Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/8/2007 11:39:06 AM EDT
After looking around for a quality upper using a CMV barrel, I settled on a OPERATOR build by Denny of GTS.  

Initially, I was looking at BCM, but I wanted a medium contour (I'm still gonna get one, though, when they become available).  I also looked at SABRE DEFENCE, but BCM has them beat with with their HPT/MPI of ALL barrels.  Noveske's N4 LITE upper was also considered, but I did not want a 14.5" with a permanently attached FS; however, I hear that they may be producing a 16" version of their N4 LITE upper in the future.

So, after A LOT OF CONTEMPLATING (biggest sticking point for me was the lack of HPT), I settled on the Operator build.  Plus, after reading so many positive reviews about his builds and barrels, I was convinced that I was going to get a kick ass upper.

Whew!  This took awhile, but I'm a picky bastard.  

I am completely looking forward to receiving this build from Denny.  And based on all the feedback I've read, I know that I'll be very content with the build and overall quality of compenents purchased.

Upper specs:

*16" Operator barrel, 4150 CMV steel (MP tested), medium contour
*CMT M4 upper receiver (complete) with M4 cuts
*Troy BUIS
*CMT charging handle with PRI tac latch
*BCM brand bolt carrier group (MP tested, propery staked, shot peened, appropriate fastners for gas key, etc.)

Lower specs:

*Stag receiver with Stag LPK (was looking at an all LMT LPK, but that was $152) Going to add a Colt disconnector and hammer spring, tho.
*Magpul CTR stock (FDE) with CMT 6 position mil spec receiver extension
*Thinking about a Magpul grip, not sure yet.

Rail/HG:

*Cav Arms middy H/Gs in FDE for now
*Waiting on DD making the OMEGA rail into a mid length
*TD VFG in FDE
Link Posted: 12/8/2007 11:41:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Pretty good choices in parts there.  
Link Posted: 12/8/2007 12:03:51 PM EDT
[#2]
You'll be pleased.

It really likes the heavy stuff.

Federal GMM 77gr. SMKs, no wind, ~60 degrees, 5 shot groups from .6 to .75" at 100 yards.

I am not a great rifle shooter, but I got several groups with above measurements from the bench with only a front sandbag rest.

Also good to know that the upper has a lifetime warranty from Denny.
Link Posted: 12/8/2007 12:49:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You'll be pleased.

It really likes the heavy stuff.

Federal GMM 77gr. SMKs, no wind, ~60 degrees, 5 shot groups from .6 to .75" at 100 yards.

I am not a great rifle shooter, but I got several groups with above measurements from the bench with only a front sandbag rest.

Also good to know that the upper has a lifetime warranty from Denny.

Good!  More positive feedback.  And thanks for letting me know about the lifetime warranty!
Link Posted: 12/8/2007 2:09:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm going to buy some 75gr Hornady stuff, but most of my fodder is SA and XM193 55gr FMJ.
Link Posted: 12/9/2007 8:53:58 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'm going to buy some 75gr Hornady stuff, but most of my fodder is SA and XM193 55gr FMJ.

I think that's a great idea.  I had the Gold Medal Match SMKs in an ammo can...I think I paid $9 per box during a going out of business sale.

It'll be an expensive venture for you, but well worth it to gain an appreciation for what a chrome-lined Operator barrel can do.

Denny had told me the operator "really likes the heavy stuff", but I had to see it for myself.  I was more than satisfied.
Link Posted: 12/9/2007 11:50:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I wonder how well the barrel will shoot 68/69 gr ammo?  
Link Posted: 12/9/2007 12:52:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I hear all good about Denny Operator barrels
I dont have one myself
But do have 2 LMT M4 14.5 1/7 twist

Black Hills Blue box 77gr  Kicks ass in both my M4`s
useing my Aimpoint ML2 with 4moa dot
At 50yards I can keep all rounds touching in the 10 ring of a 50yard Small Bore Rifle Target

Very happy with Black Hills Blue box 77gr
The Black hills White box 5.56mm 77gr is next on the list
I use Black Hills 75gr for Protection and is Almost as accurate as the 77gr SMK loads

Havent tried Black Hills Red Box 77/75 since Blue is doing great

The Federal gold medal 69gr BTHP is some accurate ammo also
I used it mostly in my Bushmaster 1/9 twist
Before selling them
Link Posted: 12/9/2007 2:18:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Any particular reason for wanting the Omega vs a standard one piece rail like the DD Lite or LaRue?
Link Posted: 12/9/2007 2:35:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Any particular reason for wanting the Omega vs a standard one piece rail like the DD Lite or LaRue?

