Link Posted: 3/22/2005 8:03:02 AM EDT
[#1]
this is the midlength correct????

how much?????

Link Posted: 3/22/2005 8:18:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/22/2005 9:32:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Are they going to be making any MRF-CX's soon?  If so, how much?
Link Posted: 3/22/2005 9:43:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks good but I'm surprised they didn't keep the extra button screw that helps to secure the bottom half.  It's seems like it would be nice to have that option.   Any idea why they got rid of that feature?  
Link Posted: 3/22/2005 9:48:48 AM EDT
[#5]
C4iGrant, thank you for taking pictures and sharing this with us!  My honest observations & opinions follow.

Quoted:
I just got some of the next generation of TROY FF rails in. They have made the detent pin larger and more robust, the machining quality appears to be much better to me and they now come with 3 Tango Down Rail cover.

C4

www.gandrtactical.com

www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/TROY/MRF-MX.JPG

Here you can see the shaved-end Tango Down rail panels, they look very nice and should save you some time with a hacksaw and fine sand paper, though mine turned out just as nice.  Got to love good plastics/polymers, you can't even tell mine were sanded.  Any chance they will be offering the rail with CB or OD panels?

Notice also the top rail is quite different.  The rails start nearer the receiver than before and end a little further from the end of the rail.  That is a small plus IMO as it allows a larger portion of various optics mounts' to engage the receiver & the rail more 50/50ish.  More half on one half on the other so to speak.

Also looks like the bottom rail ends before reaching the end of the rail?  Hard to see in the pic, can you confirm?  Why would they do this?

Also notice there are only 11 lightening holes along the length of the rail (between the top, bottom & side rails) vs. 13 on the original.  This cuts costs and improves the strength of the rail, but also increases weight.  IMO, a small minus as more strength along this area vs. the way forces would be directed there are unneccesary.  Just more weight IMO.  Have you had a chance to put it on a scale Grant?

The machining does look very nice.

www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/TROY/MRF-MX%20engraving.JPG

MRF-10? Patent Pending?

Troy MRF (latest rev):

Samson MRFS (latest rev):

The detend doesn't look any larger to me than on the MOD3 clamp (compare to allen head screws).  Also the Samson MRFS has recessed the detent to keep it from being depressed accidentally.  Admittedly this would be highly unlikely even without the recess as there is a long travel to depress it.  On the Samson MRFS you also have the choice of using the allen head screw for extra security, though I haven't needed it.

Also on the MRFS clamp the parts are captured so you don't have to keep track of a little detent and spring or possibly loose them.

Since my MRFS install I've put 650 rounds down range mostly standing or kneeling (or somewhere between the two) during drills and no problem with lower rail staying put since the new larger detent.  That's in addition to trying to remove it any way I could w/o depressing the detent by "non-standard use".    The Troy MRF shouldn't have any problems in this respect either IMO.

Any other changes that you can see Grant?  Any idea if they thickened the lower tabs on the upper half of the rail where the lower rail slides in?  This would be a BIG plus IMO and one of my main reasons for prefering the Samson MRFS.

It's hard to tell but it doesn't look like there are KAC panel relief cuts at the front of the rail, can you confirm or deny?  Personally I'd rather not have them as I don't use KAC panels or even like them all that much, but others seem to want them.

Not a fan of the black lettering, too hard to see in dim light... glad they are changing back.
Link Posted: 3/22/2005 10:54:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/22/2005 11:25:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/22/2005 12:02:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I just got mine too.  I'm stoked.

I'm very pleased with these and hope to have them installed in the next few days.  Unfortunately a personal situation (good, but time consuming nonetheless) prevents me from doing anything more indepth right now.

But I concur with Grant.  Good stuff!

It does appear that the anti-rotation wings and lower rail interface notches are thicker.  I remain skeptical on the lack of a lower rail lock screw, but will trust Grant and others that the thicker detente pin resolve the Mod-1 problems.

I'll get back with more before this weekend.

