Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2005 6:16:41 AM EDT
Hey guys, I was wondering are M16 carrier/bolt groups legal in otherwise semi auto rifles?   I know the carier is different, but is the bolt also different from a semi bolt?   thanks.

thanks for the help.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 6:31:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, it is legal.  A bolt is a bolt, the only difference is in the carrier.
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 6:36:18 AM EDT
[#2]
OMFG
AGNTSA
You gotta be shitting me.

You've been on Arfcom since '01. Do you jsut look at the pretty pictures?

lol...check the legal section. there's a thread that's been going for ages there. Bottom line: Yes. An M16 bolt/carrier is perfectly legal.
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 6:48:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Here's a current discussion link in the AR Discussions forum.

Colt 6920 warning thread link
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 8:46:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the help.  The main thing is that my Colt lowers all have the stupid block so I can't use the full circle carriers.  

NAM, Yes I do like the pretty pictures of AR's.  I do keep up with AR's and have many, but I just don't keep up with the different rules the ATF likes to change for no reason.

Alpha-Romeo3  thanks for the link.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 6:51:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
NAM, Yes I do like the pretty pictures of AR's.  I do keep up with AR's and have many, but I just don't keep up with the different rules the ATF likes to change for no reason.

Jsut giving ya shit Question has been asked alot. Then again, i find new stuff here every day.
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 8:41:04 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Hey guys, I was wondering are M16 carrier/bolt groups legal in otherwise semi auto rifles?   I know the carier is different, but is the bolt also different from a semi bolt?   thanks.

thanks for the help.  

It's legal, but kinda pointless...
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 10:04:48 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thanks for the help.  

How so?  I use my uppers on friends full auto lowers and have greater mass and cover firimg pin ramp to improve reliability.  I dont think its pointless at all.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 6:34:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The main thing is that my Colt lowers all have the stupid block so I can't use the full circle carriers.

If you want to use the full circle carriers you have a few options:

You could use a enhanced carrier (see top carrier in pic), if the rear circle doesn't hit your block.

You could remove your block like a lot of guys here using a dremel and very carefully cutting it. There are detailed threads with photos that shows step by step instructions, do a search.

A gunsmith could also remove the block if you wish.

Replace your lower with new Match Target, 6920, 6721 etc. which don't have blocks.

I never had any problems with my former Colt Lightweight carbine but now I'm using a LMT M16 carrier on my LMT M4gery to improve it's reliability. I'm just copying the current Colt 6920 version.

Top: Normal AR-15 Carrier
Middle: Colt "SP1" style Carrier
Bottom: M-16 Carrier

Pic source quarterbore.com link
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 10:12:54 AM EDT
[#9]
I didn't believe it was legal until someone posted an ATF letter stating otherwise.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 10:17:29 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I didn't believe it was legal until someone posted an ATF letter stating otherwise.

Sure it was.  The ATF letter just PROVED that it was legal.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 6:13:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 6:19:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thanks for the help.  

It is, after all, the original design.  Everything else is just a bastardized, PC version of the original design.  And, since it is the original design, you will see fewer problems when running them.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 8:17:04 AM EDT
[#13]
M16 Carriers are legal.

My Colt AR6450 9mm has a full auto carrier in it. Colt has been doing that for a long time in their 9mm carbines and nobody has minded that.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 8:21:03 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thanks for the help.  

You = Brainless
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 5:13:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Top Top