Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2005 11:33:44 AM EDT
How do stainless steel barrels compare to standard mil-spec barrels in regards to:

1) General durability against weather?

2) Accuracy?

3) Weight?

I know in Alaska, hunters usually prefer weapons with stainless steel barrels because they are known to better withstand the more common moist environment of Alaska.

Give me your two cents.

Regards  
Link Posted: 3/6/2005 11:51:34 AM EDT
[#1]
While we're at it... how about tossing Chromed into the mix... are they just regular barrels that have been chromed like the same way auto parts are chromed? Or are they made from different stuff altogether?

And what is each type best for?
Link Posted: 3/6/2005 11:59:44 AM EDT
[#2]
SS is a more accurate, but doesn't last as long and is more prone to damage from cleaning or heavy use.  

Chrome is slightly less accurate, but lasts a lot longer under harsher conditions.  It is a lot better than auto chrome, believe me.  In addition, chrome barrel generally have looser chambers, for reliability.
Link Posted: 3/6/2005 12:00:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Its all good. If any particular type of barrel sucked then nobody would use it. Heres my advice. Pick the barrel for you particular application. I like stainless. Looks good, doesn't rust. If you want black barrels, pic steel or chromed. the differences are pretty minimal IMHO.

-foxxz
Link Posted: 3/6/2005 12:00:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/6/2005 12:22:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The hell stainless doesnt rust....

It doesn't rust in the traditional sense. It can corrode in some conditions. if the surface is contaminated with with carbon steel it can produce rust-like color. stainless can rust if its poor quality.

-foxxz
Link Posted: 3/6/2005 2:29:16 PM EDT
[#6]
    I think it's that stainless steel doesn't rust as easily, quickly as carbon steel, but it can still rust.
Link Posted: 3/6/2005 5:59:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Get Stainless, if you want  a black barrel, spray it with krylon flat (matte) spray paint.
Link Posted: 3/6/2005 6:06:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 7:42:36 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It doesn't rust in the traditional sense. It can corrode in some conditions. if the surface is contaminated with with carbon steel it can produce rust-like color. stainless can rust if its poor quality.

-foxxz

Nothing personal, but you clearly don't know what you're talking about.

Link Posted: 3/7/2005 4:03:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

+1

We had a 5906 at work that hadn't been touched for about a year and had small rust spots all over it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 4:24:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Just to throw something else into the mix:  I have a stainless 16" long,  0.75" diam barrel that changes point of impact about 6 MOA down when I put a suppressor on it, while my mil-spec M4 4150 chrome lined steel barrel changes POI less than one MOA with the can.  Also, the chrome lined shoots about 1-1.5 MOA with EVERY kind of ammo I've fed it, while the stainless varies from 0.75MOA to about 2 MOA, depending on ammo.  

All this was kind of a surprise to me, as I'd always kind of known that stainless steel was generally softer, but never thought that extra flex would matter that much in POI shift and "finickyness" regarding loads.  I'd say if you're looking for a "target" rifle where sub-MOA groups are called for, then stainless is probably better if you will take the time to find a pet load.  But for general use, I will pick chrome-lined 4150 every time from now on.

(AND stainless absolutyly will rust, just not as fast as chromoly type steels - I've found rust spots on two of my guns years ago when I thought stainless wouldn't rust.)

Link Posted: 3/7/2005 4:36:11 PM EDT
[#12]

...But for general use, I will pick chrome-lined 4150 every time from now on...

I agree with you on this part, but you just don't see many 20" 1/7 chrome-lined barrels for sale, while 1/7 or 1/8 stainless barrels are everywhere.  

ETA:  I'd just about give a left nut for a 20" HBAR chrome-lined 1/8 barrel.  Anybody ever heard of one???
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 5:11:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

...But for general use, I will pick chrome-lined 4150 every time from now on...

I agree with you on this part, but you just don't see many 20" 1/7 chrome-lined barrels for sale, while 1/7 or 1/8 stainless barrels are everywhere.  

ETA:  I'd just about give a left nut for a 20" HBAR chrome-lined 1/8 barrel.  Anybody ever heard of one???

I have a 20 inch 1/7 twist Colt HBAR barrel that I might be willing to part with.  It has never had a FSB attached to it.  If you are interested email me.
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 5:17:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

They are not common but they are available if you keep an eye out.  I've got several in my safe.   You can expect to see some available later this spring or summer.   The demand is obviously there and I'm sure that somebody will respond.  I saw a post earlier today that CMT will be releasing carbine lenght chrome lined 1/7 barrel.

I've never seen a chrome lined 1/8 period.  The only HBAR 1/7 chrome lined I've seen were Colt.  And a left nut is about what those cost.
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 4:17:28 PM EDT
[#15]
I really appreciate everyone's advice. I'm split between a Bushmaster 14.5" w/ perm. attached phantom and a 16" stainless steel  flutted barrel from RRA. I definately want the accuracy of a stainless 16" and the ability to be able to use a Gamtech suppressor in the future if means permit (must have A2 type NATO flash hider). I however, love the appearance, weight and durability of a Bushmaster 14.5" M4 type chrome lined barrel. As I am still a graduate student, I don't have the means to buy both barrels. Functionally, I would like a rifle that I can trust to protect the lives of my family and I should the need every permit (i.e., combat tough).

Regards
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 6:55:14 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

and here I was wanting to retire my Blued Rem 700 and get a Stainless Rem 700 ... I guess if you neglect them, there is no real difference between the two ... AND if you take care of them there is no real difference between the two!  (in terms of moisture resistance)
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 9:08:30 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
mywebpages.comcast.net/hoplophile/StainlessIsnt.jpg

and here I was wanting to retire my Blued Rem 700 and get a Stainless Rem 700 ... I guess if you neglect them, there is no real difference between the two ... AND if you take care of them there is no real difference between the two!  (in terms of moisture resistance)

The first thing to remember is that 'stainless' refers to a whole category of alloys.  416 stainless which is normally used for barrels is at the edge of being called stainless.  It is more resistant than other normal types of steel but can still rust.  There are other grades of stainless that are more resistant but they are unsuited to barrels because of issues with things like not being the right hardness or not being able to handle heat as well.

The important lesson from the picture I posted is to throoughly clean the barrel after shooting corrosive ammo and not be a dumbass like me.  What makes it really bad is that was the second time I did that.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 10:39:55 AM EDT
[#18]

The first thing to remember is that 'stainless' refers to a whole category of alloys.  416 stainless which is normally used for barrels is at the edge of being called stainless.  It is more resistant than other normal types of steel but can still rust.  There are other grades of stainless that are more resistant but they are unsuited to barrels because of issues with things like not being the right hardness or not being able to handle heat as well.

The important lesson from the picture I posted is to throoughly clean the barrel after shooting corrosive ammo and not be a dumbass like me.  What makes it really bad is that was the second time I did that.  

Where does 410 stainless fit in and who uses it?
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 12:33:13 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Where does 410 stainless fit in and who uses it?

Anything in the 400 series is pretty much the same.  416 is jut 410 with addititives that make it easier to machine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top