I like the DD Omega myself
But bought a KAC RAS  a few years to early

For me it would be easy to install compared to other FFrails
Link Posted: 12/9/2007 2:52:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

The DD Omega, at least to me, just seems like a very simple and easy way to FF the barrel.  I also like the capacity to take off the rail and get to the barrel in order to clean out any debris, gunk, crap, etc.  To me, the Omega is the choice for those guys who don't have all the tools or know-how to mess with a one-piece FF rail.  Granted, the DIY guide on AR15.com seems to show that it isn't a big deal, but YMMV.
Link Posted: 12/9/2007 3:06:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Where are the sexy pics??!!
Link Posted: 12/9/2007 3:11:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Just ordered it Friday evening and I haven't put togehter my lower, yet.  But, the pics will be forthcoming, I promise.
Link Posted: 12/9/2007 4:04:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice!  You will like the Operator. I went LMT instead of CMT with my build.
LMT Upper
LaRue 9.0
LMT FA BCG
Black TD Shorty VFG
LaRue BUIS
Eotech 512 on LaRue Mount  I also have a LaRue cantilever waiting for a Aimpoint
Trying to decide on TD rail covers or KAC.
SureFire M951 with Clicky

I dont have my lower and trigger yet.  It's currenty mounted on a RRA lower . I do have the stock grip and trigger guard.
LMT Lower
BlackErgo grip
Magpul Trigger Guard
Black SOPMOD stock
Geissele SSA Trigger

I am not sure if I am going to get the LAV BFG 2 point sling or the LaRue Vtac 2 pt.
I will probably end up with a Tango Down PR-4 sling mount.

My Digi camera is 10-0 right now and I am trying to find the USB cable for my old Sony 1.3 MP camera since my computer doesnt have a floppy drive.
Link Posted: 12/9/2007 4:09:42 PM EDT
[#14]
LMT sells upper individual upper receivers?  Hmm, I shoulda went with that instead.  But, are LMT receivers made by LMT or CMT???

ETA:  That's a nice setup, GreenRifle!
Link Posted: 12/9/2007 6:15:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
LMT sells upper individual upper receivers?  Hmm, I shoulda went with that instead.  But, are LMT receivers made by LMT or CMT???

ETA:  That's a nice setup, GreenRifle!

LMT doesn't sell bare receivers. Some dealers part complete units out and sell them.

I've used CMT uppers with no issues.

Link Posted: 12/10/2007 10:09:49 AM EDT
[#16]
You will be fine with a CMT, it's what Paul builds his BCM uppers on. You cant go wrong, Especially with Denny building your Operator.  I also originally wanted a BCM middy but didn't  buy one.... stupidly, what a great value!
Link Posted: 12/10/2007 5:39:23 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
You will be fine with a CMT, it's what Paul builds his BCM uppers on. You cant go wrong, Especially with Denny building your Operator.  I also originally wanted a BCM middy but didn't  buy one.... stupidly, what a great value!

Good to know.  By the way, in talking to BCM it sounds like their uppers may be available in the spring time.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2007 2:58:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Just checked my email and it stated that my upper has shipped.  I can not wait to get this thing.  

By the way, that was freaking fast, as I ordered the upper on Friday and it is shipping today.  Dayum.
Link Posted: 12/11/2007 3:16:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/11/2007 4:18:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Well, based on all the feedback I've read (NONE of it negative), I'm pretty sure that I'll be satisfied.  I can not wait to get this thing.  I'm also looking at buying a magnified optic to see what the barrel can do.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2007 4:35:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/11/2007 6:14:37 PM EDT
[#22]
I just put an upper together tonight using an Operator barrel. My Christmas present.

Link Posted: 12/11/2007 6:19:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Good call!

Mike
Link Posted: 12/11/2007 10:46:52 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I just put an upper together tonight using an Operator barrel. My Christmas present.

Yep, this is my X-Mas present to myself as well!
Link Posted: 12/12/2007 4:36:53 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, this is my X-Mas present to myself as well!

Nice!
Link Posted: 12/14/2007 2:04:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Received my Operator upper yesterday.  Will be posting pics as soon as I get my new digi cam up and going.
Link Posted: 12/14/2007 4:46:21 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Received my Operator upper yesterday.  Will be posting pics as soon as I get my new digi cam up and going.

OH YEAAAHH!!!!
Link Posted: 12/15/2007 4:12:04 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I wonder how well the barrel will shoot 68/69 gr ammo?  

Mine does OK with 69 SMK (can't seem to find a load to do better than 1 MOA with 69's, but still working on it), does better alot better with 75 and really shines with 77 SMK's (~ .5 MOA if I lay off the caffiene). Just my experience with mine. I'm going to order another barrel and build another this spring.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2007 4:38:34 PM EDT
[#29]
As promised, here are the pics of my GTS Operator upper.  So far, everything looks good.  I can't wait to get her out to the range as soon as my lower is completed.  The only gripe that I had was the somewhat "loose" D-RING, which allows some left to right rotation with HG's on. Eh, it's not a biggie, as I'm going to slap on a DD OMEGA RAIL, which'll eliminate any of the wiggle I currently have with standard HGs.  

