Posted: 10/3/2005 3:11:02 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:16:44 PM EDT
[#1]
dam thats sweet
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:33:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:50:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice report on the stock...I saw your pictures of a few of your platforms...The prone pics (with the shooter behind the optic) I see the scope pretty far forward, while the static pics the scope is back a bit.  With the scope this far forward, I can see why the cheek rest would not even be in the correct position.  Not that you would even use it with the current platform you are using as your scope hieght is not an issue of course.  

As for the club foot, I for one like the current design as my pull hand fit very well into pushing the stock back with this design while prone, as I do use a bag under my stocks for shooting as well.  I have not used the monopod, so this should be interesting when somoene reviews this aspect.

I do like your idea of replacing the buttpad with a plastic piece and a more course screw adjustment would be welcomed.  I look forwrd to the shooting report.

Vic
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:37:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:02:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Dude, I'm busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest.  My summer shooting is all but over.  Wish I could have seen that shooting.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:35:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

When I went into prone position the first thing I noticed, was the clubfoot did not allow me to hold the stock into my shoulder, I couldn’t touch my arm or shoulder.  If I held under the stock, my hand was too low to reach.
Here’s Damian shouldering his stock, and the shouldering the PRS to show what I’m talking about.
www.adcofirearms.com/junkpics/clubfoot.jpg

I'm glad I saw that before I bought one! I'm a firm believer of controlling elevation, by sandwiching the clubfoot between the shoulder and my palm. I don't like to get too lazy behind the gun unless I'm doing extreme long distance/benchrest shooting (ie Rail Gun stuff).

It looks like a robust stock, but it's a little too complex for 90% of my prone/sandbag shooting. Maybe in the future I'll buy a used one off EE for my AR10.

Either way, keep up the great work Rich!

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:22:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:21:41 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Dude, I'm busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest.  My summer shooting is all but over.  Wish I could have seen that shooting.

So that means you wont make it to the Varmint match this Sunday?

Prolly not.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:31:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Tag to compare notes.

Bomber
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 8:51:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 11:09:51 AM EDT
[#11]
when will these be available for purchase? any real date?
thanks.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:53:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 10:05:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Great write up bigbore

1.) I wonder... is it possible to make a charging handle shorter or just altogether different in order to have the cheek elevation brought forward to a more comfrtable position on the stock?

I know a side charger would allow this big-time but I've seen how some of those side chargers attach and they scare me. I would never put much faith in one of those.

2.) Could you post a link to a larger/high-res version of your "ideal" finished product? I'd like to see the comparison between the photos a little better. Photoshop?

3.) Do you have a monopod that you could mount on the stock? It has that rail underneath the bottom, right?

Link Posted: 10/9/2005 10:57:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 11:21:31 AM EDT
[#15]
T-A-G

Nice Stock
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 1:25:26 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd kinda like to see a pic of this too.  I'd also like to mount a mono-pod to the rail on the bottom.  I've been thinking about creating my own stock when I get back, but if there's one for sale like I want, then all the better.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 1:54:00 PM EDT
[#17]
I want one for my AR10. I usually shoot with a bunny ear bag under the buttsstock and squeeze it to control elevation on the target, so the clubfoot is a plus for me. The cheekpiece might also come in handy too. I have a night vision scope coming, and am pretty sure the eyepiece is going to be a bit higher than my daytime scope that's on it now.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:19:07 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

1.) I wonder... is it possible to make a charging handle shorter or just altogether different in order to have the cheek elevation brought forward to a more comfrtable position on the stock?

No, then you wouldnt be able to pull the carrier back far enough.

I was thinking more of a completely different type of charging handle... although I guess the options are somwhat limited by the way it functions. Everything in the AR pretty much is in its exact place for a specific reason... I was just thinking maybe some engineering guru might be able to wonder-think a way to make something that is pulled straight back a certain length work different while not drastically changing the componenets of the rifle. Probably not many options though.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:10:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Uppers are commerically available with a folding charging handle mounted on the left side of the receiver.  You can also get your conventional upper modified to provide a "bolt handle" on the right side. Either of these options would negate the need to use the normal charging handle.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:19:52 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Uppers are commerically available with a folding charging handle mounted on the left side of the receiver.  You can also get your conventional upper modified to provide a "bolt handle" on the right side. Either of these options would negate the need to use the normal charging handle.

Have you worked one of those or seen how they move the bolt? The one I saw had a small "tab" that fit into a notch in the carrier. IMHO it's very flimsy looking and I definitely wouldn't trust my life with that. There may be a more strudy side charger that I haven't seen but that's what I have seen and it's crap if you ask me.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:13:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:05:25 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
A side charging handle on an  AR15 or AR 10 has no place other than the firing line at a competition shoot. I wouldnt even think of one on a "fighting" rifle.

If they wanted it to be "battle reliable" they would need to serious rework the guts of it to make that kind of side-charging handle more sturdy. At that point it woudl almost no longer be an AR...

