BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/28/2004 2:26:33 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 3:30:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks nice! Any pictures of the midlength version?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 3:31:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 3:34:39 PM EDT
[#3]
are they going to offer a rifle length version? can you use a gas block on it instead of the standard front sight? make sure you post the price when you find out.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 3:42:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Interesting looking but I think they're a bit late in the game with the raised upper rail sleeve. The CAS-V kind of looks like a combo between a SIR and the GGG rail.  

It also doesn't look like it would cowitness for us EOJunkies and he GGG has the same ability.

What's the pricing on these?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:13:18 PM EDT
[#5]
It looks nice and everything, but it would have to show some benefit that I could not live without to switch to it.  I just don't see it happening, for me anyway.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:19:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the CAS-V on my rifle (mid-length) and I really like it... the quality is top notch, best system of its type out there.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:37:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:50:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:57:23 PM EDT
[#9]
It looks HEAVY.  Have you weighed it yet?  With all the rails installed, without and with enough for a vertical grip and flash light and possibly a laser would be nice.  Perhaps just the forearm and seperate weights for the rails so we can figure it out ourselves.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:00:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:08:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the all the info.....................................interesting.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:18:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Krylon?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:49:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
It looks HEAVY.  Have you weighed it yet?  With all the rails installed, without and with enough for a vertical grip and flash light and possibly a laser would be nice.  Perhaps just the forearm and seperate weights for the rails so we can figure it out ourselves.

The boys at ASAR say that the Ti model weighs in about the same as a comperable SIR and that the aluminum version is lighter than a comperable SIR.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:15:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Very interesting.....
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:20:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Is it touching the front sight and/or the retaining cap?
Thanks.....Chad
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:54:47 PM EDT
[#16]
OK, I'm sitting here researching rail forends and this caught me by surprise.  It looks awesome!  I can't find anything about it on the web.  Is it available?  Pricing announced?

Oh and do you know the weight on it?  (snicker snicker)  
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:55:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Holy ****, I think I've finally found a rail system that I like!!!
My biggest gripe with any rail system was what I called the "snag factor". I believe that whatever can get caught on my clothes, on my bag, etc., will. Hell, even the front bead on my shotgun seems to catch on the zipper every time I pull it out. Maybe I'm unlucky but it never seems to fail. With these massive rail systems, I could just see my sling getting tangled, my clothes getting cut up, or the inside of my bag looking like it just got passed through an industrial shredder. Finally, somebody out there must have been listening to all of my whining!

Now the other concern: what's the price? Is it going to be as ridiculously expensive as the SIR or are they going to sell it for $200 or so?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:08:00 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Holy ****, I think I've finally found a rail system that I like!!!
My biggest gripe with any rail system was what I called the "snag factor". I believe that whatever can get caught on my clothes, on my bag, etc., will. Hell, even the front bead on my shotgun seems to catch on the zipper every time I pull it out. Maybe I'm unlucky but it never seems to fail. With these massive rail systems, I could just see my sling getting tangled, my clothes getting cut up, or the inside of my bag looking like it just got passed through an industrial shredder. Finally, somebody out there must have been listening to all of my whining!

Now the other concern: what's the price? Is it going to be as ridiculously expensive as the SIR or are they going to sell it for $200 or so?

I agree with you on the Snag Factor. I like the idea of Abrams simplicity. The user can keep it basic and add rails when needed. I got to play with one at the SHOT Show and found it very low profile. I think Abrams did there homework with this design.

Yes, the next question is, how much?

ls
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:11:30 PM EDT
[#19]
I have two of these - the mid-length and the carbine.  I like them a lot.
They seem pretty lightweight to me, without all the bulk of the SIR.  I can't say if the rails are "spec" because I don't have a go/no go gauge, but everything I've put on them, from SF M900 to Fobus cheapie flashlight mounts to Tango Down vertgrip to Aimpoints to some other things all fit fine...  I've had them for a couple months now... my first concern was the system seems/looks to unlatch from those front tabs - I was worried that when you did a muzzle strike on something hard, pushing forward from the vert grip, the system would become unlatched and the lower portion would fly forward, so I got my gun dirty and shoved it a mess of times into a railroad tie and into a rubber mat on concrete.  But whether I shoved from the rear grip or entirely from the front, I couldn't get it to do what I feared, so I dunno... I guess my worries are unfounded.  (The TangoD V-grip didn't break or slide either, kudos!)  I talked with them about the why on this rail system, and apparently the force direction acts to spread the tabs deeper into their positions rather than out of them. Eh, ok... Either way, it's very robust, extremely simple to take off/put on - whereas some of these rail systems you have to read the owners manual a few times to figure it out  :)

Good system.  Can't fit most suppressors under it though.

