Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2006 6:54:28 PM EDT
I ordered what was advertised as a "Vortex Flash Hider" from Gunsmoke Enterprises and from what I received in the mail today, it looks as if I got screwed.  I haven't used it yet so I can't tell you if it works as advertised, but there's no doubt what they sold me is a knock off of the real thing.  The item sold to me has four prongs that are cut in the same fashion as the prongs found on a Vortex Flashhider however, the prongs on the item Gunsmoke Enterprises sold me are straight as an arrow, ie: there's no sprial / "Vortex" induced to the prongs.   The item I received was advertised and sold as a "Vortex Flash Hider" by Gunsmoke Enterprises, paid for and shipped interstate commerce via U.S. Mail.   (Im thinking mail fraud here.)   Question: Is "Vortex" a brand name flash hider or merely a design that anyone can make themselves and sell under the "Vortex" name?

P.S.  I saw the thread warning people away from Gunsmoke Enterprises AFTER I placed this order.  I assumed they were a legitimate company due to the fact that AR15.com has a link to their website on the AR Pistol forum....

Link is on this thread

Does AR15.com recommend Gunsmoke Enterprises as a legitimate company to do business with?

Thanks for any input.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:08:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't comment on what AR15.com considers Gunsmoke Enterprises.  What they sold you is either an early model Vortex or, more likely a Young Vortec flash suppressor.  They are stock on the POF piston uppers and are somewhat less effective than the curved Smith Vortex.

TS
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:15:25 PM EDT
[#2]
This place is still in business? Is this the east coast distributor for Botach?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:10:05 AM EDT
[#3]
ther are plenty of dealers here that are very reputable and will sell you what they advertise.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:58:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:29:27 PM EDT
[#5]
They are advertising a Vortex and it is priced at $40 like a Vortex.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:06:58 PM EDT
[#6]
It is a Vortex Gen 2. They are also sold on DSA's web site.They sell it for $30.
DSA
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:17:27 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
It is a Vortex Gen 2. They are also sold on DSA's web site.They sell it for $30.
DSA

The name "Gen 2" sounds as if this is a second generation of the Vortex flash hider.  In an email response to me, Gunsmoke Ent. said their "Vortex" is the old style/original Vortex.  How many generation/versions of the Vortex are there?  Does the Gen2 work as well as the Smith Vortex?  It'll be at least three weeks before I will have a free weekend to do night fire.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:59:11 AM EDT
[#8]
There are 6 versions - the current being the G6 or G6A2.

I thought they ALL had a twist to them...
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:24:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I have the same flash suppressor and purchased it and some other items from GSE last year.  I can't tell you if I got screwed or not, as it seems to work.  My range is pretty much covered with baffles and fairly dark on an overcast day.  My 8 3/8 Model 29 really lights the place up.

I can't detect any flash from the side or rear.  Before anybody says ANYTHING, I could with the birdcage that was on it before.  This is on a 16" barrel.  I haven't found a test subject to report from downrange.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:36:25 PM EDT
[#10]
The early Vortex flash suppressors had straight tines, not spiraled like the current iterations.

History of the Vortex thread
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:44:34 PM EDT
[#11]
very early ones.  

i don't think this guy got a vortex.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top