Corey

PS  I have a bit more time before I have to run.  The Troy BUIS's are incredible.  Black as night, the front sight post now turns with a crushed 5.56 case, and the same plane dual aperture rear sight is perfect IMHO (it opens with the big aperture).  Oh, and I like (prefer) the subdued lettering so I guess I lucked out!  
Link Posted: 3/22/2005 1:56:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Can we get a shot from the front?
Link Posted: 3/22/2005 4:10:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/22/2005 4:56:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Great picture, thank you sir!
Link Posted: 3/22/2005 5:40:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/22/2005 6:59:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I received an MRF-C yesterday and installed it tonight.   I compared it to my old MRF-C I am replacing and noticed the new design seems lighter.  There are less lightening holes in the sides of the new Rev 3 but there are cuts in upper inside section under the rail.   There are also threaded holes in the rail.
The bottom sliding rail is shorter overall.  That is in height not length.  I had to trim my handguard cap a bit where the old one cleared no problem.  
Corey , no worries about the lack of a locking screw for the bottom rail.  The detent engages in more of the hole of the bottom rail.  The first thing I did was test to see if the rail would move at all when I pushed forward on my forward grip.  Solid as a rock.
The machining looked great as was the old rail.  This rev is an evolution of the product.  I could give specific dimensions of the differences but I am afraid someone might steal the details and build a product just like it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2005 7:46:54 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The machining looked great as was the old rail.  This rev is an evolution of the product.  I could give specific dimensions of the differences but I am afraid someone might steal the details and build a product just like it.

Yeah, they should probably patent that <-C4i inspired smart ass remark
Link Posted: 3/22/2005 8:26:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/23/2005 3:41:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/23/2005 6:59:50 AM EDT
[#17]
So when do we get to see one mounted?
Link Posted: 3/23/2005 7:07:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/23/2005 8:18:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Very nice Grant! I'm definitely looking hard at this handguard as an option. Mainly because I'm leaning towards the TR21 as my optic (plus the ease of installation ).

Can you tell me, if I plan on using the TR21 and the Larue SPR scope mount, if needed can the SPR scope mount bridge the flat top upper and the troy rail?

The reason I ask is that I'm not exactly sure where the scope will end up until I get it and try it out on my AR. It would be nice to know that if I had a nose to charging handle cheek weld and the SPR mount still didn't move the scope far enough forward to compensate for the eye relief, that I could move the SPR mount forward so that it was bridging the "gap" for proper placement. Thanks!

ETA: FWIW, I also like the white lettering better!
Link Posted: 3/23/2005 8:22:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/23/2005 8:28:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Wow, the new Troy's look great.
Link Posted: 3/23/2005 8:35:49 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Very nice Grant! I'm definitely looking hard at this handguard as an option. Mainly because I'm leaning towards the TR21 as my optic (plus the ease of installation ).

Can you tell me, if I plan on using the TR21 and the Larue SPR scope mount, if needed can the SPR scope mount bridge the flat top upper and the troy rail?

The reason I ask is that I'm not exactly sure where the scope will end up until I get it and try it out on my AR. It would be nice to know that if I had a nose to charging handle cheek weld and the SPR mount still didn't move the scope far enough forward to compensate for the eye relief, that I could move the SPR mount forward so that it was bridging the "gap" for proper placement. Thanks!

Have you seen the new mount that LT built (at the specific request of the Military) for the TR21 (or any low power optic)???

C4

www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/LT/LT%20EER%20SPR.JPG

Uhhh...no!

Thanks, that looks like an excellent option!

This definitely brings back the option of a Larue forend for me...hmmm...

ETA: BTW, what trigger is on that AR?
Link Posted: 3/23/2005 10:04:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Payment sent Grant!
Link Posted: 3/23/2005 10:08:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/23/2005 10:11:23 AM EDT
[#25]
I absolutely positively DID NOT have any spare time to mess with these today, but I did it anyway.  

I'm sold on the new detent pin.  Engaged on my BM upper that would not work with the Mod-1.  It seems this Mod-4 has solved the problems.  I'm satisfied with no set screw.

These installed very easily on two uppers.  I have no working digital camera, so I'll have to take them the old fashioned way.  Unfortunately that will not happen until tomorrow at the earliest, likely closer to or over this weekend.