Kel
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:15:56 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Good system.  Can't fit most suppressors under it though.

Kel

Kel-

Could you make a can fit within the inner rails?

ls
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:50:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:19:40 AM EDT
[#22]
I suppose you could remove the retaining cap as well since its not needed. But that would eliminate the easy to install factor.

I too would like to see cost and availability numbers.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:35:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:55:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Ok, I just called them up and spoke to a really nice guy by the name of Cade (I think he's the guy who runs the place). The prices have not been finalized but the carbine version should be somewhere around $275 and the midlength around $290. For the titanium, it's about $70-80 more.
2 words: Christmas present (for myself of course).
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:32:36 AM EDT
[#25]
From what I understand is that you don't have to remove the front post site or mess with the Delta ring at all. Is that correct? Looks easy to mount and from what others said, its solid.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:19:23 AM EDT
[#26]
You do have to take off the delta ring. It's attached in 2 places, the rails on top and at the base of the barrel (like a normal FF tube).
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:44:49 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
You do have to take off the delta ring. It's attached in 2 places, the rails on top and at the base of the barrel (like a normal FF tube).

I haven't actually touched one, but from the pictures, the delta ring is still in place and it looks like you just have to press them down like installing normal handguards.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:53:43 PM EDT
[#28]
When I called Abrams up, I talked with the person who I am pretty sure designed and/or is in charge of manufacturing them. This guy knew what he was talking about and he said you had to take off the delta ring. I don't think you can ask for a much better source than that.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:38:14 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
When I called Abrams up, I talked with the person who I am pretty sure designed and/or is in charge of manufacturing them. This guy knew what he was talking about and he said you had to take off the delta ring. I don't think you can ask for a much better source than that.

Thats kinda funny since every pic posted, includeing the Vltor one shows clearly the Delta ring still attached to the rifle. Id say someone doesnt know what there talking about.............
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:45:49 PM EDT
[#30]
btt
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:14:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:15:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:17:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:12:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Ok, I guess I just might have misunderstood what the guy told me. My appologies.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:14:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:18:11 PM EDT
[#36]

me likey
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:51:45 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Ok, I just called them up and spoke to a really nice guy by the name of Cade (I think he's the guy who runs the place). The prices have not been finalized but the carbine version should be somewhere around $275 and the midlength around $290. For the titanium, it's about $70-80 more.
2 words: Christmas present (for myself of course).

I would have to say, Christmas and Birthday present for me. I want one, or three so bad!

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:54:02 PM EDT
[#38]
are these free floating? or more or less a standard handguard with rails couldn't tell from pic
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:33:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Does anyone know the website address for Abram Small Arms Research?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:47:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:48:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:53:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Nice
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:48:21 AM EDT
[#43]
Are they going to make a full length model? Also, what about AR10s.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:17:05 PM EDT
[#44]
I wonder what the odds are of finding one for sale at Gunstock.  Hmmmmm.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:28:48 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
You do not have to remove the Delta ring, front sight, or anything. As mentioned, you simply hold the delta ring back, as you would for installing regular handguards, and then slide the CAS-V down so that the two tabs go over the barrel nut edge, and then release the delta ring to snap back in place.

So that's all there is for installation? Like a set of handguards?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:40:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Help ho! Where are ye pictures?
Is the bandwidth up?  Are the pictures removed?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:29:31 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Help ho! Where are ye pictures?
Is the bandwidth up?  Are the pictures removed?

Tagged, so hopefully I can see the pics later.

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:38:09 PM EDT
[#48]
I didn't ask about an AR-10 model but a rifle length is in the works. If you want a FF AR-10 tube, Armalite is having a sale on their fiberglass ones for under $50.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:01:41 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You do not have to remove the Delta ring, front sight, or anything. As mentioned, you simply hold the delta ring back, as you would for installing regular handguards, and then slide the CAS-V down so that the two tabs go over the barrel nut edge, and then release the delta ring to snap back in place.

So that's all there is for installation? Like a set of handguards?

***No, it's even easier than a set of handguards, because the front is floating - you don't need three hands like standard AR handguards  :)  Just pop the delta ring back enough to work the handguard in while sliding in the top rail for fit - there's also the two allen key tightening screws on the top rail that isn't mentioned in the above quote.  Pop on the lower half, which is easy as pie, and poof, there ya are.

Kel (who went and finally nailed some more stuff to my 14.5" DPMS rifle with CAS-V system today just to look at it with things all over it)
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:05:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Ah, well I've gotten pretty good at using two hands for a three hand job

I'm definately going to have to look into a rifle length one then!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top