Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/4/2008 10:15:34 AM EDT
updated:  I have been communicating with the shop that did this work, AR15performance.com He goes by "Constructor" on the forums and was not willing to accept responsibility, but did say it I sent it back he would "take a look at it"  He blamed the centering issue on the Badger handguard (although it was centered with the old barrel).  I sent it to badge and they replaced the base for the handguard which fixed it.  The old base was all buggered up from being removed then put back on by AR15performance.   Badger also fixed the gas block.    I asked AR15performance to cover the cost at badger but he is ignoring me.

Am I wrong to want him to pay the fix?

I sent my upper to a shop for a new barrel.  When I got it back there were several things that were disappointing to me.  I contacted the shop that did the work and he was unapologetic but said I could send it back and he would" take a look at it".

I believe it is a one man shop so the same person would work on it again, therefor a bad idea to send to the same shop.  Do you agree with that?  Do you agree this is crappy work?

I don't want to identify the shop at this time, since it is an open deal.  It is not a sponsor on this forum, but one that gets mentioned from time to time.  If you are getting work done you can PM me if these photos concern you and I'll let you know if you are sending to this same shop.

ETA: My health does not allow much workbench time so I can't do my own.

problems:

- Gas tube pin does not go through the other side of the block.  It is beat to a mushroom head and still sticks out on one side
-Handguard is off center. but was centered when I sent it in
-Rail does not match from receiver to handguard.  It did when i sent it to him
-The front of the receiver was not dinged up when I sent it in
- bunged up mess at barrel/barrel nut area

I am afraid to even fire the thing because of the things I can see they are all bad, so what about the things I can't see?  

Link Posted: 11/4/2008 10:28:33 AM EDT
[#1]
do it yourself.
Link Posted: 11/4/2008 10:35:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
do it yourself.

+1
Link Posted: 11/4/2008 10:48:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Detail your concerns in writing, and include copies of the pics.  Send it to the gunsmith via certified mail.  If he doesn't make it right, take him to small claims court and get your money back.  If you have pictures of the rifle before he did the work, it will give you a stronger case in front of the judge.
Link Posted: 11/4/2008 10:50:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/4/2008 12:02:11 PM EDT
[#5]
tag
Link Posted: 11/4/2008 7:54:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:33:32 PM EDT
[#7]
update in original post in blue
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:50:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Chalk it up to lesson learned. Yes, it was his fault.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 4:32:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 6:20:45 AM EDT
[#10]
if he pays you i'd be surprised.  although he should, considering he had a chance to fix it and didn't...  you're duty bound and obligated to let others know you got the shaft...

sorry this happened...

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 10:04:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
he should have paid for return shipping to properly fix the gun. I doubt you will see a dime from him to pay for someone else's work. All you can do is make it know so others know what kind of work he turns out.

been burned like this a few times myself.

Sloppy work...sorry to see this happen......

Been burned myself from even more notable dealers...one keep everything I sent him
over $4000 worth of parts,lowers,uppers,railed forends,stocks etc..

He kept our Marine and Army nephews stuff as well as my wife and daughters..

On the one hand at least you got your stuff back...

We had to re-buy our nephews weapons for them..(One graduates Marine BRC in three weeks the other gets commissioned this time next year...we had to sacrifice a bit but at least they got rifles)

Thanks to the OP for posting this though...was the right thing to do...you have saved some folks some severe
aggravation...

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 4:12:24 PM EDT
[#12]
how can you expect him to pay for the adjustments without sending it to him to begin with??? Bagder is a great company no doubt but you should have sent it back in the first place and let him take appropriate measures then bring it to the forums it doesnt pan out.

I've had a GAP AR10 with the same configuration with the stock railed gas block that was in contact with the bottom aspect of the handguard....send it in and fixed...a little inconvenient but oh well.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 5:29:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
how can you expect him to pay for the adjustments without sending it to him to begin with??? Bagder is a great company no doubt but you should have sent it back in the first place and let him take appropriate measures then bring it to the forums it doesnt pan out.

I've had a GAP AR10 with the same configuration with the stock railed gas block that was in contact with the bottom aspect of the handguard....send it in and fixed...a little inconvenient but oh well.

I talked to him about it and he said the problem was with the handguard, not with his work.  He was not willing to deal with that portion.  

I did not outline every communication in my comments above because that much detail gets boring.  But there were several exchanges back and forth all polite by me and brushed off by him....

But again when he said that the problem was with the BO, I contacted BO, who agreed to take care of their product.  The verdict was the product was improperly handled so it was not warranty.