I am EXTREMELY satisfied with the two MRF-MX's that I installed today.  These two uppers are like MRF-esque monolithic uppers.  Really nice.

The Larue (I know you all are probably sick of hearing about Larue, right?) SPR scope mount makes an ideal rail alignment tool and works much better than the A3 carry handle IMHO.  It seems more solid.  Just factor in the $200 for the rail alignment tool and look on the bright side -- the tool can also be used to hold your favorite scope.  

More later....  Gotta run.

Corey

Link Posted: 3/23/2005 10:13:12 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I absolutely positively DID NOT have any spare time to mess with these today, but I did it anyway.  

I'm sold on the new detent pin.  Engaged on my BM upper that would not work with the Mod-1.  It seems this Mod-4 has solved the problems.  I'm satisfied with no set screw.

These installed very easily on two uppers.  I have no working digital camera, so I'll have to take them the old fashioned way.  Unfortunately that will not happen until tomorrow at the earliest, likely closer to or over this weekend.

I am EXTREMELY satisfied with the two MRF-MX's that I installed today.  These two uppers are like MRF-esque monolithic uppers.  Really nice.

The Larue (I know you all are probably sick of hearing about Larue, right?) SPR scope mount makes an ideal rail alignment tool and works much better than the A3 carry handle IMHO.  It seems more solid.  Just factor in the $200 for the rail alignment tool and look on the bright side -- the tool can also be used to hold your favorite scope.  

More later....  Gotta run.

Corey

Link Posted: 3/23/2005 10:24:06 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have you seen the new mount that LT built (at the specific request of the Military) for the TR21 (or any low power optic)???

C4

www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/LT/LT%20EER%20SPR.JPG

Uhhh...no!

Thanks, that looks like an excellent option!

This definitely brings back the option of a Larue forend for me...hmmm...

ETA: BTW, what trigger is on that AR?

No idea on the trigger as the weapon isn't mine.

C4

Seems to mimick the quick detach levers on the Larue mounts.....hmmmmmm......could Larue be working on it's own trigger assembly?
Link Posted: 3/23/2005 5:28:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/24/2005 7:33:10 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Seems to mimick the quick detach levers on the Larue mounts.....hmmmmmm......could Larue be working on it's own trigger assembly?

Don't hold your breath!

C4

I actually emailed Mark Larue about it and he said that he didn't know what trigger it was. He told me the name of the guy who owned the rifle. Don't know if that guy would like me posting his name on here though. Just thought it looked interesting, but I still like my standard lower parts group

ETA: Sorry for the thread hijack...now back to your regular Troy MRF-MX scheduled programming.
Link Posted: 4/5/2005 4:30:58 PM EDT
[#30]
WOW!

Thanks Grant!

This is my new favorite rail.

and yes I know you don't need a crush washer with a vortex. I'm just that anal about the wrench slots being to the sides at 90 degrees.
Link Posted: 4/5/2005 5:07:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/30/2005 10:01:04 PM EDT
[#32]
cool stuff.
Link Posted: 5/1/2005 10:57:46 AM EDT
[#33]
I was all stoked when I found a set of new in the sealed box Troy MRF-C.  Purchased it right away.  Opened it to find that the lettering was all blacked out, and included three TangoDown rail covers cut to fit.  Super!  Removed the delta ring and all funiture, attached as instructed.  Looked excellent.

Attached a TangoDown VFG, and it would move laterally.  Attached a KAC VFG, and it would move left/right/fore/aft even after really tighten down.  On the box, it's labelled rev 3.  I attached a Surefire M900, and noticed that the lower rail move ever slow slightly forward, even with the detente locked.  Everybody said their products were milspec.  

Removed attachments and attached to another rail system.....tight.

I was able to shim up the lower rail where it touches the lower locking clamp (electrical tape cut to fit) and now does not move fore/aft.  Now tight with a M900.  Seems that it's undersized a few thousands.

Called Troy, spoke to Brett who stated that he would send out a replacement/exchange.  Also ordered another TD VFG and asked him to attached it to see if there was any movement too.  Waiting for them to ship.   I would have liked to see the threaded screw as an option.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top