Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2005 2:49:24 PM EDT
I'm tired of waiting for the pseudo vaporware MRS, so now looking at free float rail handguards for a build or two I need to put together.  I got to see and handle a couple of Daniel Defense units in the last couple weeks and was very impressed.  I've yet to see a LaRue in person so would like opinions from anyone who's dealt with both.

Some of the random things that impressed me about the DD:
- the rails seemed dehorned/deburred - didn't seem likely to be uncomfortable or to cut through skin or gear
- much narrower, better grip than other free float tubes (rail or not) that I've seen.  really nice with the rail ladders installed.  I don't use a VFG so the grip size and feel is important to me.
- lightweight

Additional selection criteria:
- I'm a homebuilder so I need to be able to assemble it with a minimum of additional tools (beyond the basic AR tools I already have)
- LaRue has the 13.2 length available which is a big plus... more sight radius for flip up type sights and covers the gas block on rifle length gas systems.

I also noticed from photos that the LaRue has less space below the barrel to the rail than the DD.  Besides changing the feel of the grip is there any real difference there?  Thanks for any constructive info you can provide.
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 3:34:23 PM EDT
[#1]
DD is 4 ounces lighter with aluminum barrel nut, 2 ounces with steel nut, Larue has the locking feature, Larue does not have the welded construction, Larue has "Live Free or Die" on every rail system.
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 3:39:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Side rails on DD are smaller than M1913 spec. LaRue is purple in pictures. DD tumbles their rail systems...
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 3:49:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Daniel Defense 7.0 on my carbine. Quite impressed and satisfied with it.  Diameter is small relative to other FF tubes.  Tango down panels does make it bigger -- I only use ladder rail covers.

Installation requires the muzzle device and the fixed front sight to be remove.  I didn't encounter difficulty in removing the front sight, as the cross pins were punched and hammered. DD 7.0 comes with aluminum barrel nut.  There is a very slight play probably due to not so tight lock pins.  What amazes me is its weight.  It's just similar to what I removed from my old set-up -- CAR handguard, hg cap, short light rail, delta ring, and original barrel nut.  I now have a very sturdy system for my SF light and occasional VFG.

I don't have the Larue yet, but try to read on these threads, you might get some insights.
KAC RAS II vs Troy MRF-C
Larue FF vs Troy or Samson
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 4:07:13 PM EDT
[#4]
+1 what they said.

I just bought a LaRue 9.0 for my middy project and the main feature that sold me was the LaRue have an extra two horizontal (along the barrel) machine screw fasteners mounted on a support plate between the barrel nut and the upper receiver.

The story why this change was created by LaRue is that US soldiers loosens their issue rail systems in Iraq and Afghanistan. This extra plate and fasteners prevents this from happening.

OLN network on cable and SAT are showing a video of how to install a LaRue 9.0 rails on a mid-length upper. It seems very easy if you have the proper tools.

I'll post a field report soon, after I tested it.

Both brands are great and I'm planning to buy the DD next for my next lightweight AR project.
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 7:41:00 AM EDT
[#5]
get larue cause it looks cooler
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 9:21:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Get them both.   They're both excellent; Slightly lighter weight and taller bottom rail versus anti-rotate lockplate and slightly better finish.   Prices have come way down.   See which one you like better, not which one everyone else here likes better.   You can always sell the one you don't want for a minimal loss.  

Link Posted: 10/25/2005 12:32:01 PM EDT
[#7]
The new DD rails have a finish that is comparable to LaRue now.  Just received a new 9.0 yesterday and was very please with this upgrade.  In addition, DD is now putting T numbers on their fore arms.

Link Posted: 10/27/2005 2:41:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the info everyone, particularly Kisara with the photos.

Giff if you're selling the DD rails I guess I should have ordered one when I got the barrel... I was still thinking about MRS though.
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 2:51:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Holy crap, all the posters on the wall in the background are written in gibberish!
h.gif
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 2:52:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 3:22:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Giff if you're selling the DD rails I guess I should have ordered one when I got the barrel... I was still thinking about MRS though.

Not a problem.  Just let me know if you would like to get something.

Link Posted: 10/27/2005 4:14:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I've got both.  A DD 9.5FSP on my AR15 and the Larue 13.2 on my AR10.  Overall, I like the Larue just a little bit better than the DD.  I've had the nut come loose on the DD, which isn't a good thing.  Also, the DD doesn't seem to made quite as nicely as the Larue.  I can feel an edge with my finger nail on almost every slot on my DD, but none on the Larue.

Both are nice units, but for my money, I'll go with Larue in the future.

Both rifles, side by side:

*Note - I don't think the Larue looks purple....
Link Posted: 10/29/2005 4:26:10 PM EDT
[#13]
DD got a huge military contract. So did KAC. I sort of like the idea of having something that the gubbermint bought for the field in large quantities.
Link Posted: 10/29/2005 4:31:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I sort of like the idea of having something that the gubbermint bought for the field in large quantities.

Yeah, but just because the government buys something doesn't make it the best. Something about the lowest bidder or such...
Link Posted: 10/29/2005 4:35:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/29/2005 9:59:01 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I sort of like the idea of having something that the gubbermint bought for the field in large quantities.

It was that sort of thinking that made me waste my money on a TA01-NSN years ago.   Now I know better.
Link Posted: 10/29/2005 11:00:22 PM EDT
[#17]
whats up with the welding on the DD rail by the locking nut ?
Link Posted: 10/30/2005 6:13:45 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It was that sort of thinking that made me waste my money on a TA01-NSN years ago.   Now I know better.

Kisara I totally agree....I sold a compact ACOG after I bought the NSN.  Sure wish I hadn't done that.  Now that I have an Aimpoint I rarely ever bring the ACOG out.   Hmmm, maybe I'll sell the ACOG-NSN to fund a Short Dot
Link Posted: 10/30/2005 2:42:08 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
DD got a huge military contract. So did KAC. I sort of like the idea of having something that the gubbermint bought for the field in large quantities.

Would you rather buy a product that was selected by some "supply guy" because it was either the cheapest or because of a political game or buy a rail that most of the Tier 1 SF groups run?

C4

Grant, haven't you stated in other threads that a lot more goes into picking gear, and that it's actually not neccessarily the company with the lowest bid who receives the contract?

I'm sure that plenty of people in Tier 1 units use LaRue products, but plenty are still happy with those terrible KAC RAS's too.  I'm sure the only reason the military uses tons of KAC products is that they're the cheapest.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2005 3:09:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/30/2005 4:53:11 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Would you rather buy a product that was selected by some "supply guy" because it was either the cheapest or because of a political game or buy a rail that most of the Tier 1 SF groups run?

C4

Grant, haven't you stated in other threads that a lot more goes into picking gear, and that it's actually not neccessarily the company with the lowest bid who receives the contract?

I'm sure that plenty of people in Tier 1 units use LaRue products, but plenty are still happy with those terrible KAC RAS's too.  I'm sure the only reason the military uses tons of KAC products is that they're the cheapest.  

I don't remember ever saying that (sorry). The military generally pics gear for two reasons. Cost or political. I will let you figure out which one goes with which.

C4

Hey if I accused you of something you didn't do/say I apologize.

But are you going to say that Colt rifles and KAC gear is low quality gear that is chosen simply for political or cost reasons?  What about SF lights; ACOGs, Aimpoints, Leupy optics, etc. ?
Link Posted: 10/30/2005 4:59:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/31/2005 5:14:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Grant do you know where I can buy some of that political power?  Maybe the program manager needs a trip to Hawaii or something.
Link Posted: 10/31/2005 5:48:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top