Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/30/2009 3:56:30 PM EDT
Just put together a Stag Lower, RRA LPK
Trigger pull is a unreal  #8.5  
How do I tame this thing down, short of installing a Jewell or other expensive Trigger set.
Link Posted: 5/30/2009 4:04:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't feel bad, the factory trigger that came in my Colt 6920 was around 8.5 lbs.

Send your trigger to Bill Springfield.
Link Posted: 5/30/2009 4:21:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Don't feel bad, the factory trigger that came in my Colt 6920 was around 8.5 lbs.

yep.
Link Posted: 5/30/2009 6:14:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Milspec triggers must be at least 9.5lbs, per the 23+P annual gaging and inspection criteria.
Link Posted: 5/31/2009 10:05:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Milspec triggers must be at least 9.5lbs, per the 23+P annual gaging and inspection criteria.

See!!! It is almost milspec!
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 3:36:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

See!!! It is almost milspec!

I meant to say at most 9.5lbs. I guess that really makes a difference too. It's 5.5lbs-9.5lbs is okay. Anything less or more, respectively, is a no-go.

ETA: You're right! I typed 3.5, I meant to say 5.5. I just did gaging a few days ago too. I should shut up and stop posting...
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 6:04:22 AM EDT
[#6]
I think its 5.5-9.5lbs for the spec, BUT I'm NOT positive.  7.5lbs +/- 2lbs?  You'll have to check the TM, but 3.5lbs sounds light to me, is that a no less than before rejected figure?

You can polish the trigger/hammer faces and use a good lube on the faces when re-installing, that would reduce the friction, which isn't going to reduce the pull very much, but it will help.  If you have a dremel, you just need the felt wheels and jewelers rouge.  

The rest of the force is springs and geometry between the faces of the trigger/hammer.  Messing with hammer springs or reducing their force can cause the hammer to strike lighter.  Grinding different angles on triggers/hammers will remove the case hardening (might wear faster) and is easy to screw up and make it malfunction, or at least NOT break cleanly.  Like suggested, for anything more than polishing the surfaces, you might want to send it off to a pro.
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 3:39:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Thats strange. I've never had an AR with a trigger pull above 5 lbs.
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 3:53:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I know the Hammer/Sear Geometry is not correct, as I can watch the Hammer go back before falling forward.
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 6:10:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Well I just got done Stoning & Polishing  the Hammer/Sear and grease it up.
Also Altered the Springs and got it down to a Woppin' #8
It is the Geometry, and I don't want to change that, because I don't want to cut into the Case Harding.
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 4:20:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Send it to Bill Springfield you won't be disappointed. The length of pull will be shortened by 2/3 and the hammer will not move back. I added a JP lightweight spring kit but I have never actually measured the pull weight. I had my parts back a week to the day I mailed them to him.
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 5:51:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I don't see a phone number or address for him on his web site
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 7:10:56 AM EDT
[#12]
You need to e-mail him first.

Click Me
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 3:29:04 PM EDT
[#13]
No bueno..I sent back a trigger to RRA b/c it broke at 7.4 lbs.This was the match 2 stage..Havent heard back from them yet..then again, I havent checked the mail in a while.we shall see.
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 4:07:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 8:22:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have a question.  Does it weaken the metal by removing the case hardening, thus the trigger won't last as long???

Yes, the metal under the case harding is softer.
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 8:25:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
No bueno..I sent back a trigger to RRA b/c it broke at 7.4 lbs.This was the match 2 stage..Havent heard back from them yet..then again, I havent checked the mail in a while.we shall see.

Well I ordered an RRA NM Two Stage today, Hope it is under #5, if not I will send it to Bill.
I really wanted a Two Stage anyways, My Mini and both my 03A3's have Two Stage triggers
The 03's brake at about #5 and the Mini Is crisp at #2.5
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 8:29:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
How do I tame this thing down, short of installing a Jewell or other expensive Trigger set.