Probably better off just going with an AK or FAL if you really want side charging... but this is probably taking this thread way off course. Sorry for the hijack. We now return you to your orignally posted topic

Magpuls New (pre-production) PRS Stock Arrived - Range Report  
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 9:28:56 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have you worked one of those or seen how they move the bolt? The one I saw had a small "tab" that fit into a notch in the carrier. IMHO it's very flimsy looking and I definitely wouldn't trust my life with that. There may be a more strudy side charger that I haven't seen but that's what I have seen and it's crap if you ask me.

We use side chargers almost exclusively here in the UK and having shot literally thousands of rounds with them, as have others, cycling the action with them for each shot, have never seen one break.
They are strong and reliable

Mark
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 9:52:02 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
We use side chargers almost exclusively here in the UK and having shot literally thousands of rounds with them, as have others, cycling the action with them for each shot, have never seen one break.

Side charging AR's? That's what I'm referring to. IF so that's good to know.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 10:02:53 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Side charging AR's? That's what I'm referring to. IF so that's good to know.

DPMS ones are the most readily available here.
I'm hoping to pick up a couple of the VM Hy-tech receivers when I come over next year

Mark
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 10:18:53 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I'm hoping to pick up a couple of the VM Hy-tech receivers when I come over next year

Mark

I'm not sure what the brand is on the one I have seen. I'd like to see how the DPMS is set up internally. Got any pics?
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 10:33:43 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mark

I'm not sure what the brand is on the one I have seen. I'd like to see how the DPMS is set up internally. Got any pics?

I will take some, bear with me............................
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 11:26:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Dead sexy!!!
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 11:36:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Pics deleted
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 11:56:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Yep, that's the one I was thinking of.

I just think that little "tab" that fits into the slot cut into the carrier is a weak point. Granted I have no idea how much force it would take to "shear" it off, but it seems a lot less "sturdy" than the standard charging handle. It's coming off of an essentially flat piece of metal.

If it works for you then great. I'd certainly like to hear from more people that have used them to confirm or trash my "theory" of malfunction possibilities.

Great pics. Thanks for posting them.

PS... maybe we should move this to another thread... we're hijacking this one big time.

Here it is.
streatfighter... if you coudl move your pictures to the new thread that would be great.

bigbore, if you want us to delete the hijacking posts from this thread let us know.

PSS... streatfighter, your bolt and carrier are funky!!
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 12:05:08 PM EDT
[#31]
[offtopic] nice black monster [/offtopic]
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 12:21:27 PM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 10/13/2005 2:11:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Does this stock fit on the AR10 recoil spring housing tube or does this have to be changed to something else? If so, which tube is used?
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 6:59:05 PM EDT
[#34]
I bet a charging handle cold be designed 2 peice such that you would sorta raise it up after pulling it out half way. It would have say a hinge in the middle, I think it could work.
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 3:57:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 9:13:53 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Damian said it was like he was chewing on it with his back teeth, which is a very good analogy.

Actually that's a very good simile.
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 1:16:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Just got mine today....
Link Posted: 10/28/2005 7:15:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Are these stocks available now?
Link Posted: 10/29/2005 5:06:58 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 10/29/2005 5:28:05 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Apparently only for industry folks... not us lowly consumer peons.
Link Posted: 10/29/2005 5:50:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/29/2005 5:54:00 PM EDT
[#42]
I WANT ONE!
Link Posted: 10/29/2005 6:14:24 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
As Magpul get feedback from the industry folks, you'll be getting a better stock than whats available now

That's what mods and marks are for. PRS Mk2... PRS Mod 3... What if they just kept making AR's and sending them to Industry Partners to get feedback from... we'd never get them.
Link Posted: 10/30/2005 10:22:45 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I WANT ONE!
img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/fister117/childhavingfit.gif

ROFL

I've got to say I'm feeling pretty jealous. Can't wait till these are up for sale!

Link Posted: 11/4/2005 6:05:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/4/2005 6:47:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Cool.
Link Posted: 11/4/2005 6:49:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 11/4/2005 6:51:33 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Its done!  instead of only having an extendable length of pull, mine now has a fully adjustable length of pull.  Fully closed its shorter than an A1 stock, fully extended its just shorter than an A2(if I want it as long as an A2 - I'll use an A2).  Now I need to load up more ammo so I can go out and shoot.

www.adcofirearms.com/images/prsmodified.jpg

Ok I'll admit it, that is pretty cool.

We are building the M93 replacement to fit Big Boar's other requirements. It will have a fixed cheek piece and a greater LOP range.

I know I'm pushing it here, but can you please divulge any more details?
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 5:02:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 6:38:15 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Its done!  instead of only having an extendable length of pull, mine now has a fully adjustable length of pull.  Fully closed its shorter than an A1 stock, fully extended its just shorter than an A2(if I want it as long as an A2 - I'll use an A2).  Now I need to load up more ammo so I can go out and shoot.

www.adcofirearms.com/images/prsmodified.jpg

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top