By the way, the pics were taken with a Canon SD750.  I'm still learning how to effectively use it, but I think the pics came out decent.  It has a pretty good macro mode, IMHO.

Link Posted: 12/16/2007 5:37:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Nice!
Link Posted: 12/16/2007 5:45:22 PM EDT
[#31]
You're going to like it
Link Posted: 12/16/2007 6:12:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Can't wait till she's all put together!
Link Posted: 12/24/2007 8:20:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Thought I'd post some really bad pics of my operator build to motivate you

Before I post 'em, I'll tell you once more that these barrels REALLY like the heavy stuff.  Again, I am no shooter, but I was able to put 5 rounds of Fed. Gold Medal 77gr. smks into .6" and another group at .7".

Yesterday I went through 100 rounds of mixed 55gr. stuff.  I shot two 10 rounds groups, impromptu off a front bag rest, into 1.25" and just over 1.25" using Hornady 55gr. (ballistic tip).  Steady tailwind at ~20mph with gusts from right to left at ~10-15mph.  Terrible day for shooting, but I go when I can

With a better trigger nut, the groups would certainly be smaller.

specs as follows:

operator barrel 16"
Vortex FH
CMT upper
PRI front flip
Matech rear buis
LaRue SPR mount
Denny's enhanced BCG
Magpul CTR
Chip McCormick 2nd gen single stage
KNS pins (I don't care for the e-clip pins provided by CMC)
RRA lower (LMT LPK)
Daniel Defense 12" rail
cmmg lo-pro gas block

The scope is a used Countersniper I picked up off the EE.  Figured I'd give it a shot.  So far? it's ok.  I've noticed some peripheral distortion at 1x so it's not a true 1x.  The glass is good.  Adjustments track fine (no lag between reticle movement and knob adjustment, no problems with holding zero).  Turrets are locking.  Stil haven't beat it up enough to comment definitively.
Link Posted: 12/24/2007 10:54:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Rob:  Thanks for sharing your Operator pics.  I'm still waiting on a Colt disconnector, some other small parts and on my Cavalry Arms coyote brown HGs.  I'm hoping to slap together my lower this Wednesday or Thursday if my parts come in today.  

By the way, those are some pretty impressive group sizes you're shooting there!  I'm especially impressed with the 1.25" groups you're getting with plain old 55 gr fodder.  Nice!  I'm hoping to pick up 1K of 75 gr Hornady TAP in January.  Wonder how she'll do with those loads.
Link Posted: 12/24/2007 2:14:16 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Rob:  Thanks for sharing your Operator pics.  I'm still waiting on a Colt disconnector, some other small parts and on my Cavalry Arms coyote brown HGs.  I'm hoping to slap together my lower this Wednesday or Thursday if my parts come in today.  

By the way, those are some pretty impressive group sizes you're shooting there!  I'm especially impressed with the 1.25" groups you're getting with plain old 55 gr fodder.  Nice!  I'm hoping to pick up 1K of 75 gr Hornady TAP in January.  Wonder how she'll do with those loads.

The Hornady 55gr. stuff was shot last to ensure my scope had held zero.

The other stuff was to ensure function.

I had some short-stroking issues due to a misplaced gas block.  This was the first range trip after getting it fixed.

You'll be pleased with the accuracy.
Link Posted: 12/24/2007 2:26:11 PM EDT
[#36]
R U still in Cali?

Thats an awful expensikve fabforgery if so..

Congrats if you escaped.
Link Posted: 12/24/2007 3:30:01 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had some short-stroking issues due to a misplaced gas block.  This was the first range trip after getting it fixed.

Who built your upper?  Was it Denny?
Link Posted: 12/25/2007 4:50:52 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who built your upper?  Was it Denny?

yes.

the gas block wasn't completely against the barrel shoulder and it was undergassed.

I emailed him, he said send it in.  He got it friday, he shipped it monday morning.

Very easy.  Very free.
Link Posted: 12/25/2007 2:38:30 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
After looking around for a quality upper using a CMV barrel, I settled on a OPERATOR build by Denny of GTS.  

Initially, I was looking at BCM, but I wanted a medium contour (I'm still gonna get one, though, when they become available).  I also looked at SABRE DEFENCE, but BCM has them beat with with their HPT/MPI of ALL barrels.  Noveske's N4 LITE upper was also considered, but I did not want a 14.5" with a permanently attached FS; however, I hear that they may be producing a 16" version of their N4 LITE upper in the future.

