Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2012 2:56:24 PM EDT
anyone have the NPB bolt carrier? is it worth the $200+?
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 4:01:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Fail Zero does NiB coating. Not NP3.

This topic has been done to death.

Short answer is yes. Long answer is it is up to you to decide if it is worth it to you.

Link Posted: 6/6/2012 7:38:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Short answer is yes. Long answer is it is up to you to decide if it is worth it to you.

Short answer is no IMO. I had one and caused the BCG to be super gritty and lcok up in as little as 300rnds, there are videos online of this.

The Army also recently cancelled the search for a new BCG because een the NiB coated ones from companies like LWRCI only offered a small 10-15% increase in durability but cost $90-$130 more.

So IMO not worth it
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 8:25:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Short answer is no IMO. I had one and caused the BCG to be super gritty and lcok up in as little as 300rnds, there are videos online of this.

The Army also recently cancelled the search for a new BCG because een the NiB coated ones from companies like LWRCI only offered a small 10-15% increase in durability but cost $90-$130 more.

So IMO not worth it

The gritty issue has been covered in other threads.  OP I suggest a google search to pull up those messes.

Sorrow you have a link to data on the Army PIP contest results that states this?

I find it a little hard to swallow that the Army would be factoring in commercial cost differences when I doubt they would have to pay them like we do we buying the amount they would.

In my personal experience with NiB BCGs and receivers the benefit far outweighs the additive cost.
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 8:36:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So IMO not worth it

The gritty issue has been covered in other threads.  OP I suggest a google search to pull up those messes.

Sorrow you have a link to data on the Army PIP contest results that states this?

I find it a little hard to swallow that the Army would be factoring in commercial cost differences when I doubt they would have to pay them like we do we buying the amount they would.

In my personal experience with NiB BCGs and receivers the benefit far outweighs the additive cost.

I do not have a link since its not public, i did get the results of the test that lists the results.

While the actual cost difference wasnt $90-$120 since i was using retailcost for that, the Military costs o the BCG's in the trial was 40% more than a normal BCG and they only offered at best a 10-15% increase, the Army was looking for at least a 25% increase in performance and none of the entrys met that.

I wish i could day more but my friend would slaughter me probably since he said i could only mention it but that was it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 8:46:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Nickel boron is I what I presume you to mean. Nickel boron bolt carrier assemblies can be easily had for $150, so it is completely worth it. I might say, at that price, there is no reason not to get an NiB bolt carrier. Black Rifle Arms also has an interesting carrier, worth checking out. Otherwise, cleaning is super easy, reliability is enhanced tenfold, and it just looks interesting and unique. If for some reason you are referring to the NP3, that is not a bad choice either, but NiB is more durable.
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 8:53:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nickel boron is I what I presume you to mean. Nickel boron bolt carrier assemblies can be easily had for $150, so it is completely worth it. I might say, at that price, there is no reason not to get an NiB bolt carrier. Black Rifle Arms also has an interesting carrier, worth checking out. Otherwise, cleaning is super easy, reliability is enhanced tenfold, and it just looks interesting and unique. If for some reason you are referring to the NP3, that is not a bad choice either, but NiB is more durable.

Saying reliability is enhanced tenfold sounds like a sales add.

If anything its a small upgrade if you get one that works
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 9:18:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You traditionalists are more than welcome to stick with standard, military type issue components, and none of us will hold it against you. However, nickel boron is absolutely an amazing technology that has greatly enhanced the functionality of weapons. Those of use who use it, understand full well its advantages and enjoy sharing our experiences with others, so all may enjoy the privilege of enjoying nickel boron coated products. If a person chooses not to utilize it, it certainly will not hurt me, but I never want to see a person turn down nickel boron because they believe it might be a trivial upgrade.

Frankly, I would like to say that price is the only consideration in deciding whether to use NiB on a bolt carrier, but the cost is minimal when carefully shopping, so I would say that only a very tight budget and/or a lack of desire towards a shiny carrier are the only worthy concerns.
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 9:28:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You traditionalists are more than welcome to stick with standard, military type issue components, and none of us will hold it against you. However, nickel boron is absolutely an amazing technology that has greatly enhanced the functionality of weapons. Those of use who use it, understand full well its advantages and enjoy sharing our experiences with others, so all may enjoy the privilege of enjoying nickel boron coated products. If a person chooses not to utilize it, it certainly will not hurt me, but I never want to see a person turn down nickel boron because they believe it might be a trivial upgrade.

Frankly, I would like to say that price is the only consideration in deciding whether to use NiB on a bolt carrier, but the cost is minimal when carefully shopping, so I would say that only a very tight budget and/or a lack of desire towards a shiny carrier are the only worthy concerns.

Traditionalist.....really?

I guess you missed mu previous posts where I had a NiB BCG and it gummed up and locked up my rifle in 300rnds?
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 9:37:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess you missed mu previous posts where I had a NiB BCG and it gummed up and locked up my rifle in 300rnds?

Your experience with an NiB carrier does not disqualify its advantages.
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 12:57:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your experience with an NiB carrier does not disqualify its advantages.

No it only highlights an actual issue someone had with it.

How many ARs have you owned, and how many had NiB parts?

Tell me, what advantage has it given you? Did your "traditional" non-NiB coated BCGs fail 10x more often? What specific functionality does it "enhance"?

And just so we're clear, I've got an AR with NiB stuff, I understand it, and while its a little easier to clean I wouldn't pay extra for it (not worth the 100% markup for FZ). I certainly wouldn't say it "greatly enhances" ANY functionality.

In short, I'd rather spend my money on an LMT enhanced BCG.
Link Posted: 6/7/2012 12:16:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Were you running it dry or with lube?

If you were using lube, what kind and how much (i.e. soaking wet, a little wet, or a thin film)?

I don't put a lot of faith in the no lube required marketing.  I lube the two I have with Slip EWL and they work fine even with that nasty wolf steel case.

Link Posted: 6/7/2012 3:47:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Were you running it dry or with lube?

If you were using lube, what kind and how much (i.e. soaking wet, a little wet, or a thin film)?

I don't put a lot of faith in the no lube required marketing.  I lube the two I have with Slip EWL and they work fine even with that nasty wolf steel case.

I stopped using lube on mine last year. No problems as of yet.
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 5:35:17 AM EDT
[#13]
I've got about 500rds through my NiB BCG. Haven't experienced ANY grit or discoloration yet. I use lube sparingly and only used a rag to wipe it down.

I also have an NP3 treated upper. Definitely easier to wipe off the grime and easier to identify missed spots.

But all of this is just 'chrome on the bumper' as I've been told. It really boils down to whether or not you find it cost effective. Unless you're trying to abuse your rifle, you may never push the envelope for durability/reliability. You will however benefit from the ease of cleaning. I picked up my complete BCG NiB treated for $150. If I had to pay $200+ I may not have sprung for it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top