel?
View Quote

What would you like to see? We make Socom/Gov't Profile (Pictures will be up next week) that were shooting MOA easily.

There is incredible options for 18" with the amount of material. Are you asking fior a heavier profile behind the gas block?

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:13:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
According to AIM (And your web site last I checked) you put 1/2"x28tpi threads on 7.62x39 barrels, is that correct? Normally they have different threads to prevent a 223 devise that wont take a 30 projectile from accidently being installed.

I e mailed you about the twist rate and threads a while back, it was because we had a thread going here about your barrels.............. FYI, whoever gets the e mails at you shop did not reply.
View Quote

Yikes! I thought I did respond to it. Are you perhaps W H Smith? We even tried to send a coupon code for finding the website error!

The threading is an error (of the cut n paste variety). All .300 caliber barrels have 5/8x24 for that very reason.

Our website has since been fixed. AIM' will be shortly.

BTW- We are running a Black Friday special for 11% off anything on the website."HAPPYARAKTURKEYDAY"

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:01:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Yikes! I thought I did respond to it. Are you perhaps W H Smith? We even tried to send a coupon code for finding the website error!

The threading is an error (of the cut n paste variety). All .300 caliber barrels have 5/8x24 for that very reason.

BTW- We are running a Black Friday special for 11% off anything on the website."HAPPYARAKTURKEYDAY"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope. Not w h smith.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:57:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

What would you like to see? We make Socom/Gov't Profile (Pictures will be up next week) that were shooting MOA easily.

There is incredible options for 18" with the amount of material. Are you asking fior a heavier profile behind the gas block?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The mk12 SPr profile barrels, they have a contour that lets you use the allen engineering collar to center the suppressor:
http://www.shop.superiorbarrels.com/images/SPR.jpg
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 10:39:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Took a look at that barrel and it does not seem to have any special cuts, only an outside profile? Previous MK12 designs we have seen have milling cuts on the barrel for indexing.

Link Posted: 12/1/2014 11:38:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Its only to slip the centering collar on like this:
http://aesuppressors.com/images/sprdrawing.jpg
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 11:53:10 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Its only to slip the centering collar on like this:
http://aesuppressors.com/images/sprdrawing.jpg
View Quote

The drawing is for the barrel tip, but that's an easy profile to do. The tolerances arent too bad either.

We will consider it or are very happy to do a group buy with you guys for a minimum of 25 pieces.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 12:19:46 PM EDT
[#47]
The 7.5" 416R barrel I got has amazing fit and finish. I just got it together this week I will be shooting it on Friday and will report back with accuracy.

Link Posted: 12/1/2014 2:38:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Just found your website a couple of days ago.  Very interested in your pencil weight 16" 5.56, but would much prefer a 14.5" or 14.7".  I will hold off for awhile, to see if they are a possibility.  It's good to see people bringing new products to the market.  Best wishes in your endeavor.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 2:40:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Just found your website a couple of days ago.  Very interested in your pencil weight 16" 5.56, but would much prefer a 14.5" or 14.7".  I will hold off for awhile, to see if they are a possibility.  It's good to see people bringing new products to the market.  Best wishes in your endeavor.
View Quote

We were just about to turn that job loose. Looking for Carbine or Mid-Length?
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 3:06:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

None at all!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

None at all!

This is what I want.  18" gov profile with a rifle length gas and a 1/8 twist.    I would buy it today if it were available.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 26
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top