ETA: Reading your post, I just want to be sure that you know Badger was the good guy, AR15performance was the bad guy.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 8:58:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
he should have paid for return shipping to properly fix the gun. I doubt you will see a dime from him to pay for someone else's work. All you can do is make it know so others know what kind of work he turns out.

Been burned myself from even more notable dealers...one keep everything I sent him

We had to re-buy our nephews weapons for them..(One graduates Marine BRC in three weeks the other gets commissioned this time next year...we had to sacrifice a bit but at least they got rifles)

Thanks to the OP for posting this though...was the right thing to do...you have saved some folks some severe
aggravation...

It's good to know who does good work and who doesn't.

9divdoc, may I ask who "permanently borrowed" your family's guns?  I've been ripped by supposedly good businesses, too.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 9:59:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

aggravation...

So then why do you protect the crooks  by not telling us who they are??????  If what you are saying is the truth, then you have nothing to worry about as far as libel or anything like that, if that is why you don't say who.  For that kind of money, you need to have somebody in court.   When you don't tell who screwed you over, you're enabling them to do it to someone again.
Let me guess.....Randall of AR15Barrels.com

Link Posted: 11/23/2008 1:08:07 PM EDT
[#16]
I fired the gun and it is short stroking.  I messed with it and determine the gas hole is not lining up completely. I have posted photos of the gas port and such in other places asking questions on how to solve it.  Surprisingly the man who screwed it up,(Harrison Beene, ar15performance.com, Constructor on the forums) just sent me an e-mail threatening legal action for posting the photos and story.  Threats of legal action, not offers to fix the rifle he screwed up... Have I commit libel as he accuses?

Link Posted: 11/23/2008 1:34:51 PM EDT
[#17]
If you are telling a truthful, factual story that you can back up, then you dont have libel and slander concerns.   Anyone can try to sue anyone for anything, but when a real attorney hears the facts of this case, and realizes that this would be money, time and resources spent chasing a losing deal, it won't go anywhere.
In fact, isn't it true that often the losing side has to pay the legal fees for the winner?
Any attorneys reading?

Look up libel and slander.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defamation

It looks like the common thread for being at risk is saying false things.   Duh...as it should be.
Link Posted: 11/23/2008 1:40:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/23/2008 1:48:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Sounds like shoddy work if gun is short stroking.

keep us posted OP.
Link Posted: 11/23/2008 2:40:55 PM EDT
[#20]
This one of the many things I love about reading ARFcom.   Besides learning a LOT, I find out where to spend my money, and where not to.
Link Posted: 11/23/2008 3:40:19 PM EDT
[#21]
On the legal threat.  I worked corporately for years and learned never say anything you don't want thrown in your face in front of the boss or a Judge... and to always document problems and never delete e-mail.

I put a thread in another category about the short stroking.  I was contacted by a super guy that is going to help me with it,, So just adding it here so you can see what I was talking about.

IF you look at the photos below it appears that the gas block is drilled a bit too close to the shoulder, so the gas block cannot get over the gas port in the barrel.  it is also off left/right.    By where the hole is drilled you can see a dimple where he started to drill it correctly centered L/R, but even further back towards the sholder.

Link Posted: 11/23/2008 4:51:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/23/2008 5:11:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
- - to both parties equally

ADCO, I know you have seen some unreasonable picky customers so have sympathy to a service provider, but did you catch the part about the gun doesn't cycle?
Link Posted: 11/23/2008 11:49:38 PM EDT
[#24]
So he drilled the gsa port?
Link Posted: 11/24/2008 7:46:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So he drilled the gsa port?

Yes, the shop that did the work drilled the gas port.   It is about 3/8 of the width of the port, to close to the shoulder.

I was contacted by a person who does some barrels and he had the solution for me.  Either I or he will shorten the gas block (end that meets the shoulder) so it will line up with the hole in the barrel.  The logic being the gas block is relatively cheap, so just in case I screw it up the first time not much lost.

Looks like I am going to spend this winter hunting with a single shot though.  My first hunt is this weekend and hope to be out every weekend until the end of Jan.  Other then the constant reminder it is not a big problem.  I am a careful hunter, and other then bird hunting don't need rapid follow up shots.
Link Posted: 11/24/2008 11:26:35 AM EDT
[#26]
if you trim off the gas block and place it rearward the gas tube will protrude too far rearward thus it won't potentially lock up...

if we're talking a thousandth or two, you'll probably be ok, but if it is very much, you'll have an all new problem to contend with...

if you're gas port is too big or too small, that can be dealt with easily.  if it is in the wrong spot, you're fucked...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top