Hey Guys!  My trigger is exactly the way it's supposed to be!  Oh teh noes, how do I fixxor it?

You don't.

Calm.  Down.
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 8:33:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey Guys!  My trigger is exactly the way it's supposed to be!  Oh teh noes, how do I fixxor it?

You don't.
Calm.  Down.

Surely you don't  think an #8.5 trigger is a good thing

Link Posted: 6/3/2009 1:08:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't.
Calm.  Down.

If it's a milspec trigger, it's perfectly fine.
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 1:13:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't.
Calm.  Down.

You ever shot an SKS?  The trigger pull on my Yugo must be in the high teens.  I would LOVE an 8.5 pound pull on that thing.
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 5:12:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't.
Calm.  Down.

Are you using a Chrome Lined Barrel?  With normal/military/cheap ammo?  Inside of 300 yards?

Then it won't make a lick of difference.  Fo forth, shoot, and be happy.
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 6:08:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 6:18:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't.
Calm.  Down.

Are you using a Chrome Lined Barrel?  With normal/military/cheap ammo?  Inside of 300 yards?

Not looking to Pray and Spray, I want to actually hit my Taget.
SS Bull Barrel, Handloaded V-Max Bullets, pickin' off 8" tall Diggers at 300yds.

Also for those saying its Milspec and just fine, just because it's Milspec, doesn't make it fine.
I do appreciate all the input

Link Posted: 6/3/2009 6:56:44 AM EDT
[#24]

*facepalm*

Shooting cheap ammo, from a CL barrel, inside of 300, does not = "spray & pray"

If you want a better trigger, by all means get one.  Just know that you're incorrect in thinking that the trigger you have now is somehow defective.
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 8:06:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I know the Hammer/Sear Geometry is not correct, as I can watch the Hammer go back before falling forward.

I'm pretty sure that is CORRECT, it is designed that way, someone correct me if I'm wrong.  Check the TM but I'm NOT sure if that is described in it.

If I remember correctly, the idea is the trigger resets if you only do a partial pull and release it, i.e. it goes back to the original pull weight and length.  I remember the hammer going back, ever so slightly when pulling the trigger during a function check, but its been a while, I could be remembering wrong?
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 4:37:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Just looked it up, Section 1-10 Equipment Data of the -23:
Trigger pull (M16A2 & M4)....................................... 5.5 to 9.5 lb 2.49 to 4.31kg
Trigger pull (M4A1).................................................. 5.5 to 8.5 lb 2.49 to 3.86 kg

Remember these are the spec for Government M16/M4, NOT every manufacturers AR-15, so the trigger pull of various AR's can be different.  I've never measured the ones I used or owned, so I don't know how common the 7.5lb +/- 2lb is.  Someone stated all their AR's have triggers less than 5lbs, so some obviously are less then the military spec.

I could NOT find any reference to the hammer rotating back while the trigger is pulled, until it breaks and the hammer falls. My AR is completely disassembled being painted, so I can't check myself.  Its been so long since I've done the check, I'm NOT 100% confident, but I'm pretty sure its normal for the hammer to pull back a little as you pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 4:58:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

*facepalm*
If you want a better trigger, by all means get one.  Just know that you're incorrect in thinking that the trigger you have now is somehow defective.

Wasn't saying it is defective, Just saying #8 Plus trigger pull sucks.
I just like Triggers that break below #3, even my Carry guns have Triggers less than #3
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 4:10:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 6:37:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

*facepalm*

Wasn't saying it is defective, Just saying #8 Plus trigger pull sucks.
I just like Triggers that break below #3, even my Carry guns have Triggers less than #3

Then I hope to hell you have a really good lawyer on speed dial or you practice under very stressful conditions a LOT, because no-one recommends a defensive pistol having less than a 4# trigger. With most pushing that towards 4.5 to 5# as a minimum.