So, after A LOT OF CONTEMPLATING (biggest sticking point for me was the lack of HPT), I settled on the Operator build.  Plus, after reading so many positive reviews aobut his builds and barrels, I was convinced that I was going to get a kick ass upper.

Whew!  This took awhile, but I'm a picky bastard.  PICKY BASTARDS UNITE!

I am completely looking forward to receiving this build from Denny.  And base on all the feedback I've read, I know that I'll be very content with the build and overall quality of compenents purchased.

Upper specs:

*16" Operator barrel, 4150 CMV (MP tested) CHECK
*CMT M4 upper receiver (complete) CHECK
*Troy BUIS PRI, nearly the same thing
*CMT charging handle with PRI tac latch
*BCM brand bolt carrier group (MP tested, propery staked, shot peened, appropriate fastners for gas key, etc.)

Lower specs:

*Stag receiver with Stag LPK (was looking at an all LMT LPK, but that was $152) Going to add a Colt disconnector and hammer spring, tho.
*Magpul CTR stock (FDE) with CMT 6 position mil spec receiver extension CHECK
*Thinking about a Magpul grip, not sure yet.

Rail/HG:

*Cav Arms middy H/Gs in FDE for now
*Waiting on DD making the OMEGA rail into a mid length  DD LITE
*TD VFG in FDE

Link Posted: 12/25/2007 3:16:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/25/2007 3:43:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/25/2007 4:15:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/25/2007 4:33:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/25/2007 6:17:13 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
i87.photobucket.com/albums/k132/pseudonominus/DSCN1554.jpg

How did you get pre 2000 preban PMAGs in Cali?
Link Posted: 12/25/2007 7:10:51 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
R U still in Cali?

Congrats if you escaped.

Yep, it's an expensive clone.  But, don't be so concerned, as I have relatives in Neveda.  
Link Posted: 12/25/2007 7:12:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Hawkeye and Zygote:  Bitchin rifles!
Link Posted: 12/25/2007 7:16:41 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:
R U still in Cali?

Congrats if you escaped.

Yep, it's an expensive clone.  But, don't be so concerned, as I have relatives in Neveda.  

I'm in the same boat. All my new builds are completed and left in Nevada or Michigan. But i visit my misplaced children often.
Link Posted: 12/25/2007 7:36:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Here's some bad pics (sorry) of my Operator build for motivation while you're waiting for yours.

Upper specs:
16" Operator barrel (first batch)
Colt 6721 M4 upper receiver
Troy BUIS
Colt CH
Colt M16 BCG with Bravo Company CS extractor spring upgrade

Lower specs:
Colt 6721 lower receiver
Magpul MIAD (FDE) with Magpul aluminum trigger guard
Vltor 5 position receiver extension spring & CAR buffer set
Vltor EMOD stock (FDE)

Rail/ HG:
LaRue 9.0 rail
TD rail panels (FDE)
TD VFG (FDE)
Daniel Defense rail offset QR sling mount

Other:
Aimpoint with LaRue cantilever QD mount
Surefire M961C weaponlight
Viking Tactics-LaRue VTAC padded QR two point sling

Parts that I originally had on my original build but are upgraded now:
(I moved them on my other AR or for my future build projects)
KAC 300m BUIS
KAC Aimpoint straight high mount
Vltor club foot tan Modstock
Blue Force Gear IDF style two point sling & QR swivels

I would highly recommend the Magpul MIAD grip, it's the grip that would likely fit your hands because of it's adjustable size back straps.

When I was building my Operator I also patiently waited for my lower receiver, rails and barrel but it was worth it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2007 10:05:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Okay, finally put my lower together.  It took me a little while, but, hey, it was my first lower.  I also used a COLT disconnector, because the CMT one tha came in the CMT LPK looked like crap.  I also used a COLT trigger and hammer spring.  I think an LMT or Colt LPK is in my future for the next lower.  My selector switch also had some slight play in it, but nothing major.  No longer an issue.   My buddy's selector switch, however, engages smartly, which is a Stag lower tha I put together with a CMT LPK yesterday (went together a lot faster the second time around).  I'm still waiting on my CAV ARMS coyote brown HGs, tho, to complete my rifle.

My rifle is heavier than my buddy's due my Operators medium contour, but I like the extra heft.  I can also see why the government profile M4 is touted as being a handy CQB rifle due to it's light weight.  He has a 14.5" barrelled upper (using an SDI barrel) with a permanently attached extended A2 FS.

As soon as I get my HGs in, my buddy and I are going to go zero our rifles.  I have some 55gr SA to do initial sight in, but I have some SWEEDISH 62 gr GP 90 ammo for some "accuracy testing."  I cant wait to get some 75 gr TAP, tho.

Link Posted: 12/31/2007 10:53:52 AM EDT
[#50]
My Operator upper is one of my best shooting uppers!
You will not regret it!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top