Recommends is just that, "Reccommend" there is no law that states a trigger must be above a certian pull weight.
I have heard all the agruments, but I will continue to carry what I am comfortable with.
But thanks for the concern

Link Posted: 6/4/2009 6:42:16 AM EDT
[#30]
That's my understanding of the Military Preference of heavier and longer trigger pulls, safety. The intent it NOT the tightest groups on targets, its hitting the right guy at the right time and NOT hitting your own guys next to you or yourself as you jump/dive/climb/crawl with the weapon.  

I'm NOT positive, but I'm pretty sure that is why you see the hammer pull back a bit with the trigger during the function check, mechanically it makes sense to me, you do a partial pull but release before firing, the hammer and trigger will reset back to the original starting point and the next pull will still be the same weight and length before the hammer falls.  If the geometry was such that the hammer did NOT pull back with the trigger, then on a partial pull, the trigger could remain at rest at the partial pull point on the hammer, then the next pull could be far less in weight and length, and an unexpected change in the trigger to boot.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 7:56:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't.
Calm.  Down.

Not looking to Pray and Spray, I want to actually hit my Taget.
SS Bull Barrel, Handloaded V-Max Bullets, pickin' off 8" tall Diggers at 300yds.

Also for those saying its Milspec and just fine, just because it's Milspec, doesn't make it fine.
I do appreciate all the input

So you have a high performance sports car on a budget set of tires.

Get a 2 stage or deal with what you have.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 10:32:50 AM EDT
[#32]

It's normal, all of my RRA LPKs have about 8# trigger pull or thereabout, and usually settle 7# and some change after a thousand rounds or so.

Notice, I said it's normal for most standard LPKs. If you want better, send it off for work, or get a good aftermarket.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 3:25:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

So you have a high performance sports car on a budget set of tires.
Get a 2 stage or deal with what you have.

Already did, see post  #17
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 11:03:00 AM EDT
[#34]
When I put my RRA LPK in my Spikes lower I put a dab of FLITZ metal polish on both engagement surfaces of my hammer and dry fired (with thumb capture) about 300 times and them used a bit of red bearing grease, it feels pretty smooth now.
I picked up a unmarked LPR from SOG last week for my second Spikes lower and noticed the Trigger had some machining ridges on the engagement surface I hit that very lightly with a cloth wheel and white rouge
it feels decent but I will do the FLITZ thing with it as well.
FLITZ is an excellent metal polish, I slicked an SKS action up very nicely that way.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 4:45:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 8:21:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Just installed an RRA NM Two Stage
What a Difference, Crisp at #4.75
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 1:12:34 AM EDT
[#37]
I had installed a No Name LPK in a Spike's lower, and the trigger pull on it was BAD, I lightly polished it and lubed it heavily, and got it much better, tonight I replaced it with the FCG from a CMT/STAG LPK
and greased it up well it was SO MUCH smoother and cleaner, what a difference.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 6:29:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Like some others mentioned send it and $50 to Bill Springfield if you want a 3lb trigger (he has a $35 4lb option too)......A guy at my range had Bill's work done on his trigger and it's great.    My RRA stock one will hopefully be dropped off by the mailman today....i went with the 3lb job.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 10:25:27 AM EDT
[#39]
I've been digging & searching last couple of weeks on a replacement trigger, My trigger pull was greater than the weight of the rifle.  I've polished everything up and it's smooth and light with weak springs but I wouldn't trust it as a SD gun.

The more I look for replacements the more I think I want to go back to an unmolested factory trigger.  

All factory single stage trigger manufacturers equal in quality?  Bushy, Stag, DPMS etc ?
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 10:32:03 AM EDT
[#40]
The case hardening issue is a thing of the past if you use quality trigger groups. As far as I know no one case hardens their components any more.

How do you guys think folks like Bill Springfield get those nice 3 to 4 pound creep free pulls.........they change the geometry, hence grind/stone the components.

Some things (bad info) never die on this site.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top